• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this is the last Smash game ever made, would you be satisfied?

FutureSmashPro

Smash Rookie
Assuming DLC at some point down the line isn't out of the question.

I personally would. For me, this is the definitive Smash game and it's everything I could ever want. I don't see how they can make it any better honestly.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
It won't be as long as more consoles are made. The Smash Bros. franchise is too popular to discontinue even though Melee, project m, Brawl, and Wii U brawl are plenty. Yes, I would be satisfied. SSB4 has all I want in a smash game and an abundance of characters.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Engine wise, I'd say yes. But the roster is still really subpar, and I am not even talking about characters I would have liked, the cuts are ridiculous. And the fact that Mewtwo wasn't even considered until the game was out...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sure, I would. All the characters I wanted were in it, not to mention that it's a pretty f'in' good game, so I'd be pretty satisfied overall if this were to be considered the ultimate Smash.
But let's be honest with ourselves, 4 isn't gonna be the last game. I mean, Smash Bros. is arguably Nintendo's biggest cash cow franchise, and even if Sakurai steps down as director, someone else will inevitably carry on the series.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The fact that 2 of my most wanted newcomers are in the game is satisfying enough for me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No newcomer from the DKC series ever since Diddy's extremely late arrival in Brawl? THAT WILL NOT DO SIR!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To be very honest, no. I do want them to keep making Smash once per console. Even moreso considering that I care about the roster more than anything else.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm happy. With actual balance achieved for once, a competent stage builder that's available to play with friends online, and most importantly, Mewtwo coming back, it would be a fitting finale if it were to come to that.

And with Sakurai getting old and swearing off the series, this might actually be the end of the road this time.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Apparently I'm in the minority, but no. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and feel it's one of the best in the series, but there's still room for improvement. The balance is probably the best we've ever had, which is really impressive to me, especially considering the size of the roster. Despite the cuts I still feel this is the best roster in the series as well (even if you're a fan of Wolf/Lucas/IC, you have to admit the fact that you can play as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man in one game makes for about as much of an all-star cast as you could hope for) I really like the engine too, although maybe not quite as much as Melee. IMO though, a lot of the game modes really leave a lot to be desired.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes. Everything has to come to an end and Smash is no exception.

Sure, that would mean some characters I always wanted to be playable would never get their chances, but it is no big deal.

For those who care a lot about the roster, it would be nice to have in mind that in future games they will keep cutting characters (for obvious reasons, time and budget for development aren't infinite), so to get a few new ones, we will always lose a couple others.

Last edited:

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
I would be very satisfied by the amount of characters (not the complete cast, but that's never possible) and modes. Although I don't necessarily need an adventure mode (like subspace emissary), it would be sad if the last ssb didn't have one

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
Not anymore since sakurai said he aint patching it no more.
What you think you can just not make aother smash, not patch it and just leave?? R u EA

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Tbh, I would be satisfied if Smash 4 was the last game in the series. The way the game is right now, I'd love to see it as a good way to end the Smash series without any continuations (unless Nintendo ruins it). No game franchise can last forever.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
bring me some Donkey kong love ( k.rool , dixie ..eventually cranky funky) and it will be ok :)

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I would be satisfied, especially if we get some DLC after Mewtwo.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well I still can't play as Ridley, Isaac or Ganodorf and my fav SF character Wolf was cut so no not satisfied. And the music isn't as great as Brawl's was.

And no Fountain of Dreams is a crime.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
VERY. I don't know if I want another one. Sure, it can't hurt, but I am fearful of cuts and sub-par gameplay, since Sakurai is not going to make it. Smash 3DS/Wii U is a masterpiece in my eyes.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think I might be. This game is close to perfect, and with some DLC patches could be a game almost without flaws. Though, if they were going to make this the last and final Smash Brothers game, here is a list of things I would want changed/added eventually:

Characters:
- Redesign Ganondorf so as not to be a Capt. Falcon clone. Give him *some* moves that make more obvious use of his magical abilities
- Design new Final Smashes for Falco, Toon Link (I really wish they could make Fierce Deity Link his FS, but that technically wasn't *toon* Link), and maybe give Peach and DK better FS's
- Bring back Ice Climbers. Find a way.
- Possibly add King K. Rool
- Add other characters as necessary as a result of future Nintendo games

Stages:
- Eventually give us HD versions of many other 3DS/past stages, including but not limited to:
- Magicant
- Mute City
- Pac Maze
- Golden Plains
- Pictochat 2
- Gerudo Valley
- Rainbow Road
- 3D Land
- Paper Mario
- Living Room
- Reset Bomb Forest
- Tomadochi Life
- Balloon Fight
- Find Mii
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
- Classic Mario Bros (Brawl)
- Pirate Ship
- Frigate Orpheon
- WarioWare
- Distant Planet
- New Pork City
- Subcon
- Fountain of Dreams
- Summit
- Corneria
- Green Greens
- Also, combine Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 into a single stage like they did with Flatzone

Other:
- More pokéball Pokémon
- More assist trophies (including something, anything from DK, and for the love of God bring back Mr. Resetti)
- Rearrange the CSS to put the clones with the other characters from their series. It just bothers me that Doc, Lucina and Dark Pit are grouped together
- More music. I don't have many specific tracks in mind, just MORE
- More trophies
- Add some more items to the stage builder, and improve its interface a bit

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
This game is a masterpiece and I don't think I'm expecting another one in the next 5-10 years, maybe some DLC though.

As great a game as it is, I'm always going to get bitten by the Smash bug every few years and want another one. I just wonder what they can do to actually improve from here rather than just step sideways.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
This. I feel like Smash games are a recap of the last generation and I think that it's too important of a series to outright discontinue.
I feel exactly like this, and Smash is by far the biggest reason why I'm a huge Nintendo fan. When I play a Nintendo game, I usually wonder how content from this game could be added in Smash: a stage, an Assist Trophy, or even possibly a playable newcomer? I'd hate to play new Nintendo games if their content is not going to be ever aded in Smash.

I'm fine with the next Smash not being released before like seven years, especially if Smash 4 gets some additional characters with DLCs for one year or two after the game's release. The only way for me to be okay with no Smash games anymore is if the current Smash 4 is fully DLC supported forever (until Nintendo stops making games of course). I see Smash as Nintendo's unifying force, with its unique gameplay and interpretation of Nintendo's universes and characters that gives it a unique identity, and not some generic crossover. (Okay I admit I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I wanted to say how I'm emotionally attached to Smash.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This. I feel like Smash games are a recap of the last generation and I think that it's too important of a series to outright discontinue.
I can agree with that, as it's entirely true.

However, considering the OP is more asking "would this be a satisfying end to the series?", I'd have to say yes, it would.

They got pretty much every character I thought was absolutely necessary and then some, and with the exception of not trying another Adventure/Story Mode, I think they have added a more than satisfying amount of content to the game coming from Brawl. It also has an endless shelf life for me.

Also, if this truly was the last Smash, the fact that they made "your figurines/trophies of your favourite characters come to life to fight for you" a reality through Amiibo, is heartwarmingly appropriate.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
As great a game as it is, I'm always going to get bitten by the Smash bug every few years and want another one. I just wonder what they can do to actually improve from here rather than just step sideways.
I kinda feel the same way. The game is in full HD, so graphically I feel like it will hold up for a long time - the game looks gorgeous. The cast is just about perfect, and enormous. They honestly can't add too many more characters at this point as there aren't too many left who would be deserving. However, I would support them adding new characters in the form of assist trophies/pokémon/regular trophies. Nintendo has a huge, rich history, and I wouldn't mind seeing trophies of characters like Sahasrala, Agahnim, Crocomire, the Golden Chozo, Kraid, Reznor, Chargin' Chuck, Klap Trap, Klubba, Zinger, Phantron, Monarch Dodora, etc*, in addition to what's already there.

* I don't know if some of these characters already have trophies that I just haven't come across yet, but I'm fairly certain many of them are not represented.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Well given that this is probably the last Smash game for another 5 or so years minimum, if this was the last one I would probably be okay with it even though I doubt it is.

For 14 years of games they've all delivered on the simple premise of being fun to play with friends, with some lasting longer than others. I think this game is very good and way better than the game that came before it, and I would be happy if this had to be the last Smash game. Look at the roster. Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mario in the same game? This isn't just Smash or a Nintendo museum, this is a video game museum.

Basically yeah I'd be ok if we had to end on this note.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I really don't think it can be overstated how awesome it is that they included Mega Man in this game, and that they did it so well. The Koopalings being on the roster also made me ridiculously happy, even if the announcer does mispronounce "Ludwig".

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think this game is great but some parts of it are sloppy and lazy,
-not as many new stages
-carbon copy clones and semi clones still exist(lucina, dark pit, falcondorf ,etc...)
-online can still be laggy from time to time.
-smash tour is a terribly boring cluster F*&#
-Unlocking the characters took no effort
-can't turn off hazards unless I want to play omega which I don't want to do all the time.

If these things were fixed, The game would be perfect. I wouldn't be happy , in a few more years I'd want a new smash :]

Last edited:

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I think I would be satisfied...but I bet if a new Smash game were to come out for the next handheld/console, I'll be tempted to get that as well....

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Oh yes, I will add that Dr. Mario coming back for the first HD Smash game was also something I was incredibly happy to see. The actual Dr. Mario video games were a good chunk of my childhood (pretty sure in total I spent 70+ hours on them), and having him back is always delightful, costume or otherwise.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
There will always be stages, modes, and specific characters (*cough* Isaac and Ray MK III *cough*) that I want in, but overall I would be satisfied with Smash 4 being the last. I doubt it will be, but I would hate for the series to become something different after Sakurai leaves.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Would I be satisfied? Nope.

- Glaring roster omissions despite getting some (3/10) of the ones I wanted (Lucina, Shulk and Mega Man. With Mewtwo (doesn't count because DLC), K Rool (should be playable at this point), Isaac, Ridley (should be playable at this point), Fawful, Black Shadow (Give him Craptain Falcondorf's moveset with some changes) and Porky) at the expense of Snake, Lucas and the Ice Climbers. Which brings me to my next point.

- The 3DS causes most of my issues with this title. It severely limited what could be done and was responsible for the Ice Climbers being cut. On the flipside Shiek and ZSS are their own characters now.

- Stages. Out of the lot added (which was less than were added in Brawl unless you add together each version and don't count Wily Castle or Gaur Plains twice) I only play on a small fraction of them outside of FD because there's too much gimmicky crap going on like the "Stage bosses" and shenanigans like "100 coins equals increased power for a while." An option to deactivate the hazards would have been nice instead of making them be a reskinned version of FD with a few differences (the underside).

- The stage bosses. Yup. they're deserving of their own segment due to how poorly implemented they are. Lets list them off and their issues.
- Yellow Devil - far too intrusive on such a small stage. Ruins flow completely
- Flying Man - The less said about him the better.
- Dark Emperor - Completely useless and nought but a piñata to attack if you want.
- Ridley - Doesn't even deserve to be called Ridley in the first place. Terrible model, unfaithful to the character (remind me when Ridley became Samus' ***** after getting shot 4 times? Oh yeah, you can't and that's not Meta Ridley), playable mechanics, increased size, other hazards to deal with etc.
- Metal face - Only two attacks? Pathetic Sakurai. And he doesn't attack despite some characters being in range. I remember Metal Face being ruthless. Smash doesn't show that. At least he's got his voice, the only redeeming factor.

- Challenges. Either they're too easy or they require you to be a god to do them. Same goes for Event mode. Find a good balance like with Melee and Brawl.

- Ganondorf is still Craptain Falcondorf. I'll take the clones like Lucina and Pittoo on the grounds that they get Lugified in the next game but at this point Ganondorf shouldn't be like Captain Falcon. 3 games in and he still sucks?

- Smash Run and Smash Tour are both rubbish modes with bs random elements. To make matters worse they're required for 100%. They could have been fun but nope.

- The music. There's some fantastic additions to the music such as most of the Xenoblade music (Gaur Plains Night isn't really fitting for a huge 8 player fight to be honest. The other issue is with one they ruined twice) and Jergingha. However some tracks have been noticeably (and terribly) cut. ID Purpose and engage the Enemy fell victim to this. Engage the Enemy also got ruined in the Medley which also makes use of obvious and terrible cuts. Gaur plains remix and Mechanical Rhythm? Good. Those who bear their names and Engage the Enemy remix? Covering my ears because terrible cutting and the remix doesn't do the original justice. Also where the hell did Fountain of Dreams go? Why wasn't Unfinished Battle in the game over Gaur Plains Night?

~End transmission~

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Just want to point out that what Sakurai says is usually taken out of context, and it has happend before that words are lost and sometimes wrong in translation from interviews.

Sakurai is also known for trolling, but I'm not denying that he can be rather special in his ways.

Otherwise I think I'm fine with this being the final Smash game, but I would actually like it to be more monitored with patches (and the dream would be even more stuff through DLC's, maybe even more game modes, like For Glory Custom Moves.)

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Granted, everyone has their own personal tastes, but I don't think you can justifiably call Fawful, Black Shadow and Porky "glaring" roster omissions. I had to Google to find out who Fawful even was.

Last edited:

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23
I wouldn't. Nintendo isn't dead yet, and there'll be more games added to each series that's represented, more series that need to get represented, etc.

Now, I'm definitely satisfied with the current game as it is. However, I think it would be a shame if this were the last one.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm pretty satisfied as of right now, but knowing me (and my unending greed) I won't be in say, 6 years.

Top Bottom