• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm dropping a post here just for good luck on Thursday.

If any megaton announcements are planned let Chief be the one to close out the first season.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I'm dropping a post here just for good luck on Thursday.

If any megaton announcements are planned let Chief be the one to close out the first season.
I always imagined Chief as the very last Newcomer to Ultimate, the big grand finale. If we get him sooner though.... I mean, I’m fine with that! I’m more in the Doomguy camp just because that’s who I know better, but anyone who says Doom is bigger than Halo or more important is kidding themselves. Halo has just as much importance and notoriety to the genre. Both have earned their places in Smash, no matter what anyone says. March on, guys.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
How would you react if at the start of the trailer the first thing you hear is the first piano note from Finish the Fight?

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
How would you react if at the start of the trailer the first thing you hear is the first piano note from Finish the Fight?
Realistically, my mouth would probably gape and a "YES!!!" with two quickly rising arms would probably be my reaction.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Probably a rising "ooHHHHHHH THE LAD HAS ARRIVED TO START A NEW FIGHT"

Last edited:

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
halo.png
On the Japanese Wikipedia, the topic of Halo has its own logo.
If Master Chief were to get in, it would be because of a Halo game on Switch, although that is not necessarily guaranteed. Nintendo tried to push for Rayman Legends to do well in Japan, and he still is not in Smash.
A character is probably chosen on their fighting potential and how well Japanese audiences will receive them. Because Rayman is mostly purple and that colour is associated with royalty, that is probably what is stopping him from having appeal to Japanese audiences.
As far as Master Chief goes, I don't think his character design will prevent him from being well received by the Japanese. They can even make him into a sword wielding anime character if they wanted.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Nut.

Anyways regardless of who it actually is tomorrow, I hope we can continue getting along with our love of Halo and if it is Chief who gets announced tomorrow... celebrate and wish luck to others still hoping for their characters to get in!

Also, dunno if I said this here but I got a gaming computer and MCC on X-mas.

Been having fun, wish my friends would actually play it though so we could get those CO-OP only campaign achievements... they haven't though... alongside doing a Legendary run but they keep putting it off and playing Fallen Order and Code Vein, good games to be sure but... having plans being constantly pushed back feels a bit disappointing.

If anyone ever wants to play it though... user-name on steam is the exact same as it is on here, just with a Poppi Alpha PFP rather than KOS-MOS.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
On the Japanese Wikipedia, the topic of Halo has its own logo.
If Master Chief were to get in, it would be because of a Halo game on Switch, although that is not necessarily guaranteed. Nintendo tried to push for Rayman Legends to do well in Japan, and he still is not in Smash.
A character is probably chosen on their fighting potential and how well Japanese audiences will receive them. Because Rayman is mostly purple and that colour is associated with royalty, that is probably what is stopping him from having appeal to Japanese audiences.
As far as Master Chief goes, I don't think his character design will prevent him from being well received by the Japanese. They can even make him into a sword wielding anime character if they wanted.
from what i can tell i probably think they would call Chief Samus

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Hit up my college roommate (Who I bonded with over Halo and Smash) and ask him if this is real.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Stopping in to wishing you guys luck in the spartan making the cut possibility tomorrow.

Although not a supporter. I'll be hyped in his inclusion.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I’d probably still be wondering who the character is like I did during Cloud’s trailer when the FFVII theme kicked in tbh XD

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
6 new fighters for S2 + Cuphead costume? Chief has a bigger chance now imo, we just need the confirmation of the rumored "halo on switch" now.
FP5 was a dissapointment lol.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
6 new fighters for S2 + Cuphead costume? Chief has a bigger chance now imo, we just need the confirmation of the rumored "halo on switch" now.
FP5 was a dissapointment lol.
I know that joining Smash doesn't automatically mean advertisement for the participant's game (Banjo and Terry prove this point), but the argument still holds merit with Blyeth. So, I guess they are really trying to hold off Chief for Halo port. Anyway, when is the next Nintendo Direct?

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I know that joining Smash doesn't automatically mean advertisement for the participant's game (Banjo and Terry prove this point), but the argument still holds merit with Blyeth. So, I guess they are really trying to hold off Chief for Halo port. Anyway, when is the next Nintendo Direct?
Probably mid February, hopefully we get something like CEA, i don't think we'll get info on S2 of the Fighter Pass there though, probably for a later event.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Well, aside from the expectation that all of fighters pass Vol.1 would be 3rd party, I'd say the final result was at least predictable in hindsight. That was still a bold move adding yet another Fire Emblem character though! At least their sword is somewhat different, they use a variety of weapons, and don't have a counter once again (not that it bothers me, it just gets redundant). I also personally know someone who might main the character based off the playstyle of the character alone so I'm glad the character offers that to some people like Sakurai was mentioning with these unique DLC additions.

I wasn't expecting Chief to show up at the moment but I'll truly be surprised if he isn't somewhere in the next fighters pass. My guess is he'd be somewhere between fighter 2-4 in FP Vol.2
After all, we saw more representation from western gaming with the MII costumes this time around.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, aside from the expectation that all of fighters pass Vol.1 would be 3rd party, I'd say the final result was at least predictable in hindsight. That was still a bold move adding yet another Fire Emblem character though! At least their sword is somewhat different, they use a variety of weapons, and don't have a counter once again (not that it bothers me, it just gets redundant). I also personally know someone who might main the character based off the playstyle of the character alone so I'm glad the character offers that to some people like Sakurai was mentioning with these unique DLC additions.

I wasn't expecting Chief to show up at the moment but I'll truly be surprised if he isn't somewhere in the next fighters pass. My guess is he'd be somewhere between fighter 2-4 in FP Vol.2
After all, we saw more representation from western gaming with the MII costumes this time around.
Plus, the rumored MCC Switch port

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
18 minutes in Vergeben blabbed the mii costumes before they were shown all correct

But too late for byleth though

Anyway let’s hope he’s in pack 2

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
"No way...."

As soon as Chief appears on screen:
"Oh my god, they actually did it!! I CAN'T BELIEVE MASTER CHIEF IS COMING! Sakurai, you magnificent *******..:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I was expecting the silly sword guy but not for FP5, at best during mid season 2 of the new fighter pass, it was a pretty boring reveal but whatever.
Anyways, I'm pretty hopeful for MC now, Cuphead Mii Costume means that more Microsoft-owned IPs in Smash are possible, the only thing left is a Halo game on Switch which is already heavily rumored, so all we can do again is wait patiently for more news.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Cuphead bodes really well for Master Chief imo. He would’ve made more sense to come with Banjo though lol.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Master Chief isn't happening. It is a pipe dream.

I would love it but we are going to get more lame, dumb characters like Joker and Terry. I also wouldn't be surprised if half of this new Fighter pass is 1st party only.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

I would love it but we are going to get more lame, dumb characters like Joker and Terry. I also wouldn't be surprised if half of this new Fighter pass is 1st party only.
Joker and Terry are my favourites in the pass but go off being toxic as usual I guess.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
"You guys can have Banjo since he doesn't earn us any money now. And it will help improve our image as friendly collaborator! But Master Chief is our dear boy, so no way!" Is that really how MS would think? I really doubt it.

If King Zell is true, then it's super stupid not to put Chief in Smash.

I think Altair mii costume means that Doom Slayer has even lesser chance. On the other hand, that can also mean that Ezio or Rayman isn't off the table. And yeah, Cuphead proves that MS is still willing to put its foot in Smash.

Would Nintendo really refuse to put Chief in Smash because of Japan issue?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

King zell a super reliable source is saying he believe halo is coming toh switch

If so if they know about that and it matches with one of the pack release dates he might be there

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
"You guys can have Banjo since he doesn't earn us any money now. And it will help improve our image as friendly collaborator! But Master Chief is our dear boy, so no way!" Is that really how MS would think? I really doubt it.

If King Zell is true, then it's super stupid not to put Chief in Smash.

I think Altair mii costume means that Doom Slayer has even lesser chance. On the other hand, that can also mean that Ezio or Rayman isn't off the table. And yeah, Cuphead proves that MS is still willing to put its foot in Smash.

Would Nintendo really refuse to put Chief in Smash because of Japan issue?
Also, let's not forget promotional DLC, I mean it's why we got Joker

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So, the plan is reveal Halo Switch port during next Nintendo Direct. I also heard Microsoft may reveal it themselves during E3. I doubt Nintendo would give MS right to announce Chief as a newcomer.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I am really hoping this comes to be. Guess we just wait for the next Direct. Hopefully, MCC will make an appearance.

As for Cuphead, what does everyone think? I am glad to see that Cuphead got some recognition. Sans and Cuphead as costumes in Smash is really cool.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So, the plan is reveal Halo Switch port during next Nintendo Direct. I also heard Microsoft may reveal it themselves during E3. I doubt Nintendo would give MS right to announce Chief as a newcomer.
No it's the same reason why Dante in Smash was completely baseless, Capcom would not be the ones to make such an announcement.

I am really hoping this comes to be. Guess we just wait for the next Direct. Hopefully, MCC will make an appearance.

As for Cuphead, what does everyone think? I am glad to see that Cuphead got some recognition. Sans and Cuphead as costumes in Smash is really cool.

No but for real the fact that cuphead got a costume in Smash shows Microsoft's continued cooperation. This raises Chief's chances from 0.1% to 1.1%

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
The Cuphead thing gives me some pause, though. If they planned to include Chief in Smash, why not hold off on the Cuphead thing to coincide with a Microsoft character? Joker came with Persona content, Hero with Dragon Quest, and Terry with the whole SNK kitchen sink; Banjo and Byleth were the only ones who didn't have fitting Mii costumes.

On the other hand, Cuphead didn't come with Banjo, so maybe it doesn't matter that much. Would Nintendo only need to negotiate with MDHR? That could explain his seemingly random appearance...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Cuphead is owned by MDHR, MS just helped fund it.
Also Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter came with Terry even though they could have come with Joker as they're Sega characters

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Cuphead is owned by MDHR, MS just helped fund it.
Also Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter came with Terry even though they could have come with Joker as they're Sega characters
Akira and Jacky are fighting game characters so they sorta fit with Terry.
Banjo and Byleth have no pattern.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Akira and Jacky are fighting game characters so they sorta fit with Terry.
Banjo and Byleth have no pattern.
Yeah, my point is moreso that the IP holders of the Mii costume characters don't really mean anything

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Hello everyone, I'm just dropping by to show my support for the Chief.

I don't have any deep connections with Halo or Master Chief (i played the original Halo many years ago at a friends house and enjoyed it),
but seeing him in Smash would definitely a big moment (at least in my opinion) and i'd love to see the reactions of some people to that.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

I don't have any deep connections with Halo or Master Chief (i played the original Halo many years ago at a friends house and enjoyed it),
but seeing him in Smash would definitely a big moment (at least in my opinion) and i'd love to see the reactions of some people to that.
Welcome aboard! Thank you for your support!

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman

This site needs more of this attitude. What characters do you support? Be neat to check out some new threads.

Top Bottom