• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC's Personal Development and Improvement Guide

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hey folks; I don't actually have the time to write this entire thing at the moment, but I wanted to make a thread for this. It's something I wanted to do and I think it's a worthwhile project--for me as a player and writer, and you as a reader.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not by any means talented at this game; where I am is a result of years of playing, traveling, practicing, and luck (with regards to time, location, and resources). I overcame a lot of barriers and wondered why certain players got stuck and never overcame ones that *I* could. We've already established that I'm not talented, so I believe that if I could do it, most players can.

I wanted to write about that and the way you can improve no matter what level you're at or which character you play, but... that's a big project. I don't even know if I'm fully qualified to write it; I'm pretty sure, however, that I'm qualified to write something about the ICs. So I'm distilling what I know (or think I know, anyhow) about all that, and applying it to the Ice Climbers.

This guide is supposed to help IC players of EVERY skill level (except Chu, I guess lol) push themselves farther. I'm going to just split the aspects of their game into pieces, why those parts of their game are important, and ways to train and improve them.

What this guide is NOT:

--A "how to beat X character" guide. We've got a matchup thread already, I have no intention of usurping it. There's a lot of work in there anyhow, and the collective experience is way more than I alone can share. It's stickied, but It's stickied, but I'll link it anyhow: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=112141
--A desyncing guide. Again, we've got one, also stickied, find it here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53912
--A tips, tricks, or tidbits guide. We don't really have one of those yet, and maybe I'll make one and try to catalog all the tiny IC details that escape general notice (and sometimes get you killed), but that is not this guide.

What it IS:

--A guide on improving your game, mentally, technically, and tactically.
--A guide on overcoming personal hurdles, specifically with regards to the ICs.
--A guide for improving the rest of your life.*

*JK. In truth though, if you push any one part of your life to a limit, you can learn many lessons that apply everywhere else. Half the time when I have a problem in my own life I apply lessons I learned in Smash and they work great; like most endeavors, there are universal abilities you can gain from one realm and apply to another. This is true of Smash, and I may wax philosophical about the "deeper meaning" behind various things. I don't want to seem artsy or anything, but I believe this fully.

What will be in it:

--The most important parts (I feel) of the Ice Climber's game and how to solidify them.
--The weaknesses of the ICs and how to avoid them or turn them into advantages.
--The hurdles that ICs face and ways to circumvent them.

I've written a lot about it already, I need to organize it and flesh it out, but I wanted to make the thread and let people know I was working on it.

So... get hyped?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i didn't know you were deep wobbles , hey if you have a glass of water filled half way would you say its half full or have empty or what? i would say it's empty because i used it to the fullest. and i am hyped

outRAGEous

Smash Journeyman
the sweetest fruit is passion. and it is with such vigor that wobbles does all things melee.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
dude that's deep, and without good there would be evil but no one would know what evil was same thing if everything was the same size and this why there is a heaven , }{ell and Earth ,to know what what's enjoyable and what's not and the other reason too

wobbles you should in there the order you learned things or should learn things

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah totally hyped, although the hype i had at the title screen is now crushed cause this is a teaser hehe XD

Vts

Smash Champion
epic so ready for this

like so ready i almost went to AZ just to meet and learn from you wobbles

and i'm being serious cus friend lives their so would stay at his place for like a week lol

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
Ah, good to see the Ice Climber's forum is still alive and well. I've been out for a year and have since returned, and now the formerly notorious Wobbles is a respected player. Impressive gains have been made. ^_^

This guide should be interesting. If possible I'd be interested to see the first draft(s) or contribute if I can.

Keep in mind that writing this guide will aid your writing skills as a whole, which you can possibly add to other parts of your life.

Do your best!

Smash Master
No, now he's notorious again. for his Arizona anger :)

We still love you Wobbles ;p

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Yeah, my new win condition is "I win if I don't get pissed during a match."

By that standard, I lose matches more than ever :( I'm inclined to bail on Genesis just to spare the people around me.

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I start to get frustrated with myself, my mindgames turn from "Bait, predict and destroy" to "Attack attack attack!." As the Ice Climbers, you cannot afford to be predictable.

You must be focused enough to do your well-known moves perfectly, but not so focused that your mistakes anger you. A balance is there, and that's where you want to be.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Yeah, my new win condition is "I win if I don't get pissed during a match."

By that standard, I lose matches more than ever :( I'm inclined to bail on Genesis just to spare the people around me.
Dude Wobbles don't bail on genesis!!! If you need a stress relief I'll bring boxing gloves and you can go to town punching people around lol (hell I'll box you if needed and just turtle up the whole time haha).

PB&J

Smash Hero
wobbles if u go and hozart goes we will have the best icy's ever at a tourny..oh of course im going..

so i know it gets fustrated sometimes but just go it will be the best tourny ever

and for all u icy mains who dont know who hozart is.he is a monster with icy's and if he traveled more he would place top ten at any tourny...search his name

sorry wobbles for the useless facts

good thread cant wait to read it

i might have something to say about getting angry during matches..chaddd taught me to count to 10 slowly in my head and what ever ur thinking about doing dont do it..hope that makes sense

Top Bottom