• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I stopped playing Melee on purpose

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else here refused to play Melee the last couple weeks in order to hype themselves up for Brawl?

You see, I know that Brawl is going to be a different game, and I played Melee competitively for about 3 years. So going into Brawl, I'm going to have some pre-conceived notions about what the game "should" be like. A lot of smashers have already tried to make comparisons between the two games, usually leading to disappointment (for whatever minuscule reasons).

So, in order to avoid this possible happening, I'm cleansing myself of any expectations by not playing Melee at all and watching Brawl videos instead.

Sounds crazy, but I think it's gonna work.

Ampleforth

Smash Cadet
I stopped playing around October because of this very reason. The release date was December 3rd still, so it was only another month or so.

That turned into 6...

But yeah you're not the only one.

Waddle

Smash Ace
I just went to a tourny yesterday for Melee. It was my last one. I got 2nd and won an iPod Shuffle :).

Smash Ace
I'll probably play Melee for years to come. Yeah, I'll play Brawl too, but as long as I can find friends to play SSBM with me I'll keep playing.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I've only played a little to practice my X/Y short hops. And I have not even done that much since I know they are a bit different in Brawl, and it will be easier to practice them in the correct environment with tap jumps off since I keep hitting it occasionally, especially when practicing recovery.

Should master it pretty quick once I get Brawl and have tap jumps off.

Edit: That doesn't mean I am done with Melee, I still enjoy it. I just don't play it right now and probably won't do much more than that until Brawl is released on it. Especially since I don't have anyone around me to play...

M.K

Level 55
I know that no matter what I do, something will be drastically different. I've taken up other games for the time being...NOT on the Wii, usually on the Nintendo DS..

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Ummm, no. I'm still playing Melee simply because it's fun. I think if I stick to the mindset that Brawl's a completely different beast, I'll be okay.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Im going to play Melee until I get in my car to drive to gamestop on the 8th at 11 p.m.

Then Ill put it back on the shelf, and probably never touch it again...

Cenedar

Smash Ace
My brother has my Melee copy... and the last time I played was at a party a week or so ago. But apart from that, I too have not been playing Melee much these past few months, to make my first Brawl experience fresh and new.

Eszett

Smash Cadet
I cannot agree with this line of thought more.

Too many competitive players are making the fallacy of relating Brawl tactics to Melee tactics. The two games are worlds apart in how they play and should be treated as such.

S0X

Smash Cadet
Yea i can't help but play melee even though the game is extremely boring by yourself I ussualy play whenever my brother wants to.

darklinkjr

Smash Cadet
i actually started playing melee for practice. i dont think that brawl will be a dissapointment.
ya know. i just needed to retouch up a bit. and im back in shape and ready for brawl.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played much Melee anyway because I don't have time. >_> I did pick it up for the first time in...a year a few weeks ago to clear a couple of events I never beat. But it doesn't really matter to me. I'm able to switch between games in a series pretty easily. I just had to ensure I wasn't entirely crappy like back when I first got the game, again.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i stopped playing not because of brawl, but just because i have started playing 64 version more now, and also i have been playing other games on the wii, and virtual console too.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I stopped playing last week because I got Pikmin 2.
I just got that, too.

Also, I've kept playing Melee ever since it was delayed again until March.

Basically, just like any other muscles, your brain weakens if it's not used.
So I've used Melee to keep my mind practiced in prediction and mind-games.

I'll just have to adapt to Brawl when I get it. I would have to do that even if I had quit Melee due to how many hours I put into it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I just went to a huge tourney on Saturday and Im sad I wont get to do it again :( Why does everyone absolutely HAVE to move on, its not like Melee isn't fun just because a new game is coming out. It's like the second something new and shiny comes out everyone just decides to discard the older versions.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I will continue to play Melee until March 8th. My friends still play so as long as I have
someone to play with I will, although we mostly just mess around now.

Also, people move on because it is a new thing, people want to try out the new thing. if it is superior than why wouldn't they play it, and if it isn't then maybe people will go back to Melee.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
I on the other hand have been trying to play a lot of Melee recently, because I get the feeling that I won't look at it much (if at all) once I get Brawl. I must cherish my final days with it!

TwilightSky

Smash Cadet
I actually started playing it a bit more to practice. I'm not getting any better though :(.

Viscano

Smash Apprentice
I don't get what people mean when they say "Melee and Brawl are completely different games." Really now, how different can they be? It still has Smash moves, special moves, and aerial moves. I don't see how it's completely different.

Can someone please elaborate?

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Has anyone else here refused to play Melee the last couple weeks in order to hype themselves up for Brawl?

You see, I know that Brawl is going to be a different game, and I played Melee competitively for about 3 years. So going into Brawl, I'm going to have some pre-conceived notions about what the game "should" be like. A lot of smashers have already tried to make comparisons between the two games, usually leading to disappointment (for whatever minuscule reasons).

So, in order to avoid this possible happening, I'm cleansing myself of any expectations by not playing Melee at all and watching Brawl videos instead.

Sounds crazy, but I think it's gonna work.
I did the exact same thing.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I stopped playing June 2007. I had no one to play against.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Why would anyone stop playing Melee "in preparation for Brawl"?
It seems to me that the only people that would effect are the ones that haven't put enough hours into Melee to truly blend with the game, if that makes sense.

I know it's not very much, but after 300 hours of playing Melee (Just on my console), I don't think I'll ever be able to truly forget how to play it.

I don't even think about any of the techniques I use anymore, but I know that after being killed repeatedly for trying to crouch cancel, I'll learn.

Milk!

Smash Rookie
I've actually been playing alot, whenever time permits me to do so.

I also head down after school to my local cafe where big brawls generally take place. Friendly matches.

Top Bottom