• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Help

cjugs

Smash Ace
i have been blowing them off for awhile but i am going to have to take them serious now i am tired of getting 0 to death by the chain grabs any advice i need details what DE syncs them how can i avoid grabs (which is all they have) i need to isolate why it isn't a bad match up for link.

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
Up B is pretty good at seperating them at higher percents, then you can pretty much just go for nana from there. I recommend just careful camping to get around their grabs and to build up damage before seperating them.

Skler

Smash Master
Jump around on platforms while spamming projectiles. Their aerials are pretty bad, so if they chase you there's a good chance to can kill Nana at the very least. Sopo does have a CG on Link until about 80, though. Platform hopping is the way to win vs ICs.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
i have been blowing them off for awhile but i am going to have to take them serious now i am tired of getting 0 to death by the chain grabs any advice i need details what DE syncs them how can i avoid grabs (which is all they have) i need to isolate why it isn't a bad match up for link.
LOL grabs is not all the icees have. They could probably handle this matchup with just jab, dsmash, uair and iceblocks.

Running away works. Legan was doing pretty good against me by doing nothing but running away and occasionally throwing things. It was fun.

huMps

Smash Ace
Platforms, run, and have a bomb. Pretty much all defensive, but if you ever do dare to attack make sure your spacing is perfect. Offensively I keep pretty much to fairs and projectiles. Also it's hard to win this match up in under 8 minutes with out killing out of your combos or bringing your edge guarding A game.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
What they said. Just remember that once u separate them nana wont be shielding unless she is next to popo. So u can go out of your way to target and chase her and even spam Up B to further the distance between the two icies. As long as u hit nana away, popo wont be able to punish u (chain throw) very well without the other one by his side.

cjugs

Smash Ace
sopo gets one grab cg and taught about how good he is man CG requires so much skill.
Although i have noticed that if i Di hard away he hasn't been about he re grab me so we will c how that goes

cjugs

Smash Ace
I think he can CG link sheik and piki til ridiculous percents and he can start at zero but i think he can get heavy's and he starts them at later %s makes sence because when u kill nana u are normally at high percent. Ic should only be given 2 stocks :)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I coulda sworn sopo could only CG Link, Pika and Sheik (and Link lasts the longest out of all of them).
I don't think this is true. Sheik is the longest lasting for sure.

Hard DI away gets out of MY sopo chaingrab around 30-40. I havent talked about it to Fly and wobbles but a couple other IC mains agreed with me.

I think if I dashgrab instead of JC I can make it last longer.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Sopo can CG falcon 0-160 but its really hard.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Skler: Are you sure the cg works so long? I've always felt like Link can escape way before Sheik can. Pikachu can jump out at about mid 40s.

LOL grabs is not all the icees have. They could probably handle this matchup with just jab, dsmash, uair and iceblocks.

Running away works. Legan was doing pretty good against me by doing nothing but running away and occasionally throwing things. It was fun.
Unfortunately this really isn't true, it's not an easy match-up... :/ But you're right that they have more than just grabs.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Skler: Are you sure the cg works so long? I've always felt like Link can escape way before Sheik can. Pikachu can jump out at about mid 40s.

Unfortunately this really isn't true, it's not an easy match-up... :/ But you're right that they have more than just grabs.
Yeah i was exaggerating because i hate IC lol.
But i felt that grabs were there strongest suit anyway. idk peef remind me next time we play and we will mess with it.

Skler

Smash Master
Link's heavier than Sheik and Pika, so he should get CGed longer than them. He's the 4th heaviest in the game or something like that. He tends to get CGed forever by the characters who can do it on him (Sheik can do it until almost 120).

Maybe with specific DI Link can get out at 60 or 70, but then he's just setting himself up for a usmash or other shenanigans (same reason DIing Sheik's to escape early is dangerous unless there's a platform).

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Yeah, I am now convinced that Sopo chaingrab is far overrated on Link.

Link gets out at 40 or so always because he is not nearly as fast of a faller as sheik. DI away at 40+ is not possible for me with any consistency, and I'm fine at the dthrow chaingrab.

Link also can get out of dthrow dair. Against climbers, Link getting grabbed really isnt nearly as bad for him as it is for most characters. Id rather have link hanging on the ledge trying to get off than in a grab at 70%

Skler

Smash Master
Yeah, I am now convinced that Sopo chaingrab is far overrated on Link.

Link gets out at 40 or so always because he is not nearly as fast of a faller as sheik. DI away at 40+ is not possible for me with any consistency, and I'm fine at the dthrow chaingrab.

Link also can get out of dthrow dair. Against climbers, Link getting grabbed really isnt nearly as bad for him as it is for most characters. Id rather have link hanging on the ledge trying to get off than in a grab at 70%
Link falls slower than Sheik? I thought they were almost exactly the same speed. If I knew where the m2k data sheet was I'd look it up.

Dthrow dair is really easy to get out of with every character, just smash DI in a random direction on the dair and they're playing a guessing game. Unless you're bowser, his fat *** gets regrabbed no matter what.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Link falls slower than Sheik? I thought they were almost exactly the same speed. If I knew where the m2k data sheet was I'd look it up.

Dthrow dair is really easy to get out of with every character, just smash DI in a random direction on the dair and they're playing a guessing game. Unless you're bowser, his fat *** gets regrabbed no matter what.
Thats...not exactly true either. Falcon SDI in any direction other than literally straight up will get regrabbed on dthrow dair and dthrow reverse dair.

Try it yourself Skler, Link is out with DI away at 40.

Skler

Smash Master
Why Falcon? I know he's pretty big, but that just seems weird since his hurtbox is about the same size as Link's. Fall speed + lack of weight?

Nobody up at my school can CG. I'll ask Pine to do it when he comes up again.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
like everyone said, stay out platform stages cuz u never wanna be horizontal with the climbers. their ground game is amazing with dsynced attacks n CG, but their aerial game is pathetically weak n they lack range, so punish them with bombs and rangs. n keep a rang constantly out will help u get outta grabs wen it returns

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
First thing first, do not get grabbed. Thats the hard part. Second is keeping them apart. Bomb's work and so does the downsmash.

Icies are more mind games then technical. First if your beating down the secondary then its only natural the primary try to show up to save the day. All you have to know is that as long as your juggling one the other is easy to deal with since he only really has one option and that is to go after you. If he starts spamming you can just ignore it and continue beating down his partner.

Second are the bombs and boomerang. If your not spamming your not playing Link correctly. Always spam bommer and bomb. As long as your holding onto a bomb the amount of time they can CG you is less since its going to explode while your holding it or while they are hiting you. Also while you still holding onto the bomb you can at least throw the boomer.

Third is their wave dashing. Do not use any moves with a long lag time. They can wave dash back into and grab you. Your up+B turns into a your ****ed. Your forward smash would be lucky to get off the first one without them trying to grab you if you decid not to use the second swing. This is probably one of the only fights where the sex kick is not your friend. They can tech hit your kick while the other icy hits you through it so spacing is almost mandatory.

Edit* Platforms or no, its the same thing. Their horizontal game is just their wave dashing. Just know that they can wave dash from one end of the map to the next. There and space accordingly. They can really do much else. They are basically waiting for you to do a move with lag in it and wave dash in to hit you. Bombs, and boomer, and just keep them apart. Time your attacks.

Now majority of what I said seems technical which it is. Just remember though all of that should be second nature if your playing Link. Just take your time and seperate them. Its going to happen. The second you get a hit off you follow it up, do not go after the primary always go after the secondary. If you end up hitting both you keep going for the secondary, because your limiting the options of the other player. While your beating down on his partner he has only one choice and that is to go after you. His options for attack limited and range is also limited.

There you go your icy killer strat.

Top Bottom