• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDAHO Smash Thread

Churro

Smash Journeyman
I have Mario Kart 64 on N64 and Wii, but no, not for tournament.

OK, so it's official, I will have the time to host this with minor interferences from the family, don't worry, they don't bite, they're quite friendly, but for the most part, they'll be out of the house to let me run this smoothly.

Let's talk about setups.

I have a Melee and a Brawl setup (complete with tv), the Brawl setup will remain for Brawl throughout the day, as it will be recording tournament matches via gecko os codes to allow unlimited time, tags, and such, which will be uploaded on youtube the following days. DO NOT FORGET TO RECORD MATCHES, YOU SIMPLY HIT Z AFTER EVERY MATCH, AND SAVE ON THE SD CARD.

Melee setup will always be connected to my computer & out to TV, for the most part, I'll be in charge of it, if I'm in a match, I'll let you record your own matches (I plan to record from match start to finish, that way, I can easily encode and upload without having to split parts, and losing quality) In the case that I leave it up to you, all settings will be set, and all you have to do before you start a match is:

1. name the video, for example Turtlehoop vs Fyr3'
2. click "Capture now"
3. play match
4. click stop once you're done.

In the case that you've played a set before, simply add 2, or any finals set with added initials such as LF, WF, or GF.

If you don't mind quality loss, feel free to record the entire set in one video.

as of now, I have 279 GB, so double check that you aren't recording nothing useful.

Like I said, I'll try to be in charge of it for the most part, if you got any questions, I'm sure we can talk in person.

18167 Harvester Ave.
Nampa, ID

I suggest that you look it up and get directions. I'll give you the most easy direction, it's literally 12 miles from Knuttz' place, when heading out from his subdivision, turn left, towards Ustick, and turn right on Ustick, follow Ustick for 27 minutes until you get to Sage Valley (school) and turn right on Santa Ana, left on subdivision entrance and right on Harvester. that is the most basic way, but you could also hit the freeway towards Nampa and get off at exit 33B, which leads you to Midland Blvd, keep right and follow it until you get to Ustick Rd. turn left, and the rest I listed already. SUPER SIMPLE. you decide which way you want to take.

We can decide on what to eat once we're here if you're up for Little C's/Jack in the Box/Carl's Jr (closest locations aside McD's) oherwise, I will have drinks, chips & salsa.

Any questions, you can call/text my cell: 249-8367

I want at least 5 setups, but any more are more than welcome, I have a total of 4 tvs, so 2 of them could be used for tournament as well.

Turtlehoop, Pokemon Stadium is still a cp, and although I like PS, I agree it should be a CP.

EDIT: AiB tournament page: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=8071

Churro

Smash Journeyman
Nah man, right now, we're not necessarily in the position to be charging admission/house fee, I'm doing this to keep our community alive, but maybe in the future.
For now, chips & salsa are on the house :)

knuttz45

Smash Ace
if everyone gives churro like 2 bucks, it will help with the prize money. Is it $5 for first in each tourney, and nothing after? why not make it a 2 dollar entry fee, with prizes? so basically all tournies are 8 bucks...if you have 12 people in a tourney 24 bucks, 60 percent if that for first is...about 14 bucks...or even a dollar per tourney, then its 7 bucks for the winner...if you have 12 people....

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, how can I KO someone with fox?

I was playing jack a ton today; my waveshines were nearly perfect, L-cancels were good, and I was avoiding a lot of the traps I typically fall into (such as teching into his d-smash). I could easily get him to about 100-130% in about the same time I would be at 30-60%. But I always died first, he just gimps me with u-air. And I lost most of the matches cause of this. How can I efficiently edge guard and kill with fox?
Don't say shine spiking either, while it works some times, it doesn't work all the time.

I'm sick of losing matches I shouldn't lose.

And before anyone can be a troll; inb4 'shine spiking lol'
inb4 someone now intentionally saying 'shine spiking lol' because I inb4'd
etc...

Churro

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sorry if I caused confusion, $5 per tournament, so the most would be $20 for all.
This could change, I actually came back to let you guys know if that's a little too much, we could drop each event by a dollar or two. My main focus was to put a little more pressure on everyone. This is up for grabs, I'm okay with any changes.

So far, it looks like 7 are interested, Knuttz, are you coming? BC? Qraq? Alchemist? Seth? (lolBroceidon)

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice

I was playing jack a ton today; my waveshines were nearly perfect, L-cancels were good, and I was avoiding a lot of the traps I typically fall into (such as teching into his d-smash). I could easily get him to about 100-130% in about the same time I would be at 30-60%. But I always died first, he just gimps me with u-air. And I lost most of the matches cause of this. How can I efficiently edge guard and kill with fox?
Don't say shine spiking either, while it works some times, it doesn't work all the time.

etc...
Don't get hit.

gnosis

Smash Lord

etc...
Watch videos.

Watch how bairs, dsmashes, ftilts, shines, etc. are used to edgeguard. Bair is a ridiculous move, and its usually all you need to edgeguard Falcon. Grab ledge, drop and jump up on stage while bairing, repeat. Or maybe he goes to recover high so you just stay on stage and jump up and bair him. Or maybe you've hit him so many times with bairs when he goes for the stage/a high recovery that he drops low and aims for the edge and you shinespike him (lol). Falcon has very few options while recovering and bair covers most of them, but its good to know when to throw in other stuff so like I said, watch videos of Fox v. Falcon and note how they edgeguard.

As for general edgeguarding tips, keep your eye on your opponent. Being comfortable enough controlling your character to be able to focus on your opponent helps a lot with timing/spacing. Don't be risky if its unnecessary. And realize that not every attack you throw out while edgeguarding needs to be the final blow; a lot of them are just going to be used to reset your opponent and force them to recover again so you can more comfortably hit them with something that's going to kill them (like jabs and counters instead of just fsmash with Marth).

Aside from edgeguarding, if you can waveshine perfectly than you should be able to link them with usmashes, which are still strong enough to overcome even Falcon's falling speed at a reasonable percent. Same goes for uair.

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
Tips to beat Captain Falcon with Fox:

Just Nair. A LOT. It's stupid how one Nair can mean 80%+ into an Upsmash kill.
What gnosis said is also true. Bair'ing is ridiculously good, it's not even fair sometimes.

Also, I'll talk to Dan about going.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Yeah, sorry if I caused confusion, $5 per tournament, so the most would be $20 for all.
This could change, I actually came back to let you guys know if that's a little too much, we could drop each event by a dollar or two. My main focus was to put a little more pressure on everyone. This is up for grabs, I'm okay with any changes.

So far, it looks like 7 are interested, Knuttz, are you coming? BC? Qraq? Alchemist? Seth? (lolBroceidon)
I'm ok with 5 each. :) i think qraq is coming too.

to kill with fox? there is a yellow stick with a c on it...flick it..and you kill with fox. but for real....bair, uair, usmash, dsmash, shine?

Churro

Smash Journeyman
I feel rather useless without that yellow stick XD

So here's attendance so far.

Churro
Peza
Turtlehoop
Zach
Scarykid
Rabidjackal
Fyr3
jgoodwin
Knuttz
QraQ
Mecakoto

???:

Gnosis
BC
Seth
Alchemist
Westinbestin
jjoe

Setups so far:

1 Melee/cube
2 Brawl/Wii

we need 2 more Melee setups, Rabidjackal, bring Melee setup? anyone else that can bring another setup, let me know. We can work with 4, but another can't hurt.

TCow

Smash Rookie
Depending on the ride we get, I can bring a TV. If not, all I have is a cube.

Churro

Smash Journeyman
ahh ThunderCow, I was about to ask if you were Seth changing his name again lol

Turtlehoop, I have 2 extra tvs aside the 2 I've listed in my setups, so that's fine.

Thanks Jack, and sucks WestinBestin isn't coming.

FUN, can't wait. =P

I'm gonna install Tio now.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
I'm off to the family gathering

Churro

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I don't understand your post, are you looking for someone needing a ride?
It'd help if you addressed who that was meant to :)

anyways gonna get 2-3 hours of sleep for Black friday.

I'm seriously just going for the lulz.

because...you gotta do it for the LULZ ;B

craztad

Smash Journeyman
churro, if you end up recording everything in one straight recording I could probably split the vids up for you. Im almost done with an experimental byte pattern detection program that should be able to go through and find when a match starts and when it ends and then automate an avisynth script that i use to re-encode with the correct frame ranges for each match. I really need to just put all my new knowledge into another encoding program that you might actually find useful unlike my first attempt that no one ever downloaded. (or cared about)

Churro

Smash Journeyman
Mecakoto, are you giving Turtlehoop and Zach a ride? still confused =/

Tate, that sounds incredible, but I really wish I had an external hard drive to make all this easier, I feel that with only 2 minutes putting up roughly 225MB used, we will run out of space.

One thing for sure, I'm willing to give this a try.

So I take it you'll be attending?

craztad

Smash Journeyman
Churro, Im not entirely sure whether im coming or not but if i do i will bring one of my external hard drives to use. I got about 250 gb free so if i come you shouldn't have to worry about running out of space.

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
No, Zach and I are coming up ahead of time to probably hang out with some old buddies of ours.

If there's enough TVs and there's an extra, can we set up Street Fighter on it? <_<

Churro

Smash Journeyman
Churro, Im not entirely sure whether im coming or not but if i do i will bring one of my external hard drives to use. I got about 250 gb free so if i come you shouldn't have to worry about running out of space.
It's okay, I think I'll just save on my computer, my only worry is a sound desync or video corruption, however, I welcome you to bring an external hard drive if you want copies of all our footage.

EDIT: I think we could record by tournament sets, then use your program to split the matches, whether 2, 3, or 5(finals)

No, Zach and I are coming up ahead of time to probably hang out with some old buddies of ours.

If there's enough TVs and there's an extra, can we set up Street Fighter on it? <_<
Not sure if you mean come in early to the tourney, but if so, feel free to come, at most, an hour early, I have to host a little late (6pm) because I don't want to disturb my dad while he sleeps, he leaves around 5:30pm to work, so it won't be too bad.

As for Street Fighter IV, I don't mind. I have a PS3 with a copy, but don't really have all characters unlocked for legitimate use.

Churro

Smash Journeyman
alright cool.

Just a quick announcement, I'm going to try and make it fair on everyone, so brackets start from 6:30-7:00pm at most.

acllaim

Smash Cadet
SFIV without Seth isn't gay enough. How dare you not unlock such a sexually ambiguous fighting machine?!

knuttz45

Smash Ace
tate, your coming, because qraq and i are coming. i'll bring a tv and cube too. start that tourney asap...can't stay too long...so bring your hdd tate, and come over after 3 or so too. WE will be there around 6. everyone come so we can start brackets fast!!!! :)

Top Bottom