• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If tourneys approved hacks?

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Well, I stil hold to what I say, making these brawl hacks tourny standard would be a HORRIBLE thing to do, and It really disapoints me that people are trying to do it, if you guys wanna hold "alt" tournies with hacked wiis, fine, but tying to make these hacks tourny standard for brawl is just sad.
We're not and you're stupid.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
This thread was not intended to be a general discussion about Brawl hacks or "Melee 2.0". This is meant to only pertain to tournament use of hacks and new tournament standards.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
It's IF they allowed them.
Not, "Do you want them allowed?"
Plus, nobody's trying to change the "tournament standard".

MBlaze

Smash Champion
It's IF they allowed them.
Not, "Do you want them allowed?"
Plus, nobody's trying to change the "tournament standard".
I think they're afraid everyone would leave Brawl tourneys for Brawl + (2.0) tourneys (Great name btw :) ) Officials really should look into this for big alt tourneys.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
Note: I don't know how Brawl+ is being used by most people, when I use Brawl+, I'm talking about directional airdoging, s-cancelling, and no tripping.

Brawl+ becoming the official way of playing?

No, I don't think that a version of Brawl that requires a decent amount of computer skills should be considered the standard. To most people the hack might seem childs play compared to some of the larger console hacks out there, but I've seen lots of gamers that can't do much more on a computer than surf the web (and even then they mess things up).

Should Brawl+ have tourneys?

Yes, I personally enjoy playing Brawl+(WD,S-cancelling,no tripping). The no tripping part explains itself. S-cancelling is one of the major reasons I keep playing Brawl+. Getting rid of the aerial lag greatly increases the offensive capabilities of the characters, which makes the whole game move faster. I don't think we would need to improve the hitstun in the game, because with the faster followup resulting from s-cancelling and the lack of multiple dodges from the directional dodge mod, it is a lot harder to avoid attacks in the air.

This next part is what makes me think that most people haven't tried the mods before rating for or against them. Wavedashing is nothing like it was in melee. It is very finicky about where you start your dodge to do your wavedasy. If your a little to early you just hit the ground and do a side dodge. If your a little to late you won't retain your momentum and will just stick onto the ground. The reason I like to play with the directional airdodge is for the reduced aerial defensive strength, rather than the ability to wavedash.

Does Brawl+ need SBR/SWF approval to have tourneys? (Sorry if I'm not as professional on this part.)

No, the only thing that Brawl+ needs to become worthwhile to competators is a playerbase. If there are people that want to participate in Brawl+ tourneys, and there are people willing to host a Brawl+ tourney, there are going to be Brawl+ tourneys. Sure, there aren't going to be any MLG sponsored events for Brawl+, but I can still see enough of a playerbase that a person who solely trains on Brawl+ won't be dissapointed by a lack of tournaments. I'm pretty sure well even get some big tourneys if the mods flesh out a bit more.

So, I guess my answer to the topic title "If tourneys approved hack?" is, if tourneys approved hacks, then people that enjoy these mods will attend these tournaments.

and the corollary...

If a tourney doesn't allow hacks, people that enjoy Streight Brawl will attend these tournaments.

Different tastes for different people.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
No, because Brawl is not melee, melee is not brawl. If you REALLY want brawl to be melee 2.0, then go make it yourself. Though I'm sure wavedashing and L cancleing in brawl is fun, its just not for tournaments.
^This = My Opinion.

Anyway, as Narukari said, I can vaguely envision Brawl+ having a few tournies, but I can't see it getting very popular. I support not having Brawl+ getting into the competitive world at all, but knowing how many Smashers there are with nostalgia for Melee, but a thirst for Brawl, it's probably going to get some tournament activity. But, it's probably not going to go mainstream. It's sort of like tournies for Banned stages. Not extremely popular, but some people do appreciate it.

*shrug*

To tell the truth, after trying out the hacks and then playing Melee, I thought to myself: "Why not just play Melee? There's Melee, and there's Brawl, so stop trying to make Brawl into something that it's not, and pop in a freakin' Melee disc for God's sake."

I took off the hacks, and played Melee afterward.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
If the demand and enough tourneys get hosted and attended this could become a big thing, we should post this topic somewhere where tourney hosters go a lot.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
^This = My Opinion.
While this is not the point of this thread, nor ANY of the other Brawl+ related threads, I must reiterate my point that WE ARE NOT TRYING TO MAKE MELEE 2.0 - We are making "Brawl 2.0". If we wanted Melee 2.0, we'd hack Melee, not Brawl.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
While this is not the point of this thread, nor ANY of the other Brawl+ related threads, I must reiterate my point that WE ARE NOT TRYING TO MAKE MELEE 2.0 - We are making "Brawl 2.0". If we wanted Melee 2.0, we'd hack Melee, not Brawl.
The Melee 2.0 term is use by scrubs that are afraid of competitive Smash. We're trying to make Brawl 2.0 or Brawl+.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
The Melee 2.0 term is use by scrubs that are afraid of competitive Smash. We're trying to make Brawl 2.0 or Brawl+.
If we get a subforum, I'm going to make a thread explaining the purpose of Brawl+ and the difference it is between "Melee 2.0". This will be a sticky with a big giant "READ BEFORE POSTING" slapped right on it.

zxeon

Smash Lord
^This = My Opinion.

Anyway, as Narukari said, I can vaguely envision Brawl+ having a few tournies, but I can't see it getting very popular. I support not having Brawl+ getting into the competitive world at all, but knowing how many Smashers there are with nostalgia for Melee, but a thirst for Brawl, it's probably going to get some tournament activity. But, it's probably not going to go mainstream. It's sort of like tournies for Banned stages. Not extremely popular, but some people do appreciate it.

*shrug*

To tell the truth, after trying out the hacks and then playing Melee, I thought to myself: "Why not just play Melee? There's Melee, and there's Brawl, so stop trying to make Brawl into something that it's not, and pop in a freakin' Melee disc for God's sake."

I took off the hacks, and played Melee afterward.
It's cute that you feel so threatened because it kind of shows we are doing a good job, and the sad part (for you at least) is that Brawl + is already popular and we have already started to attract people who had already given up on Brawl.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I haven't tried out the codes yet (No SD card), but if Brawl+ became a viable alternate tourney then I'd be ecstatic. I'd join the tourney just so I could try it out.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I Have a passion for smash and I don't like what has happened to the smash community.
I know, I didn't expect so many scrubs especially at SWF...

Hopefully we can get a sub-forum real soon, and thanks to the other guy for using this thread as an example. :) Let's see how fast we can get our subforum so we can get down to business, what do you say administration? :)

smash superstar

Smash Ace
Well I think if we give it a few more months, and maybe one single code can be used for a "competitive melee/brawl fusion" and everyone that attend the tournament would know that the basic codes they need are the only ones then I am all for it

of course the bugs need worked out first....

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Well I think if we give it a few more months, and maybe one single code can be used for a "competitive melee/brawl fusion" and everyone that attend the tournament would know that the basic codes they need are the only ones then I am all for it

of course the bugs need worked out first....
I think it could be possible to put everything into 1 code as soon as we confirm everything that we need in.

Revven

FrankerZ
I think it could be possible to put everything into 1 code as soon as we confirm everything that we need in.
You can't do that I believe.

Basically, you couldn't do that because you have to hack one code at a time, it's based off of what you searched for in WiiRD and what you set a bp on and wrote to what and etc. Combining codes won't work simply because of the fact that the game needs to be able to read each one on its own, each code has its own separate memory range (well, is STORED in a memory range, some codes CAN be in the same range but, not have the same lines or commands). For example, stocks could be stored in MEM1 while percentage could be stored in MEM2, you couldn't combine the two (much less, hack them in one code) because they're stored in different areas and control completely different aspects of the game.

tl;dr: You can't do it because they aren't possibly stored within the same memory range or don't have the same commands written in them.

I'm PROBABLY wrong on the reason but, you can't do it, I know that much.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
You can't do that I believe.

Basically, you couldn't do that because you have to hack one code at a time, it's based off of what you searched for in WiiRD and what you set a bp on and wrote to what and etc. Combining codes won't work simply because of the fact that the game needs to be able to read each one on its own, each code has its own separate memory range (well, is STORED in a memory range, some codes CAN be in the same range but, not have the same lines or commands). For example, stocks could be stored in MEM1 while percentage could be stored in MEM2, you couldn't combine the two (much less, hack them in one code) because they're stored in different areas and control completely different aspects of the game.

tl;dr: You can't do it because they aren't possibly stored within the same memory range or don't have the same commands written in them.

I'm PROBABLY wrong on the reason but, you can't do it, I know that much.
Oh well. :p We still gotta find what we need and make only those hacks legal.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Just had to say this somewhere if it's been said already **** it.

There's been so much talk about weither we should approve of hacks. But that shouldn't really be the issue.
The important thing is what the majority wants. If there is a majority for normal brawl tournaments then the TO's will organize that. If these codes turn brawl into a different game that the majority wants to play then TO's will run that if it's doable.

That really is it. We shouldn't be acting like scrubs saying you have to play this way. The community has always decided by them selves and when there was a majority for something we made that happen. Discussion is fine but forcing someone to play in a certain way is just selfish.

So it's simple.
-The players that want the hack to become a tournament standard need to start running tournaments for it, get the word across and advertise the game to other players. Show the wealth of new options it brings to the game. Show the positive side, the improvements. If other players digg it they will play it. But because these players choose to change the normal game there gonna have balance issues that they need to keep in mind. It's gonna be harder to prevent broken techs for brawl+ and that means they need to keep adjusting and keep on playtesting.
I already heard a few pro europian melee players like Amsah(nihonjin) say that they might start playing brawl with these hacks. There's definetly interest.

- The players that don't like to see brawl change should keep on holding normal brawl tourneys and just keep playing that. They can't fix much about the game anyway so just keep playing, analysing so on. No one is touching the normal game and no one is preventing you from playing the original one or hosting tournaments with it.

Time will tell weither our community can handle hosting events for 3(4 with 64 version) different games.

But it's really interesting to see this happen. Same with all the new flash games being made. It seems like our community is more in control of the game we play then ever before. And maybe in the future we actually don't have to rely on a commercial company with a different target audience anymore. Wouldn't that be awesome when the smash community can actually create smash it self ^^.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well, I stil hold to what I say, making these brawl hacks tourny standard would be a HORRIBLE thing to do, and It really disapoints me that people are trying to do it, if you guys wanna hold "alt" tournies with hacked wiis, fine, but tying to make these hacks tourny standard for brawl is just sad.
the hacks are pretty cool but not standard for tournys
I guess but srsly, who cares when you can make money off of Brawl+ side tourneys :)

Revven

FrankerZ
It's a hack that lets you overlap stage objects together and also negates space limitations so essentially it gives you a more flexible stage design.
Well, it's not all one code, there's two codes one for overlapping and one for unlimited space (though you have to be careful with it, too many windmills in a stage can cause My Music corruption. However, this can be fixed with the My Music Reset codes).

Top Bottom