• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i THINK I'M dONE WITH SAMUS?

C-PO

Smash Apprentice
Lately i've been so annoyed with having to play so **** cautious with samus. All of my crew has really stepped their game up the last couple years, and my play has been reduced to wave sheilding around and poking with jabs and tilts and what not. Yeha it takes skill to play competitive with samus, but its really gotten boring. Especially when i have troubles with a sheik or a marth who i know i'm better than. I have found that playing against all of these annoying upper tier critters has gave me a great understanding of the game. Mainly because over the years i have picked up diff chars and learned how to deal with them. However, now i am questioning whether or not I should even entertain samus as a competetive character..... So i'm thinking of just giving up on samus all together. the things that made her cool (i.e. missles, bombs, grapple beam) are such a hassle to use, are easily countered, and do not even seem to fit with in the boundaries of the current metagame. Either way i have given up on smash mainly because of all of these things, but now i recognize this as a game i will always love. Mostly because i am proud of the fact that samus brought me so far, but more importantly that my growth as a good smasher has progressed because of knowledge of matchups and other chars. More so because of just the game itself is so amazing, so picking up new chars has been a great experience for me. If anyone fills like me and is looking for an alt or new main, consider gannon or falcon. If you can adapt to the speed, or not having a projectile you can essentially do the same things but you can be more aggressive. I don't feel like a sellout i just want to see people with a similar "samus perspective" do well @ smash and maybe even in tourneys. HOLLA @ YA BOY....

Pi

Smash Hero
There are days where I feel really limited as well

But I chalk that up to my positioning being bad.

Today I felt this way a little bit.
Marth can out space the **** out of you, it sucks, really it's terrible not being able to get in.
But there are ways around it, I'm exploring every one that comes to my mind, wave dashing tilts/jab/cc/shield, SHFFM, bombs, wavelands, you have to be tricky.

Fox is super fast for sure, let him be, play D and hide in your shield a bit, UB him a few times, make HIM hesitate to approach, then you can get more aggro.

If a day comes when I feel samus has to hide in her shield all **** day to win then I'll quit her. But I don't think she does.

Geist

Smash Master
The hard part is always working around the flaws of your character, and you'll find yourself hitting barriers regardless of which character you play. It takes a lot of practice to be able to come up with solutions and to figure out the best way to overcome said obstacles. With Samus, your options may be more limited, but I find that most of your difficulties can be overcome by spacing and zoning, something you'll get better with no matter who you play as.
That being said, if you find it hard to play off your characters weaknesses, then a change could be welcome. You'll only know if you try.

Pi

Smash Hero
If you're bored with the character by all means try out someone else, just don't swear off her because she sucks, or make any blanket statements that will mentally block you from returning to her; ex. she has to play this way to win.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Yeah, if you don't find her fun, I don't blame you for quitting her. Why do you think I quit sheik?

C-PO

Smash Apprentice
lol @ i'm doing it wrong and blanket statements. Either way i KNOW all of you guys have felt this way @ one point or another. I do however, appreciate the reassurance or motivation to continually learn new things about miss aran. And being tricky can only go so far when you have a marth or sheik or space animal who's spacing u and willing to be patient/gay. However, samus will always be a legit char for me, just because of the knowledge i have for her. But This post is more about me refreshing the great fun feeling of playing smash. Right now samus just doesn't have that, but i know if it really comes down to it i'd put my samus against any char. I just need a new approach and perspective to the game. I've gone through this phase a few times and this is the first time i ever talked about it. Only samus players probably understand this delima so i do appreciate the feedback and comradeship

Geist

Smash Master
I'm in a little rut too right now, for the moment I've plateaued, but I think I'm close to some sort of magical epiphany, so I'm hoping that'll happen soon enough. It's pretty demotivational but I always try to be optimistic about it. Throw in an extra effort to do new things, it helps a lot.

Also, a bit of advice someone gave me once was to try other fighting games out - to help with approaching the game with new perspective. So I picked up SSF4 and blazblue, and it's pretty eye opening how the 3 games can be so different and so alike at the same time. It really helped with my spacing and timing.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Probably the most frustrating thing with Samus is the fact that most characters her tier and above can out-prioritize you with their normal, but most of all NO SHIELD GRABBING!

If she had Link's grapple speed Samus would be so much fun, it's a shame indeed.

Opponents become so fearless once they know the only option you have is Screw Attack at best. Especially Marth who can run circles around you.

Pi

Smash Hero
The only thing that scares me about samus is that one day I'll play her perfectly and still lose.

And I mean 100% perfect.

I'm working toward it, fearlessly, I'll be the best.

C-PO

Smash Apprentice
o I picked up SSF4 and blazblue, and it's pretty eye opening how the 3 games can be so different and so alike at the same time. It really helped with my spacing and timing.
Yeah i agree with you there. I started to get into sf4 and blaz blu up last summer. Maybe i'll pick up ssf4

spider_sense

Smash Champion
There are days where I feel really limited as well

But I chalk that up to my positioning being bad.

Today I felt this way a little bit.
Marth can out space the **** out of you, it sucks, really it's terrible not being able to get in.
But there are ways around it, I'm exploring every one that comes to my mind, wave dashing tilts/jab/cc/shield, SHFFM, bombs, wavelands, you have to be tricky.

Fox is super fast for sure, let him be, play D and hide in your shield a bit, UB him a few times, make HIM hesitate to approach, then you can get more aggro.

If a day comes when I feel samus has to hide in her shield all **** day to win then I'll quit her. But I don't think she does.
This guy ***** Ganons and Samus, read everything he says!

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
The only thing that scares me about samus is that one day I'll play her perfectly and still lose.

And I mean 100% perfect.

I'm working toward it, fearlessly, I'll be the best.

lol I know what you mean. What sucks is when you see opponents like Jiggz make mistakes and the only appropriate punishment you can dish out is a F-tilt, simply because her other options aren't effective or are too slow. The upper tiers can Knee, Dash-Up Smash, Jab-Fair/D.Smash, etc...

I miss those 2001-2005 days, back before people started to WD OoS my Smashes + U-tilts. Now like almost all your normals are unsafe and you have to be relatively certain they'll hit.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
Dont blame the character haha or you could just main fox and get dsmashed by me =D

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Sheik is man

Also lolwut how do you learn Sheik that's the one character that I just feel nasty after playing, especially since we're Samus players so we know how gay Sheik is firsthand
I play some sheik too... though I second Fox

Geist

Smash Master
No matter how well I do with Sheik, I always feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and that I'm player her wrong.
Even if I'm winning by 20 stocks.
I just don't know what move to use.

So I play Zelda instead. Only 2 moves. Problem solved.

Geist

Smash Master
Nah I just don't find sheik fun to play. I mostly use Zelda for the Marth matchup because imo it's close to even.
No matter what anyone says.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have mad fun as puff, sheik, marth and all the queer tier. however what's different about how I play them is I am always trying new things even in MMs and junk As whoever I never have a plan I simply adapt to how I need to and try new things. also as pichu i've learned that all moves CAN be good you simply have understand how it can be used. I approach with side-B as pichu sometimes you may laugh at that because most moves acan beat it out, they could sheild, CC or something, however if i'm smart it really works and i'm glad for my 8% I get, why it works is because that's not what they expect side-B as an approach spacing with f-tilt and etc. just seems plain dumb.

however if it fails it tells me a lot about how good they are and etc.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
No matter how well I do with Sheik, I always feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and that I'm player her wrong.
Even if I'm winning by 20 stocks.
I feel the same way. She can do practically anything and combo off everything so you don't even know what to approach with half the time.... but whatever you use usually works.

The awesome thing about Sheik is that you can mess up your execution or misread and still take a stock just because of her priority and speed.

Mess up a dash attack? Dash attack again or press Down Smash. By the time they try to counter you already hit them. It's hilarious. (Of course stupid stuff like this can't be abused but still...)

My friends who play Ganon and Falco get pissed because they see me play Sheik like I'm ******** and take 2-3 stocks off simply because of my tech reads. (I can thank playing Samus for that).

C-PO

Smash Apprentice
My friends who play Ganon and Falco get pissed because they see me play Sheik like I'm ******** and take 2-3 stocks off simply because of my tech reads. (I can thank playing Samus for that).
So can we agree that samus is like a tutorial for tech skill, spacing, and mind games. :laugh:

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Hay guys
I just wanna say I'm co-maining marth now.
I'm going to be using samus less, but I am not, by any means, quit her.
I still have her for CP's and for fun.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Marth is meh.

He plays like samus (space your ****)
Sept that's all he does.
Well actually, most people don't know this, but I mained Marth before Samus.
I switched to Samus only for the longest time, and I'm just getting back into Marth. He's fun to me

Top Bottom