• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

idigitals theorys on witch veterans are going to stay or be kicked

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros Characters: Falco

Falco has been in every Smash, and even though Star Fox is (tragically) a largely dormant series, losing Falco would be a harsh blow. He's merely a semi-clone of Fox, though: maybe we'll see a more interesting moveset?
Slight error, okay read otherwise

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I previously had all these same thoughts, except for 1 or 2, before reading this.

I like it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"People say we don't need 3 kirby characters"

Dedede is more important than Meta Knight

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really strongly disagree with anything that he says but I do think his bias against Ike is anything but subtle. The only statements I disagree with are that Toon Link and Lucas are absolutely going to be cut (I think Toon Link is fairly safe due to technically being in two games already while I think Lucas is on the bubble along with Ike and PT) everything else is fine in my eyes.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Falco has been in every Smash, and even though Star Fox is (tragically) a largely dormant series, losing Falco would be a harsh blow. He's merely a semi-clone of Fox, though: maybe we'll see a more interesting moveset?
Ok yea I agreed when I read that part on the site change move set I was like ?i thought sakurai did change his moves??

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Everyone seems to assume Meta Knight will be cut
I haven't seen anyone say anything about Meta Knight other than he's a certain lock.

You can make a good argument that we don't need three Kirby characters
No you can't. Kirby is a big enough franchise with enough unique characters to warrant three of them, especially if Star Fox can warrant three characters too. The only crime against proper representation on the Brawl roster is that DK only has two reps and Metroid only has one.

In general I don't like how the whole article is written, the setup is clumsy and hard to navigate through, and there's no real order to it either. The writer seems to be a bit oblivious too.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

theorys on witch veterans

witch

Ulevo

Smash Master

theorys on witch veterans

witch

LOL

On another note, he apparently thinks Ice Climbers weren't relevant in either Melee or Brawl. Yeah. This is why fighting game articles always look silly when done by writers not involved in said scene.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This guys prediction are no better than ours...if not ours are better!

Its hard to say about PT although he was cool and unique and greatlt captures what PKMN actually is and what you do!

He takes alotta time to make and has problems like ppl were saying...im completly 50/50 if he will return....gonna miss Charizard...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
(I think Toon Link is fairly safe due to technically being in two games already while I think Lucas is on the bubble along with Ike and PT)
PT isn't on the bubble that much really. First off he was on the box art for Brawl. And to date not a single character being on box art has ever been cut and being on Brawl's boxart signifies he has importance to Smash. He ain't anywhere near thin ice, despite him being 3 character's worth to develop. If anything he is probably high priority.

Ulevo

Smash Master
PT isn't on the bubble that much really. First off he was on the box art for Brawl. And to date not a single character being on box art has ever been cut and being on Brawl's boxart signifies he has importance to Smash. He ain't anywhere near thin ice, despite him being 3 character's worth to develop. If anything he is probably high priority.

I'm not sure I fully agree with this. However, I really don't agree with the notion that Jigglypuff is at risk of getting cut more than Pokemon Trainer. Jiggs is among one of the most popular Pokemon in Japan, and has been a veteran for all three titles. Highly unique, and a lot of players like him/her.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm not sure I fully agree with this. However, I really don't agree with the notion that Jigglypuff is at risk of getting cut more than Pokemon Trainer. Jiggs is among one of the most popular Pokemon in Japan, and has been a veteran for all three titles. Highly unique, and a lot of players like him/her.
Where did I mentio Jiggs in my post? o.o

Anyway Jiggs getting cut actually isn't likely, she is probably jsut low priority (like she was in Brawl and like I THINK she was in Melee) but jsut because she is low priority doesn't mean she is likely to get cut. Very doubtful she will get cut, but very likely she will be low priority.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Despite him being 3 character's worth to develop.
I would argue that this and the fact that he represents a character now three generations back put him on the bubble. He's in the starting roster and he's unique but I could easily see the two things I mentioned being major factors in deciding whether he gets cut or not. Honestly, I think he'll be seriously revamped akin to how Young Link was pretty much turned into Toon Link in Brawl.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Where did I mentio Jiggs in my post? o.o

Anyway Jiggs getting cut actually isn't likely, she is probably jsut low priority (like she was in Brawl and like I THINK she was in Melee) but jsut because she is low priority doesn't mean she is likely to get cut. Very doubtful she will get cut, but very likely she will be low priority.

The author of the article mentioned that.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would argue that this and the fact that he represents a character now three generations back put him on the bubble. He's in the starting roster and he's unique but I could easily see the two things I mentioned being major factors in deciding whether he gets cut or not. Honestly, I think he'll be seriously revamped akin to how Young Link was pretty much turned into Toon Link in Brawl.
Being 3 gens back does not affect him in the slightest. lol Recency hardly matters in something like this, and the first gen is the most popular gen out there and Charizard is the most popular Pokemon in the world which alones gives him a good chance of staying.

As for him being revamped. It's possiblee he could get a multi gen look this time around and have Pokemon froms Gens 1-3 but still keeping Charizard.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Being 3 gens back does not affect him in the slightest. lol Recency hardly matters in something like this, and the first gen is the most popular gen out there and Charizard is the most popular Pokemon in the world which alones gives him a good chance of staying.

As for him being revamped. It's possiblee he could get a multi gen look this time around and have Pokemon froms Gens 1-3 but still keeping Charizard.
Here's what we know:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-time-bring-back-entire-smash-roster-wii-3ds/

1. Relevance does matter for Pokemon characters to a strong degree and the current generation is given the most consideration. When Brawl started development in 2005, it was still third gen and fourth gen was just around the corner. Keep in mind that a vast majority of the roster was decided by May 2006, PT included.

2. Pokemon Trainer is technically four characters in one because the Pokemon Trainer in the background has his own character file that includes AI and character animations. Sakurai states here that if characters are cut, it will be because of time and he specifically states that they don't have time to develop every character who has ever been in a Smash game.

With all this being said, it's really a matter of time and it goes without saying that PT would be very time consuming thus making him a strong candidate to be cut if it comes down to the deadline and someone has to go.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Here's what we know:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-time-bring-back-entire-smash-roster-wii-3ds/

1. Relevance does matter for Pokemon characters to a strong degree and the current generation is given the most consideration. When Brawl started development in 2005, it was still third gen and fourth gen was just around the corner. Keep in mind that a vast majority of the roster was decided by May 2006, PT included.

2. Pokemon Trainer is technically four characters in one because the Pokemon Trainer in the background has his own character file that includes AI and character animations. Sakurai states here that if characters are cut, it will be because of time and he specifically states that they don't have time to develop every character who has ever been in a Smash game.

With all this being said, it's really a matter of time and it goes without saying that PT would be very time consuming thus making him a strong candidate to be cut if it comes down to the deadline and someone has to go.
That is really only a problem if PT is mid or low priority. Which I doubt to be the case. More then likely PT is high priority and is thus being worked on before other characters. The most relevavent Pokemon Brawl got was Lucario, yet there were still 5 gen 1 Pokemon. Gen 1 has always had a abudance of reps compared to the other gens repped in Smash games. So the argument of gen 1 being old is pretty invalid due to this.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except that it was reflecting the Red and Green/Blue remakes of Fire Red and Leaf Green down to the character design of PT which was technically third gen. Chances are they were chosen because of that and because Red/Pokemon Trainer was also a highly requested character in the Melee poll with most of the Brawl newcomers (except Lucario, Ike, Olimar, ROB, and ZSS for obvious reasons) coming from that source.

Pocket Monsters series
(1) Mewtwo: 35
(2) Mew: 24
(3) Satoshi (main character): 18
(4) someone from Pokemon: 12
(5) Lugia: 11
(6) Nyarth: 8 (Meowth)
(7) Raichu: 7
(8) Maril: 5
(8) Fushigidane: 5 (Bulbasaur)
(8) Togepi: 5

Keep in mind that Mewtwo was considered for the original but was left out due to time constraints.

Also, Sakurai has shown that he does, in fact, care about relevance.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn007.html

On the post labeled YH, a fan asks about Princess Daisy and he subsequently turns down the idea because she didn't play any important roles as of late. Sakurai does make exceptions for retro franchises but, that's the thing, Pokemon is hardly retro and changes dramatically from generation to generation. Pikachu is the franchise mascot and Jigglypuff has been in all three games so the fact that the both began in the first generation is irrelevant.

All this being said, PT could stay but I'm not holding my breath and wouldn't be surprised if he left.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

they are half right, since his moveset is Fox's from 64.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Except that it was reflecting the Red and Green/Blue remakes of Fire Red and Leaf Green down to the character design of PT which was technically third gen. Chances are they were chosen because of that and because Red/Pokemon Trainer was also a highly requested character in the Melee poll with most of the Brawl newcomers (except Lucario, Ike, Olimar, ROB, and ZSS for obvious reasons) coming from that source.

Pocket Monsters series
(1) Mewtwo: 35
(2) Mew: 24
(3) Satoshi (main character): 18
(4) someone from Pokemon: 12
(5) Lugia: 11
(6) Nyarth: 8 (Meowth)
(7) Raichu: 7
(8) Maril: 5
(8) Fushigidane: 5 (Bulbasaur)
(8) Togepi: 5

Keep in mind that Mewtwo was considered for the original but was left out due to time constraints.

Also, Sakurai has shown that he does, in fact, care about relevance.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn007.html

On the post labeled YH, a fan asks about Princess Daisy and he subsequently turns down the idea because she didn't play any important roles as of late. Sakurai does make exceptions for retro franchises but, that's the thing, Pokemon is hardly retro and changes dramatically from generation to generation. Pikachu is the franchise mascot and Jigglypuff has been in all three games so the fact that the both began in the first generation is irrelevant.

All this being said, PT could stay but I'm not holding my breath and wouldn't be surprised if he left.
Ermm, you are the first person I have ever seen to call Fire Red and Leaf Green third gen. o.O FRLG are revamps of Gen 1 games making them Gen 1 to. o.O Gen 3 is RSE and everything related to the Hoen region. FRLG are basicly remakes of RBG. o.O

Revelance does matter a little bit but its definatly not a sole deciding reason and play rather little importance. If relevancy really mattered that much why would we have gotten Lucas in Brawl? Why did we get Didd Kong in Brawl, because at the time he was in anything that recent (as far as I can remember)?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
the only theory I have is sakurai doing is most popular characters to the least popular so theres not too much complaints but I doubt hes doing it like this to get every veteran ready even though some are going to get cut and we have zip idea whos most popular and whos the least but again I really doubt hes doing it like this

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
LOL

On another note, he apparently thinks Ice Climbers weren't relevant in either Melee or Brawl. Yeah. This is why fighting game articles always look silly when done by writers not involved in said scene.
I'm pretty sure he means that there were no recent Ice Climbers games around the time of either Melee or Brawl, so relevancy (or lack thereof), wouldn't be a reason to cut the Ice Climbers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ermm, you are the first person I have ever seen to call Fire Red and Leaf Green third gen. o.O FRLG are revamps of Gen 1 games making them Gen 1 to. o.O Gen 3 is RSE and everything related to the Hoen region. FRLG are basicly remakes of RBG. o.O

Revelance does matter a little bit but its definatly not a sole deciding reason and play rather little importance. If relevancy really mattered that much why would we have gotten Lucas in Brawl? Why did we get Didd Kong in Brawl, because at the time he was in anything that recent (as far as I can remember)?
But it was remade in the 3rd generation. That's the point. It's a remake of the 1st generation.

Brawl started development in October 2005 while Mother 3 came out April 2006. Diddy Kong has been playable in almost all the Mario Kart and Sports games since 2003 and was playable in Donkey Konga 1-3 (2004/2005), DK King of Swing (2005), and DK Jungle Climber (2007) before Brawl came out.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It'd be interesting to see them change poke-trainer from a 3-in-1 character to a single character (you play as the boy) whose attacks actually involve the pokemon popping out and attacking. Might look pretty ridiculous, but that's one possibility for reducing the amount of work with the character.

That or turning him into an Olimar-like character, where the pokemon follow him and just modify his attacks a bit, instead of 3 separate movesets.

Poke-Trainer was my most anticipated newcomer with Brawl, actually, so I'd be a bit sad to see him go. I'd also be sad about Ganon, Falco, and Zelda/Sheik, but that said, I am completely happy with the roster NOW, so everything else is just icing.

I'm also pretty excited for the potential newcomers they seem fairly likely to add. Little Mac, Isaac, whoever from FE, etc will all make great additions if they make it in.

Just chalk it up to my being excited for this game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If they can make PT work and find the time to make him work by all means but his situation reminds me too much of the old joke about the sinking boat and the fat old woman and her pet carrier full of cats. :laugh:

Conis

Smash Rookie
I'd say there's a 30 percent chance Ganondorf is replaced by Ghirahim
After this, I had a hard time taking him seriously.

He also went on to say that Sheik would be cut because "we're getting SS Zelda and not OoT Zelda" (ignoring the fact that we didn't even get SS Link and that Brawl had TP versions of the Zelda characters). Snake was considered problematic because of PSASBR, even though he wasn't in it and the game/franchise (unfortunately) looks dead for now. Lucas is out for being a Ness clone...even though he's not and that would be irrelevant anyway. Toon Link is going to be replaced by ALBW Link, despite how little sense that would make...

Really, all of his "theories" seem to be based on inaccurate over-analysis with a dash of personal bias. Pretty standard fare for roster predictions, so I don't see why it's worth paying any special attention too.

As for PT, I highly doubt he's going anywhere. Relevance doesn't really matter for him - his unique (sort of) gimmick is probably why he's in. Plus, he shows off different stages of Pokemon evolution, which is pretty nifty, and he appeals to the staggeringly high amount of people with huge boners for gen 1 (though to be fair, gen 1 has great starter 'mons and they're all really popular too - Charizard especially). Don't really see any reason why he'd be axed or even have his Pokemon replaced.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Krystal – Star Fox Adventures

There is a heavy abundance of Star Fox characters in the Smash Bros games already, but not without a lack of interesting variety among them. The gameplay style for each character from the Star Fox universe has been very similar, almost clone-like to Fox himself in both Melee and Brawl. With Krystal however, things can be changed for the better and answer a request many Nintendo fans have had for a long time. Having missed the chance to include her in Brawl despite her overwhelming popularity, Nintendo can remedy this by including Krystal as a fighter and replacing both Fox and Falco on the roster. Utilizing moves involving her staff and other abilities from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal can contribute more to the roster as another strong female playable character in the next Super Smash Bros game.

What the ****, is this guy out of his mind? Replacing Fox and Falco with Krystal? Did the Krystal supporters become more delusional or it's just him?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Lol Travis Touchdown. Yea that ain't ever gonna happen. Where do you find these clowns? lol

Edit - Oh and Krystal replacing both Fox and Falco. rofl. Really where do yuo find these people. xD
believe me I highly doubt travis would get in but the problem is sudo 51 wants him in and its very possible that sakurai and him are friends and this is kindof the same way snake got in the same way believe me or not but snake was mean't for melee Hideo Kojima tried that but melee was too close at the time and snake got in immediately on brawls trailer

but I still highly doubt travis is getting in I swear

nessokman

Smash Lord
I don't think we're losing Lucas. Mother needs 2 reps, either Lucas, porkey, or masked man.

Top Bottom