• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some tips for tomorrows tournament

KirbyBeatBox

Smash Rookie
I think I have a good handle on my Kirby but I need some questions answered.

How much should I use final cutter? I like to use it a good amount, but my sense is telling me that is bad.

What is Kirby's best stage to pick/counterpick? I know it's mostly character situational but I'm just wondering what Kirby's best stage is.

Got any generic tips for me? I hope to do well tomorrow.

Dexlysic

Smash Rookie
If you get punished for using FC, you're probably using it too much.
Jungle Japes and Rainbow Cruise are great CP's.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Final Cutter sucks. Dont use it if they are close enough to get you. Account speed into that.

Stages like Corneria/anything else that has a low ceiling or close walls that I'm too lazy to name are freaking awesome for Kirby.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I really don't get punished per say but I do feel that I can do something else besides FC. But I'll keep that in mind.
Bair is amazing for just about anything, keep that in mind. Trying to out space them? Bair. Wall of pain? Bair. Problems getting laid? Bai-daw **** that's not right.

But I'm sure you get the point.

KirbyBeatBox

Smash Rookie
Bair is amazing for just about anything, keep that in mind. Trying to out space them? Bair. Wall of pain? Bair. Problems getting laid? Bai-daw **** that's not right.

But I'm sure you get the point.
I like using Bair. I'll be sure to use it more though. Thanks.

Any advice is helpful as I don't have much time left to prepare.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I like using Bair. I'll be sure to use it more though. Thanks.

Any advice is helpful as I don't have much time left to prepare.
Yeah, just dont spam it. Then you get predictable and it will be punished. But make sure its threat is known.

Also make sure to know your match ups well. Knowing what the do to the fool attacking you makes all the difference in the world. I've lost lots of matches in the past due to shoddy match up experience, it happens to everyone. Play to learn dood.

KirbyBeatBox

Smash Rookie
Yeah, just dont spam it. Then you get predictable and it will be punished. But make sure its threat is known.

Also make sure to know your match ups well. Knowing what the do to the fool attacking you makes all the difference in the world. I've lost lots of matches in the past due to shoddy match up experience, it happens to everyone. Play to learn dood.
Yeah I understand that. I've been looking at match-ups and I think I have an idea on my worst threats.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Kirby has quite a few good stages. Stages that Kirby does well on are:

Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Lylat Cruise
Frigate Orpheon

Okay stages are:

Battlefield
Norfair
Delfino Plaza
PTAD (Apparently it's becoming a legal CP. If it is, this one may be good for Kirby against some characters.)

Stages that Kirby doesn't do so well on are:

Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Green Greens

If you want reasons why, I can give them to you if you want. Also, Kirby doesn't really have any BAD stages as terrain doesn't affect him much, but watch out for some of those low ceiling stages against some of the stronger charcters as I think it would benefit them more than Kirby.

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
yea like falcon was saying bair is key to spacing and getting control of the stage.
try to get combos off early in the game so u can have a slight advantage

you also want to know matchups for kirby against a lot of characters and what to do and not do

i usually cp japes, frigate or mansion depending on who im fighting

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I'll give you a few tips with the stages:

Rainbow Cruise (Take diddy, Olimar or Snake here. They are bad on this stage!)
Lylat Cruise (Going against people with bad recovery or projectiles can help here.)
Frigate Orpheon (Characters with bad recovery eg. Ike and Olimar, take them here.)
Battlefield (Kirby's best neutral IMO because it helps against projectile users and it can help utilise your aerial game. With this, you can use the Bair alot.)
Norfair (Take chain grabers here. Their ability to CG you well worsens as platforms are not long so they can't get more grabs on you.)
Final Destination (This stage is okay, but don't go against projectile spammers here.)

Hope some of this helps and good luck! :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Also, Snake and especially Olimar get ***** on JJ. Especially Olimar. Bring Olimars to JJ. Do it now.
Don't bring projectile spammers like Falco or ROB to JJ though.

Frigate is a cool stage with a whole lot of tricks to it, and it's easy to gimp them on the right side of one of the transformations.

Be careful who you take to the mansion. Diddy, ROB, Fox, Pika, possibly Mario, and others who can easily chain you on the bottom floor are bad to bring there. Oh, and more than anyone else, make sure you don't bring ROB or Diddy there (I actually ban this stage vs Diddy, despite FD being so good for him, as I feel this stage is even better.).

If PTAD is legal, it can be a good CP for you, but don't go there if you're not used to the stage, as the hazards are pretty ****ing powerful.

Falcon... low cielings? Seriously? That's the thing Kirby should avoid. I usually ban Corneria against almost everyone.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Wait...Atria. You said that YI melee was bad? Why?

Tilting platform- Stone slide FTW!
Platform=dthrow>uair when they land on it in stun animation at higher percents (which they probably won't expect and therefore won't tech).
Tilted sides=stone FTW! (if you slide off, you have a hitbox that reaches reasonably far onstage)
Close sides=Fsmash FTW!
Nice ceiling=:)

I usually choose YI for my neutral stage (battlefield=******** platforms, FD=okay, but...yea, SV=same as FD).

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Wait...Atria. You said that YI melee was bad? Why?

Tilting platform- Stone slide FTW!
Platform=dthrow>uair when they land on it in stun animation at higher percents (which they probably won't expect and therefore won't tech).
Tilted sides=stone FTW! (if you slide off, you have a hitbox that reaches reasonably far onstage)
Close sides=Fsmash FTW!
Nice ceiling=:)

I usually choose YI for my neutral stage (battlefield=******** platforms, FD=okay, but...yea, SV=same as FD).
Hmm? Oh someone originally told me that it was a bad stage so I thought it was an actual bad stage. They told me because of the low ceiling so I thought that low ceiling stages were bad for Kirby.

EDIT: Wait, Yoshi's Island Melee is a neutral stage?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
A1, you're thinking of YI brawl. YI Melee is the one with the pipes, and it's not that great of a stage.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
A1, you're thinking of YI brawl. YI Melee is the one with the pipes, and it's not that great of a stage.
I had a hunch that he might of been talking about Yoshi's Island (Brawl)! :) Yeah, I still agree with the fact that YIM is not that great of a Kirby stage.

A1lion835 you're not a ******, I am. :p I've just come to realize that recently as I can't seem to think carefully before I post anymore, I can't interpret people's posts well anymore and I always seem to derail people off the main focus of the thread like I am doing now once again. Because of that, I think I've made myself look like in one of the other character boards. So, I'm going to try avoid going back there until probably a month has gone by. And I think I may have made myself look like one here too as well...:(

Life sucks IMO. Nobody take this personally. It's just how I feel ATM.

DC

Smash Cadet
Battlefield (Kirby's best neutral IMO because it helps against projectile users and it can help utilise your aerial game. With this, you can use the Bair alot.)
I'm gonna have to disagree with this, Battlefield is a horrible Kirby neutral. The platforms screw with your aerials, and it makes Kirbys bad matchups even worse. (Snake and Marth destroy Kirby on Battlefield)

The only thing useful about Battlefield is up throw to the top platform. For everything else, Smashville is the superior stage.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to disagree with this, Battlefield is a horrible Kirby neutral. The platforms screw with your aerials, and it makes Kirbys bad matchups even worse. (Snake and Marth destroy Kirby on Battlefield)

The only thing useful about Battlefield is up throw to the top platform. For everything else, Smashville is the superior stage.
Battlefield isn't terrible for Kirby as a neutral stage. There really aren't any stages that are bad for Kirby because terrain doesn't really affect his performance much in battle. There are some stages though which do benefit him though like Brinstar.

Actually, I think your choice for a neutral stage depends on your opponent's character. For example, you wouldn't go against a chain grabber or a projectile user on FD when you are using Kirby. That's almost equivalent to suicide IMO. Also, I definitely wouldn't take Marth or G&W to Battlefield, I'm aware of that because platforms enhance their game IMO. Instead I'd take Marth to YIB (Apparently the Marth boards think that it's his worst neutral stage.) and I'd probably take G&W to FD rather than go against them on BF. These are just examples of what I'd do against characters Kirby doesn't do too well against who like to have platforms.

However out of all the neutral stages there are, Battlefield is my personal favorite for Kirby. Your choice of neutral stage may differ though because your play style may be different to mine. With me, I like getting up close and putting pressure on my opponents by giving them no room to breathe. You may also know this as the aggressive play style. I like to be mean and in control. However, if being aggressive against my opponent won't work, I can alter it, but being aggressive is what I mainly like to do. By going on Battlefield, this can easily be done because the stage isn't too wide so the opponent can't move too far away from me and also, platforms are one thing which I use to defend myself and I like to shark people who are on top of them. IDK what play style you use, but whatever your play style is, you may feel more at home on SV than you do on BF. But overall, I like BF and I do well on that stage compared to SV.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I hate battlefield for 2 reasons:

1. My playstyle consists of a lot of punishing when they try to combo me, which is hard here.

2. Bugged controller.

#2 is easier to explain. My controller isn't as young as it used to be, and it's getting hard to drop through platforms.

#1... here's where battlefield screws me over. Lets say someone's comboing me. I DI up and out and then they use some attack, where I punish with stone.

Except...I land on a platform instead and get owned.

Main reason I hate that stage.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Uhh... Punish combos with stone? o_O

I'm skeptical, but I don't doubt it works for you. Me, I'd rather punish then with (power)shieldgrabs, or ftilt/utilt>bair/simply bairs.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That was actually aimed at the OP, but thanks for the results. LOL @ police intervention at a Smash tourny XD

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I hate battlefield for 2 reasons:

1. My playstyle consists of a lot of punishing when they try to combo me, which is hard here.

2. Bugged controller.

#2 is easier to explain. My controller isn't as young as it used to be, and it's getting hard to drop through platforms.

#1... here's where battlefield screws me over. Lets say someone's comboing me. I DI up and out and then they use some attack, where I punish with stone.

Except...I land on a platform instead and get owned.

Main reason I hate that stage.
Do you think that your opinion on this stage will change if your controller was actually working better or would it remain the same? That's if you don't mind me asking this of course. I'm going to guess that your opinion on this stage will remain the same because it looks as though you like to punish mistakes with Kirby's stone. However, the platforms mess up your attack and your opponent can punish you easily when you land on a platform. Also, despite the fact that your controller will be working better, this will still happen. That's going to be my guess.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
who the hell is random ike guy?

anyway watching that chu vs ally match just made me realize how unbelievably difficult a good snake is to beat...there has to be some way to improve kirbys game to beat snake right?

right???

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
lol, no. Brawl is dead: MK, Snake, and a few other characters are the only ones that will ever be able to win tournaments at equal skill levels. Snake and MK are both at least 60:40 over Kirby.

^ that's what I would say if I were pessimistic.

But seriously, Snake is hard as hell to beat for Kirby, I call BS when I see people say it's neutral or in Kirby's favor. They don't understand how much harder it is for Kirby to KO, especially when you compare the percentages to which each character can survive. And did you see those grenade/explosive combos Ally pulled off? It's insane...if more Snakes played him to their potential like Ally does, we would all be screwed.

lockdown7

Smash Cadet
Ya I totally agree Asdioh. We have a couple unbelievably good snakes here in AZ and they almost seem impossible to beat. F-tilt and grenades just dominate kirby to no end. Fresh f-smashes won't even kill snake at like 130 from the middle of the stage, it's ridiculous. The only way to beat a really good snake is to take him out of his element and keep him in the air. We all know this is not easy to do.

MK....I don't even want to get into that. Play G&W or Falco against MK. Thats my only advice.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Do you think that your opinion on this stage will change if your controller was actually working better or would it remain the same? That's if you don't mind me asking this of course. I'm going to guess that your opinion on this stage will remain the same because it looks as though you like to punish mistakes with Kirby's stone. However, the platforms mess up your attack and your opponent can punish you easily when you land on a platform. Also, despite the fact that your controller will be working better, this will still happen. That's going to be my guess.
100% truth.

ShockisBack

Smash Rookie
we have a couple of great snakes in AL. against snake, i have to change my playstyle a LOT. mostly, i shield camp by dashing towards them and shielding, then grabbing after whatever attack they do, usually ftilt. personally, i dont feel like the matchup is that bad, as long as you CP RC and get a good neutral (YI).

as far as MK goes... well he's easier to beat than a good marth.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
lol, no. Brawl is dead: MK, Snake, and a few other characters are the only ones that will ever be able to win tournaments at equal skill levels. Snake and MK are both at least 60:40 over Kirby.

^ that's what I would say if I were pessimistic.

But seriously, Snake is hard as hell to beat for Kirby, I call BS when I see people say it's neutral or in Kirby's favor. They don't understand how much harder it is for Kirby to KO, especially when you compare the percentages to which each character can survive. And did you see those grenade/explosive combos Ally pulled off? It's insane...if more Snakes played him to their potential like Ally does, we would all be screwed.
It's a 6/4 match up, Snakes favor.

Whoop de freaking doo.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
MK....I don't even want to get into that. Play G&W or Falco against MK. Thats my only advice.
Falco yes...G&W, no. G&W is at a disadvantage when against an MK. I'd probably either use Snake or Falco in this match-up if you want to increase your chances of winning because they both have a good projectile. Kirby can work too, however, it'll be harder to win because Kirby only has 1 projectile at his disposal plus it's fairly predictable to see it coming. However, it's considered to be an even match-up between the two characters so I THINK that the better player will come out on top.

So how did the tourny go?
You should probably PM them that question or give them a visitor message asking them that question so you can get a faster response compared to waiting for that same person to view this thread again so they can see your question and then reply to it. Who knows? Maybe that person may never look back at this thread again. IDK about that, but you should prepare yourself for uncertainties like that. :p

100% truth.
Nailed it! :laugh: Well TBH, that one felt like a 'no-brainer' to guess accurately. Oh well.

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
nobody likes FD for kirby HIS STONE POWER IS OVER 9000!!! In this stage they can't chase kirby on top because of the stone. Well first i main ZSS then kirby, ZSS can beat Snake players i main kirby to own falco,heavy, and fast people.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I killed a G&W player at like 30% the other day with stone when he tried to UpB chase me off the top on FD... but that's off topic. Still, it was cool.

Guys... MK isn't THAT hard. Kirby probably has an easier time than Falco TBH, and unless you play a good campy snake, he's a better bet there as well.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Snake is harder than Mk.

G&W is harder than Snake.

This discussion is stupid. Learn to deal with a bajillion grenades and **** or just stop playing Brawl, or *gasp* use a friggin cp.

Chudat wins or at least does well, the potential is there.

Top Bottom