• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If a tourney were to be held in Pekin, Illinois...

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I'm most likely not going to be able to make it this week because of the chain reaction of game releases that I'm going to have to get(GoW2, COD:WaW, WoW:WotLK) and I'm going to be hanging with friends on the days around the release dates of each game, so yeah...going to be busy.

Maybe next week sometime around Wednesday seeing as the cross country season will be over. Just gotta hope I'm not dragged into training for an additional two weeks to run at the Footlocker Nationals in Canosha, Wisconsin :p. ME NEEDS BREAK!!!

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Well we Smash every Friday night at my place if anyone would wish to get some brawlin' in. :-) I could send directions if you need 'em.

Also, just wanted to drop a reminder about the next Gamer's Sanctuary tournament: it's next Saturday. 1 vs. 1 on FD, 3 stock 8 minutes. I know my crew is definitely going, and I hope to see ya'll there.

studly

Smash Ace
Well we Smash every Friday night at my place if anyone would wish to get some brawlin' in. :-) I could send directions if you need 'em.

Also, just wanted to drop a reminder about the next Gamer's Sanctuary tournament: it's next Saturday. 1 vs. 1 on FD, 3 stock 8 minutes. I know my crew is definitely going, and I hope to see ya'll there.
give me a time and directions and i can easily bring a few guys out to yer place

Isn't Pekin IL one of the most racist cities in the US?
i thinks it useta be...but not so much anymore

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
Isn't Pekin IL one of the most racist cities in the US?
it ranked 1,2, and 3 as top 3 most racist cities in the us

so.. yes it is.. non white people including myself hesitate to go there.. there are still "meetings" there and in east peoria

anyways.. me want smash.. but no wednesdays

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
There is a high chance of St. Louis being interested in any IL tourney...
Hey, sorry nobody has responded to you yet, I'll definitely keep you updated as to when we're going to have a tournament. We're also hoping to get something new going when Christmas break rolls around.

I'll message you the directions to my house soon, Studly. :-)

D

Deleted member

hahaha,welp,looks like another buy-back win for me,giving me a total of 119.69 cents in store credit haha. Im still frustrated that i didnt win the very last match of the first tourny,lol. I suggest everyone look into countering a good snake like that, the first characters who came to mind for me are fox,falco and pit. Characters that can shoot him across the map.

But oh well, next tourny's a 2v2 so that should be interesting.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Yeah today's tournament was nuts. I was pretty sad that me and Dave had to fight against each other first, because to be honest, and I know "no johns", I had literally only played 5 games that morning since the last tourney xD! Anyways, he hadn't been playing either, so we both deserved to lose I guess lol. Josh, on the other hand, surprised the hell out of me. Ever since I watched his first match against whoever it was when he did that 1337 tech chase, I knew he was going to win the tournament.

Next month though, I'm probably going to primarily be working on my Melee game because I've noticed I like it a lot more because it's much more fast-paced and less noob friendly in my eyes, but I do give Brawl props because mind games still separate the good from the bad. Plus, I really never play Brawl online anymore because the little bits of lag really screw me over all the time, so they're basically both LAN-only games and I like Melee more ^^ I'm going to be training my friend who I brought with me to the tournament(He was Marth the whole time, and he was new to Brawl really, considering he hadn't played Brawl for 3 months, plus when he did play, he maybe had 2 weeks of competitive experience because he had just started playing Smash) for the Melee tournament, most likely going to BlackPanther's place to get our ***** whomped a bit, but hopefully prospering from it at the same time :p. We MIGHT make an appearance at the Brawl 2v2 though also, and we might try to chill at someone's place and play some matches to get used to doubles matches.

This last post is for Blackpanther or any of his Melee friends. The next Gamer's Sanctuary tournament is on Dec. 6th for Melee singles, and I'm not definite on the rules, but I believe it'll be Final Destination only(sadly, they don't know about counterpicks, and it's usually best 1 out of 1...mainly because of time issues seeing as they use one screen the whole time, but they might use a couple Wiis next tourney if the turnout is as much as it was this time)and I'll probably message him saying 4 stock 8 mins and he'll probably fly with that. So, mind if next week maybe my friend and I can come Smash it up a bit? My friend isn't good yet, but if I find the time this upcoming week I'm going to be trying to teach him all the advanced techs I can and well, he'll just have to develop fast against other good players xD. Anyways, you get better by playing people that are way better than you!

UGH, I really need to stop posting at night, I know there's a bajillion grammatical errors in this post, but I'm sure everyone can comprehend it well enough. Later~

studly

Smash Ace
mmmmmmm crazy insane snake
once again i didnt get to fight either of you...lol
but at least i had a good run in the first tournament...my group didnt stay for the second one since it took so long the first time around...

after that craziness two guys from my group went out and picked up some gamecubes and melee...so it looks like my group might be more supportive of melee events in the future.....

D

Deleted member

haha...im not as much a malee fan. I was ok but i never learned any advanced techniques n stuff,and i was never really competative.

But expect my group to show up at the next 2v2 at gamers sanctuary. One of them being that DK that ***** a previous champ in almost under a minute stage-spiking,lol

And to studly, i had a feeling you would rival him in the big characters department haha. Your match was very interesting, and i liked that ganoncide you pulled on him lol. You kinda dragged him through the floor on your way down,lol. He realized you would rival him went we watched one of your previous matches when he noticed you knew about the lagless spike haha. I hope to see all you guys at the next gs tournament.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Was the DK you're talking about the one I faced off against during the buy-back round? Just curious tbh, because if so, G&W is definitely a counter pick to DK :p

studly

Smash Ace
And to studly, i had a feeling you would rival him in the big characters department haha. Your match was very interesting, and i liked that ganoncide you pulled on him lol. You kinda dragged him through the floor on your way down,lol. He realized you would rival him went we watched one of your previous matches when he noticed you knew about the lagless spike haha. I hope to see all you guys at the next gs tournament.
yeah i wanted to stay and play some more...but i drove some guys who needed to get back by 5

it was an epic match....i went for a super ganon jump like 4 times too...(thats why i kept using the down b).... i usually go for awesomeness over a straight up win

all of us here on the boards need to get our crews together for some friendlies

D

Deleted member

haha im the exact opposite, i go for wins rather than awesomeness,but GOD the awesomeness is so tempting,lol. Im always affraid if i do something really intricate and cool ill screw it up and die,thats why i rarely used my Jet-Hammer,and only dededecided 1 time against that kid. I felt kinda bad going against him,lol....he actually was better than i expected though,several times he interrupted my attacks and it was difficult getting the chaingrab on him.

gahh!!! If only i could have gotten close enough to that snake to chaingrab him more than 1-2 times i could have won lol. Im gonna beat myself up for that loss for awhile lol.

studly

Smash Ace
gahh!!! If only i could have gotten close enough to that snake to chaingrab him more than 1-2 times i could have won lol. Im gonna beat myself up for that loss for awhile lol.
yeah lol...we were routing for yah

...and like i said allready we need to get crews together outside of a tournament for some friendlies

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I could understand the difficulty with that Snake, but you really only have to be able to dodge his projectiles well from my experiences with Snake when I played with D3, and that's mostly by first of all delivering a plentiful amount of Waddle Dees, basically cancelling out the effectiveness of his nades and probably his RPG as well....Then he has like 2 options which is attack from above which would probably have to be with fair which is slow to come out or dair which is really laggy upon landing. His second option being that he'd have to mortar slide which I have real trouble with because not only do you have to spot dodge the dash attack, you have to adjust to the up smash's missile when you go in for a punishment chaingrab because it will break Snake out of the grab and damage you ;_;. But yeah, you definitely have to squeeze out every little bit of % you can in that matchup and that's by chaingrabbing as far as possible across the stage, then preferably tossing him off the stage with either a fthrow or a dthrow depending on if you want to gimp him or not I guess, but don't bthrow him because it's just going to put him back on the stage and he's going to be a decent distance away to start up his ranged game again...Overall Snake vs. anyone is really difficult, but you will eventually get used to it and prosper ^^. One thing many people will never adjust to is Metaknight, however, because he literally has no bad matchups, at worst MK and his opponent are even in who could win the match.

I'm probably going to be focusing on the Melee tournament next month if anyone was curious, and if you guys would mind, try to convince the dude at GS to have it 4 stock 8 minutes on FD at least, but it'd be ballin if we could have 4 TVs & Cubes(Hell, my friend and I could provide two for him) and just run best out of 3s with counter picks because it wouldn't take that long, and I doubt many people will be participating in the Melee tournament because the technical skill takes a lot longer to learn and adapt to than in Brawl. Plus, suicides happen too much, at least for me xP.

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
gooey... im pretty sure rashad will be with that... see you thursday evening..

as for the tourney.. we would show up but i have a couple questions..

my first being how much control do you guys have over the thing? overall?

specifically..

the guy said instore credit... so are you paying real money and getting credit back if you win?? that's ridic.

and why do you guys need to clear tourney rules with the guy at the shop?

but yeah were probly in

oh and you 2 would make 6, so an extra set up.. or maybe just tv would be nice.. but get ahold of rashad first

D

Deleted member

lol gooey i tried spamming waddles but it didnt quite work,he doesnt throw them far enough and when snake fast-throws nades they tend to go over waddles. The only thing nice about the waddles is that i actually interrupted his mortar sliding with them. But i just couldnt get close to him,my only option really was to slowly make my way their with my back airial ready and then he just kept throwing nades or mortar slid or something. I tested after i got home and DDD's forward tilt actualy pokes the grenades away sorta,but doing a 2nd forward tilt will blow it up. also idk if anyone noticed but i tried air dodging and picking up the nades but i kept hitting them. I suck at picking up items that tiny lol. GAHH!!! I hate myself i hate myself lol.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I actually got a message back from him on his Myspace today concerning the Melee 1v1 tournament next month. If I can remember correctly(AKA, too lazy to check the message again) he said that he's interested in doing best 2 out of 3 series and I mentioned my friend and I could provide Cubes and copies of Smash if needed, and then I went into explanation about what to do in best 2 out of 3 series(posted the official picture of neutrals/counterpicks/banned stages) and why certain stages are and aren't allowed and for what reasons. Example: I used ICs vs. Shiek as an example and it's where Shiek bans Corneria and ICs ban whatever so that Shiek won't have to worry about the Corneria counterpick if they happen to win the second round, also depending on if Shiek loses the first round such as on a map like FD where chaingrabbing is going to happen a lot. Anyways, pretty complex but not complex stuff was explained to him and I mentioned 4 stock 8 minutes and I can only hope he messages me back with some info.

Cross your fingers boys, we may actually have a competitive tournament for Melee ^^. Although, I can't figure out how we'll solve this store credit situation...I don't know how to approach it myself but to see if the turnout will be big for this one, then maybe mention how people subtract venue fees from tournaments and how he could basically do the same but the venue fee money would just be the money for allowing people use up a room for a whole day in hopes of winning money or something...Kind of like how a tournament is usually for I guess? Idk, I'm confused now so hopefully you all have comprehended this once again :p.

Gamer's Choice INC

Smash Rookie
As far as the store credit thing goes, I have no problem leeting you guys set up and run a tourney, just throw me $10-$15 for using the place. I don't mind you guys setting the rules and stuff, I will probably learn something anyway. I am doing the same thing with the Madden tournaments, also. I have been letting the guys put it together themselves, and they just throw me 15 bucks for using the place. It has been working well thus far. The only stip I have is that I can provide the TV's and 1 system. You guys will have to come up with the other system.

As far as a larger scale tournament. Gooey, if you are worried about the size of the shop and what not, you can always rent out the Boys and Girls Club. But remember you'll have an overhead (rental fee) to deal with. If you have it at my store, I think giving me $100 of the total purse would be waaaaaayyyyy to much. I was thinking more like $30 or so. The main thing that concerns me is having the payout high enough to make it worth it. I would definitely do cash payouts for larger scale tourneys, though. I only did the store credit thing so I would get something out of the smaller scale tourneys I put on. One thing is.....Even if I do cash, I am not going to take half and give you guys the rest. That, in my opinion, is ridiculous. As I have always said, tournaments shouldn't be something that the host tries to make money on. That's the problem with some of these other venues. The tournaments should be a way to get gamers together to compete and have fun. After all, its exposure for me and my business anyway.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Like I said, if you guys want to put something together, just let me know. My door is always open.

Dan
Gamer's Choice INC.
1019 Derby Street
Pekin, IL 61554
309-346-2008

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ah Dan, bout time you replied xD!

That's awesome though that you would consider to do that for a tourney =). Yeah I guess I would just slip you some of the money for people joining in the tournament to cover whatever, and I could most likely easily get some TVs and Cubes/Wiis so things would go by much faster. I'm still just waiting for school to be done with for Winter Break first though because everything is so cluttered now and I can't find much free time, and when I do, I'm hanging with friends usually. So once Winter Break hits, hopefully I'm able to organize something on here and we can hold it over at your place!!!

By the way, what is your max occupancy? That'd probably help out a bit so I could kind of scale how many people could join in and how many setups would be needed. Also, I am considering doing both Brawl 1v1/2v2 and Melee 1v1/2v2 tournaments during the same day if by chance I can get enough setups to fly through each tournament, and start at noon. Prizes would just be distributed depending on how much money comes in for each tournament.

GODDDD I hate typing so much, I ALWAYS space out while typing more-than-one-paragraph posts!!! But yeah, it'd be really cool if something like this could go down and eventually turn out to be something like a bi-weekly or whatever...I've realized that there is more smashers around(and good ones) than I had originally thought, so it could work out. Just need to teach the button mashers/dodge rollers to stray away from their roots and start popping out some mind games and we got ourselves a Smash community =))))

Message me back if you're confused on anything.

Gamer's Choice INC

Smash Rookie
Sounds good. Like I said, I've got 3 TV's to utilize. Max Occupancy is probably 16 players (without being too cramped). Another thing I was thinking, also: If this thing takes off.........like you want it to.......you could do tourneys twice a month with two groups of 16, and then hold a mega tournament (32 players) at the Boys Club. I haven't checked their rates in a long time, but we use to be able to rent out the gym for 4 hours for like a hundred bucks. I don't know if that is the current rate, but we could check into it. By the way, I could use some lessons on Smash. I never really got into it, but watching everyone play in the tournaments I have had........I could definitely get into it!! I tried to put together a small tournament this weekend, but it didn't pan out too well. I don't know if guys are devoted to the Sanctuary and don't want to play here or what, but.........I would like to get more people over here and involved with it. All the tourneys I have hosted have been a lot of fun. Anyway, enough rambling. Let me know what you have planned. Feel free to post, stop in, call, email or whatever.

Dan

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Yeah I'll definetly check into doing tournaments like that! I think 16 man tourneys are kind of usual anyways for smaller areas so that doesn't sound too bad, I think we could get that many people pretty easily. By the way, about people at Gamer's Sanctuary, I really do think they are devoted to the place because they just had a 1v1 tournament last month with about an attendance of 40 people, so yeah... One downside was for sure their way of handling how smoothly it went along. They literally use just one big screen for all the matches, so the first round seriously took 2 hours, second round took 1 hour, and so on...REALLY boring, especially with the plethora of first round matches... So yeah, using multiple setups is definitely a good idea =). I don't really know why people don't come to your tournaments, however. It may be because most of the people that go there do other things as well such as play Magic, or whatever else they have there. I'm pretty sure that most of the people that have posted here that are in the surrounding area wouldn't mind going to one of your tournaments, though, so just the next time you are holding one get ahold of us and I'll try to spread the news I guess.

Now, on to you getting to learn a bit about Brawl.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873 - List of a bunch of the advanced techniques in the game, along with other neat discoveries as well. Definitely may want to look into working these into your game. Just click on the links within to find videos as well.

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118 - All the different character sections, just click on a section and browse all the nifty topics, and every section has a sticky with a good guide for each character, all you really need to do is read and apply it as you go.

Melee:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97603 - Everything you will EVER need to learn about Melee. Simply put :p.

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64 - Character sections again, but for Melee

Hopefully this will help! It's all really hard to soak up at first, but as you progress and improve, it all gets better. Btw, if you get into Melee and the advanced techniques in it, many will require LOADS of practice, and practice makes perfect ofc. Brawl is much easier to learn, however. Good luck!

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Actually, now that I think about it, you may be right...

Hmm...yeah idk, any ideas? The Boys Club sounds good but then again, it's only until for four hours, when I might be able to find a church that will allow longer hours. Does anyone know how long, on average, roughly 32 man tournaments last? If it's within a 4 hour range that'd be cool, I guess, but if not, we'd need to find somewhere else or something.

studly

Smash Ace
Actually, now that I think about it, you may be right...

Hmm...yeah idk, any ideas? The Boys Club sounds good but then again, it's only until for four hours, when I might be able to find a church that will allow longer hours. Does anyone know how long, on average, roughly 32 man tournaments last? If it's within a 4 hour range that'd be cool, I guess, but if not, we'd need to find somewhere else or something.
it depends alot on how many wii's we have going and wheter or not its best of 3 and 3 stock or 4 stock

i went to evo midwest which had over 50 players and 4 wii's best of 3 with 3 stock and it lasted 3 1/2 hours

D

Deleted member

woaa i had no idea there was another place for brawl tournaments so close to me besides gamers sanctuary,and me, being new to the competative gaming scene, really really is itchin to play in more tournaments. The wait for the gamer's sanctuary ones is agonizingly long imo and I'd like to go to more if i could. So, "Gamer's Choice",whats the deal with your tournaments? lol, I'll admit i didnt really read much of the last few posts here besides skimming over the words "Boy's Club" or something hahaha. But you may have just earned yourself another player/customer by posting on this forum haha.

D

Deleted member

haha i take part of what i just said back, I do know of another place for tournaments;my school hahaha. We just had a brawl tournment in our computer lab on a projector with about 19 people there including a teacher and it was epic. I ended up winning, but it wasnt much of an accomplishment cause everyone pretty much sucks hahaha. Only person who rivaled me was that kid you guys saw at the last GS tournament that played as DK haha. It was still alot of fun though, and we are gonna do another one at some point. before christmas break in the school.

studly

Smash Ace
haha i take part of what i just said back, I do know of another place for tournaments;my school hahaha. We just had a brawl tournment in our computer lab on a projector with about 19 people there including a teacher and it was epic. I ended up winning, but it wasnt much of an accomplishment cause everyone pretty much sucks hahaha. Only person who rivaled me was that kid you guys saw at the last GS tournament that played as DK haha. It was still alot of fun though, and we are gonna do another one at some point. before christmas break in the school.
dont double mpost man..its been labled as uncool here on the boards
anyway yeah i think this whole local smash thing heating up is freaking awesome.., on eof us just needs to man up and get some things running

Dave was talking about doing something over christmas break

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Which Dave :p? If you're talking about the one that's not me, he totally stole the idea from me xD! I MENTIONED IT FIRST, I GET CREDITS!!!

Lol jk, idc really...just we need to get something started I would say...

Btw, loving Melee so much more than Brawl right now, the speed makes it soooooo much fun! Then when I have to play Brawl with one of my friends who's not so good at Melee, I feel almost...crippled ;_; You can tell by just using Captain Falcon on Melee, then Brawl, and go, "Oh, that's why he's bottom of bottom tier..." <3 ACTUAL COMBOS

Anyways, enough favoritism, both games are pretty 1337, but I wonder if Street Fighter 4 will take Smash's spotlight away :p?

D

Deleted member

lol,sorry about dp. But yeah, I'd love to take part in more tournaments around these parts if i could. But im too lazy to "man up" so you wont be seeing any of that from me hahaha. Sorry lol.

also to lain, Death Note PWNS!

studly

Smash Ace
Which Dave :p? If you're talking about the one that's not me, he totally stole the idea from me xD! I MENTIONED IT FIRST, I GET CREDITS!!!

Lol jk, idc really...just we need to get something started I would say...

Btw, loving Melee so much more than Brawl right now, the speed makes it soooooo much fun! Then when I have to play Brawl with one of my friends who's not so good at Melee, I feel almost...crippled ;_; You can tell by just using Captain Falcon on Melee, then Brawl, and go, "Oh, that's why he's bottom of bottom tier..." <3 ACTUAL COMBOS
i was refering to "BraveDave" as in ur rival at every gamer sanctuary tournament weve had so far

mmm i know what you mean about the speed...try playing special brawl with the speed set to fast ...lol we played it for two hours the other day.....(happy birthday to melee)

anywho i cant freaking play both games as no buffering in melee ***** my soul every time i switch back...it will take me like an hour to get used to it again....but lets not switch this to a melee vs brawl discussion or theyll close the thread

Anyways, enough favoritism, both games are pretty 1337, but I wonder if Street Fighter 4 will take Smash's spotlight away :p?
i wonder about that too..cuz this whole nintendo hates us deal is starting to tick me off... and sf4 just looks so very sexy.. i know my crew is deff gonna start playing it along with smash... unless of course it sucks... lol

This thread has gone on since the dawn of time, with no signs of advancement.
yes...yes it has

Top Bottom