• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If items should be given a shot in competitive play,it should be Dragoon NOT FS balls

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Final Smashes are generally unbalanced, especially during 1v1. For examples of FS imbalances, see below.

If we let FS balls in, it should be Dragoon, since Dragoon is like a Final Smash but it's EQUALLY balanced for everyone(because it does the same thing for every character), not to mention you have to collect 3 Dragoon parts which itself makes it a little more balanced than Final Smash Balls.

Final Smashes - Unbalanced, some characters benefit a lot more from their Final Smash than others.

Dragoon - Balanced for most characters(because it does the same thing for every character). You also have to collect three parts of Dragoon, which usually drop far enough apart to make it not too "luck" based.

Edit: First of all, I edited a few of the things in my topic. The reason I made this topic in the first place was mainly in response to the Final Smash balls topic. Now I did say "Dragoons are one of the most balanced items" but I should have said "Dragoons are more balanced than FS" because that's basically the reason I made this topic in the first place.

I'd like to mention that I'm not saying we should put Dragoon in competitive play. I am just saying(in response to the FS topic) that if we want something like Final Smash balls in Competitive play, we should pick Dragoon instead because it is more balanced.

Final Smash balls aren't very balanced between characters, examples(NOTE: I am basing the balance mainly on 1v1):

1. Meta Knight's FS can only KO at mainly 50%+(that is before he used his FS). Ike's FS can KO at 0-20% depending on the stage. They both have pretty much the exact same range. In general Ike's FS is a lot more powerful than Meta Knight's.

2. Samus' FS - First of all, it isn't "fair" that her FS makes her transfer to a different character.

While ZSS can use her FS because she can transform from Samus to ZSS using the "Up" "Down" taunt combos. Regular Samus cannot transfomr from ZSS to Samus.

So basically, unless the player knows how to play both Samus and ZSS fairly well, it's unfair for Samus players that they can't really use their FS because it transform them to another character.

Also, ZSS's Final Smash is also very weak, in fact one of the very weak FS in the games.

So either way, Samus and ZSS FS is one of the worst compared to other characters because Samus's FS changes her to a different character, so unless a player knows how to play both very well, it's not a good of a FS. ZSS FS does very weak damage and knockback.

3. Lucario's FS - Very dodge able. Most characters can easily evade his beam attack by jumping over Lucario and moving the opposite direction;.

Not to mention his FS isn't a KO until 30%(30% before he used his FS I mean)+ while other characters can KO at a lower percentage.

4. Olimar's FS - Does not KO until at a higher percent either (30%-40%+). The final hit of his FS can be dodged also by either jumping high into the air or just by perform a dodge roll at the right time.

5. Landmaster, Warioman, Super Dragon, Rocketbarrel Barrage, Giga Bowser, etc - These FS all have one thing in common, it enhances their characters significantly and allows them to move while in their FS.

In general, these FS are very very hard to escape and are very effective and most can KO at 0%.

These are a lot more powerful than most FS because it's difficult to escape these FS and at the same time easy for the person who uses the FS to KO with.

Also Falco's Landmaster is probably the most dangerous in 1v1s. Reason? Well, he can KO people multiple times in one FS, he can KO 2-3 times in a single FS(against most characters that is)

Falco's Landmaster lasts long enough to KO multiple times, he can KO while someone is still in their invincibility (after about 2-3 seconds) after they respawned.

Kill them normally with your FS(aka, by moving them off the screen). When they respawn, wait until you can pick them up, then immediately lift them off up to the screen. Repeat until your FS wears off. You can do this while they're still invincible, which is why Falco's FS is easily one of the most strongest FS in the game.

You can test it out by going into training mode and using Falco's FS to KO up to 3 times. It might take a few tries though.

6. Octopus, Volt Tackle, Super Sonic, Diffusion Beam - Similar to the above FS EXCEPT these FS are generally a lot weaker, are not very easy to control(or easier to dodge), and cannot KO as easily as the above.

These are notable differences in balance between the above FS(Land Master, Super Dragon, Giga Bowser) and these FS.

Now, these are just an examples of the huge differences in power of each character's FS.

Remember that I am not saying we should put Dragoon in competitive play, I am just merely saying that if we put items(like FS, in response to the FS in tournaments topic) in competitive play, Dragoon is better choice than FS IMO because it's a lot more(though not perfectly) balanced than Final Smash Balls.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's even worse than Final Smashes on some aspects. The characters who are the fastest will have the best chance of grabbing it.

Some characters are less capable than others to knock Dragoon Parts out of characters. Others are sturdier and require more beatings to lose them.

Dragoon-parts spawning is entirely random. If one spawns right in front of you, the opponent can do nothing to stop you from grabbing it.

And the most important thing of all:
The second you grab the last Dragoon Part, you go into Dragoon Mode. They don't even have the chance to try and knock it out of you once you have all three parts. And the Dragoon is broken.

It's much worse than Final Smashes because not only is it unblockable, it comes out so fast you have to spotdodge/roll/airdodge before the opponent activates it! Yes, you literally have to be psychic to avoid it! And if you don't predict it right, well, all they have to do is wait 'til your invincibility is up and then kill you!

Dragoons are broken and random. Balanced? Kinda, but they're still random and broken.

Dragoon Nazi: No Dragoon for you!

Grandeza

Smash Master
Your logic for the smashball is dumb. Some up-b recoveries are worse than others. It doesn't matter because it's one of their moves. If smashballs were allowed it would be like an obtainable super special move.

Best101

Smash Ace
Your logic for the smashball is dumb. Some up-b recoveries are worse than others. It doesn't matter because it's one of their moves. If smashballs were allowed it would be like an obtainable super special move.
Up B recoveries aren't instant KOs and they aren't items. Landmasters guarantee a kill or two, while Meta Knight's, Kirby's and others like them aren't even guarantee one kill.

And once you grab a Beam Sword it becomes part of your moveset too :/

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Food is probably the only item that could be given a chance in tournys since it doesn't adversely affect the match.

If this thread isn't closed soon, we're probably going to have a items vs. no items flame war like always.

Astinos

Smash Cadet
inb4 OHKOs are cheap...

But anything that distracts players from the general gameplay shouldn't be allowed. It just provokes more running, camping and general men liking-ness.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I am getting so sick of these arguments and I've only been on this board for a month.

I like items as much as the next guy, but mostly for fun. I personally feel that the freaking Dragoon is the most broken item in the game (smash balls I don't consider broken, it's the balance of different smashes I consider broken). In Melee I used to leave items on all the time. But in Brawl? Even for fun I turn off about five or six of the items that I conisder ludicrously broken (Boom box, Bob-ombs, Dragoon, Hammer, Golden Hammer).

I agree with Yuna that although the Dragoon can be dodged unlike a lot of FSs, he's right that you have to be psychic to dodge the blasted thing. It's not hard against the computer because they fire as soon as the recticle is on you. But a player won't be that dumb and will wait for the opening. You get at least 10 seconds to fire that thing so it's not like they'd be in any rush.

Yuna is also right on the issue of power in knocking the pieces out. I main Ike and second toon link. If an opponent gets the piece one good knockback hit from Ike will often take it out (and Ike has a lot of them). toon link on the other hand either has to use one of his smashes, a bomb or his boomerang to take them out, not much else will do it. Conversely, it takes a lot of clean hits to knock a piece out of Ike wheras Toon Link will lose it almost right away. If Dragoons were allowed in Brawl I would foresee a lot of camping for pieces and a lot of people picking heavy characters just to hold out for it and not risk losing what they've got.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Food is probably the only item that could be given a chance in tournys since it doesn't adversely affect the match.

If this thread isn't closed soon, we're probably going to have a items vs. no items flame war like always.
O RLY?

We both have high %s. Food spawns right in front of you, you get it. Later, I hit you and you fly off. You would've died without the food but you don't. You make it back and kill me.

Or even worse, food spawns in front of you and you eat it. We both hit each other and fly off. But because you got healed, you survived for a split-second longer than without it and I die first, making me lose. Food and healing items are some of the most broken items in the game because they can affect it by a lot.

Just surviving a KO-move once can have huge repercussions on the rest of the game if you by doing it manage to inflict 50% while the opponent manages to inflict 50% damage on you. The difference is that you're about to die anyway, he had little damage and when you finally die, you'll be ahead.

I agree with Yuna that although the Dragoon can be dodged unlike a lot of FSs, he's right that you have to be psychic to dodge the blasted thing.
Did you just call me a "he"?

M.K

Level 55
Like it has been said before, the random "knockout" rate can cause serious HAX in the competitive community.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
@Yuna

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not supporting any items for tournys (I hate spelling this word). I was just stating that if we were to consider items, food would probably have a high chance of being accepted due to its low healing ability (unless in groups) and lack of killing ability. I just can't picture a BS victory from a hamburger in a tournament (I'm assuming items are set at low/very low).

Please don't bite my head off...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Yuna

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not supporting any items for tournys (I hate spelling this word). I was just stating that if we were to consider items, food would probably have a high chance of being accepted due to its low healing ability (unless in groups) and lack of killing ability. I just can't picture a BS victory from a hamburger in a tournament (I'm assuming items are set at low/very low).

Please don't bite my head off...
Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I just meant to sound sarcastic.

Food can and will be broken if allowed in tournaments due to the fact that they heal. Almost every single item in the entire game can decide a match due to their effects. Even a single hamburger can, as my example proves above, become the deciding factor to a championship game.

Finals, last match, last stock on both sides. Both have high damage. One side eats a hamburger. They both hit each other, fly off, the one who ate the hamburger would've died immediately (screen hit) without the hamburger but doesn't (Star KO) while the other dies by hitting the screen.

Fair?

Sandwich

Smash Ace
The only item I can think of that doesn't have too many BS situations is the Franklin Badge.

Unfortunately, only the gay-*** franklin badge.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I just meant to sound sarcastic.

Food can and will be broken if allowed in tournaments due to the fact that they heal. Almost every single item in the entire game can decide a match due to their effects. Even a single hamburger can, as my example proves above, become the deciding factor to a championship game.

Finals, last match, last stock on both sides. Both have high damage. One side eats a hamburger. They both hit each other, fly off, the one who ate the hamburger would've died immediately (screen hit) without the hamburger but doesn't (Star KO) while the other dies by hitting the screen.

Fair?
Don't worry. I just sometimes fear being misinterpreted and consequently flamed. :)

To that scenario, I understand (ZOMG!! burg3r H4X!!) but since they were both at high percents, a simultaneous Smash would still arguably not leave a clear winner. I say this because since every character does not have equally strong smash attacks or weight (Marth/MK for example), the person who didn't eat the hamburger might still win due to their character (Marth) being inherently stronger and heavier than the burger eater (MK).

This was too long and I feel like a proponet for items. I'll just agree with your eventual counter-argument :)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
To that scenario, I understand (ZOMG!! burg3r H4X!!) but since they were both at high percents, a simultaneous Smash would still arguably not leave a clear winner. I say this because since every character does not have equally strong smash attacks or weight (Marth/MK for example), the person who didn't eat the hamburger might still win due to their character (Marth) being inherently stronger and heavier than the burger eater (MK).
If one knows exactly how to calculate knockback, the knockback of two strong attacks striking at the same time sending both flying and whoever's going to live the longest can be calculated.

In my hypothetical scenario, we'll assume that A would've died first and B would've won had it not been for A injesting a hamburger and thus healing just enough for A to win. Let's say B has a lot less damage than A but flies off and dies to the side (slowly) or downwards (also slowly). Had A had more damage (the damage that hamburger healed), he would've hit the screen but he instead dies a star KO:y death.

Or both fly off and one dies a star KO while the other barely survives because of having injesting a food item.

R i p

Smash Cadet
Very few items are even worth bringing up in terms of "balance". I mean, "randomness" aside, some items just shift the game too much. For example, the fan is an infinite.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
How about exploding boxes lols

And Super Spicy Curry while we're at it
Lulz, and don't forget the ray gun and fan.

Anyways, Yuna, I can see that, but, in reality, that situation isn't epicly common.

I mean, what about the characters masses and Knock back of said moves?

I think you should emphasise how the food would barely appear at all, (assuming low to very low) and as it is healing, it isn't even worth inclusion.

Although I had a sudden death one time as Sonic against a Sonic, we both used Homing attack and I won because I was Star KO'd instead of an out of bound.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lulz, and don't forget the ray gun and fan.

Anyways, Yuna, I can see that, but, in reality, that situation isn't epicly common.

I mean, what about the characters masses and Knock back of said moves?

I think you should emphasise how the food would barely appear at all, (assuming low to very low) and as it is healing, it isn't even worth inclusion.

Although I had a sudden death one time as Sonic against a Sonic, we both used Homing attack and I won because I was Star KO'd instead of an out of bound.
What part of "Let's assume that for this hypothetical battle, Player A would lose without the food while player B won but the reverse happens if Player A injests some food" is too hard for people to grasp?

Let's say we know all of the factors and can say for certain that A would die first had they not eaten that food item. It may not be common, it may not happen that often, but the fact that it can happen is bad enough since it's all due to lucky spawns.

It doesn't even have to be about the last stock. Say two players have high percentages on the 1st stock. One player dies while the other is at 136%, a perfect damage level to die from a smash or whatever. However, while Player A is respawning, food spawns in front of Player B (the one at 136%). He eats it and heals up enough so that Player As Fsmash, while it would've KO:ed B before the food, doesn't KO player B.

Player B survives, makes it back on stage and proceed to rack up 56% of damage before Player A can finally KO them... only now he's behind by 56%. That could happen quite often. A few % could be all that stands between you and barely surviving and getting KO:ed.

Even on Very Low, if it's the only item on, it will spawn often enough (like, once every 15 seconds or whatever).

R i p

Smash Cadet
Food isn't terrible and MIGHT be a good thing to help with the camping situation. Some stages have built-in sources of food(do they work if you set items to "None"?). In the end, I think no items will still be the way to go. I'm willing to have an open mind though.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
What part of, "I'm partially agreeing and solidifying your statement" is too hard for people to grasp?

I understand that. But even if this food spawned, the only part that makes sense in this hypothetical example is the player B surviving and racking up 50% before they themselves are KO'd.

Were talking about food, and at the max, I've seen 9% come off the top. Now, in a neutral arena, and even a counter pick, for one player to survive would require being hit perfectly from the middle, or otherwise one player would have an advantage in this hypothetical scenario amirite? Going from 136 to 129 would still result in being KO'd, if they are both hit with the same move, no matter which Fsmash it is. If the masses are the same being hit from the middle, Both would die being hit with a smash.

Aaaanyway, maybe I'm overanlyzing things.

I don't support items in competitive Brawl anyway.

bnestman

Smash Cadet
Yes, you literally have to be psychic to avoid it! And if you don't predict it right, well, all they have to do is wait 'til your invincibility is up and then kill you!

Only thing I don't agree with. It is possible to miss with a dragoon...you don't have to be psychic to dodge it...although they still don't belong in competitive smash.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Only thing I don't agree with. It is possible to miss with a dragoon...you don't have to be psychic to dodge it...although they still don't belong in competitive smash.
If you know how to aim and predict, the Dragoon is very easy to hit with. Combine this with usually killing in one-hit and you've got a super item to camp with (and we really don't need more of that).

bnestman

Smash Cadet
If you know how to aim and predict, the Dragoon is very easy to hit with. Combine this with usually killing in one-hit and you've got a super item to camp with (and we really don't need more of that).
Oh I totally agree, it really has no place in tourneys or anything competitive, but it's not guaranteed a KO like some FS's.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
The problem with a dragoon item is that it pops up all the **** time. I like to play with items, but the Dragoon is the one item I turned off because it literally shows up more often than any other item. The real issue I have with it is that in multiplayer brawl, it becomes less about beating people up and more about getting the Dragoon part, i.e., double or triple-teaming whoever gets a piece. And the pieces never go away--you won't get any different items until someone uses it. It really takes away from the technical aspect of actually fighting each other and instead makes it a "grab the Dragoon parts!" free-for-all. You could argue that the actual shooting of the Dragoon can be a very excellent battle of mindgames and skill, but there is just too much wrong with everything prior to that. At least with pokeballs and ATs, it's a one-time deal, slightly more random, and much more easily avoided. Even such broken things as hammers and warp stars aren't too hard to dodge if you know how. Not saying they belong in competitive smash, but they are much more appropriate than the Dragoon because they incorporate skill more than it does.

If it were the only item you guys used, it would show up a lot. If it weren't, it would still show up way more than necessary. Brawl is not an FPS and should not put so much weight on something so wholly unrelated to its main purpose as a fighter game. Stupid Kirby fascism.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
The same can be said for evasion, no?

If your opponent has the cursor on you, they are going to charge before the timer runs out.
Aerial dodging and such while escaping from the cursor isn't hard, but you can still be hit.

It is still broken, after one player KO's someone with it, the opponent might not get a chance to use it again, 3 peices and uncommon ratio for it to fall out.

The dragoon would cause camping, too. KO, and then finish the dragoon for KO 2. D:

No items plz.

Meta Ryu

Smash Apprentice
Out admist the icy plains of north america
IMHO if your'e going to have items on, half the reson you would do so is FOR the final smashes. They're an integral part of the game too, and while some may seem like a bit too powerful they create whole new strats and mindgames whenever they appear. In addition the dragoon is almost like a freebie final smash, only instead of being mostly dogeable , it one hits players often multiple at a time with only a very small window to dodge.

Final smashes = integral and fun

Dragoon = Over powered and not as fun

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What part of, "I'm partially agreeing and solidifying your statement" is too hard for people to grasp?

I understand that. But even if this food spawned, the only part that makes sense in this hypothetical example is the player B surviving and racking up 50% before they themselves are KO'd.

Were talking about food, and at the max, I've seen 9% come off the top. Now, in a neutral arena, and even a counter pick, for one player to survive would require being hit perfectly from the middle, or otherwise one player would have an advantage in this hypothetical scenario amirite? Going from 136 to 129 would still result in being KO'd, if they are both hit with the same move, no matter which Fsmash it is. If the masses are the same being hit from the middle, Both would die being hit with a smash.
O... K...

Let me repeat this slowly again. Player A has 136%. If Player A eats an Fsmash from player B right now, they'll die, although only barely. If they heal up 9%, they won't, they'll instead survive (just barely). Of course this is possible!

Of course you can miss with a Dragoon... but only if you suck because the hitbox is huge. If you practice using it for an hour or so, it'll be quite hard to not hit with it. And the only thing someone facing someone riding the Dragoon can do is try to predict (i.e. Play Psychic) when their opponent is going to use the Dragoon and try to dodge it, but what's this, you dodge it when they didn't fire it and now they'll fire it and kill you!

The same can be said for evasion, no?
Only it's infinitely harder to evade the Dragoon than to hit with it. Because of what I just said.

IMHO if your'e going to have items on, half the reson you would do so is FOR the final smashes. They're an integral part of the game too, and while some may seem like a bit too powerful they create whole new strats and mindgames whenever they appear. In addition the dragoon is almost like a freebie final smash, only instead of being mostly dogeable , it one hits players often multiple at a time with only a very small window to dodge.

Final smashes = integral and fun

Dragoon = Over powered and not as fun
How are FS:es integral parts of the game? Because each characters has an unique (except for in some cases) attack when they grab the Smash Ball (which is an item)? How is it different from any other item-assisted attack like the Beam-sword?

Everyone has a different beam-sword too. And batting items like the Baseball Bat and Lip's Stick. Star Rods are a bit individual as well as certain characters shoot more stars.

Are FS:es more integral because they "look cool"? Because they're big and awesome?

FS:es are no more integral than Beam-swords. People just like to think they are because they look cooler.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I'd also like to add that in two player matches, the camera pans around the victim, so basically you can sit the cross hairs in the middle of the screen, wait until someone comes out of a dodge, and just press A. You can slightly throw it off if you start jumping, but the victim will fall into the sights of the cross hairs.

Dragoon is not my favorite item, like Mik was saying, it really shows up a lot. More than I would want it to anyways. The problem for me is not the power, but the fact that you break the 2D playing field to use it. The special effect has gotten old, and fighting for it is frustrating.

It's not all bad, and I'm not denying the skill it takes to collect it, or the psyche of people dodging it, but hucking the Star Rod again and again at someones face is way more fulfilling when it makes contact.

At this point, I still have the Dragoon on though. Maybe it will grow on me.

As for suggesting it for competitive play, as in, the *big items-off tournaments that are da void of items*... that's not going to change for just one item.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I am gonna go ahead and say that the best idea might be to just do what we have been doing for the past 9 years in competitive Smash...

Just a guess :dizzy:

Corigames

Smash Hero
Look at your join date, should you be making this thread? F*** NO!

You don't even understand what that F'ing dragoon would do to competitive play. How would it appear? Magically or from capsules? Either way, you are still throwing a MAJOR distraction into the fight, on that can take an ENTIRE stock away like *snap* that. It's dumb. Anything that intant kills with no drop-back shouldn't be allowed. Then, on top of that, any other items have a major possibility of being broken. Have you seen the ****ing bouncer? ****!

No, I won't have any of that crap in my tournaments. There are already bombs, waddle dees, arrows, and plaenty of projectiles from Snake. If you want to use items, pick a character with them. Until then, no smashballs, no dragoon, no items, Final Destination.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Final Smashes should be on, dragoon is annoying, so probably not.

I'm laughing pretty hard at Yuna though, can't dodge the dragoon? Wow, you're awful.

Top Bottom