• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Approach tactics?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Hey, olimar main here,
I really admire the way ice climbers can be used in combination and really want to improve my IC gameplay aswell. I have learnt all the major chaingrab and grab combos so that puts me at a good advantage.
However, my problem is that im an olimar main so my game has always been about spacing and staying as far as possible from the opponent. Also, olimars grab has amazing reach and is really easy to pull off. However, I find the ICs grab range lacking somewhat and i cant get used to it.
Therefore, I need help from you guys for any possible approaches into grabs because im too used to backing off and running into a grab. Plus, all my friends are really defensive in their gameplay so are generally hard to hit or grab so I cant really use all the grab combos Ive learnt. Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

Oh yeah, and because im new to ICs, dont use too many techincal terms and try to explain everything please otherwise I probably wouldnt understand what your talking about.
Thanks

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Hmm, I use the following approaches.

Squall hammer
Ascending back aerial to descending aerial blizzard so that both blasts of ice go at the opponent
Descending back aerial to F-smash
Dashing Short hop Blizzard
Dashing Shield to grab
Other stuff...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
You realize you can desynch from the hitlag of the Bair so that Nana does a Blizzard by herself, right? Just input the Blizzard command during the hitlag of the Bair. It's really simple and really effective.
What I meant was that I could jump and hit both back airs with a short hop, then while I'm descending, do a double blizzard. I guess your suggestion works too.

How do I get the timing for this? I've never done this before...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
You realize you can desynch from the hitlag of the Bair so that Nana does a Blizzard by herself, right? Just input the Blizzard command during the hitlag of the Bair. It's really simple and really effective.
i need to try and get that down. that would be a great approach....

but yeah, for starters, the squall hammer, short hop blizzard, and roll dodge to shield grab are all good. the more advanced you get, the more creative you can get. but do try to master short hops. ICs in the air are very floaty. short hops keep them close to the ground.

chewyy

Smash Ace
i need to try and get that down. that would be a great approach.....
yeah, I haven't tried it with blizzards, but I know you can buffer a pivot->iceblock during any lag and Nana will not do it. (shoot the ice block) This works like the pivot desynch.

The bair -> nana blizzard thing sounds different though, I'll have to try it. :)

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
desynched shorthop blizzards
This has a lot of win, but I also like me some desynched squall hammers. Time it so that Nana gets to the opponent first and they'll usually attack her and become open to a mean Popopunishing... but it's not spammable lol.

Also working on the same principle but a tad more risky is desynched short-hop Fairs lol. Not a very reliable technique but it looks kind of menacing to see two angry Icees hopping at you with mallets blazing lolol.

Best mindgame approach is a combination of the 3 though. :p

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Desynching the iceblocks while jumping forward puts some pressure on the opponent, you´ll just to get the timing down so Nana doesn´t IB when Popo is, shorthop Iceblock approach ftw (lol a little like Falcos approach in SSBM...)

Wafles

Smash Lord
Wow, the ice climbers seem really advanced. I really thought it was all chaingrabs, but after reading a few topics on here it's clear that there's so much more to it.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Wow, the ice climbers seem really advanced. I really thought it was all chaingrabs, but after reading a few topics on here it's clear that there's so much more to it.
we've having our own little renaissance here. we're breaking away from the idea of only CGing. hopefully this will help make the IC metagame better. (lol at sounding like i know what i'm talking about!:psycho:)

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My favorite approach is run forward to shield, lol.

Against a lot of characters, if I don't plan on getting a grab or KOing, I usually just blizzard camp, because the ICs really don't need to approach very often in quite a few match-ups.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
recently i've been short hop -> doule blizzard -> synced squall hammer

it pops them up for a combo, but it gets predictable really fast....

Top Bottom