• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas for Falco in doubles?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Hey, Falco board. I'm a recovering MK addict (I'll get through the withdrawals. Eventually, lol.)
After switching my main to Falco I've found him FAR more fun to play. My only problem with him is my inability to make him effective in doubles play and being forced to revert back to MK play for team brackets. Most of Falcos awesome abilities seem to be about locking down a single opponent, which can be easily interrupted by the presence of other players.

So, anyone had success with Falco in team play? If so, how?

poopymum

Smash Rookie
Noobing around one day in a doubles match i found shdl'ing while approaching with ur patner in front to land a strong hit and when close enough use shine to prevent an interruption of projectiles or any attackes made against ur partner but mainly shdl'ing right behind ur partner where he takes an opponent and you quickly lock down the other while ur partner can combo the one he picked worked for me >.>

DUAL projectile approaches worked alot like falco SHDL'ing and ur partner, saying he has a good normal B button projectile approach can lock the other team down, my partner was a mario when it worked so we'd both approach like that and he'd cut out early to start a combo

Mith_

Smash Champion
You must have been playing with team attack on. In tournaments team attack is usually on iirc.

poopymum

Smash Rookie
You must have been playing with team attack on. In tournaments team attack is usually on iirc.
i dont know which option makes it so u can't hit ur partner but in the games i was playing you couldnt

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
In competitive play you can hurt your partner. So spamming doesn't work that well with Falco.

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
Theoretically, if you short hop and immediately spam laser, you create two lasers that fly over the heads of an opponent ( and teammate). Perhaps this has applications for controlling the stage in doubles play?

Just speculating.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Yeah, team attack will be on in any legitimate tournament. Double lasering to discourage the opponent's aerials seems like a decent idea.

I want to try some matches paired up with someone that is capable of locking one opponent down, such as Ice Climbers or Meta-Knight. If my partner can keep one enemy away, Falco might be able to bring his beastly abilities to bear properly.

One thing I've been noticing so far is that the jab-combo works really well. With how crowded the stage gets on teams, the range and priority on it spaces the opponent really well and herds the opponents together for your partner to bring his big moves to bear on.

arch knight

Smash Lord
if you want to get risky you can use a powerhouse like ike or something use falco to deal damage from afar or close quarters then push them into ike do deal a timely smash to send them flying always worked for me anyway

PND

Smash Champion
I play Falco in my doubles team for tourneys, and we do quite well. We've placed 3rd before, and we place 4th very consistently. Our standard team is Pit + Falco. I shdl over his head with a constant barrage of lasers while he arrow snipes. Occasionally I'll fullhop laser to mess up approaches.

Beyond that, we have amazing chemistry together, to the point that he can fire a cross stage arrow at me, I'll be fighting an opponent, dodge the arrow and upsmash kill my opponent through the hitstun of the arrow. Once you get used to the projectiles, the spam can actually be beneficial. Plus we have a constant wall of edgeguarding. Mind you, I do occasionally play Snake instead, depending on our matchups.

Other times I'll team with a Ganon, just so when we eliminate one partner he can muderchoke into laserlock

EDIT: Plus, THE FIGHT IS ON, YOU'RE NOT READY YET, PIZZA CAKE (piece o'cake) and HANDS OFF MY BREAD = winning taunt combos.

wangston

Smash Lord
I hate doubles with Falco. Well I hate double period I'm always losing two of my stocks at 50% or less from getting gimped. Doubles are too chaotic for me. However if I do play smart and don't get gimped at all I usually end up destroying the other team as In me getting 4-6 KO and my teammate has a full stock or two stocks left. I can't stand doubles it's so much different than 1v1, you cannot play doubles like you do singles or you will end up like me KO'd at less than %50. I'm sure Falco is great for doubles as long as you're not getting gimped.

PND

Smash Champion
My partner (pit) and I usually play center stage back to back to overcome that. In the event that I do get pushed off, he can arrow snipe me to give me recovery back or drop down and save me with an aerial. Initially the gimp factor was our biggest downfall, but we worked around it.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Two awesome projectiles and reflectors together sounds like win. I need to try that out. Now if only I knew any good Pit players...

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
Falco is solid in Doubles. He can utterly lock down pretty much any opponent, so have your teammate select his favorite matchup on the field and you can shut down the other player. For instance, I usually play either Snake or Falco, and my partner plays Game and Watch. Marth gives my friend fits (more than usual for G&W players, his style is just manhandled by good marths) but I used to play a decent marth, so I know how to play against marth. If I'm falco, my gameplan is to play keep-away, preventing that sword-weilding ******* from getting at my ally.

For instance, if we're playing against Marth/Metaknight (which happened once), I will play Falco. I'll then use Falco to punish the ever loving hell out of Marth while my friend's g&W takes care of MK (and for whatever reason, he has an unusually easy time against metaknights). Then he'll start trying to kill MK (switching from damaging combos to kill combos), and I'll throw/push Marth (who's usually around 140/150 at this point, I can rack damage up fast as Falco but have a problem getting kills) into his kill moves such as the down smash. Pretty standard for us is to have a kill split of 6/0 or 5/1, but to have at least three stocks total at the end.

What the op said is true: Falco's style is much better at locking down opponents. But that's actually good for doubles. Especially since Falco (with his shine, which has set knockback) has a lot of good ways to control where your opponents end up.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
:ganondorf: and :falco:. Ganon does force choke, Falco does Laser Lock, and then Ganon does Warlock Punch. Piece of cake.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Falco and Metaknight...Every team needs a Metaknight.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
This might be situational, but as someone with an Ike player for their typical doubles partner, laser-lock into F-smash seems useful once you can get one opponent gone. Also, some SHDLs don't hurt, if you do it earlier than you would in 1v1s (two fairly high lasers, preferably over your partner's head), as a few people have said, you can kind of discourage aerials, which is a pretty huge disadvantage to some characters.

Also, if you tell us who you're expecting to be your partner, a little character-specific advice never hurts!

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
My usual teammate plays Game and Watch and ROB really well, plus he's starting to learn the Ice Climbers.

I team with a Donkey/Diddy kong player sometimes too.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
what about falco link ? link has a decent proyectile game , and i find his shield as an advantage when playing against spamming characters , and its funny when you shine but your partner is in the blindspot usually ppl end up like wtf , can you give me any tips for doubles also? im going to a dboules tourney on november so i have plenty of time to train but i wat to know viable partners

Top Bottom