• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

Palutina

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerkllandong1st
Ah. Those dives were a result of failed warps on stage. It's a maneuver I love doing, it almost deserves it's own name. Unfortunately, Up-B actually means Side-B if you slip even a little. I made numerous silly SD's because I was stubborn about it. I shouldn't fail them so I'll keep doing it, but oops.

Customs in FG when
I know it's really frustrating in this game. I didn't play brawl or melee at all near competitive levels nor did I play a character that has a warp. Has the input always been this strict? Never felt like it before...

Ice Ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceninja77
Just got another tournament match yesterday against a Sonic Player. Still learning the match up right now, I hadn't fought any good Sonic players up to this point.

(At 01:51:04)
http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/3763398
Youtube Link (Same Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLVsruOJ0CE&index=9&list=PLe5nQdhHqwUUv5kwC9onrqHWk1qL55IiK

Also I had posted this in my guide before but hadn't posted it in the video thread yet. I made a Warp Ledge Cancelling Tutorial video a while back, so I hope it will help out anyone that's learning the spacing for Warp Ledge Cancelling still.

Last edited:

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Daaaaammnnn that's some nice Palutena playing! I hope to aspire to the levels of IceNinja :O

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Some matches with commentary from my channel:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Ryo's Palutena is just so good :love: he's my new favorite Palutena player now, will definitely study his playstyle more :grin: waiting for his Grand Final perfomance, i hope he wins. It will be against another Diddy :smash:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Ryo's Palutena is just so good :love: he's my new favorite Palutena player now, will definitely study his playstyle more :grin: waiting for his Grand Final perfomance, i hope he wins. It will be against another Diddy :smash:

Can't watch right now but DANG this is the ryo that plays ike right? Can't wait to watch

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Holy **** it's a LEGIT palutena, like not only good but you can tell he's been seriously practicing her and not just using her randomly. Awesome! He plays differently from Aerolink too so that's interesting to see another high level palu player's style!

OMG I just finished watching all of them... Palu is perfect for Ryo, he's so good at reading and ****.

That last set vs diddy was amazing, there were so many tense and sick moments where they're just running across the stage reading each other. He really adapted so much throughout the set, that the last match was so good.

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Yes, Jab>Instant Dash Attack is a thing. It seems to be guaranteed unlike Jab>Smash Attack.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Last edited:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Another excellent Ryo's perfomance of Palutena. Only 1 game though

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Made this online match a few time ago. Can somebody rate my Palutena, please? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNhQquVQbqM
Nice job! My biggest piece of advice would be not to overuse Uair, especially not at early percents. You're better off racking up damage with Nair or stringing together combos with Fair into Jab/Grab/Dash Attack. Likewise, if you stale Uair early in the match, you're going to have a harder time getting KOs with it later on, especially against heavier characters like Link. You may have noticed, though, that Uair beats Link's Dair, so feel free to intercept him with it as necessary. Nice read on the Usmash, btw!

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to apply into my next matches.

Recorded another one, this time local, more recent.

http://youtu.be/0NUxXpWS4JE

I admit I played pretty bad this one, but still, I believe Palutena is one of the worst MUs for Little Mac, the major reason is her abillity to antagonize his complete lack of air game by using her own far superior air game. Palutena has no problems in juggle a Little Mac in the air with Uair and Nair, has a scary edge-guarding game (since Little Mac has poor recovery ability), she can Counter mostly of his attacks. In LM's favor, we have his monstruous punches that can KO at medium-high percentages, he also has a counter move, which makes me avoid using Palutena's Upsmash (since it's very easy to punish this move) and that fearsome KO punch.

Brief double post.

I got this in two online matches.

http://youtu.be/GzyjPFQN1Ws

Is there a way to effectively use this Wind hitbox on your favor?

Last edited by a moderator:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to apply into my next matches.

Recorded another one, this time local, more recent.

http://youtu.be/0NUxXpWS4JE

I admit I played pretty bad this one, but still, I believe Palutena is one of the worst MUs for Little Mac, the major reason is her abillity to antagonize his complete lack of air game by using her own far superior air game. Palutena has no problems in juggle a Little Mac in the air with Uair and Nair, has a scary edge-guarding game (since Little Mac has poor recovery ability), she can Counter mostly of his attacks. In LM's favor, we have his monstruous punches that can KO at medium-high percentages, he also has a counter move, which makes me avoid using Palutena's Upsmash (since it's very easy to punish this move) and that fearsome KO punch.

Brief double post.

I got this in two online matches.

http://youtu.be/GzyjPFQN1Ws

Is there a way to effectively use this Wind hitbox on your favor?
For future reference, you can always edit your post so you don't have to double-post. :)

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Sheik is a pretty unwinnable matchup for Palutena, unfortunately :x I also play with Vinnie and Will like every day so I kind of lose all kinds of confidence playing against them. I also beat Wes off stream, wish that coulda been recorded.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Sheik is a pretty unwinnable matchup for Palutena, unfortunately :x I also play with Vinnie and Will like every day so I kind of lose all kinds of confidence playing against them. I also beat Wes off stream, wish that coulda been recorded.
That was a great set vs Mr E. though! But I feel ya. Even if you place at the top of a tourny there's always going to be people who think you suck just because you lose to an even better player =/

About Sheik vs Palutena though... I wonder if it's really that bad of a MU for palutena, because despite all things Aerolink has played great sets vs sheiks previously. Granted Aerolink was (and I feel still is) the best palutena and might have just been a better player than his opponents, but then again that might mean there's still a good amount of potential!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I feel your pain regarding the Sheik matchup. Her and Sonic are easily my least favorites to deal with.
What a delicious Dair spike in that first match, though! Great work, friend. :D

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I don't think Aerolink has played Palutena against top level Sheiks, of which I only think there are maybe like, less than 10 currently? I'm also not a fan of his Palutena in general tbh, or the fact that he relies on Diddy for success, but that's a whole different story :p

I can easily handle low level Sheiks, but good players who know how to abuse the character's insane neutral game are almost impossible to touch.

Also Aeris, Sonic is actually one of my favorite matchups. I think it's even at worst. I was thinking of doing an AMA or just making more content for people to better understand some fundamentals and matchups but I'm not sure where I would even start xD Thank you for the compliment though! I almost jumped out of my seat when I hit that haha

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I don't think Aerolink has played Palutena against top level Sheiks, of which I only think there are maybe like, less than 10 currently? I'm also not a fan of his Palutena in general tbh, or the fact that he relies on Diddy for success, but that's a whole different story :p

I can easily handle low level Sheiks, but good players who know how to abuse the character's insane neutral game are almost impossible to touch.

Also Aeris, Sonic is actually one of my favorite matchups. I think it's even at worst. I was thinking of doing an AMA or just making more content for people to better understand some fundamentals and matchups but I'm not sure where I would even start xD Thank you for the compliment though! I almost jumped out of my seat when I hit that haha
Dat shade tho :evil:

Yeah, the problem is that Sheik has such a plethora of near-immediate options in neutral that link together so effortlessly. Our goddess may be quick, but she's just a tad too slow to keep up. :sadeyes:

And I have never considered the match neutral at worst(!), but if you put together a compilation of tips and such, please let me know!

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Seeing his battles strongly discouraged me to use Palutena against Sheik, but encouraged me to persist on her against Marth (my most hated character in every single Smash game :p ). I wonder about her advantages against Marth.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Hmm so do you consider Denti below top-level? I just sorta saw that Denti and Aerolink were both high level players that were performing about the same, and the games were pretty close. Then again Aerolink's been pulling way ahead after switching to Diddy so he might just be a better player than Denti in general. Also maybe cus Denti didn't stick to a single character as long so he didn't have as much experience.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
If you're talking about Vinnie/Will's Sheiks then I would definitely group Denti in there. Nietono's Sheik however, is on another (higher) level. Also, I wouldn't say I'm pulling that much ahead of Denti; our games go really close, and the last couple of times I managed to win. I think it also helps that in a default ruleset, I focus solely on Diddy Kong whereas Denti has a few MUs that he may switch to Sheik. A really good Villager might be the only time I play the default Palutena instead of the monkey.

Lately though, I've been working a lot on custom Palutena and really enjoying her movement. I'm glad I took the time to develop my default Palutena since it gives me a good, fundamental base to work with when learning her customs; it's something I would recommend before exploring her other special moves. I see potential. :)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Seeing his battles strongly discouraged me to use Palutena against Sheik, but encouraged me to persist on her against Marth (my most hated character in every single Smash game :p ). I wonder about her advantages against Marth.
Well, Bair allows you to plow through just about any of his aerial approach options, which is pretty huge. If you shield his Side-B, you're guaranteed a grab->throw->follow-up string. Palutena is also able to zone him out pretty easily with projectiles and tilts, and his lack of horizontal recovery makes him comparatively easy to edgeguard.

Top Bottom