• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hope Brawl DOES fail in the competitive scene aspect

Dabble

Smash Cadet
So that when the inevitable Smash 4 comes out (because Nintendo will do it regardless of Sakurai's influence as Iwata pointed out with their initial response to a smashless wii) there will be far more people interested in the game.

Every franchise needs a game where it just falls short. Seeing as how this is a fighter, the competitive scene should not exist for Brawl because it would hinder the newblood from waltzing into the series for the first time. Consider this game as the casual collector. It will get public recognition on a global level, and if they liked it (which 90% probably do) Smash 4 can come out, and they will buy right into it.

By then, the competitive scene will come back, and our department can only grow.

It is essentially a swoop and scoop. We swoop in with a premise, and we scoop up as much as we can. Then, we mold the new talent into competitive goliaths in the next game.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Sadly Smash isn't like Guilty Gear or the Street Fighter series where they can get an installment of some sort at least every 6 months, we have to wait 3+ years.

Dabble

Smash Cadet
Sadly Smash isn't like Guilty Gear or the Street Fighter series where they can get an installment of some sort at least every 6 months, we have to wait 3+ years.
That seems like a reasonable chunk of time to collect new heads who are possibly the next best thing.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Are you aware theres a chance there might not even be another Smash Bros?

Brawl exists 'cause of Sakurai. Before he got on the project Nintendo was playing on releasing Melee again with online features. Without Sakurai the next SSB might just be Brawl 1.2

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
this logic just doesnt make any sense

is it all really worth it for ssb4, which may never exist (though it probably will, just not for a long long time)

Dabble

Smash Cadet

Brawl exists 'cause of Sakurai. Before he got on the project Nintendo was playing on releasing Melee again with online features. Without Sakurai the next SSB might just be Brawl 1.2
...I am laughing. I am laughing hard.

Not only did you say something silly in the first sentence, but you went farther to disprove your first sentence by your second remark! lmao.

There might not be a "new" smash bros, but there will be ANOTHER smash bros.

Even if it IS a re-release.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
...I am laughing. I am laughing hard.

Not only did you say something silly in the first sentence, but you went farther to disprove your first sentence by your second remark! lmao.

There might not be a "new" smash bros, but there will be ANOTHER smash bros.

Even if it IS a re-release.
You know Sakurai doesn't work for Nintendo anymore right? And how would a re-release of Brawl be the next Melee?

Dabble

Smash Cadet
You know Sakurai doesn't work for Nintendo anymore right? And how would a re-release of Brawl be the next Melee?
You do know that Sakurai is not god right?

As for smash being something similar to the next Melee, I basically mean that the person in charge of developing the next one, whomever it may be, will probably have a contrasting thought process than Sakurai. That, or they won't be as thorough with the physics, and will sacrifice polishing for content....

THAT is when our AT's will be untouched by the hand of casual minded developers.

It is written in the prophecy you know.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman

As for smash being something similar to the next Melee, I basically mean that the person in charge of developing the next one, whomever it may be, will probably have a contrasting thought process than Sakurai. That, or they won't be as thorough with the physics, and will sacrifice polishing for content....

THAT is when our AT's will be untouched by the hand of casual minded developers.

Hes not god, but Nintendo refused to change anything in Melee without him. Thus without him next SSB would be Brawl again.

Dabble

Smash Cadet
Hes not god, but Nintendo refused to change anything in Melee without him. Thus without him next SSB would be Brawl again.
Bunch of empty promises. There is no way of knowing what they would have done or not. He is freelance, and seeing as how it is Nintendo pulling the strings, they could do whatever it is they felt like.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Bunch of empty promises. There is no way of knowing what they would have done or not. He is freelance, and seeing as how it is Nintendo pulling the strings, they could do whatever it is they felt like.
Freelance? He has his own company :o Don't think that really counts as freelance.

Also, what makes you think that Nintendo will make the next SSB more like Melee? If anything, seeing their recent games, they would makes it even simpler and easy to access.

Best101

Smash Ace
Freelance? He has his own company :o Don't think that really counts as freelance.

Also, what makes you think that Nintendo will make the next SSB more like Melee? If anything, seeing their recent games, they would makes it even simpler and easy to access.
Isn't Melee simple and easy to access?

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
If Brawl fails competitive-wise, I can't see Smash 4 doing much better.

But that's just me. But this is Nintendo, and Sakurai made it clear that his motive was strictly anti-competitive. It almost makes me hope for a new director for the next installment. Almost.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet

First of all, Sakurai is god.

</sarcasm>

Second of all, it's not necessarily Sakurai's mentality, it's all of Nintendo's. Very few Wii games show the level of depth you're looking for, and it's largely because Nintendo, not Sakurai, is intent on appealing to the casual group.

And lastly...sacrifice polish for content? As much as that is undoubtedly what makes a good game nowadays, it's not the way to appeal to the mass market, and that's where the numbers are. Everyone wants shiny, realistic colors, everyone wants cinema scenes and explosions... sure some third parties make killer games by focusing on gameplay instead of graphics, but they rarely sell very well. Look at No More Heroes. When first party developer Nintendo is making a game to showcase their console, they are NOT going to sacrifice polish for content, and they will overrule any attempt to do so.

I really like Brawl, just to give some background. That's neither here nor there tho. My point is that there's no way Nintendo would allow such a major franchise to take such a risky turn down the road. Either they will pay Sakurai exorbitant amounts of cash, or they'll find someone as hilarious as he is to keep making wacky decisions and piss Smashboards off.

6footninja

Smash Ace
That seems like a reasonable chunk of time to collect new heads who are possibly the next best thing.
THis is just silly. We can only strive to be the best we can (speaking for Nintendo). We shouldn't be hoping for a fail. The past experiences with series having one or more "dead" games were not asked for or even anticipated. Thats why they're called LET-DOWNS.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
Having brawl fail competitively would not help the smash community. Some people will keep playing melee but there would not be as many new players and the whole smash franchise would suffer.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman

I think alot of people here would have perfered that if it meant chacter roster update + online play.

The Director

Smash Lord
Brawl will never fail in the competitive scene simply because of it's popularity. As long as there are thousands of Smash fans willing to play against eachother, than there will be a competitive scene.

Saying Brawl won't be competitive is just something all the Fox and Sheik players from Melee are saying to soften the transition from one game to another.

schlepboogie

Smash Apprentice
Suck my ****. This is why you ***gats will never get laid. arguing over competitive and casualists. i mean when it comes down to it.. most of you people do nothing but play smash. thats a completly different group, the virgins. the ones who are not grouped by competitive or casualist. just grouped by the fact that playing smash all the time and chilling on warcraft, will never get you laid.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Suck my ****. This is why you ***gats will never get laid. arguing over competitive and casualists. i mean when it comes down to it.. most of you people do nothing but play smash. thats a completly different group, the virgins. the ones who are not grouped by competitive or casualist. just grouped by the fact that playing smash all the time and chilling on warcraft, will never get you laid.
What does having sex have to do with Brawl at all?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
3 try 6. So far, and my guess is that it will continue this way, Brawl has been a one entry per generation kind of game. So I doubt we'll be seeing a new one anytime soon.

But as for the topic at hand, Brawl will be competative whether you want it to or not. In fact I don't think it could at this point really fail, enough people are already competing.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I actually like Brawl and I see what the OP is getting at.

I like Brawl, but it isn't the game I want entirely, so the if SSB4 was much more technical I would be happy.

Or I could just go play Virtua Fighter.

Kirio

Smash Apprentice
So that when the inevitable Smash 4 comes out (because Nintendo will do it regardless of Sakurai's influence as Iwata pointed out with their initial response to a smashless wii) there will be far more people interested in the game.

Every franchise needs a game where it just falls short. Seeing as how this is a fighter, the competitive scene should not exist for Brawl because it would hinder the newblood from waltzing into the series for the first time. Consider this game as the casual collector. It will get public recognition on a global level, and if they liked it (which 90% probably do) Smash 4 can come out, and they will buy right into it.

By then, the competitive scene will come back, and our department can only grow.

It is essentially a swoop and scoop. We swoop in with a premise, and we scoop up as much as we can. Then, we mold the new talent into competitive goliaths in the next game.
I love your logic.

Instead of having a competitive smash game now AND one later, let's instead wait 6 years for just one with a small increase in the number of players! WOO! Good thinking!

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
3 try 6. So far, and my guess is that it will continue this way, Brawl has been a one entry per generation kind of game. So I doubt we'll be seeing a new one anytime soon.

But as for the topic at hand, Brawl will be competative whether you want it to or not. In fact I don't think it could at this point really fail, enough people are already competing.
People are drawn into Brawl thanks to it's online feature (although really bad at the moment) and the hope that they can break into the competitive scene without having to spend the cash to participate in big tournaments. IMO, I think Brawl is a lot more competitive than Melee ever was thanks to this feature.

Yeah, we pretty much get a new Smash Bros. when Nintendo releases it's next generation console. Which lasts at least five years. But then who knows if Iwata is pulling some strings to get the next smash in beginning stages of development in the next couple of years.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Fat chance. Brawl is already the fastest selling Nintendo game game ever. Think about that for a moment. It's beat out every Mario, Zelda and Pokemon game to date in initial sales. And the critical reviews have scored Brawl higher than Melee.

Oh, and the vast majority of Smash Bros fans just plain like it better.

Don't like the direction Brawl took? Sorry. Smash 4 is going to go in the same direction.

J-man24star

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere, plotting to become dictator of smash w
Why not, instead of complaining about the game, Play it. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, yes. So brawl isn't like melee, who in the whole Universe cares? why care? in fact, i love killing people with little plant people. yes, let's put competitiveness away. Let's play the way nintendo INTENDED it to play. Sakurai wants us to have FUN, yes emphasis on FUN.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
it's true, brawl is not for tournements. it's for fun. and melee is for tournements. let's use melee for tourney, and brawl for fun.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Why not, instead of complaining about the game, Play it. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, yes. So brawl isn't like melee, who in the whole Universe cares? why care? in fact, i love killing people with little plant people. yes, let's put competitiveness away. Let's play the way nintendo INTENDED it to play. Sakurai wants us to have FUN, yes emphasis on FUN.
I have fun playing competitively. A lot more fun than I do playing with stupid *** items and ***balls. Does that mean I am playing the game wrong? I'm playing well within the rules of the game. Dumb****. If he didn't want you to be able to turn items off and not pick stages, all stages played would be random and items would be permanently on.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
it's true, brawl is not for tournements. it's for fun. and melee is for tournements. let's use melee for tourney, and brawl for fun.
You are going to have a hard time convincing new smash players like me to do that. Many people like me only own brawl. It is asking a lot of them to adopt a 6 year old game instead of the new one. Sticking with melee will not encourage many new players to join the competitive community.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
I have fun playing competitively. A lot more fun than I do playing with stupid *** items and ***balls. Does that mean I am playing the game wrong? I'm playing well within the rules of the game. Dumb****. If he didn't want you to be able to turn items off and not pick stages, all stages played would be random and items would be permanently on.
If you have fun playing competitively, you shouldn't be playing SUPER SMASH BROS. It is more than obvious at this point that Sakurai does not intend, nor ever did intend for Smash to be a hardcore technical fighter like Street Fighter. If playing on Final Destination, 1v1 with no items gets you off, then go right ahead and play that way, just don't come crying back to Smashboards when the game fails to have the depth you want out of a competitive fighter.

JusticeWillPrevail

Smash Cadet
Uh ok. First of all what does this have to do with Melee, Brawl, SSB4, or even Smash altogether?
Next, why the hell does this guy show up in threads where people discuss about the competitiveness of Smash and brings up how he is great and everyone who plays smash is a virgin? Seriously the only thing this is proving is that you can tell stories over the internet.

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
i dont want this to happen. mainly because some of the fans on the fan circuit will die off.
im sure NEW competitve forms of fighting will eventually be found. although different this is a different kind of fighter more based on the surroundings rather than the main characters on the stage.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Fat chance. Brawl is already the fastest selling Nintendo game game ever. Think about that for a moment. It's beat out every Mario, Zelda and Pokemon game to date in initial sales. And the critical reviews have scored Brawl higher than Melee.

Don't like the direction Brawl took? Sorry. Smash 4 is going to go in the same direction.
I was going to say something along these lines, but, quite frankly, Wiseguy beat me to the punch.

D

Deleted member

This man is correct. You think Nintendo really cares about the smash community? Nope, not really, just a few numbers on the overall crowd they are trying to appeal to. They care about making money, just like any other company would.

King~

Smash Champion
Why are there one of these topics coming up at least twice aday

i understand that seven years is a long time to be playin a game(i played for 6 off and on)
but you have to move on. or stay behind and catch up eventually.

its not competitve because there are no competitors, just a bunch of people whining about physics and having to work harder to win.

i can tell you know, unless alot of members from this forum become game designers and coders SBB will keep going in an undesireable direction for the so called comeptitve player.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
do you realize "virgin" exactly means: you have never get a male genital inside the female genital. There was another for " you have never put your male genital in a female genital" but i don't remember the word...

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
do you realize "virgin" exactly means: you have never get a male genital inside the female genital or ***. There was another for " you have never put your male genital in a female genital" but i don't remember the word...

so thank for realize the fact that every serious smash player it isn't "virgin".

Top Bottom