• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Ice Climbers Chant discovered in Smash 3DS?

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Man. This entire find is depressing. Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS I've spent countless hours- hundreds of hours of my life on it, BUT I would take the Ice Climber's return over the 3DS anytime. I didn't even main them, and I hardly touched them, but they were a Smash Brothers staple, and missing them is like a bullet wound.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
They were working on the characters and then stopped because 3DS was too weak.
My only question is why do devs keep cut/incomplete content in? Back in the day it didn't matter I guess because they could still print games pretty fast but now they're just making our downloads take longer and take up storage on our limited spaces of data.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
One thing i think should be kept in mind is that there is the "New" 3DS launching in japan in October and next year in the US. My guess would be that these files were kept in so that IF possible they can try and release an upgraded version of Smash 3DS that includes Ice Climbers and more hopefully for the "new" 3DS exclusively. While this may mean regular 3DS owners lose out unless they upgrade, a majority of 3DS are going to upgrade anyway. This also would allow the Wii U version to include Ice Climbers and there still being a smash bros 3DS version that has the exact same roster as it's console counterpart. Whether this actually happens is up in the air but i feel like they are trying to covers their bases encase they can do this. (and given smash's incredible sales in japan i think it could happen)

bbboy

Smash Rookie
Has any one noticed this the villiger has ice climbers cheer. He he has the same taunt at them as we'll. They put the villiger on the ice climbers once they were cut

D

Deleted member

Has any one noticed this the villiger has ice climbers cheer. He he has the same taunt at them as we'll. They put the villiger on the ice climbers once they were cut
No.
He doesn't have their taunt at all. It's just cheering, while the Ice Climbers jump. I suppose Villager is a Lucas replacement because his down taunt resembles Lucas's victory pose? With how complex the Pocket move is, I doubt that they would program that as a "replacement" character. Villager was planned to be there from the beginning, as were the Ice Climbers. Ice Climbers simply did not make the cut due to a combination of low priority, and 3DS problems. No one "replaced" the Ice Climbers. Stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Came back to bump this topic since new info has been found. While I know some people were in doubt and thought it was an awkward Japanese pronunciation, it isn't. It's a legitimate glitch. It was originally found by Gema_Yue, but now GameXplain are also vouching for it, saying that it works:

For those who want to try it out if they have a JP 3DS, you have to play as Villager on Yoshi's Island, and make all 3 CPU players Dr. Mario. Once Villager ends up above 100%, K.O. the Dr. Marios and if you manage to trigger the crowd chant, they will be shouting "Nana! Popo!" instead of Villager (or Murabito).

While I have not heard the Murabito chant myself, I don't think GameXplain (or any of the other people posting it) would post it if it was a simple awkward pronunciation, because they have more than likely checked the actual "Murabito" chant.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Came back to bump this topic since new info has been found. While I know some people were in doubt and thought it was an awkward Japanese pronunciation, it isn't. It's a legitimate glitch. It was originally found by Gema_Yue, but now GameXplain are also vouching for it, saying that it works:

For those who want to try it out if they have a JP 3DS, you have to play as Villager on Yoshi's Island, and make all 3 CPU players Dr. Mario. Once Villager ends up above 100%, K.O. the Dr. Marios and if you manage to trigger the crowd chant, they will be shouting "Nana! Popo!" instead of Villager (or Murabito).

While I have not heard the Murabito chant myself, I don't think GameXplain (or any of the other people posting it) would post it if it was a simple awkward pronunciation, because they have more than likely checked the actual "Murabito" chant.
Hope there's still freaking hope :')

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
I keep seeing this around, and yes it sounds like "Nana" "Popo", it's super identical to Brawl's IC chant, but at the same time not ever hearing Villager's normal chant is super bugging me. People everywhere say "Oh Villager's chant is different" but is it?
Has anybody who claims that actually heard it?
I'm in no way saying that it sounds like "Murabito", I'm saying maybe the entire Villager chant might've been accidentally replaced with the IC one... Somehow.
I'd very much like to be proven wrong, considering I want to hear Villager's chant anyways, but can anybody with the game tinker around with this?

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Im completely fine with 3ds version..but its dumb they absolutely HAVE to have the same roster. I would be fine with the current roster for 3ds and like 10 more characters on wii u. And im sure most if not all people would not complain.
They would. They will complain about Yoshi standing up, and they'll definitely complain about not having access to some characters. I don't have a Wii U. I have no intention to buy one, even if this was Wii U exclusive. If they added Ice Climbers to Wii U but not 3DS, I'd be furious. So will everyone else in the same situation and was denied the characters they wanted until they fork over the money for a new console they don't plan on using except for this one game. Not to mention this means there is no cross-compatibility between the 3DS and Wii U because if the 3DS can't render the character properly, they won't appear.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Now that there's a video with clear quality, and we know it only happens when using Villager against Dr. Mario on Yoshi's Island, it's obvious now that it's "Nana! Popo!" and not Murabito :)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Not surprising. You're surprised that assets for a character prepared for the roster and then shortly after cut for technical reasons exists? It's not like there aren't assets for characters planned/prepared for previous games in their data.
Being a Mewtwo main is suffering.

Khao

Smash Lord
What I want to know is why would Japanese people have awkward pronunciation when speaking a Japanese word, lol.

I mean, I'd understand the argument if Murabito was called "Maraboto" or something, but I don't see the pronunciation of "Murabito" changing enough to sound like this chant.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The question is why this exists. Sakurai-san is trolling to the max.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I heard Villager's cheer in the English demo, at least. It sounds like they're saying "Villiger" instead of "Villager".

As for this cheer we're discussing right now, it almost sounds like the female half of the crowd might be saying "Mura" but the guys sound like they're saying "Popo" rather than "Bito".

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Aw man, this hurts. :( Their chant wasn't even removed from the game. They should have remained in the Wii U version.

Damn shame the $60 HD home console game is held back by the cheaper $40 handheld console game and Sakurai's awful "parity!!!111!!!" thinking. Roster parity is useless when there's no cross-play. :/

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Aw man, this hurts. :( Their chant wasn't even removed from the game. They should have remained in the Wii U version.

Damn shame the $60 HD home console game is held back by the cheaper $40 handheld console game and Sakurai's awful "parity!!!111!!!" thinking. :/
It hurts even more the fact they had them fully functioning, playing on the Wii U and then they get removed because the 3DS can't handle them :'( its a sad day.

Last edited:

Zanwald

Smash Rookie
It's more than likely just **** left behind from when they were tinkering with Ice Climbers in the game.. Because they WERE in the game. They just didn't work out properly.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So um if villagers chant is different, can someone post a video of it to prove that statement?

It hurts even more the fact they had them fully functioning, playing on the Wii U and then they get removed because the 3DS can't handle them :'( its a sad day.
They obviously weren't fully functioning if they had difficulties with them in the game.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So um if villagers chant is different, can someone post a video of it to prove that statement?

They obviously weren't fully functioning if they had difficulties with them in the game.
They were functioning on Wii U.
Not 3DS.

Also, I think the above video posted is proof enough. It's clear quality and sounds more like "Nana! Popo!" instead of "Mura! Bito!", and it only happens when it's Villager VS. Dr. Mario.

Here's another video, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5cdiB46tZU

...with the same Nana! Popo! chant. I don't know a video with a normal Villager VS. A-Different-Character-From-Dr. Mario fight that has the chant playing.....

I don't see how people can confuse that with Murabito, though. Popo is short like Bito, but the only part that sounds like the word Bito is the O at the end. You don't even hear the R sound in Nana.....

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
They were functioning on Wii U.
Not 3DS.

Also, I think the above video posted is proof enough. It's clear quality and sounds more like "Nana! Popo!" instead of "Mura! Bito!", and it only happens when it's Villager VS. Dr. Mario.

Here's another video, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5cdiB46tZU

...with the same Nana! Popo! chant. I don't know a video with a normal Villager VS. A-Different-Character-From-Dr. Mario fight that has the chant playing.....

I don't see how people can confuse that with Murabito, though. Popo is short like Bito, but the only part that sounds like the word Bito is the O at the end. You don't even hear the R sound in Nana.....
But I want to hear VILLAGERS actual taunt to see how it sounds. We aren't sure how it sounds because no one was bothered to even record his chant.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Yeah, on the Yoshi stage, if you play as villager and fight Dr. Marios, the crowd will chant "NANA POPO! NANA POPO!"

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
Better question: Has anybody gone through the full Sound Test list of sounds? Every Smash game has its crowd cheers in the Sound Test menu.

Last edited:

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
They were working on the characters and then stopped because 3DS was too weak.
My only question is why do devs keep cut/incomplete content in? Back in the day it didn't matter I guess because they could still print games pretty fast but now they're just making our downloads take longer and take up storage on our limited spaces of data.
It's extremely hard to remove every file of something from a game. If you don't have to, don't. One of the cases a developer had to was in SVR 2008 when the Chris Benoit incident happened. However, the Ice Climbers weren't a murder, so they didn't have to remove all the files. That takes time.

Last edited:

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
It's extremely hard to remove every file of something from a game. If you don't have to, don't. One of the cases a developer had to was in SVR 2008 when the Chris Benoit incident happened. However, the Ice Climbers weren't a murder, so they didn't have to remove all the files. That takes time.
Yeah but now people are going to be begging and creating rumors about DLC forever.

Also it feels like someone was murdered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrxjvQznpOY
:yeahboi:

http://iceclimbersadventures.tumblr.com/post/97307436084/both-thanks-for-everything
HNNNNNNNNNNG!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Just saying, there's something fishy about this whole situation. Sakurai said they were working properly on WiiU. Now, aside from the totally ******** fact that he cut them because of the 3DS parity bull****, why did he even bother making them on WiiU?
He's a good developer right? Then he should've known that the 3DS may have brought problems with Ice Climbers. So he probably tried to get them there first if he knew they should've been on both version. Why going through the hassle of trying them out on WiiU, if he wasn't going to put them in anyway because of 3DS?
My guess is that he actually wanted to put them exclusively on WiiU, but someone else stopped him. Iwata maybe? It makes sense from a commercial standpoint to have this parity ****, but I don't believe Sakurai is the one who came up with the idea.
Also, this must have been a last minute thing, hence things like this chant glitch happen.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Just saying, there's something fishy about this whole situation. Sakurai said they were working properly on WiiU. Now, aside from the totally ******** fact that he cut them because of the 3DS parity bull****, why did he even bother making them on WiiU?
He's a good developer right? Then he should've known that the 3DS may have brought problems with Ice Climbers. So he probably tried to get them there first if he knew they should've been on both version. Why going through the hassle of trying them out on WiiU, if he wasn't going to put them in anyway because of 3DS?
My guess is that he actually wanted to put them exclusively on WiiU, but someone else stopped him. Iwata maybe? It makes sense from a commercial standpoint to have this parity ****, but I don't believe Sakurai is the one who came up with the idea.
Also, this must have been a last minute thing, hence things like this chant glitch happen.
It isnt a glitch though, its Murabitos chant.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
And why does it say Nana and Popo? Does it happen always? Doesn't it happen only when he's facing three Dr. Marios?
It doesnt say Nana pop it just SOUNDS like it.
http://www.sounds-resource.com/other_systems/supersmashbrosfornintendo3ds/sound/3537/
These are the crowdes. Downlaod it and go to the "Crowd (JP)" folder and go to murabito. It SOUNDS like Nana popo but it isnt. And it happend with Dr Mario because Murabito was gaining an upper hand so they cheered for Murabito.

Last edited:
Top Bottom