• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea For Unlocking Characters

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The roster would start off with just the Original 12 with around 40 unlockable characters.

They would make a character map with only unlockable characters similar to the challenges mode in brawl. The map would start off with blank windows. After unlocking a character, their window breaks and you can choose 2 boxes next to it become transparent showing a shadow of that characters icon(like in the challenger approaching screen) and revealing how to unlock them.

Thoughts?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
A measly 12 characters to start with? Where's the benefit in that?

People like unlockables but there's no reason to go overboard with it.

peeup

Smash Lord
I think it's more fun when you don't know how to unlock characters. You know, like you just do all the random things you can think of, and then BAM the Challenger Approaching screen appears and you start to pee yourself in excitement. Much more fun to be a surprise than if you know what you're doing. At least in my opinion.

Also, you definitely should have to beat them to unlock them. No happy go lucky joining your party like in SSE. Challenger Approaching is a must.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
@The Real Gamer
I figure since this is probably the last Smash Bros, we might as well spend some time unlocking the characters. I unlocked all of Brawls in a day and about 80% of Melee as well. Plus it'd be sort like a testimony to how smash started off.

@peeup
You'd still get that. With that many characters to unlock, you're bound to stubble across several of them by accident. Plus, this way people won't need to go to websites with spoilers on how to unlock everyone while still giving you something to work towards. It's not like you'd know how to unlock a whole bunch at the same time.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It would be nice to have a Kirby Airride type challenges screen, as opposed to the Brawl one with a scrolling grid. It gives a little incentive to "Clear 100-Man Melee" so you'll really want to do it instead of just ****ing around.

Though there is benefit to a minimalistic "Your main reward is the high score" approach.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Personally I'd like to see the characters grid as a honeycomb with all the cells viewable (so you know many characters the game has and you are more encouraged to unlock them). But the ones of the secret characters locked by a cube with a ? on each side (you see: a cube, from a certain perspective, is like an exagon and wold fit very well in the cell of a honeycomb).

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Yes, I'd like this idea. Hell, I'd like it if you just started with Mario and had to beat Bowser in an event match to unlock Peach, and then do something with her and so on.

But I'm not someone who likes to jump straight to multiplayer. I like doing the other stuff first.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yes, I'd like this idea. Hell, I'd like it if you just started with Mario and had to beat Bowser in an event match to unlock Peach, and then do something with her and so on.

But I'm not someone who likes to jump straight to multiplayer. I like doing the other stuff first.
that'd be overkill, no? I mean, start with just one character. Smash Bros. is single player AND multiplayer. it has to appeal to all players.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't think so, OP.

I'm cool with having a few secrets and a ton of already unlocked characters.
Spend an hour or two unlocking the rest. Have fun with rewards kicking *** in multiplayer. I don't see the need to have to unlock dozens of characters.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I would be okay with having the original 12 characters being the only ones unlocked at first, as long as a large percentage of other characters can be easily unlocked, while having some others still having to put a bit more time/effort into unlocking.

Or they could just handle it like Melee. Unlocking characters in that game was fun.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Personally I'd like the starters being just the very protagonists, and each one from a different franchise.
Also, I would turn the event match into subquests of the story mode and leave more room for the "olympic modes".

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
I say start with the 8 original and work our way up for fun and the possible ways to unlock is classic brawl, story mode, vs, making stages, getting a certain trophy, event matches, and completing special stages but not multi men melee that is frustrating and playing as a certain character like playing as pikachu will unlock pichu

Posted from Smashboards.com App for Android

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Melee imo had the best unlockable system you pretty much had to be every char atleast once. I loveeee unlockables expecially unlockable chars ofc!

Its reasonable to say that they should be more chars to unlock then you start of with.

And if mewtwo returns make it 50 hours vs game time! xD
:phone:

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
2 options unlock them like in the Smash Bros games and DLC.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Yes I am. The unlockable ones just like you play a regular SSB game. Characters that are not in the roster or appear as unlockable could be downloaded.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Most people complain about how easy is to unlock the char by the story mode.
Then: what about making the unlocked char in the story mode NOT unlocked in the other modes until very specific conditions are satisfied?
Not very hard but so specific you have to find secret clues of them in the story mode.
Something like: "If you see something crossing the sun keep the battle going till IT will appear on the matchground" or "Press Down, Up, Down, B, Up Down in on the title screen".

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
plus for advanture mode after beating it if it was a new subspace story. Characters that has no role in it like JigglyPuff and DLC characters could be in hidden doors and join your party after beating them.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Like it already happened in the SSE. I didn't like that really much, honestly.
Even thought I know 50+ is a huge number, I hope they might find a way to fit all them in the story.
I also hope there will be no characters among the DLC contents.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I also hope the story is somewhat Nintendo related besides having mostly Nintendo characters in it.

If characters are unlocked in the story it should be a bit harder. Play a level on a hard difficulty, or beat a level in a specific manner or at a specific time (a la melee luigi), etc.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I also hope the story is somewhat Nintendo related besides having mostly Nintendo characters in it.

If characters are unlocked in the story it should be a bit harder. Play a level on a hard difficulty, or beat a level in a specific manner or at a specific time (a la melee luigi), etc.

I support you idea fully!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@The Real Gamer
I figure since this is probably the last Smash Bros, we might as well spend some time unlocking the characters. I unlocked all of Brawls in a day and about 80% of Melee as well. Plus it'd be sort like a testimony to how smash started off.

@peeup
You'd still get that. With that many characters to unlock, you're bound to stubble across several of them by accident. Plus, this way people won't need to go to websites with spoilers on how to unlock everyone while still giving you something to work towards. It's not like you'd know how to unlock a whole bunch at the same time.
Why would this be the last Smash Bros.? It's one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It sells systems like crazy.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I like OP's idea. However the WiiU version should have all characters unlocked. So this idea should only apply to the 3DS version.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I think it's more fun when you don't know how to unlock characters. You know, like you just do all the random things you can think of, and then BAM the Challenger Approaching screen appears and you start to pee yourself in excitement. Much more fun to be a surprise than if you know what you're doing. At least in my opinion.

Also, you definitely should have to beat them to unlock them. No happy go lucky joining your party like in SSE. Challenger Approaching is a must.
Do you peeup on yourself?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main problem with Brawl's Challenges is that all objectives never change positions. In Kirby Air Ride, whenever you erase the checklist data, the checklist objectives will be rearranged, and placed at different locations, except for the objectives that you can't use any of your Free Checks on (Ex.: Unlock Dragoon Parts A, B, and C).

In other words, if Smash 4 follows Kirby Air Ride's checklist standards, it'll make clearing objectives more interesting.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I like it. Starting with 12 characters also seems fun and exciting. The rush to unlock characters upon its release would be glorious.
The main problem with Brawl's Challenges is that all objectives never change positions. In Kirby Air Ride, whenever you erase the checklist data, the checklist objectives will be rearranged, and placed at different locations, except for the objectives that you can't use any of your Free Checks on (Ex.: Unlock Dragoon Parts A, B, and C).

In other words, if Smash 4 follows Kirby Air Ride's checklist standards, it'll make clearing objectives more interesting.
I like how Brawl's challenges were strategically placed though. Highly anticipated, or unexpected character would be near the side where its less likely to reveal them. Obvious ones like zelda get to go to the middle, more easily revealed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, if the locations are random, that would make players have to think twice about which objective box to use a free check on.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I kind of get the idea.

But for me personally, in the 3DS version, I want to start out with maybe 4 or 5 characters, and have all characters unlocked in a story mode.
On the U version, I'd like it to be just like it usually is (- the Supspace Emissary)

What do you guys think of this?

final lap

Smash Journeyman
only 12 characters sounds fair. I actually once had an idea that the game should start with only 2 characters. (Mario and Mii) xD

Street Fighter originally had only 8 selectable characters. That's even less than 12!

D

Deleted member

I hope some characters won't be unlockable via DLC. I prefer on disc unlockable characters rather than pay money for DLC.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
only 12 characters sounds fair. I actually once had an idea that the game should start with only 2 characters. (Mario and Mii) xD

Street Fighter originally had only 8 selectable characters. That's even less than 12!
Street Fighter originally had only one selectable character (not counting Ken). That's even less than 8!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Or... You have to do really specific actions (the kind you would never guess and never do randomly, like the konami code) to unlock chars. And you get very riddly clues of them in the story mode (a painting on the wall, a senselesse talking of a character in the background, a boss whose unpronuncable name is formed only by letters of the buttons on the pad...).

Not sure if you are serious or not, but had a good laugh. :laugh:
He's serious. Street Fighter TWO has eight selectable charcters. But the original Street Fighter had only Ryu and Ken as the player 1 and player 2 characters: http://images.wikia.com/streetfighter/images/5/50/Pantalla_Street_Fighter_I.jpg

peeup

Smash Lord
Or... You have to do really specific actions (the kind you would never guess and never do randomly, like the konami code) to unlock chars. And you get very riddly clues of them in the story mode (a painting on the wall, a senselesse talking of a character in the background, a boss whose unpronuncable name is formed only by letters of the buttons on the pad...).
I think I like that. Seems a little too cryptic for a game thats intentionally goofy and childish. But I think something like "Clear classic mode with Link to get Toon Link" is too simple.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I still like the idea of having multiple ways to unlock characters. I am playing Sonic Adventure DX and I find it a pain to collect the Emblems to play some of the Game Gear titles I want to enjoy. Especially since one of them requires you to unlock them all and some of the Emblems are near impossible to get.

Top Bottom