• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I Can, You Can: A Journey To Start A Smash Scene

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
NC has a really good scene that just keeps building. Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, and Asheville all have good communities with regular tourneys :)
really...
Mind if you could tell me where specifically? im not exactly sure what to google? lol

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Mm, not many of players showed up, me and another dude who live in the same location dedicated to work together and bring Brawl in our scene but it didn't work. We also tried Melee and 64 but it failed as well. My scene is brain-dead towards Smash and focus all there time in CoD games and such.
I see. Thanks for the reply, and for trying to set up a Smash scene. I'm too poor and too busy to do so. I don't even have any working Nintendo consoles anymore, besides my 3DS.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Warning: This post contains lots of rambling.

It's not possible for me to start a tournament in my area right now, but maybe in a few years I should probably have some time to do so. Hopefully some more video game stores/arcades will pop up in the meantime. There isn't even an arcade in my town anymore, and there's only 2 stores that sell video games (Walmart and a small Gamestop).

Hopefully I can start it, and someone else can take over. I like being able to get together with people and play games from time to time, but...... well, I am rather introverted, and I also have some pretty bad anxiety sometimes (and can overestimate how much I can handle social stuff from time to time because I can be quite naive at times). I'll have to start it though, because I have a feeling no one else will (especially because of the lack of video game related stuff in my town). You'd be surprised how many people will want to do one thing, but just never do it because they feel like they are the only one or some other reason; but actually do said thing once someone else nudges them to do it.

Whenever a scene gets made in my town, hopefully I can snag a few people to do some sort of Smash Bros series, similar to the effect of Smashing Sundays (and maybe do some random other games, cause even though smash is one of my favorites, I do play other games. I like some variety).

However, I have a feeling I'll have to start a little training side-thing to help newer players get eased into playing the game before we get any real serious tournaments running in my area.

No one ever punishes me when I do stupid attacks (unless I'm using a character that takes forever to recover from an up+B and I'm feeling greedy/playful because I'm getting bored with the match)
The best player in my area aside from me won't even use shields, grabs, or any dodge/roll. At least he picked up using projectiles with Samus from the last time (where I killed him without getting hurt at all by almost just standing still the whole time spamming super missiles and using the charge shot when he got close, I try to rack up damage, not outright kill.).
Level 9 computers are harder than he is, and those are nothing compared to fighting amiibos in sm4sh, which I can kill on a regular basis easily unless I'm playing a character I do not play much (some amiibos do not wait for you to test out your attacks before charging in after you, and I haven't even had much time to play with the new characters anyways).

With that said, good luck to everyone making a smash scene in your area.

AllysonWonderland

Smash Rookie
How much does running a tourney cost, on average? I'm currently between jobs and can't afford to host an event out of pocket.
No money, just time! We host biweeklies at my school and the only things we've spent money on are streaming equipment (e.g., sound board, amplifier, etc.), and even that's optional. You just need to find a venue with plenty of space, chairs, some tables, and a sufficient number of outlets. We use a local video game store. You can also advertise a venue fee refund if people bring full setups (CRT, console, copy of the game). Other TO's you may have helping you should/could also bring power strips, their own setups, and whatever else may be useful.

Overall, it requires little to no money, just some time :].

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I see. Thanks for the reply, and for trying to set up a Smash scene. I'm too poor and too busy to do so. I don't even have any working Nintendo consoles anymore, besides my 3DS.
Not a problem man; it would of been something if it did work, my scene in gaming are wealthy, so our scene would of been held as a national in a few years easily. Well, I still have YouTube to record matches and such. That's terrible to read about man, good luck with that current situation. Well Smash-4 is a game I'm not very fond of but Smash is Smash so meh. Thanks.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
So a smash scene = money tournaments. Personally I think the best way to start a scene is through old school smashfests. I have done that in Easton, PA and it has attracted many people from my area that just want to play Smash and get better without losing money all the time. In my experience, you just need to open your house to around 15 people at a time, just play Smash, and you have a community. They become your friends you see at tourneys and not people who pay you for a tourney.

Kerpy Derp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerpy Derp
3DS FC
3136-7596-2766
I just hosted a smash scene myself being a teenager I guess I didn't feel most of the pressure but if I could give a tip it would be keep it small maybe just one or two tourneys not a whole lot of people and u get to play keep it close if u play with ur best friends they will probably thank u its common courtesy.

A_Y

Smash Rookie
NNID
ant-3d
3DS FC
0963-2027-2441
but im so lazyyyyyyyyyy

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk

CeruleaX

Smash Rookie
:yoshi:Im very glad to have a smash community in my city, hopefully i can start going regularly to tournaments soon and get some experience in the MUs. I have never been in a smash tourney before but two months ago i met one good player in my city and played some matches with him and since that day he started coming to my house often to play Melee along with some other players. At first he just completely destroyed me, we played quite some time and yet i could not beat his samus but i have been improving and now i can compete and take sets, our matches are very close now. So im going to my first tournament this saturday and i know im still new to competitive smash but im gonna try to get the most out of it and improve as much and as fast as i can. I feel super lucky to have the chance to assist to this tourneys and have a community to play and have fun with
Mexicali huh? how big is you community bro?. Glad to see Starting smashers in Mexico :)

Last edited:

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
Do you plan on continuing this series? If so, I am eager to know if you will touch on managing these smash scene and the members required to manage them.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Do you plan on continuing this series? If so, I am eager to know if you will touch on managing these smash scene and the members required to manage them.
I'd like to say yes, but sadly no. I retired out of Smash stuff long ago unfortunately for many reasons and am off doing different things.

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
I'd like to say yes, but sadly no. I retired out of Smash stuff long ago unfortunately for many reasons and am off doing different things.
I see. Regardless, it has given me a spark nonetheless. So thanks for the starting push for those interested.
Maybe this can be a call for someone else to continue this series, who knows?

Best of luck in whatever you do now.:)

Top Bottom