• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck with all characters, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Well, that's the thing there. I just suck. I can't seem to do anything. MK is my best character, and I still suck. I can't even 5 stock a Lv1 without taking more than 100% damage and a stock or two gone. I can't even beat a Lv8.

I read the guide, it didn't do anything for me. Anyone got any tips?

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i'm ok, honestly to become a better player watch videos of ppl who are better than you, and post videos of yourself so ppl can critique it. watch my vids, the ones toward the bottome are newest and probably best for u to watch. also. playing with good players will make you better. i play with a group of very dedicated players and we probably play together 5hrs a week at minimum. so if you want to be a good player you know what to do now.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Thanks. Oh, by the way, which one's better? The Wii and Nunchuck or the Gamecube controller?

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Well, that's the thing there. I just suck. I can't seem to do anything. MK is my best character, and I still suck. I can't even 5 stock a Lv1 without taking more than 100% damage and a stock or two gone. I can't even beat a Lv8.

I read the guide, it didn't do anything for me. Anyone got any tips?
I remember in Melee I couldnt beat a lvl 9 falco, yet I could go head to head with some of the really good smashers in the state. Computers are just ********.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Computers are cheap. I only have 2 people I can Brawl with at any given time, the people at this one game place I go to are whiny nerds who say if you win "you're so cheap TEM UP OMFG LOZA CHEP" is all they say. Oh, and no one plays online in my area. I'm just in a horrible place to be :^D

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
"Oh, and no one plays online in my area." = LAG. I am HORRIBLE when it comes to fighting with lag.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube controller. The c-stick lets you have more control over your movement while attacking in the air. All it takes is practice. Work on learning all the basics and work on doing them. Learn how to tilt effectively and learn the range of your grab. Know the range of you attacks (spacing) this is probably why you are best with MK. His moves are all fast, making it less important to know when to activate his attacks so they hit at their maximum range.
Make sure you know everything you can do with your character and make sure you know when to do what. Important terms to learn and use:
Spotdodge
Air Dodge
Spacing Attacks
Tilts
Pivot Grab

Yeah, watch videos of characters you intend to main and take mental notes.

edit: Distance isn't the decider of how much lag you will have that everyone says it is.
Oh yea, learn which air moves l-cancel too.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
sorry about that ******** first post, but to actually answer one of your questions, i know some people that prefer wiichuck and some that prefer gamecube. with wiimote you have to press 2 buttons at once to grab, and you dont get a c-stick, which can have a variety of uses. but with the gamecube controller, the shield buttons are analog and you have to press them in farther. its just preference.

i personally use a gamecube controller though.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
I see, I'll get more challenge out of the Wii Remote. Good. Oh, and what's spotdodging?

EDIT: GAWD Lv8 Cpu Marth is hard. It kept using Short Hop Aerials.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
it sounds as though they're beginning to influence your opinion on smashing then.

what's wrong with c-sticking? or Ike, for that matter. Sure, i'm not a big fan of him either, but mostly he's good at killing newbies/noobs. Though i've seen some vicious ikes, ahah.

Anyhow, it's not as though c-sticking makes you smash 100% better, eh...?

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
What I did when I got Melee at launch was 99 stock games in Hyrule Temple.

So, if you're really not good at the game, why don't you try that out. You'll have long stocks(lives) in the cave of life, and by the time you get done with one 99 stock, you should (Hopefully :laugh:) have a decent/basic understanding how the character you chose plays. Then do a few more, it won't kill ya.

But, I wouldn't suggest watching any videos until you decide on a character, and have a bit of experience using them. That way, when you watch a video, you'll understand a bit about what attacks are being thrown out and how/when/why they're being used.

Anyways, goodluck getting better and see you around :)

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
this thread is the most popular that i've seen in the last couple weeks, it's kind of sad in a way....

this thread has caused a small part of me to die on the inside

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
.... Sorry Ringo.

To the Hyrule Temple thing, it's META KNIGHT, it is quite hard to finally KO someone except for an Usmash.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
I think his dsmash KOs better... :)

edit: I don't understand why sidestepping is called spotdodging. They have the same amount of syllables and sidestepping sounds better.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
the best way to kill someone on hyrule is to gimp them, or to knock them off the right side, the edge there is pretty shallow

Shears

Smash Master
http://youtube.com/user/Unkn0wn71

this is lights youtube channel, he uses pit, but hes got vids of forte who is the best MK in the country. look through it and study the vids

playing lvl 9s arent going to do anything for you. you need to play people. play smart thats all that matters. learn MKs attack distances, spacing from other characters and play aggressive. a campy MK is a stupid MK, an aggressive and smart MK is the best. his upB, dsmash, and fsmash are his best KO moves. his defense sucks, shielding is weak and short compared to other characters. his airdodge doesnt last long. thats why you cant be campy. his dthrow does the most damage, uthrow and fthrow will lead into the best combos, bthrow will knock them farthest away. usmash hits 3 times so you can usually dash into an opponent and hit them with it quickly because theyll take off their shield before the last hit, or their airdodge will end and youll hit them with the last hit. downB sucks and should only be used very situationally. forwardB has the best vertical recovery. glide attack out of jump or upB has great priority, knockback and does alot of damage. also after glide attack there is not landing lag. dsmash comes out ridiculously fast and will probably be your most used move. ftilt has good reach and can rack up damage. dtilt is great but hit box is small so most opponents will just jump over it. utilt has better range than usmash but doesnt KO as easily. tornado can KO over the top and is probably MKs best move. has incredible priority, does alot of damage, cant be airdodged or sidestepped, and it will piss everyone off but you will win with it, also has best vertical recovery other than gliding. jab works great to rack up damage when youve got an opponent against a wall and can lead into dsmash with virtually no lag. WoP is a joke know what it means but it wont ever work unless your opponents suck. however, fair has great reach and does good damage and you can sometimes chase an opponent off the stage with it. uair is good to chain with but wont KO unless at high percents and has some of the best priority and range out of MKs aerials. dair is a useful KO move. opponents with weak recovery should experience the power of this move because it pushes opponents far away, wont KO or meteor, but can easily push opponents out of recovery range (probably MKs best edgeguarding aerial). nair is his best aerial to straight up KO, if sweet spotted (which isnt hard at all) will have great knockback and do alot of damage. if you dont sweet spot the nair it will do alot of damage but have little knockback. MK dies easily so kill your opponents before they kill you. chase them off the edge and KO them easily. MK has the best edgehogging abilities. when below the stage upB will basically teleport him to the stage before anyone else gets there to edgehog and you can just run off the stage and press back to grab the stage quickly for an edgehog. your greatest troubles will be snake and falco. snake is just an obvious counter. falcos reflector and laser breaks all your moves and approaches, his shield can block most of your moves, his dsmash is almost as fast as your dsmash and if timed right will win. he can KO better than MK and has a spike. your only advantage is his lack of recovery which still wont matter much because he can chaingrab you across the stage and meteor you with the dair unless you DI down. this chaingrab will usually put you to about 40-60% damage depending on the length of the stage which will make up for any lead you have or even put you behind and give him the advantage. watch out for falcos and snakes theyre your biggest problem. thats basically what MK is about, using these moves intelligently and tactically will lead you to victory. i cant tell you how to be smart thats what you have to do.

btw why the hell are you guys playing on hyrule temple? its not even a counterpick.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
..... DANG that was a lot, and yet, it makes sense to me. It's saying that Heavy chars, Falco, and Snake are pretty much INSTA DEATH, that I need to work a little more on the combos, and that I need to learn from forte.

EDIT: I just realized that my fighting style is ALSO LIKE FORTE'S STYLE..... Can MK have different styles or is it just that one or you get powned?

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
I'm going to guess you're one of those people who quit the second they can't do anything right?

Shears

Smash Master
aggression is his strength. MK is considered one of the best characters in the game. a campy and passive MK wont suck horribly, but wont be nearly as good as an aggressive MK. play smart. nothing is more important than playing smart.

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Guess he read it o.O I ended up reading 75% of it myself... MK is my most difficult opponent.

MisterMoo isn't necessarily a quitter... he's a flamer. More likely than not, a flamer by more than one definition... OH!

Lastly, All characters can be played with varied style. What it comes down to is, as people learn the way their character works and which moves are effective under which situations, styles tend to turn out similar. You'll always run into people who play characters differently. I know I play Pit much differently than a lot of Pit players for instance. As long as you can play well and you know how the character is meant to be played (offensive, defensive, long range, short) you should be good.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Rofl ya i was just being an *******. Sorry ^__^

But seriously, just listien to Shears. An Aggressive MK will do way better than a passive. MK's entire game is pressure. If u inflict pressure on your opponent, it will most likly mess up there spacing and timing, so once you start your assult, dont let off. But u ofcourse have to be smart about it. Dont go running into snake's uptilts, or ROB n-airs.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
When did R1ngo become the master of MK? R1ingo I challenge you for the rights of being the MK master!

Oh, and the gamecube controller is better in my opinion...

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i don't claim to be a master, i only claim to be better than average and that i want to keep getting better, so i post alot

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
That's the way to think R1ngo. I claim to be "one of the best" with Kirby, but I recognize I need to improve and I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Has anyone noticed that three people have made jerk comments to the OP at first, and then posted later apologizing and then giving real advice. This thread magically changes flame into pixie dust.

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Oh, by the way, which one's better? The Wii and Nunchuck or the Gamecube controller?
Most people prefer the gamecube controller as it's the easiest to pick up if you played melee already.

Even though I have played melee and know the controls on the GC controller very well I still feel a lot more comfortable using MK with the Wiimote/Nunchuck. And to get around the C-Stick problem, I just set the D-pad on the Wiimote to be my up, side, and down smashes, pretty much giving me the C-stick I didn't have before.

It really all depends on what you are more comfortable with. I use the Wiimote/nunchuck for MK, but I would switch to the GC Controller if I were to play as Marth. XD

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Shears Eariler Post - Organized

- http://youtube.com/user/Unkn0wn71
This is lights youtube channel, he uses pit, but hes got vids of forte who is the best MK in the country. Look through it and study the vids.

- Playing lvl 9s arent going to do anything for you. you need to play people. Play smart thats all that matters

- Learn MKs attack distances, spacing from other characters and play aggressive. A campy MK is a stupid MK, an aggressive and smart MK is the best.

- His upB, dsmash, and fsmash are his best KO moves.

- His defense sucks, shielding is weak and short compared to other characters. His airdodge doesnt last long. thats why you cant be campy

- His dthrow does the most damage, uthrow and fthrow will lead into the best combos, bthrow will knock them farthest away.

- Usmash hits 3 times so you can usually dash into an opponent and hit them with it quickly because theyll take off their shield before the last hit, or their airdodge will end and youll hit them with the last hit.

- DownB sucks and should only be used very situationally.

- ForwardB has the best vertical recovery.

- Glide attack out of jump or upB has great priority, knockback and does alot of damage. Also after glide attack there is not landing lag.

- Dsmash comes out ridiculously fast and will probably be your most used move.

- Ftilt has good reach and can rack up damage.

- Dtilt is great but hit box is small so most opponents will just jump over it.

- Utilt has better range than usmash but doesnt KO as easily.

- Tornado can KO over the top and is probably MKs best move. It has incredible priority, does alot of damage, cant be airdodged or sidestepped, and it will piss everyone off but you will win with it, also has best vertical recovery other than gliding.

- Jab works great to rack up damage when youve got an opponent against a wall and can lead into dsmash with virtually no lag.

- WoP is a joke know what it means but it wont ever work unless your opponents suck. However, fair has great reach and does good damage and you can sometimes chase an opponent off the stage with it.

- Uair is good to chain with but wont KO unless at high percents and has some of the best priority and range out of MKs aerials.

- Dair is a useful KO move, opponents with weak recovery should experience the power of this move because it pushes opponents far away, wont KO or meteor, but can easily push opponents out of recovery range (probably MKs best edgeguarding aerial).

- Nair is his best aerial to straight up KO, if sweet spotted (which isnt hard at all) will have great knockback and do alot of damage. If you dont sweet spot the nair it will do alot of damage but have little knockback.

- MK dies easily so kill your opponents before they kill you. chase them off the edge and KO them easily.

- MK has the best edgehogging abilities. When below the stage upB will basically teleport him to the stage before anyone else gets there to edgehog and you can just run off the stage and press back to grab the stage quickly for an edgehog.

- Your greatest troubles will be snake and falco.
---Snake is just an obvious counter.
---Falcos reflector and laser breaks all your moves and approaches, his shield can block most of your moves, his dsmash is almost as fast as your dsmash and if timed right will win. He can KO better than MK and has a spike. Your only advantage is his lack of recovery which still wont matter much because he can chaingrab you across the stage and meteor you with the dair unless you DI down. This chaingrab will usually put you to about 40-60% damage depending on the length of the stage which will make up for any lead you have or even put you behind and give him the advantage.
--- Watch out for falcos and snakes; theyre your biggest problem.

- Thats basically what MK is about, using these moves intelligently and tactically will lead you to victory. I cant tell you how to be smart thats what you have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom