• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If we're currently doing a Smash Ultimate tier list, we should look at littlre mac's placement

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
I just looked at Sol's Twitter and he tweeted that he took first place in an event using little mac, here's his post:

"Holy **** I won!! The highest result of my half decade career. 1st out of 161 people. Went all Mac winners finals and Grand Finals. Hell yeah!! Shoutouts to
@noblegg
. I think this is the highest singular Mac placement in ultimate so far! Beyond Proud." - Sol

https://mobile.twitter.com/Solreth/status/1083996403813236736

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
inb4 "everyone was simply trash compared to Sol, which is the only reason he won with Mac".

People have already concluded that Mac is the worst character. Nothing will change their mind, not even Sol winning a major tournament, because then the goalposts will shift to "only Sol plays Mac well, so Mac is still a horrible character because only one person plays him well". This argument fails spectacularly because anything Sol does with Mac, anyone can do with Mac, unless people think that Sol somehow changes how Little Mac works in the game's code whenever he picks him.

Even if Mac is the worst character in the game, he isn't trash tier, as Sol has shown. Which is why "F tier" doesn't exist in this game.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Hate to break it to you, but because of one guy winning one tournament with Mac =/= reconsider his tier placement. Sure tournament results can help, but it isn't the full picture of how a character should be perceived in tier lists. That and again, it's one dude so far that got this far. Other factors come into play and there are reasons why Little Mac is considered the worst to many players. It's just reality and it's not going to change until something drastic happens. It's gonna take more than one tournament to show what a character is made of even if it means he's like 2nd worst or 3rd.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mac may still be the worst, but this may show he's undeserving of his own dumpster tier.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Hate to break it to you, but because of one guy winning one tournament with Mac =/= reconsider his tier placement. Sure tournament results can help, but it isn't the full picture of how a character should be perceived in tier lists. That and again, it's one dude so far that got this far. Other factors come into play and there are reasons why Little Mac is considered the worst to many players. It's just reality and it's not going to change until something drastic happens. It's gonna take more than one tournament to show what a character is made of even if it means he's like 2nd worst or 3rd.
I have to ask, exactly what other factors come into play other than tournament results? What objective factors are there other than the end result of high level play should tier lists be based around? I have yet to find any other good reason other than to go by cold, hard, objective evidence. Unless you don't want tier lists to be as objectively close to reality as possible and want subjective viewpoints to dictate tier placement.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I have to ask, exactly what other factors come into play other than tournament results? What objective factors are there other than the end result of high level play should tier lists be based around? I have yet to find any other good reason other than to go by cold, hard, objective evidence. Unless you don't want tier lists to be as objectively close to reality as possible and want subjective viewpoints to dictate tier placement.
Usually other factors such as frame data, hitboxes, hurtboxes, weight, and even damage and knock back can come into play. Like, an example of a bad character is Kirby in Melee, because he is one of the most laggiest characters, most of his attacks are not strong as others (His specials and throws are definitely lacking), and is extremely light and will be killed very early. But then you have Fox, the best Melee character who has incredible frame data with incredible moves that can pressure onto people, gimp players, and contains a decent recovery. He also has one of the most powerful up smashes in the game (I believe second and I hear Pikachu is even stronger) and his aerials can kill. He is able to setup kills much easier with these kits being accessed to him than any Kirby could. It's stuff like this that can expand on why a character is better or worse than they actually are and in this case, also shows why Foxes show up way more often than Kirbys while also having much better results.

So tournament results are a factor itself, but other factors like I mentioned can also help explain why that is and possibly discover new things given the information. And I'm sure there are other things to consider as well but I don't personally research this kind of stuff like others do and I'm sure they know way more than I do.

1FC0

Smash Lord
inb4 "everyone was simply trash compared to Sol, which is the only reason he won with Mac".

People have already concluded that Mac is the worst character. Nothing will change their mind, not even Sol winning a major tournament, because then the goalposts will shift to "only Sol plays Mac well, so Mac is still a horrible character because only one person plays him well".
The goalpost remains the same: Little Mac needs to have good tournament results. And winning very few tournaments compared to most other characters even if more than zero does not constitute good tournament results. Good tournament results mean placing well in many tournaments compared to other characters.
This argument fails spectacularly because anything Sol does with Mac, anyone can do with Mac, unless people think that Sol somehow changes how Little Mac works in the game's code whenever he picks him.
If that is true then why does no one else do it?

I think that you are misunderstanding what it means to be a bad character. Some character being a bad character does not mean that that character can never win. It means that that character is less likely to win. So pointing to a single victory of a certain character and then saying that that proves that character is not bad is incorrect because viability is not decided by single victories since single victories do not indicate how likely that character is to win. Instead you should be pointing to the whole picture. You should show that Little Mac is more likely to win then most other characters by pointing out that he has good placements in many tournaments compared to most other characters. That is the goalpost and has been and will be for a long time.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Mac is where he is for a reason. Nobody is saying you can't win ___ with ___ character, that's simply not what tier lists are about in the first place.

ANY character, in theory, could win ANY major, super major or whatever. That said, Mac belongs in low tier for very good reasons. His aerials are all trash and less than viable, which not only hurts his combat ability, but it also makes it SUPER free to jump out and gimp him during his recovery. His Up B is not a fabulous recovery move, no, but it's NOT the reason Mac dies so early imo. Mac can actually make it back to the stage decently, but he has NO aerial defense to make sure you don't come out to stop him, so he tends to die VERY early.

His neutral B is garbage. It makes no sense as a move, I REALLY wish they could've made Mac earn stars through fighting / taking damage, and then he could unleash star punches with Neutral B OR a KO punch if he built to 3 stars. Mac is also VERY linear, so in high level play anybody worth their salt is going to know all of Mac's options like the back of their hand. Mac is great on the ground, TO A POINT, he can be exploited to hell and back even there (on the ground) if the player against him knows Mac's weaknesses well.. which they should and likely will.

Mac is placed where he is, because compared to MANY (almost all of them) other characters in the roster, there's no reason to pick him outside of simply liking him. Mac is NEVER the answer as a counter pick and he doesn't have a single amazing matchup to make him worth keeping in your pocket EVER. He's NEVER the optimal counter pick, he's NEVER the ideal for anything. He has some of the WORST matchups of the entire roster. He dies so laughably early. He has NOTHING to save or help him in the air. He has one of the worst Neutral B moves in the game..

So yeah, Mac is fine where he is. I think a lot of people sleep on Mac out of principle, and a good Mac player who plays similar to a real boxer (going for counter attacks, keeping your mobility up to always be ready, paying attention, etc) can get some mileage out of him.. but ANY skill put toward Mac would reap you infinitely more rewards if put into another character.

Thus low Low-Tier. If I were to lose my mind and switch from my main (Cloud) to Bowser Jr. and then go take a tournament, that doesn't all of a sudden mean everyone was wrong about BJ. It means any number of things, like the competition may not have been amazing or at least familiar with the matchup, I could've gotten lucky and played people right as they started having a bad day, I could be very skilled and have my skill alone carry me over the character.. I could go on. There's SO many things this could mean, so assuming a character was wrongly placed in the tiers based on ONE tournament result is a bit.. well, it's lunacy.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Mac is completely deserving of his tier, and yes I read the posts, this dude was just better than the others.

He has half a moveset. He lacks things every other fighter does. He relies on hard reads and nothing else since he has so little tools to play with.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Mac is completely deserving of his tier, and yes I read the posts, this dude was just better than the others.

He has half a moveset. He lacks things every other fighter does. He relies on hard reads and nothing else since he has so little tools to play with.
Exactly, Mac is an unfinished character. He barely has a semblance of an air game. I’m happy for this dude that he won with him but this is an outlier

I’m not expert on Mac but think of it this way. Does his meta have room to grow and develop? Are there things we don’t know about him yet? And even if there are could it make up for a lack of an air game and a painfully awful recovery? I don’t think so. This isn’t saying Mac doesn’t have his strengths because he does his weaknesses however are the worst in the game. Smash Ultimate is the wrong game to have no air game. Look at characters considered top and high tier right now. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any that don’t have an at least above average air game

Tournament results matter a lot in tier placement. One good tournament result doesn’t mean **** however without any other results

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
No one complains about Jigglypuff being half a character with her nonexistent ground game.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
No one complains about Jigglypuff being half a character with her nonexistent ground game.
First of all Jigg’s ground game is better than Mac’s air game. Second of all aerials, edge guarding, and other air game aspects are much more important in this meta than a ground game. Aerials are king in Ultimate with a 3 frame jump squat and extremely low landing lag for almost the whole cast, a good majority can even autocancel their aerials and basically play lagless in the air. Why do you think people look for aerial kill confirms or aerials leading up to kill confirms in favor or raw grounded smashes and tilts?

Also Jigg’s is bad. Not Mac bad but at best low mid tier and that’s optimistic

Last edited:

CasualGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
CasualGamer89
This is why tiers are garbage. Any character can do well. It's all about your skill as a player, not a character's abilities.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I never pay attention to tiers. Animal Crossing has tier levels for all the villagers. I don't pay attention to that either. I like a villager regardless of what tier level they are placed at and the same goes for Smash tiers.

I enjoyed playing as Doctor Mario on Smash4 regardless of what his tier placement. I had a ton of people piss and moan to me about 'why not just be Mario, you're annoying' and to that I say why do you care what I do?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I mean I’m not saying anybody shouldnt play a character they like based on a tier list but they exist and they serve some purpose in helping people look at the meta (if it’s a good tier list). Match up charts are much more important

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
lol My bad, wrong thread. This is why I shouldn't have more then one topic open at the same time. I was reading someone's post about wanting to main only high tiers instead of who they liked. I ended up getting both threads mixed up.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
The thing about Mac is I think that he is outclassed in every way.
If you want a glass cannon with a high damage output, but a bad recovery, pick Chrom.
If you want to get crazy punishes for hard reads, pick Ganon.
If you want to pick a characters that you can surprise people with because they don't know the matchup, pick Luigi or Icees.
While Mac CAN win tourneys, I think that this can be done with practically any character if the player skill is high enough.
Hence Mac is low tier, since he doesn't really offer anything unique that another character can't already do, but better.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The thing about Mac is I think that he is outclassed in every way.
If you want a glass cannon with a high damage output, but a bad recovery, pick Chrom.
If you want to get crazy punishes for hard reads, pick Ganon.
If you want to pick a characters that you can surprise people with because they don't know the matchup, pick Luigi or Icees.
While Mac CAN win tourneys, I think that this can be done with practically any character if the player skill is high enough.
Hence Mac is low tier, since he doesn't really offer anything unique that another character can't already do, but better.
That is not how it works. Being an inferior version of a good character can still rightly earn a character a high place on the tier list. The tier list is about how good a character is. Outclassed characters can still be good. Just imagine SSBB MK but then with slightly weaker Smashes. He would be obviously outclassed by MK yet still rightly be at the top of the tier list a little below MK.

Besides for every character that you mentioned Little Mac has attributes that those characters lack. So he is not an inferior version of any of them (even though he is worse than most of them). I cannot play as a chimera of Chrom/Luigi/Ganondorf/Ice Climbers. Why do you think that no one plays Little Mac for more than a few of his properties? E.g. by suggesting Ganondorf as replacement for having hard punishes you already made the assumption that people who like punishing hard do not care about speed.

Even though Little Mac is bad, no character outclasses Little Mac in what Little Mac does and even if a character did then as far as that goes Little Mac could still be good. None of your reasoning as to why he is low tier is correct.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Mac is simply a poorly designed character from a 1v1 point of view. Characters shouldn't just die from one exchange near the ledge, when the same character also gets camped out and juggled without much effort from their opponent. He wasn't designed for 1v1, he was designed to clean up FFAs, while being a little squishy so he doesn't dominate every game.

Unless you're playing against someone of Sol's caliber, most losses against Mac are going to be a result of you beating yourself, and your inability to respect the character's grounded abilities.

He needs an overhaul from the ground up to move up higher than low tier in a 1v1 meta. Get rid of some or all of the armor. Slightly raise the percent in which KO Punch kills, but make it harder to knock it out of him. Make his aerials not completely useless, and make his side B work again after being hit offstage. Make his up B go a little further. I don't know what else he'd need, probably a lot more to be a real threat.

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Ok some I'm getting some mixed messages: one side says that it is possible that Little Mac can get great results and that while he's outclassed by other characters with his movesef, he's not the worst of those classes. And that he may be the worse character in the game but he's not trash level like Brawl Ganondorf.

However, I'm heading the other side calling him "incomplete" and that players like Sol who use Little Mac aren't professionals and that the level of skill you out into him should be put into someone else.

I'm heading these things from both sides so which is it? Does Little Mac have a chance to shine in competitive smash or is he doomed to spend eternal suffering at the bottom with Brawl Ganondorf or N64 Luigi?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If you don't think he's viable, then don't play him, and stop caring about whether other people play him. If he's bad, then goodie for you. Easy win.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I went to a local with 64 attendees this weekend and there was a Bowser junior in the grand finals.

If little mac will will win a Genesis, summit or evo then we can talk.

He has no arial game so that means he has about half of the options that any other character has. For me he is a good weapon against amateurs but nothing more.

Lowest tier in my opinion

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Ok some I'm getting some mixed messages: one side says that it is possible that Little Mac can get great results and that while he's outclassed by other characters with his movesef, he's not the worst of those classes. And that he may be the worse character in the game but he's not trash level like Brawl Ganondorf.

However, I'm heading the other side calling him "incomplete" and that players like Sol who use Little Mac aren't professionals and that the level of skill you out into him should be put into someone else.

I'm heading these things from both sides so which is it? Does Little Mac have a chance to shine in competitive smash or is he doomed to spend eternal suffering at the bottom with Brawl Ganondorf or N64 Luigi?
In a 3 month old game, no one is absolutely sure, or even correct here. We all have our own opinions. It's also objectively more difficult to see which characters are bad over which ones are good, as "bad" characters generally remain underdeveloped. It usually takes a character specialist to bring the best out of them. Sol is probably the best one right now, so keep an eye out.

Also who said Sol wasn't a professional? lol it's well known at high level play, it just takes more work and more skill to do well with a bad character. If someone has equal skill using a good character, the person using the good character will just have a slight edge over the low tier user. That is, if you also ignore things like matchup inexperience. And there's a LOT of that to take into account for this game.

No one in Ultimate is anywhere near as bad as the bottom tiers of Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4. The thing with Mac is, his weaknesses were brought to light very early on, moreso than most other characters. Partially because he had weaknesses carry over from the previous entry, so the general strategy of beating him hasn't changed. No one skilled in the matchup in S4 needed to adapt much, it's still a general "get him offstage, hit him once, and he dies". Adding onto that, he lost his dtilt combos, and the recovery "buff" actually turned out to be more of a nerf. So a character that was already generally seen as low-mid/low tier got nerfed even harder. The edgeguarding buff has hurt him more than anything, because now he can't time an airdodge to miss your edgeguard attempt. And we have a very high number of characters who can edgeguard effectively. He has to eat the attack, or airdodge to his death. Either way, that's a dead Mac, 100% of the time.

The character is not unusable, though. And I don't think anyone is suggesting that. I've certainly lost to my fair share of Little Mac players online, and so have many others here. Brawl Ganondorf was probably the closest thing to unusable that we've ever experienced. Matchup inexperience didn't work in his favor because even if you've never fought a Ganondorf, all the opponent had to do was camp him out and it was a free win. His only approach option against projectile users was basically "walk slowly through their projectiles and powershield as many as you can". Mac has a fast groundspeed, can still kill super early, can break shields with his smashes, and armor through most hits. Adding onto that, a OHKO move that kills at like 10%. He may still be better off than every worst character of previous games combined.

But to be effective in a 1v1 meta, he still doesn't make the cut to be a mid or high tier character. He simply wasn't designed or balanced to be effective that way. He's an FFA character. You can hop into most 4+ player FFAs with Mac and clean up just by running around and wailing on the C stick, as long as the stage isn't huge. 1v1 is an entirely different game. And to be effective, he needs to be overhauled. See my previous post for what my thoughts are on that.

I think the biggest issue, is that he's a character that walks the razor's edge of balance and imbalance. As it is with most glass cannon archetypes. If, say, his aerial game and recovery were to be significantly buffed, while leaving his ground game as is, he could tip over to being a problematic character. To become a "normal" character, he'd need his ground game toned down when his recovery/aerials get buffed. (See my other post in this thread in regard to that, mostly involves reducing his armor) Without an overhaul, a balanced Mac is a bad Mac.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I think a good way to sum up Mac would be he's just too basic / simple a character to go far in the tiers. He has laughably few options, EVER, of which include: Dash Attack, Dash Attack, Dash Attack, Tilts, Dash Attack, FSmash & USmash (mostly FSmash), some more tilts.. oh look ANOTHER DASH ATTACK, wait was that a side B?

^ That's Mac, even high level Mac. Even outside of problems I mentioned before like having garbage aerials that don't work even as defensive moves to save yourself in the air and his bottom tier recovery.. he's just so easily boiled down to a handful of mediocre options and it's VERY easy to figure out how to play around Mac and get very easy wins.

There's no way to play Mac well that doesn't boil down to simple reactionary punishes that are allowed to be pulled off by his fast dash, or challenging moves with the massive amount of armor on most of his.. and THAT'S it.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm sure there's a way to give him more complexity without aerials. I think the super armor was something of an attempt at that, but clearly he needs something more. Would it be worth the effort of working such a system out and putting it through extensive testing vs. giving up on the gimmick and giving him aerials? Well, that's the question for the devs.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
Copy that. Little Mac will now be bumped up to second to last, above Bowser Jr.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Mac is an F Tier character, I'd put BJ in low D because at least he can still SOMEWHAT hold his ground in the air in a few MU's and can win if played very.. very well. Mac is just like taking the L at the start of a game.

viras

Smash Rookie
Mac is definitely trash tier, no combo or air game, pretty lackluster recovery. I don't think one tourney results in him being decent. By far the worst.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Pros: Fast with powerful grounded attacks that have armor.

Cons: Literally everything else about him.

I think that's enough said on the matter. I've seen people defend Mac to hell and back all sorts of ways, citing the few galaxy brain Mac plays where he does something like using counter or KO punch to help him recover.. but it's all sort of been said and hashed out a thousand times. Mac is bad, one of the worst, in the eyes of some THE worst.

Last edited:
Top Bottom