• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea For Unlocking Characters

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
How to unlock characters: Step one: Pull out credit card... :troll:

But seriously, I just thought of this: If you are getting character just by playing vs matches, I think it could make things interesting if the characters you unlock are in a random order rather than a preset, predicable one like Melee & Brawl has done.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I like being able to unlock the characters in any order, so you can get who ya want when ya want.

Like beat classic with mario to get luigi.
Beat target smash with Link to get Ganon.
Beat adventure with Kirby to unlock metaknight.

Hopefully all the modes needed to unlock characters are available from start.

Having to unlock them in order like in smash 64 sucked.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The conditions to unlock characters in Brawl felt fairly lackluster to me as you could unlock most of them by simply playing SSE. At the very least they should make one character unlockable either through clearly Classic with all other characters or Target Test (If everyone has unique stages) with all other characters. This was a fun challenge because you were forced to experiment and learn the basics to every character in order to unlock G&W for Melee. And who knows, maybe you'll find a new character you like after completely ignoring them.

Unlocking characters is a lot more fun if there's a challenge associated with it such as HRC, events, target test, classic, multi-man melee, etc.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Here is an idea: By finding a character in the story mode you can use it but... To use it in the other modes you have first to complete the story mode you are playing, then start it with the character you found, that now will be avaiable for the story mode only, and complete it again.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Well I kind a agree that you could find them in story but NOT unlocking them for other modes.. Since I love the "Challanger Approches" touch to the Super Smash Series as a way of earning characters!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I would rather unlock the characters outside story mode, then have their stories become available.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, I want the characters you unlock in story mode to be only available in story, while doing it the old fashioned way if you want a character in any other mode. SSE took away a lot of the challenge and fun of unlocking characters.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'm sure Nintendo will do some and some and more than one way to unlock each character in the final version of the game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How about this?

You unlock a character by having a certain amount of combos in training?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You guy's do know it's possible to unlock characters in other methods besides the SSE right? The only characters who actually require the SSE are Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf. Unless I'm missing something... :/

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You guy's do know it's possible to unlock characters in other methods besides the SSE right? The only characters who actually require the SSE are Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf. Unless I'm missing something... :/
I'm aware, but those three mean you still have to beat SSE to get every character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Every character can be unlocked via VS. matches, even Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf.

It took me a few hours to unlock all characters.
I unlocked Sonic, then Mario Bros. stage and kept dying. :troll:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
To unlock Mr. Resetti: Reach the Animal Crossing stage in the story mode. After at least thirty seconds you entered it turn off the console without saving and restart the game. When you will reach the Animal Crossing stage Mr. Resetti will pop out to fight you.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sou
To unlock Mr. Resetti: Reach the Animal Crossing stage in the story mode. After at least thirty seconds you entered it turn off the console without saving and restart the game. When you will reach the Animal Crossing stage Mr. Resetti will pop out to fight you.
nSounds dangerous..but lool great idea your heart was in the right place...

Looool his lectures are worse than anything fighting him...loool

volbound1700

Smash Master
The key is to not make it to challenging to unlock stages/characters to frustrate people that are not great at the game.

I have seen my frustration explode on Super Mario Strikers trying to unlock Petey Piranha. You have to play 10 games then go to a one game elimination. I literally went undefeated in the 10 game run, won the first two sudden death 11-0 and 8-0 and then lost in final to Luigi 4-3 in sudden death. I was so frustrated. I have tried 3 times now and got eliminated, mostly in dumb unfair ways (computer gets all the good items in the game for example).

Sonic Adventure DX is another annoyance requiring me to get 130 emblems to unlock Sonic Triple Trouble. Just wrong. Especially when you have dumb fishing missions and missions that require you to beat levels that took you 13 mins to beat in 7 minutes. Every little mistake in the time runs requires a start over on a LONG LEVEL.

So yes, please don't be annoying about the main unlockables but I don't mind if some trophies are near impossible to unlock/obtain. So far Smash has done a good job at this but other games haven't.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I agree. Challenging to guess is one thing. Challenging to perform is another.
That's why I think the first option is still preferable, still not without some effort to do, like win a match with 300% of damage.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Win a match with 300/ damage thats a cool one but only in a solo game mode not Vs..otherwise that char will be the easiest to get..comnect 2nd player pad..

volbound1700

Smash Master
I actually beat the final cup of Super Mario Strikers last night and got Petey Piranha. I went 2-1 against Petey winning first and losing second before winning third. Should have won second because I had 4 powershots in the goalies face at full strength (literally was next to the goal) and not a single one went in. That is very rare for that game. Petey ended up winning very dumb as well towards the end. Oh well, still won the whole thing. Strikers Cup is very hard on that game (although regular season is easy at times as I would beat the Comp 11-0 and such, it is the single-elimination tourny and Petey Piranha that is a pain).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally I prefered Brawl having both story unlocks and traditional ones. How many of us without the internet was surprised to be playing Melee years after release and then HOLY CRAP Mewtwo is in the game!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I felt more accomplished unlocking things in Melee than Brawl. I hope they bring that aspect back.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I felt the same about both Brawl and Melee unlockablees. Melee had difficult stages to unlock but characters were relatively easy to unlock in both games. Kind of like it that way in fighting game.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Dunno if some peepz have already suggested this but wouldnt it be cool if Instead of a ''Challenger approaching screen and music'' for Pokemon it would be that ''Whos that pokemon thing from the anime lol'

But yh then you would know its a pokemon char also thats old right they dont do that in the anime now do they?

Cool fun idea though.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Personally I prefered Brawl having both story unlocks and traditional ones.
I'm definitely agreeing with this one. I'm not one to try and guess how to unlock all the characters like melee. I guess it can be fun at times, but it can also be very annoying. But to give the players the full power, if you open all the characters via story mode, then just go to the erase option and delete all the characters, and do all the requirements outside of the story mode (I believe you can do that already?)

Another crazy idea for unlocking characters could be that you have to do certain requirements with a certain character. Example:

- How to unlock Mewtwo: Play as Pikachu and clear target test in XX'XX'XX" time, get XXXXXX score in classic on "whatever" difficulty, and defeat XXX polygons/wire frames whatever the heck they are in 3 minute man challenge.
- How to unlock Luigi: Play as Mario in a 3 stock battle against a level 9 Bowser without losing a life (no special rules allowed).

This is a bit crazy, but hey, it makes the game a little more interesting.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I guess I'll be a bit bold and suggest this idea: How about having the story mode itself be unlocked after unlocking every character first? That way, it's not so easy to unlock the characters like it was through the Subspace Emissary. And the story doesn't spoil who's in the game for those who wish to unlock the characters through the more challenge-based means.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll be a bit bold and suggest this idea: How about having the story mode itself be unlocked after unlocking every character first? That way, it's not so easy to unlock the characters like it was through the Subspace Emissary. And the story doesn't spoil who's in the game for those who wish to unlock the characters through the more challenge-based means.
Honestly, I actually like this idea a lot. There's just one problem with it though: Story mode is almost the last thing you unlock. If this is melee style, I actually wouldn't care if the story mode was last (I really liked the adventure mode too). But I'm guessing this is Brawl style, so it would seem interesting to implement this, but it may seem a bit too much, especially if story mode is one of the huge new things about the game itself.

Imagine opening the last character and then seeing a new story mode opening up. There's going to be two different types of reactions: :D and D:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Honestly, I actually like this idea a lot. There's just one problem with it though: Story mode is almost the last thing you unlock. If this is melee style, I actually wouldn't care if the story mode was last (I really liked the adventure mode too). But I'm guessing this is Brawl style, so it would seem interesting to implement this, but it may seem a bit too much, especially if story mode is one of the huge new things about the game itself.

Imagine opening the last character and then seeing a new story mode opening up. There's going to be two different types of reactions: :D and D:
Yeah, that's why I think it's a little too drastic of a thing to implement. Personally, I'd find it totally awesome to finally unlock my last character, then discover I've got a big new story mode to play through with all of the fighters I've collected.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Just gonna point a little something out here: SSB is first and foremost a party fighting game. That is, even if the story mode is a large part of it, the multiplayer game-play is the focus. It's like most fighting games out there. As it so happens, I unlocked most of the characters in Brawl through player matches before I even realized you could unlock them in story mode. IMO it's not that big an issue that characters get unlocked in story mode unless you're either deliberately trying to unlock them that way (which is pretty meh) or you're a gigantic loner (we all are :troll: but to be serious, there's very few people who are loners, especially with a game as big as this, if you get what I mean). What you could probably do is have them in order though (unlikely but possible, yes). That is, characters that are unlocked first in the story mode are unlocked first by just playing matches. Characters that are unlocked later in the story mode are unlocked by more difficult stuff in the rest of the game. This would mean that on days when you're bored you could pick up the story mode for a while, drop it, play regular SSB and unlock more characters.

Basically, if you played it balanced you'd get a nice amount of unlocked chars from regular smashing and a nice amount from the storyline. Just have it so that once you've met them in the storyline you also get the 'challenger approaching' screen, the same as if you'd got it normally.

And say no to characters only getting unlocked after story mode has finished. It's bad, silly and stupid. All chars should be in the story if possible IMO. Honestly it wouldn't have been that hard to implement jigglypuff, wolf and toon link in to the SSE with a few cutscenes in an already existing level.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Agreed that Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf should have not required storyline. I think some characters should not be unlockable via storyline and perhaps other ways to unlock them. However, I wouldn't put them too hard of a difficulty, I don't want to see that. You want even an average player to be able to unlock the full roster because that is why people buy Smash for the roster. I also like the option of playing a certain number of matches unlocks a character.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh but its good for atleast the last 2 chars to be a ***** to get like G&W in melee & Mewtwo feels a sense of drive for completion.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yh but its good for atleast the last 2 chars to be a ***** to get like G&W in melee & Mewtwo feels a sense of drive for completion.
Agreed. Brawl's unlocking criteria felt too easy.

An example: To unlock Ness, play just 5 VS. matches (iirc).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I thought it was just plain weird to unlock Snake by playing on his stage. You should've unlocked Shadow Moses by playing as Snake. I hope they don't pull something like that again.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
True, but 700 vs. matches/20 combined vs. hours? Don't you think that's a bit much? But then again, the concern of "a sense of drive for completion" is what makes it that much more motivating to do this, no matter how tedious it may seem.

Agreed. Brawl's unlocking criteria felt too easy.

An example: To unlock Ness, play just 5 VS. matches (iirc).
Well yes, this is a bit too easy, but then again, you never know if an absolute beginner is playing this game.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus- get defeated as Samus
Lucina- defeat Chrom as Tactician
Sothe- defeat any villain character as Micaiah and make sure you get at least 50% damage

Top Bottom