• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers removed for lack of processing power; 3DS maintains "bloom" PP effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
You guys act like the WiiU is just better than the 3ds in every way.
I chose to buy the 3ds because it's game selection is more interesting to me.
Conveniently, Smash is releasing on the 3ds and I have the opportunity to buy it.
You're saying I should buy the WiiU and new Smash for one additional character? That's taking fandom to the point where it's stupid. Saying I don't deserve Ice Climbers because I want to buy a game on the device that I have is not really any kind of reasoning at all.

Morbi

Scavenger
Conveniently, Smash is releasing on the 3ds and I have the opportunity to buy it.
You're saying I should buy the WiiU and new Smash for one additional character? That's taking fandom to the point where it's stupid. Saying I don't deserve Ice Climbers because I want to buy a game on the device that I have is not really any kind of reasoning at all.
That is not necessarily the reasoning provided. The sentiment establishes that the 3DS cannot include the Ice Climbers based on the technical limitations; therefore, they should be included on the console that can handle them for the players who enjoyed these staples of Smash. It has nothing to do with the notion that you want to buy the game on the 3DS. It has everything to do with the fact that the system you prefer cannot handle Ice Climbers.

That being said, it is not going to happen. Ice Climbers are done-diddly-done for.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Are you kidding me if you arent willing to pay then you really dont want ice climbers that bad. Its nintendo's job to make you wanna buy the wii u version not give customers a free pass for an inferior and cheaper version.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Are you kidding me if you arent willing to pay then you really dont want ice climbers that bad. Its nintendo's job to make you wanna buy the wii u version not give customers a free pass for an inferior and cheaper version.
I don't think anyone wants Ice Climbers that bad.

Okay, that's definitely wrong.
And what is a "free pass for an inferior and cheaper version", anyway.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't think anyone wants Ice Climbers that bad.

Okay, that's definitely wrong.
And what is a "free pass for an inferior and cheaper version", anyway.
The free pass is that you get all the characters and good gameplay for 290 dollars less. And I would gladly spend that much money for ice climbers and I dont main them. If nintendo was a smart company they would have had different characters in both versions and forced a link up between them for each to get them all and Ice climbers would have been wii u exclusive due to technical difficulties.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
3ds = $160
Smash 3ds = $40

WiiU = $200
Smash U = $60

That's a $60 dollar difference, and it's not accounting for XL being $200.
The only advantage 3ds version has is Smash Run. Everything else is worse.
You guys are already paying for a version that's better in almost every way.
I'm not arguing that Ice Climbers shouldn't be part of WiiU version. They should, and so should many other characters.
But it's not like 3ds version is $3 and WiiU version is $3,000, so simmer down.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I don't even understand the topic of this thread.

"There's no ice climbers, but there's bloom."

Those don't even really correlate at all. People are just going to keep complaining about the Ice Climbers, and try to find unrelated things to state about their lack of inclusion. Me personally, I don't care if the Wii U gets them, I didn't care about them in the 3ds version, or Melee/Brawl. But don't compare them coming in to unrelated things like this, it just makes a weak argument.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
3ds = $160
Smash 3ds = $40

WiiU = $200
Smash U = $60

I'm not arguing that Ice Climbers shouldn't be part of WiiU version. They should, and so should many other characters.
I thought wii u's are like 290 (did they get a price reduction?) Also the thing is everyone has a 3ds and not a wii u.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Then you're just alienating the fans whom are playing on the 3DS. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with "Sakurai being a jerk". Throwing them onto the Wii U and letting 3DS fans wallow in their absence is just a lousy move and would only further incense 3DS fans that already feel like the game is playing second fiddle to the technically superior Wii U. Be grateful that they even tried at all and didn't just scrap them anyway thinking that nobody actually like them.
You're wrong. Giving the Wii U version one exclusive character is not alienating the 3DS userbase, the 3DS already has exclusive content, features and advantages over the the Wii U. So by your logic they're "alienating" Wii U users for not giving them Smash Run? The fact that Sakurai has come out and admitted the Ice Climbers were scrapped from the 3DS was because of technical limitations is more than enough to make the avarage people accept them being exclusive to Wii U. Only a vocal minority would cry and complain. From a business standpoint, they should do this, the Wii U version is coming out months later, is more expensive. And is on a struggling console, it's the perfect opportunity to give the Wii U momentum by giving it exclusive content. Give it the Ice Climbers, and Chorus Kids. Because those characters were impossible on the 3DS. Just give the 3DS version whatever it can support, and put the rest on the Wii U version, and if you really want think that is "alienating" the 3DS userbase. Then you are just downright ungrateful, you get the game months earlier, you get it cheaper, and you have the portable advantage of taking it anywhere you go. If that is not enough for you 3DS users, and you would still cry and complain if the Wii U version, the more expensive version that is coming out much later, on a struggling console that needs the momentum, got one exclusive character. Because they were technically not possible on the 3DS. Then you are just ungrateful. You got Smash Run, something that we did not get. That's all fine and dandy, but god forbid if the WE got something that you didn't.

Yeah, because everyone can just decide to have enough money to get a wiiu and buy the game.
Very poor argument, this game is obviously going to sell Wii U's regardless. Has not not been like this with most video game consoles in history? That it gets that one game that is going to gain interest in the system for a lot of consumers? Look what Melee did for GameCube, it's pretty much the only reason people even bought the console. And you're telling me that getting a console because of one flagship game is unacceptable now all of a sudden? If you're not in a position to buy a Wii U, then you have the 3DS version. But for those group of people that wants the complete experience, they will buy the Wii U for Smash. The Wii U is a struggling system and it makes sense. They're not giving handing out coupons, they're selling a product, trying to make profit. It's how business works, they're not going to cater to the status of your wallet.

"I chose to buy the 3ds because it's game selection is more interesting to me."

Exactly, YOU made your own decision regarding your purchase. So, why would you complain if the other version got something that your version did not? It wouldn't be anyone else's fault but yours, if you ended up being unsatisfied. Both of the versions are going to cater to different groups of people, god forbid that the group you did not side with would get one thing you didn't get.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
It's funny how people used to deride us who said that the 3DS version would somehow hold the Wii U version back. We were proven right, it seems.

It's pretty silly to try and keep the roster the same when everything else is different. The Wii U version will be superior, this is already known. Those who will only buy the 3DS version knew this going in. It is like the 8GB Wii U vs the 32GB Wii U. You pay more so you get more.

It's mind boggling that some people, who of course only intend on buying the 3DS version, don't think the Wii U version should get Ice Climbers just because Sakurai said the roster would be the same for both. The man has changed his mind before. Animal Crossing is a peaceful series that should not have a Smash rep, remember?

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It's funny how people used to deride us who said that the 3DS version would somehow hold the Wii U version back. We were proven right, it seems.

It's pretty silly to try and keep the roster the same when everything else is different. The Wii U version will be superior, this is already known. Those who will only buy the 3DS version knew this going in. It is like the 8GB Wii U vs the 32GB Wii U. You pay more so you get more.

It's mind boggling that some people, who of course only intend on buying the 3DS version, don't think the Wii U version should get Ice Climbers just because Sakurai said the roster would be the same for both. The man has changed his mind before. Animal Crossing is a peaceful series that should not have a Smash rep, remember?
There are a ton of people who are either disappointed with the game or who only own a 3ds who are just getting the smash 3ds version. Idk what Nintendo thinks the Wii u version has that is gonna bring people to buy a Wii u and the game cuz it sure isn't stage hazard bosses.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Didn't Sakurai say the 3DS version wouldn't affect the Wii U version? I remember hearing this a lot but I can't find the quote.

Saying both this and the roster will be the same between both versions now means he'll have to go back on one of them, it just depends on which one. Either make 3DS-exclusive players feel that they're being denied a character/characters or have Ice Climber mains who buy the Wii U version angry that the 3DS version denied them their mains.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Didn't Sakurai say the 3DS version wouldn't affect the Wii U version? I remember hearing this a lot but I can't find the quote.

Saying both this and the roster will be the same between both versions now means he'll have to go back on one of them, it just depends on which one. Either make 3DS-exclusive players feel that they're being denied a character/characters or have Ice Climber mains who buy the Wii U version angry that the 3DS version denied them their mains.
Ice Climber mains? Sounds like a somewhat small portion of the fanbase. Still, **** happens, and things dont line up, especially Sakurais words

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
3ds = $160
Smash 3ds = $40

WiiU = $200
Smash U = $60

I thought Wii Us were still $300 though. Am I wrong on this?

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Sakurai said that he wanted both version have the same characters so players are able to play both version without the need of learning a totally different roster. He wanted the cross between the versions to be seamless as far as experience with the characters so players can play one version and able to jump into the other version without any problems.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Sakurai said that he wanted both version have the same characters so players are able to play both version without the need of learning a totally different roster. He wanted the cross between the versions to be seamless as far as experience with the characters so players can play one version and able to jump into the other version without any problems.
Its still a terrible idea. From a marketing and apparently gameplay standpoint since the 3ds system isnt up to snuff.

Khao

Smash Lord
Small portion of the fanbase? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

You know, the portion where tier lists apply at all is pretty freaking small when looking at the fanbase at a whole, so that doesn't really mean anything. =P

Not like it matters anyway, it's not as if the only people who care about the Ice Climbers are Ice Climber mains, that's a super silly thought. I mean, people also play characters other than their main in most cases.

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Its still a terrible idea. From a marketing and apparently gameplay standpoint since the 3ds system isnt up to snuff.
regardless, one character is not going to kill the sells to this game at all. In the end its about making money and that's something that this title will make.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
regardless, one character is not going to kill the sells to this game at all. In the end its about making money and that's something that this title will make.
For 3ds yeah not so much for wii u. And im saying there should be several characters in the wii u version that are timed exclusives to help the wii u sales. (there wont be but there should be if nintendo had a brain.) The 3ds version is going to out sell the wii u version by alot...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Didn't they include Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit as clones because they had finished the original roster and had very little free time, so they made clones to pack into the game at little expense? Don't quote me on that; I'm an idiot.
But I think making IC return would require a lot more effort in development than remasking those three.
Even if you want to go down that route. Then Alph (second Pikmin rep) should have been higher priority than FE 4th and KI 3rd.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Who cares, they are paying less than the wii u owners, they dont deserve the full experience if they arent willing to pay. They need the wii u version to sell, nintendo will need more than just mario kart to save the wii u. Also if the 3ds fans are really ice climber fans they would buy the wii u version, otherwise they have no right to complain. Im willing to pay the money for a better product, if everyone else wants a better product they should be willing to pay as well.

The amount of money Nintendo is going to miss out on by not making the wii u version really stand out is going to be insane, they are so bad at making business decisions if there is truly nothing that the consumer really wants on the wii u version :facepalm: The only things I can think of that will sell it are Characters and maybe lagless online/tons of online options.
I'm sorry, my friend, but starting off your argument with "who cares" is very, very poor rhetoric. I'm honestly insulted that you'd suggest 3DS owners "don't deserve" the product they have been intently promised by the manufacturer just because their respective system doesn't support certain aspects of the product as designed by the manufacturer.

As well as that, it's not the consumer that determines the price. Nintendo decides all of that and supplies it to the retailers to stock it and sell it to the public. It's not a matter of "they're not willing to pay for it", it's a matter of "this is the price as advertised that we need to pay". I respect your opinions and everything, and fair play to you for standing up for your own points at that, but your argument is severely biased and potentially inflammatory.

You're wrong. Giving the Wii U version one exclusive character is not alienating the 3DS userbase, the 3DS already has exclusive content, features and advantages over the the Wii U. So by your logic they're "alienating" Wii U users for not giving them Smash Run? The fact that Sakurai has come out and admitted the Ice Climbers were scrapped from the 3DS was because of technical limitations is more than enough to make the avarage people accept them being exclusive to Wii U. Only a vocal minority would cry and complain. From a business standpoint, they should do this, the Wii U version is coming out months later, is more expensive. And is on a struggling console, it's the perfect opportunity to give the Wii U momentum by giving it exclusive content. Give it the Ice Climbers, and Chorus Kids. Because those characters were impossible on the 3DS. Just give the 3DS version whatever it can support, and put the rest on the Wii U version, and if you really want think that is "alienating" the 3DS userbase. Then you are just downright ungrateful, you get the game months earlier, you get it cheaper, and you have the portable advantage of taking it anywhere you go. If that is not enough for you 3DS users, and you would still cry and complain if the Wii U version, the more expensive version that is coming out much later, on a struggling console that needs the momentum, got one exclusive character. Because they were technically not possible on the 3DS. Then you are just ungrateful. You got Smash Run, something that we did not get. That's all fine and dandy, but god forbid if the WE got something that you didn't.
I'm actually going to buy both versions. I've always been committed to buying both versions. I'll support Sakurai and Nintendo whatever innately questionable decisions they may choose to make. Maybe it would be a good idea not to make base presumptions before tearing into somebody's argument, okay?

I'm not an Ice Climbers fan by any stretch of the imagination, and while it's tragic to see them gone, I understand why Sakurai did it. He's dedicated to creating a fair and balanced roster and, for better or for worse, including alternate characters in each version will disrupt that balance. If he wants to add in extra characters for the Wii U version, more power to him - as I said, I'll be getting both versions anyway, so it's all just so much peaches and cream for me! But he doesn't want to do that and we have to accept that. Getting all fired up and suggesting that Sakurai is somehow betraying us for not giving us a character - that, I may add, he expressly told us well in advance would more than likely not make the cut - is a bit silly. It isn't nice and it isn't fun, but it's fair. The modes and hardware may differ somewhat from version to version, but the core elements - the gameplay and the roster - is fundamentally the same, and I'm sorry, but maintaining that "well it's not fair because we shouldn't have to suffer because of them" is just going to drive a deeper divide into an already volatile fanbase over a relatively small and trivial issue.

This whole argument is just ugly and rotten to the core, and equally so on both sides, from my standing: we're a community, we all like Smash for our own reasons, and yet we're all playing together, we're all friends and colleagues. Trying to create some sort of schism between "us" and "them" because the 3DS and Wii U versions are somehow intrinsically different is just counter-intuitive and absurd - adding different choices to each roster is only going to upset even more people and cause even more controversy that, quite frankly, I believe Sakurai just wanted to avoid. He cut the Ice Climbers because it was better than giving us a second-rate, shoddy knock-off of a character just because it'd appease the fans. I lost two of my mains from the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 and without any cogent explanation - nobody is being specifically targeted here anymore than anybody else, these things just happen. We should all be big and strong enough to just accept it and, if we really want to do something about it, come together and actually make our voices heard. Sitting here and arguing amongst ourselves achieves absolutely nothing and will only serve to alienate all of us even further.

I'm leaving it at that, because this is not the thread for this sort of a thing, and it's not fair to get the entire thread caught up in these inane roundabout arguments. Feel free to PM me if you feel like debating this further, and I'm always willing and able to discuss such matter amongst like-minded and good-natured types.

Last edited:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Before I read this thread I simply thought ICs were dropped because they weren't popular enough to warrant inclusion, having one game outside of Smash and all...

I personally wouldn't especially care if they were included in the Wii U version and not 3DS. Yeah, it's a shame for any 3DS players who happen to like them, but it's not like console-exclusive characters are a particularly new concept (see: Soul Calibur II).

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
For 3ds yeah not so much for wii u. And im saying there should be several characters in the wii u version that are timed exclusives to help the wii u sales. (there wont be but there should be if nintendo had a brain.) The 3ds version is going to out sell the wii u version by alot...

I know what your saying and time exclusive sounds like a good idea but it won't work for them much when people are still going to buy the console and the game regardless of its timed exclusive or not. Smash Brothers has become a brand name, its name alone sales the game and the Wii U will sell well, Mario Kart 8 alone pushed Wii U console sales up and the same will happen for the Wii U version, I'm not saying its the savior of the console but best believe its going to push consoles and sell millions and that's not counting Black Friday and After Christmas holiday. If this game had no hype or have been showing disappointment with its direct and if the feedback from players were extremely bad throughout the fan, then I can see Nintendo having to do something like timed exclusives or any other marketing campaign in order to put faith back into the consumers to get them to by the Wii U version. People are now wanting to see me Wii U POTD's because the hype is there and they are hungry.

At this point the consumers are sold on smash brothers and the reviews about the 3DS alone sealed the deal. Hell I would love some DLC or time exclusive characters but we have what we have and this game will do fine.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Even without chain grabbing, due to the way they work as separate characters I bet they'd still have crazy combos...I mean Mario can dthrow + x2utilt and regrab someone who falls fast, can you imagine those little jerks having some crazy combos still? I guess it's possible.

Glad they are gone, the only reason 95% of people who played them did was for those boring as **** chain grabs.

Hope they are gone for good or changed to prevent that crap again.

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
No matter what anybody says regarding Ice Climbers, I'm pretty confident they were cut for more reasons than merely CPU limitations on the 3DS. Let's consider:

* Haven't had a game of any sort since their debut - Not a huge factor admittedly, seeing as Ness, Sheik, and quite a few newcomers have also only featured in a single game, but it is admittedly something to consider among the other points.

* Not really representative of the NES - Looking at the other characters chosen as retro reps, Mr. Game & Watch is the great grandfather of Nintendo gaming, Pit has been highly requested since the 64 days and Kid Icarus was pretty much Metroid's baby brother before it initially died out. R.O.B. is probably the most important straw figure in gaming history since he made parents actually BUY the NES despite being a nonfunctional piece of ****, and Duck Hunt was bundled with the system at one stage so pretty much everybody who had an NES knows who he is. The Ice Climbers have comparatively little significance, and the other characters simply represent Nintendo's retro era better than they did, which is partly why I think Duck Hunt became a thing - even a lot of people who weren't in that generation know and hate the dog, and they basically served as a less intensive replacement to Popo+Nana by having the ducks essentially be extensions to your attacks instead of a completely new AI partner. Here's hoping both return in Smash 5 regardless!

* Balance issues - Do I seriously need to go over this? They managed to receive a plethora of stupid chaingrab techniques in 2 completely different game engines, and a huge portion of their competitive viability in both games centers around an unintended mechanic which the developers clearly wanted to remove in Sm4sh. They'd have to essentially be completely rebuilt from the ground up to try and avoid such imbalances in the system while still remaining competitive to some degree (and I don't mean just give them the Bowser treatment and change a few moves here and there, I mean they'd have to pretty much be built as if they were a completely new character), and given the deadlines they already missed before, having to work on such a labour intensive character from the ground up would undoubtedly have delayed the game longer, even if CPU limitations hadn't been a factor. Heck I'm fairly certain I remember Sakurai said the only way they could work on the 3DS was by tagging 1 IC out for the other (the same way he said Dixie Kong was planned to work in Brawl), and that would pretty much take out all of the uniqueness the character had to begin with.

In spite of all of this though, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of the character being Wii U exclusive. Don't get me wrong it's certainly not an incentive to buy the game by any means. The Ice Climbers are pretty much the most neglected character in the series by casual players, but it would be nice to give those investing in the more expensive product a nice little gift in the form of a character who, in all fairness, would've been in the game anyways had it not been for programming difficulties (and potentially all of the above too). But this is all just my 2 cents.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People take the "Sakurai changes his mind" argument to illogical extremes sometimes...

The game is advertised as having both versions with the same character roster. If it ended up being otherwise because Sakurai changed his mind mid-development, it would be fooling the costumer. False advertising is unethical.

If Ice Climbers had to be cut to keep the same roster on both versions, so be it. That is to ensure quality, even though it's at the expense of quantity. The 3DS game runs consistently at 60 fps, which is an impressive feat. If the Ice Climbers being in the game put a stain in the game's quality due to hardware issues, they'd be better out of the game.

In software development, quality is often used to describe products that meet the objectives the project aims to meet. If a game having both versions sharing the same character cast was planned from the beginning, the development team has no choice but to see it met at the end. If characters are to be cut to meet those objectives, so be it.

Fact: they tried to put them in the game. However, as professionals, they're bound to contracts with huge companies. One of the problems in professional game development is time or the lack of thereof. More often than not, ideas are dropped mid-development because the team doesn't have time to implement everything. This leads to prioritizing tasks.

Fans disappointed at characters being cut should just accept reality as it is: not always pleasant and sometimes a real *****. Don't think it's easy for the developers to drop ideas mid-development because of time constraints.

I can understand being bummed with cut characters, as I am as well, but making ignorant statements is something I cannot be okay with. Read up online, for you have the entire Internet at your disposal. Learn something, read developer interviews and maybe you'll understand better that things aren't as simple as they seem. Far from it. At this day and age, people have no excuse to be ignorant.

I know from personal experience in programming that developing can be a real pain when you're met with technical issue, bugs and such crap. I repeat: it's far from simple.

Last edited:

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
Like said before. Ice Climber not working properly is most likely due to CPU limitation (an added AI to manage (much more complex than Luma) and also to animate (animating character is mostly done on CPU)) but Bloom effect is stricly a GPU thing so removing bloom wouldn't free ressources for the ice climber.

On the other side, new 3DS with its improved CPU (not GPU) should be able to handle the ice climber. But I can't imagine Nintendo would dare to add IC as DLC for the New 3DS only.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Ill say this again, add Ice climbers to the wii u version since you had them RUNNING on the system and you cant do anything about the 3ds version. Dont **** on their fans for your arbitrary rule thanks to an inferior version.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Ill say this again, add Ice climbers to the wii u version since you had them RUNNING on the system and you cant do anything about the 3ds version. Dont **** on their fans for your arbitrary rule thanks to an inferior version.
And the thing is too, you ask 3DS fans of the situation and they'll just shrug it off and say "I don't care about them. Smash 2 go> Ice climbers LAWL."
So they don't even want Ice Climbers, yet they don't want anyone else to have them either.
And you know, you can bring up how the Icies aren't relevant and whatnot, but it's not about that. Sure, I personally am a big fan of the Ice Climbers franchise, but its more the PRINCIPLE of the character and the reason they were cut that makes the situation upsetting. It could have been anyone; Olimar, Zelda/Shiek (unsplit), Zero Suit (like how Sakurai teased), and it will still have had the same amout of backlash.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
The fact that he flat out said he had them running on the Wii U is enough to belive they were fully developed and complete. Cutting them now will just result in a waste of development time and resources, i really fail to see how making them Wii U exclusive would "cause a disrupt in the balance between the two versions." When Sakurai has specifically stated he considers both versions as seperate installments to the series. So why is is this "balance" so important to the point that it results in a character getting cut in both "installments"? If the two versions had cross play, then i would completely understand and accept the Ice Climbers being cut. But the fact that there is no cross play just makes this decision unjustified and ridiculous. The two versions are completely seperate entities and Sakurai PROMISED that the 3DS version would not affect the Wii U version. He has now broken that promise, and i all see from the people here is damage control for Sakurai's unjustified decisions. Making excuses that really, aren't excuses at all. Why would there even be a worry about being unfair to 3DS users, when the truth is that the majority would not care if the Wii U version got the Ice Climbers. It's exactly like saying the consumers who bought MVC3 got betrayed because UMV3 came out with more content. It's the technically more superiour version, just like how the Wii U version of Smash is to 3DS.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I thought wii u's are like 290 (did they get a price reduction?) Also the thing is everyone has a 3ds and not a wii u.
I don't know about where you guys are, but they're $200 here. And Hawaii is supposed to have terrible consumer economy (or whatever it's called).

Very poor argument, this game is obviously going to sell Wii U's regardless. Has not not been like this with most video game consoles in history? That it gets that one game that is going to gain interest in the system for a lot of consumers? Look what Melee did for GameCube, it's pretty much the only reason people even bought the console. And you're telling me that getting a console because of one flagship game is unacceptable now all of a sudden? If you're not in a position to buy a Wii U, then you have the 3DS version. But for those group of people that wants the complete experience, they will buy the Wii U for Smash. The Wii U is a struggling system and it makes sense. They're not giving handing out coupons, they're selling a product, trying to make profit. It's how business works, they're not going to cater to the status of your wallet.

"I chose to buy the 3ds because it's game selection is more interesting to me."

Exactly, YOU made your own decision regarding your purchase. So, why would you complain if the other version got something that your version did not? It wouldn't be anyone else's fault but yours, if you ended up being unsatisfied. Both of the versions are going to cater to different groups of people, god forbid that the group you did not side with would get one thing you didn't get.
So you're basically saying that the WiiU is guaranteed to have less content than the inferior 3ds version?
Are you daft? The WiiU version will have multitudes of content over the 3ds version.

This is terrible. Nobody would be concerned about learning a "totally different roster" if it has a few more characters. I really don't think anyone ever would have a problem with that. Sakurai, c'mon.

This. The WiiU version should get at least five more characters to insure its sales.
It can support it and it deserves it.

Even if you want to go down that route. Then Alph (second Pikmin rep) should have been higher priority than FE 4th and KI 3rd.
I don't think it's legal to disagree with this statement. Especially with the utter lack of rock pikmin in the game.

Even without chain grabbing, due to the way they work as separate characters I bet they'd still have crazy combos...I mean Mario can dthrow + x2utilt and regrab someone who falls fast, can you imagine those little jerks having some crazy combos still? I guess it's possible.

Glad they are gone, the only reason 95% of people who played them did was for those boring as **** chain grabs.

Hope they are gone for good or changed to prevent that crap again.
Grabs were reworked in Smash 4 to prevent chaingrabbing. And with the discovery of vectoring (have they changed the name yet?), I'm pretty sure it's relatively easy to escape Mario dthrow combos. Haven't tested that, though.

And the thing is too, you ask 3DS fans of the situation and they'll just shrug it off and say "I don't care about them. Smash 2 go> Ice climbers LAWL."
So they don't even want Ice Climbers, yet they don't want anyone else to have them either.
And you know, you can bring up how the Icies aren't relevant and whatnot, but it's not about that. Sure, I personally am a big fan of the Ice Climbers franchise, but its more the PRINCIPLE of the character and the reason they were cut that makes the situation upsetting. It could have been anyone; Olimar, Zelda/Shiek (unsplit), Zero Suit (like how Sakurai teased), and it will still have had the same amout of backlash.
I think the great majority of 3ds owners would disagree with you and say that they would love to have Ice Climbers, and if 3ds owners had the opportunity to give WiiU version Ice Climbers, I think they would take it. I haven't heard a single argument saying that the WiiU version shouldn't have them outside of "chain grabz r gros".

Ice Climbers being relevant shouldn't matter. They were put in Smash to represent their age of gaming, and it's stupid to cut their entire fanbase off just to satisfy both versions. Sakurai shouldn't have said that both rosters would be the same, I'd much rather feel at a loss with the 3ds version and be ecstatic when I buy the WiiU version.

Luke4496

Smash Rookie
To all those saying that the Wii U should get an exclusive character because it's $60, please think. The Wii U version is going to have many more stages and modes that will more than make up the $20 difference. Also the Ice Climbers are broken so I'm fairly certain that's a big reason why they were cut.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I don't know about where you guys are, but they're $200 here. And Hawaii is supposed to have terrible consumer economy (or whatever it's called).

So you're basically saying that the WiiU is guaranteed to have less content than the inferior 3ds version?
Are you daft? The WiiU version will have multitudes of content over the 3ds version.

This is terrible. Nobody would be concerned about learning a "totally different roster" if it has a few more characters. I really don't think anyone ever would have a problem with that. Sakurai, c'mon.

This. The WiiU version should get at least five more characters to insure its sales.
It can support it and it deserves it.

I don't think it's legal to disagree with this statement. Especially with the utter lack of rock pikmin in the game.

Grabs were reworked in Smash 4 to prevent chaingrabbing. And with the discovery of vectoring (have they changed the name yet?), I'm pretty sure it's relatively easy to escape Mario dthrow combos. Haven't tested that, though.

I think the great majority of 3ds owners would disagree with you and say that they would love to have Ice Climbers, and if 3ds owners had the opportunity to give WiiU version Ice Climbers, I think they would take it. I haven't heard a single argument saying that the WiiU version shouldn't have them outside of "chain grabz r gros".

Ice Climbers being relevant shouldn't matter. They were put in Smash to represent their age of gaming, and it's stupid to cut their entire fanbase off just to satisfy both versions. Sakurai shouldn't have said that both rosters would be the same, I'd much rather feel at a loss with the 3ds version and be ecstatic when I buy the WiiU version.
Guess we haven't been to the same places because "4 equality" is all I've heard. To be honest, all I've heard from them is "portibul Smush Brahs> anything negative brought up in the reviews". I should stop reading Youtube comments...

And I mean, in case Nintendo hasn't noticed, their console is dying, and they're having their SYSTEM SELLER being restricted to the limitations of a vastly underpowered handheld (by comparison at least). Yes, I know it's just one character, but it's the primest example of limitations holding the game back.
I think the best solution would be for DLC to take effect and have Ice Climbers come back first in line. Figure out a way to make them work, even if we just have SoPo this time. If not now, take a few months, I don't care. Just bring them back.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Oh boy, a Smash 3DS vs. Smash U argument... :glare:
May I remind everyone that Smash U probably will have more content than Smash U (except more characters), so no need for the 'Smash U costs more so we should get more characters.' argument.
Also, if Sakurai does give Smash U Ice Climbers, he should at least give Smash 3DS an exclusive character or just give Smash 3DS one Ice Climber.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
To all those saying that the Wii U should get an exclusive character because it's $60, please think. The Wii U version is going to have many more stages and modes that will more than make up the $20 difference. Also the Ice Climbers are broken so I'm fairly certain that's a big reason why they were cut.
Its more than 60 dollars for most its 350 for most. They WILL need exclusive characters to make people spend that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom