• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a terrible habit

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
Hello all,
I am contemplating converting to a Sonic main from DDD, and I would have a much easier time making the decision if I didn't have such a bad habit while playing Sonic: I love his up+b. It is so fast and far that I use it for everything I need, especially spacing (spring to head-->lagless dair from on high=lots of room). But this leads to a very hit and run and air heavy game. In addition, it gets tired as does everything when spammed. Aside from the obvious answers like "Um, sheild?" or "How about dodging?" can you guys tell me any other way to help with spacing and dodging while I use Sonic?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Spinshot for horizontal aerial approch/retreat. Try to use your spring as a last resort. To be honest, it's not the spring that brings trouble, it's the dair after is that is easily predicted. Try not to use it sometimes, or use it as you get close to the ground just to mix it up. At your own expense though.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Spinshot for horizontal aerial approch/retreat. Try to use your spring as a last resort. To be honest, it's not the spring that brings trouble, it's the dair after is that is easily predicted. Try not to use it sometimes, or use it as you get close to the ground just to mix it up. At your own expense though.
yeah a good timed spinshot can really help with spacing ur oponent and also to close in on him, and yeah the spring dair can get very predictable after a wile u need to stay unpredictable as Sonic.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Well, really you should be using the spring for chasing and escaping. I would question the advisability of using it as an opener or a starter to an attack.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Do you use it for every single thing? I mean like. Smash attack, up b, dair, up b, fair, up b?

Tenki

Smash Hero
lul

I spring. Alot.

Like when people do Spindash > Homing Attack, I do Spindash > Spring instead lol

Don't always D-air from it. And if you use it, try mixing up forward springs and reverse springs (diagonal-back) so you can do a retreating D-air after setting up or dropping springs (it's actually more useful for baiting attacks or setting up spring shields, cause then it puts the spring between you and your opponent).

Some alternatives while floating down:
- mix up your directions, especially if you're floating above your enemy (like... float toward his front, then when you get in jumping range, float backwards and prepare to airdodge)
- if your opponent starts to approach, fast fall
- move backwards, then do a laggy d-air to bait an attack

Also, some people have a tendency to chase your D-airs. You can interrupt them by doing a jump>reverse spring> instant D-air (it will autocancel if you do a full hop jump first), spacing it so the spring lands on them. Depending on their damage and placement, it will either knock them backwards in hitstun, knock them forward in hitstun, or knock them down.

Also, I'm thinking of making a spring-strategies thread. It's too complicated :[

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
The dair is generally aimed away from the opponent. It's just to get down to the ground faster instead of giving them time to chase me, especially if it's a faster opponent, like Pika or someone who can take the spring and still get under me to juggle.

Do you use it for every single thing? I mean like. Smash attack, up b, dair, up b, fair, up b?
It's less of that and more like dthrow-->sh fair-->down+b-->run away with spring.

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
lul

I spring. Alot.

Like when people do Spindash > Homing Attack, I do Spindash > Spring instead lol

Don't always D-air from it. And if you use it, try mixing up forward springs and reverse springs (diagonal-back) so you can do a retreating D-air after setting up or dropping springs (it's actually more useful for baiting attacks or setting up spring shields, cause then it puts the spring between you and your opponent).

Some alternatives while floating down:
- mix up your directions, especially if you're floating above your enemy (like... float toward his front, then when you get in jumping range, float backwards and prepare to airdodge)
- if your opponent starts to approach, fast fall
- move backwards, then do a laggy d-air to bait an attack

Also, some people have a tendency to chase your D-airs. You can interrupt them by doing a jump>reverse spring> instant D-air (it will autocancel if you do a full hop jump first), spacing it so the spring lands on them. Depending on their damage and placement, it will either knock them backwards in hitstun, knock them forward in hitstun, or knock them down.

Also, I'm thinking of making a spring-strategies thread. It's too complicated :[
Tenki I did not get through to reading your quote when I was posting, but yeah. Spin dash-->jump-->spring retreat? I'm all about that. I was more just concerned with the fact that I was spending so much time flipping around in the air, but I think Sonic's air game is way better/less predictable than his ground game. You should absolutely make a spring strategy thread. This board is starting to get to focused on how glitchy Sonic is. The spring is the best thing to happen to Sonic. We should exploit it more.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Absolutely, but he is still fun.
Yeah hes really Fun And an Intresting Character To Main , Hes Not Just One of those Characters that has 3 to 4 at and u can just practice and get good with ...you really have to get into it and find ur own playstyle to be good .

Top Bottom