• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I may have found a new possible variable for tripping

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I was just playing a game with my brother, I use the Classic Controller and he uses the Gamecube controller. I always noticed that I rarely if ever trip, having over 40 hours of the game and only tripping like 4 times...he will trip 4 times in just one game though. My bro got really pissed and threw the gamecube controller at me and as he did that, his character tripped. Then it hit me, the majority of people use the gamecube controller...perhaps some of the mechanics or maybe just an action that people use of the controller can help add to the sporatic nature of the tripping action? Just something I came up with, haven't tested it or anything.

Anyone who is trying to figure out what tripping really is, try to possibly use all of the controller types to maybe see if it can change the variables? Anyone else have anything to add, perhaps if they don't use the gamecube controller or notice this?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i use the wiimote nunchuk combo and i maybe just coming to this conclusion because you brought it up but if i trip less than my friends it is only by a marginal amount, but i think you maybe on to something

methinkso

Smash Apprentice
I mostly use the Classic Controller and I trip pretty often. Your brother tripping more than you is more likely just a result of bad luck on his part/good luck on your part, or even something as simple as you jumping around more often and him running around on the ground more often.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
I trip 3-4 times per match and I use the GameCube controller, which has been reported to be less responsive in general by a large number of gamers. It's certainly a possibility that there is something to this theory.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
I am not going to take either sides, all I know is that I just was like "this is either a coincedence in my favor or...I stumbled upon something really big". So I figured I'd post it, regardless I still get the better luck over my brother but their is a chance this may be a HUGE factor. Dunno, glad to see this is getting some attention.

Pizzaguylol

Smash Cadet
Alright, I was just playing a game with my brother, I use the Classic Controller and he uses the Gamecube controller. I always noticed that I rarely if ever trip, having over 40 hours of the game and only tripping like 4 times...he will trip 4 times in just one game though. My bro got really pissed and threw the gamecube controller at me and as he did that, his character tripped. Then it hit me, the majority of people use the gamecube controller...perhaps some of the mechanics or maybe just an action that people use of the controller can help add to the sporatic nature of the tripping action? Just something I came up with, haven't tested it or anything.

Anyone who is trying to figure out what tripping really is, try to possibly use all of the controller types to maybe see if it can change the variables? Anyone else have anything to add, perhaps if they don't use the gamecube controller or notice this?
I lawled really hard at that.

I never thought about the controller type affecting the tripping but I guess its possible... or it COULD just be random.

Mr.100

Smash Cadet
If you want to prove something test it. Do something like 5000 dashes with each controller and record how many trips there are for each.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
What if the issues with the C stick, Gamecube responsiveness, and (if this were true) increased tripping something that Nintendo did on purpose to get people to buy more Wiimotes and classic controllers? :D

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
You're brother was probably just doing a lot of dashes (perhaps even fox-trotting, which vastly increases
chances of tripping) while you might not dash as much, perhaps preferring to walk, roll or jump.

I use a GC controller, and trip once in a while, most matches I don't trip though.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Have you noticed the many GC-controller wielders who don't trip 4 times each match?

Just because you and your brother break the odds doesn't mean it's a rule. Extensive testing has been done (100's of hours). The controller used has no impact on tripping from what we know insofar.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
When you're deep into a match, tripping is easy to miss when it happens. I seriously doubt it's only happened four times to you; that's likely only the number of times you've noticed it.

One time I tripped trying to do a running attack and I couldn't figure out why the attack was so weak and looked so stupid. :o

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, i use a gamecube controller and i think i'm doing something to cause it. 80% of the time when i trip i realize that i held the analog stick at a funny angle. Like i might accidentally start a dash with the analog stick at a 45 degree downward angle and fall. Most of the time i get away with it but when i do fall i think i'm holding the stick funny. I'm purely speculating here to but i tentatively believe that this has something to do with it.

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
I was actually quite curious as to how the tripping worked in the game.

I have a feeling it involves some complex system of numbers for like how far you've traveled, your percentage, your character, and what moves you do...something like that.

but anyway if that's the case then it's probably really hard to find a cure, because it'd be hard to calculate just how often you'll trip.

...or it could just be random :s.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
I think character weight might be a factor,lighter characters might trip more than heavier characters but I might be wrong.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
I trip 3-4 times during a match and I'm using a classic controller. I'm pretty sure it's random.

ArchangelRaziel

Smash Cadet
From what I've learned from playing as well as my own research, tripping seems to depends on the following:

Yes, it is random, all characters have a chance of tripping anytime they dash.

Character weight appears to have some degree of influence, as well as character traction (bowser doesn't trip anywhere near as much as say... Luigi)

Damage % is possible, but as yet unconfirmed by my research

Terrain type / stage is possible but again, hasn't been confirmed (though I have my doubts)

Input of controls (Now this is NOT saying there are magical equations that lead to tripping or not tripping, but if absolutely nothing else LOGIC would state that it has influence. Dashing 50 times in a match gives you greater chances of tripping than someone who only dashes 10 times... It's like the lottery.)

that's what I have going so far. And YES, I DO do research on this, before people start accusing me of pulling this out of my arse.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
From what I've learned from playing as well as my own research, tripping seems to depends on the following:

Yes, it is random, all characters have a chance of tripping anytime they dash.

Character weight appears to have some degree of influence, as well as character traction (bowser doesn't trip anywhere near as much as say... Luigi)

Damage % is possible, but as yet unconfirmed by my research

Terrain type / stage is possible but again, hasn't been confirmed (though I have my doubts)

Input of controls (Now this is NOT saying there are magical equations that lead to tripping or not tripping, but if absolutely nothing else LOGIC would state that it has influence. Dashing 50 times in a match gives you greater chances of tripping than someone who only dashes 10 times... It's like the lottery.)

that's what I have going so far. And YES, I DO do research on this, before people start accusing me of pulling this out of my arse.
Already a topic on testing this, you should search for it. The same guy who figured out the exact character sky and side ko %'s was working on tripping.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i made this theory too.

i wont go too much into it but im thinking each controller to balance the game out trips more and you know how u connect to the game it has the icon of a gc, wii mote +chuck icon? well im thinkign the

gc controller trips 4x, wiimote+chuck 3x clasic 2x and wii mtoe 1x

it was made to balance but in this random kind of way.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
i made this theory too.

i wont go too much into it but im thinking each controller to balance the game out trips more and you know how u connect to the game it has the icon of a gc, wii mote +chuck icon? well im thinkign the

gc controller trips 4x, wiimote+chuck 3x clasic 2x and wii mtoe 1x

it was made to balance but in this random kind of way.
that's horrible, and inaccurate. The classic is being used by everyone who has one, it's better for a fighting game so why would it only have a 2x penalty?

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
Could tripping be more likely depending on how hard you smash the stick? Someone should test this, doing dashes as lightly as possible 500 times, and then doing them smashing the stick as quickly as possible 500 times, and comparing the numbers.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Could tripping be more likely depending on how hard you smash the stick? Someone should test this, doing dashes as lightly as possible 500 times, and then doing them smashing the stick as quickly as possible 500 times, and comparing the numbers.
No, this does not matter.

Top Bottom