• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help with my Smash 4 problem (mental advice)

Feint

Smash Rookie
So I've been having this problem ever since I've started playing the game competitively (around 2.5 years ago). Basically what the problem is, is that I get really discouraged with the game sometimes and I quit, just to come back to it at a later point (maybe like a few weeks later). Something to note is that I play both Smash 4 and Melee competitively, so whenever I'd quit Smash 4 I'd just play Melee.

So for example, this week I've been over alot at my friends house to practice some Smash 4 with him. What really discouraged me was that he went Marth, and beat my Marth with it, even though he never uses Marth and Marth is my main. I'm at the same skill level he is so I don't know why I lost to him. It's not only like that with my friend though, it happens all the time to me no matter who I'm playing against.

Maybe it's the way I play Smash 4 because I've never had that problem in Melee. Maybe I play too agressively? I don't know. So should I just quit the game completely and play Melee? Maybe it was never meant for me to play Smash 4. Hopefully you guys can help me.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Don't think about quitting. It's good that you got into the competitive scene (I couldn't get into it because I'm stuck at home heh), don't throw that away. It's normal to sometimes feel like you're stuck in a rut, that you're going nowhere but that's not true. Study what you're doing first off, you stated you might be going at things too aggressively, does that mean you don't shield much? Try waiting for your opponent to make the first move to start with. There's also tons of videos showing competitive marth play so look those up too.

Feint

Smash Rookie
Don't think about quitting. It's good that you got into the competitive scene (I couldn't get into it because I'm stuck at home heh), don't throw that away. It's normal to sometimes feel like you're stuck in a rut, that you're going nowhere but that's not true. Study what you're doing first off, you stated you might be going at things too aggressively, does that mean you don't shield much? Try waiting for your opponent to make the first move to start with. There's also tons of videos showing competitive marth play so look those up too.
Thanks for the support. About the aggression thing, I don't think it's specifically about shielding, I just get hit, be it grabs or attacks. I'm not sure what it is. Too bad I don't have any recent replays handy to check what I'm doing wrong. I'll record a replay next time I play, but thanks for your help I really appreciate it man.

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
So I've been having this problem ever since I've started playing the game competitively (around 2.5 years ago). Basically what the problem is, is that I get really discouraged with the game sometimes and I quit, just to come back to it at a later point (maybe like a few weeks later). Something to note is that I play both Smash 4 and Melee competitively, so whenever I'd quit Smash 4 I'd just play Melee.

So for example, this week I've been over alot at my friends house to practice some Smash 4 with him. What really discouraged me was that he went Marth, and beat my Marth with it, even though he never uses Marth and Marth is my main. I'm at the same skill level he is so I don't know why I lost to him. It's not only like that with my friend though, it happens all the time to me no matter who I'm playing against.

Maybe it's the way I play Smash 4 because I've never had that problem in Melee. Maybe I play too agressively? I don't know. So should I just quit the game completely and play Melee? Maybe it was never meant for me to play Smash 4. Hopefully you guys can help me.
If we're talking about people who try to deliberately go into a mirror match after you beat them with a certain character. That's a pretty common thing in both online and offline couch playing. The other player just simply gets frustrated you are beating them with a character that he/she thinks their better with. Oddly enough I have a similar issue when I beat people with lucina. After a few rounds, they switch over to marth cause they both play so similar yet people get angry when they view the "not as good clone" doing just as good or better than their Marth. It's honestly kind of sad cause I have no issue with marth, and I'm willing to admit that the tipper mechanic is what makes marth stand out. I just prefer lucina as a character, and I don't care how similar the playstyle is.

Last edited:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Thanks for the support. About the aggression thing, I don't think it's specifically about shielding, I just get hit, be it grabs or attacks. I'm not sure what it is. Too bad I don't have any recent replays handy to check what I'm doing wrong. I'll record a replay next time I play, but thanks for your help I really appreciate it man.
Yeah, if you can get a video up it would allow much more constructive feedback on how to potentially improve. In the meantime, however, there are still a couple of pieces of advice I feel you might benefit from.

Firstly, you should quit Smash 4 only if you're not enjoying it anymore. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with not playing it for a while and picking it back up later if you do feel like you're in a bit of a rut; this doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth dropping the game entirely. That said, if it's happening a lot, and you find that playing Smash 4 is causing you more upset than enjoyment, then maybe it is worth sticking solely to Melee. With all the other less-than-ideal aspects of life, there really isn't any room for sticking with games that you don't enjoy playing in your free time.

Secondly, just from what you've written here, potentially the issue might be that you're trying to play Smash 4 too much like you would play Melee? Obviously this is a massive assumption that might be completely untrue, but I know for a fact how confusing it can be to try and switch between different fighting games on the fly, particularly if one favours particular play styles and techniques which the other doesn't. Just as an anecdotal example, if I've been playing Street Fighter (which is back-to-block and where backdashes are pretty strong) and then switch to Mortal Kombat, for the first few matches I'll find myself walking backwards and backdashing more often than normal, even though Mortal Kombat has a specific button to block and, in MKXL at least, backdashes are more resource-intensive and less effective than in Street Fighter.

IDK, hopefully the above has given you something to consider - good luck with whatever you decide to do.

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Don't give up this happens to me ALL THE TIME I have recently taken a break playing smash and have moved to other games for a while. Sometimes u just need a break. But I still stay active in the community by doing stuff like this on smashboards.

Top Bottom