• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have an HDtv that has a 4:3 Ratio Option. Is this still unable to do the job?

ZDEG

Smash Cadet
I have a samsung HD, that has a 4:3 ratio option. I've reduced any filters to none, so i was wondering if the frame rate is still affected by even with a changed aspect ratio

red stone

Smash Ace
as long as the TV has a good refresh rate, I don't think that frames per second is affected.

however, if we are talking about input lag, then every new TV whether LCD, OLED, etc has at least 10 millisec. of input lag. Now add that on to whatever conversion time it takes for the TV to handle the analog signal from the gamecube/wii and you have the full lag time.

overall not noticeable for the average gamer, but means a world of difference for a competitive smasher.

Use component cables to reduce the input lag. That makes the TV not have to spend more time deinterlacing the signal to display it

Zodiac

Smash Master
As of right now we don't have a perfect solution to playing smash on an hdtv without any lag. BenQ seems promising but we'll just have to wait.

As of right now we don't have a perfect solution to playing smash on an hdtv without any lag. BenQ seems promising but we'll just have to wait.
The best solution I've seen is an Asus VG248QE with a component cable to HDMI converter. Too bad it costs $270 + $60 just to play it in only 3.9 ms of lag. I haven't tested this myself. I have played on an EVO monitor and it's good. It just doesn't fee like a CRT

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-asus-vg248qe-teil7.html#Reaktionsverhalten
Latency

The latency is an important value for players, we determined as the sum of the signal delay time and half the middle picture change time. The VG248QE shows generally a very short signal delay: at 60 Hz, there are still 1.6 milliseconds at 120 Hz and then 1.2 at 144 Hz even only 0.7.

Also half the average image change time is 2.3 or 1.8 and 1.6 milliseconds by the bank extremely short, thus is fantastic overall latencies yield from 2.3 to 3.9 milliseconds. Even for the most demanding gamers, this is pretty much the ultimate.

Kadano

Magical Express
Component cables can carry both interlaced and progressive video, so be sure to switch into progressive mode as well so that you get the benefits.

Also, the VG248QE might have slightly higher input lag as prad’s research is most probably done with native resolution input. Melee needs to be scaled from 480p to 1080p, which likely takes another 3 ms or so.

Component cables reduce lag some, but it's not enough. It will still lag.
My idea behind recommending component cables was to reduce lag on the particular HDTV the player currently has. Yes, the ideal solution will always be using a CRT. If it's possible to get a CRT and find a way to play on it, a CRT should be gotten and played on. You can find them in thrift stores for cheap

Top Bottom