• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Ice Climbers Chant discovered in Smash 3DS?

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
Sigh....yeah, that is definitely the women saying "Nana" and the men saying "Popo"......:popo:

I don't know if that means much for their future, but it MIGHT mean that the data mining/scrubbing through the game's files has begun?

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
Villager makes that exact sound when he jumps.. and it sounds like they are saying "Murabito" to me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Villager makes that exact sound when he jumps.. and it sounds like they are saying "Murabito" to me.
It's not Murabito, it sounds completely different. I've already heard his chant.

I'm not trying to start any rumours, just so people know. I'm not saying this means they will be DLC or anything. It's just an interesting find, and proves that they had planned to include Ice Climbers.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
It's not Murabito, it sounds completely different. I've already heard his chant.

I'm not trying to start any rumours, just so people know. I'm not saying this means they will be DLC or anything. It's just an interesting find, and proves that they had planned to include Ice Climbers.
Thats still villagers jumping sound. Going through source files is tricky, and even if they did it wouldnt have battle sounds. I want ice climbers back too...but i dont think its happening.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
This kind of thing is the reason I wish the 3DS version didn't exist. Not that I haven't obsessively watched videos/streams and won't be getting the game ASAP that day.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
This kind of thing is the reason I wish the 3DS version didn't exist. Not that I haven't obsessively watched videos/streams and won't be getting the game ASAP that day.
Im completely fine with 3ds version..but its dumb they absolutely HAVE to have the same roster. I would be fine with the current roster for 3ds and like 10 more characters on wii u. And im sure most if not all people would not complain.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thats still villagers jumping sound. Going through source files is tricky, and even if they did it wouldnt have battle sounds. I want ice climbers back too...but i dont think its happening.
Again, I'm not posting this because I think they are coming back, it's just an interesting find, akin to the morse code Vaanrose found in the game.

It's definitely a chant for Ice Climbers though. It could be a simple bug that triggers it when another character is being played that caused the chant to play, and maybe that character is Villager. But they aren't chanting "Murabito". I wouldn't mix up "Mu-ra" with "Na-na", or "Bi-to" with "Po-po". They sound distinctly different.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
Again, I'm not posting this because I think they are coming back, it's just an interesting find, akin to the morse code Vaanrose found in the game.

It's definitely a chant for Ice Climbers though. It could be a simple bug that triggers it when another character is being played that caused the chant to play, and maybe that character is Villager. But they aren't chanting "Murabito". I wouldn't mix up "Mu-ra" with "Na-na", or "Bi-to" with "Po-po". They sound distinctly different.
I listened with my headphones and I do hear it.. Is a shame they didnt use any moves like neutral b to solidify it. Very interesting.
They for sure are not back in base game but DLC is always a hope. It would just seem dumb they didnt try harder and get them in the base game.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman

Not to mention, the women are saying the "Nana" portion, while the men are saying the "Popo" portion. Makes sense since it's the women saying the female and the men saying the male Ice Climber.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not to mention, the women are saying the "Nana" portion, while the men are saying the "Popo" portion. Makes sense since it's the women saying the female and the men saying the male Ice Climber.
I can't remember myself, but was their chant like that in Melee and Brawl?

If so, then I think that closes the book on it. It's definitely intended for the Ice Climbers. I'd love to know exactly how this chant is triggered though, as it sounds like it's in an actual match.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
I can't remember myself, but was their chant like that in Melee and Brawl?

If so, then I think that closes the book on it. It's definitely intended for the Ice Climbers. I'd love to know exactly how this chant is triggered though, as it sounds like it's in an actual match.
Apparently, in melee they just chanted, "Ice Climbers!" But in Brawl, they do it the same way it's done here:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I don't think there's any way that what I'm hearing is anything other than "Nana! Popo!". :p It's definitely interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Guys, i have the demo, the chants in the game, at least listening with the speaker, are reeeeeeeallly bad, they sound like they were compressed a lot, I can hear something that sound like Nana when they cheer for the villager

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
So why do we get to hear it but not see it? The chant just happens for no reason? Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah no.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Not surprising. You're surprised that assets for a character prepared for the roster and then shortly after cut for technical reasons exists? It's not like there aren't assets for characters planned/prepared for previous games in their data.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not surprised, I just think it's neat that it's found. Also, I posted the thread in case anyone had more info.

J1O

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dank808
3DS FC
2294-4874-7217
Pretty cool find. Although, still wish Nana and Popo were separate characters in the 3DS version and then together in Wii U but, i'm still pretty excited about the final roster!

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
They do that chant regardless of who you're fighting against, so it's Murabito's default chant and not a glitch most likely. I was able to hear it both against Dr. Mario and against ROB, DHD, and Greninja.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

No, but it's actually entirely possible to mix up "Kuu-pa!" with "Na-na!" and "Ju-nior!" with "Po-po!"

Hard to tell what's going on exactly in this instance since they neglected to give us video footage this time around, but there was another topic on this subject earlier and it turned out... (See 2:38 in the below video)
...that the cheer was Bowser Junior's cheer. The women are shouting "Kuu-pa!" while the guys are shouting "Ju-nior!"

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
No, but it's actually entirely possible to mix up "Kuu-pa!" with "Na-na!" and "Ju-nior!" with "Po-po!"

Hard to tell what's going on exactly in this instance since they neglected to give us video footage this time around, but there was another topic on this subject earlier and it turned out... (See 2:38 in the below video)
...that the cheer was Bowser Junior's cheer. The women are shouting "Kuu-pa!" while the guys are shouting "Ju-nior!"
That didnt sound like Koopa Junior, that sounded like Murabito to me. But is is hard to tell with thet shaky cam recording

Last edited:

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
They could have made Popo a seperate character and every time he used a special move Nana was "summoned" similar to Zelda's "Phantom Slash" attack... just an option other than fully removing them!

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
People will most likely find the sprites if so. After all they left characters like Mewtwo, Toon Zelda and Dixie\Diddy tag team in brawl files.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's obviously saying "Nana! Popo!".
I don't see how people are confusing it for Murabito or Koopa Jr. Also, why would it be Koopa Jr. if Villager was winning, dying 0 times while KOing Jr. 2 times?
Why would "Murabito" be chanted by both female and male if it's not two words/names?

Just listening to it, though, makes it obvious to the ears that it's "Nana! Popo!"

I would also, however, like to compare it to the Murabito chant, if only I knew where I could listen to it....

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I think Ice Climber were removed in last day of developtment...
Seriusly there trying to say 'Ko-pa' and 'Ju-nior'.
But all I hear is "POPO" and "NANA".
Guys say Popo
Girls say Nana
Just like brawl and here. I gonna say but...
Sakurai say that the Ice Climber RUN in the Wii U version but not 3DS...
Is they cut for that reason, I gonna feel really pissed...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Ice Climber were removed in last day of developtment...
Seriusly there trying to say 'Ko-pa' and 'Ju-nior'.
But all I hear is "POPO" and "NANA".
Guys say Popo
Girls say Nana
Just like brawl and here. I gonna say but...
Sakurai say that the Ice Climber RUN in the Wii U version but not 3DS...
Is they cut for that reason, I gonna feel really pissed...
I think, if it's not saying Nana & Popo, it would be Murabito, as Jr. got KO'd twice while Villager / Murabito stayed alive even with above 200% damage. Although, it still sounds like the Ice Climbers chant. We still need to hear Murabito's chant with clear audio, though...

Last edited:

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
They could have made Popo a seperate character and every time he used a special move Nana was "summoned" similar to Zelda's "Phantom Slash" attack... just an option other than fully removing them!
I think that making the ICs a solo character would just ruin the whole concept of them. If you look at them individually they are very generic. Sure it is lame that IC has been cut completely from the game. But I rather not have ICs at all rather than have a half-*** version of them. That being said, Sakurai should definitely add a IC stage to the game (if only to acknowledge their existence).

On topic: I hear the crowd chanting "Popo" and "Nana", but I wouldn't bet that the ICs would come as DLC. It's probably just left over data. Although they could possibly come back as a "new" 3DS or Wii U exclusive DLC (not that I would enjoy that).

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Is there some place I can hear the Ice Climbers' Japanese chant from Brawl? I can't deny this sounds similar to the Brawl chant (it's very distinctly "Nana! Popo!", at least), but until I hear the original, I'm not convinced it's not exactly that layered under some Smash 4 audio.

Given that there doesn't seem to be any leftover image data of the ICs based on the recent Reddit stuff, I'd be shocked if there was still an unused chant in the game, and all the more so if it could actually be heard in-game.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's obviously saying "Nana! Popo!".
I don't see how people are confusing it for Murabito or Koopa Jr. Also, why would it be Koopa Jr. if Villager was winning, dying 0 times while KOing Jr. 2 times?
Why would "Murabito" be chanted by both female and male if it's not two words/names?

Just listening to it, though, makes it obvious to the ears that it's "Nana! Popo!"

I would also, however, like to compare it to the Murabito chant, if only I knew where I could listen to it....
Murabito is possable. you know they can go "Mura! Bito!" If they wanted too, right?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
There's still hope...!!!! 0.0 Sooner or later, someone at Nintendo needs to revive the Ice Climbers, even if it's a short platform climbing game! :popo:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
They could turn the Ice Climbers reboot into an eShop game, that would actually be pretty cool (pun not intended).
Exactly. I think what would be cool would be like an Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt revival, not like NES Remix, but taking elements of modern day gaming and incorporating these retro heroes into a brand-new series; much like Sakurai reviving the Kid Icarus franchise. Regardless, I think that it's a shame that the ICs didn't make it in, but maybe this is a sign. Also, with the New Nintendo 3DS, capable of running a game the size of Xenoblade Chronicles, I can't deny that the Ice Climbers can return through that new system hardware.

Top Bottom