• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I guess x-play didn't do their research

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight is obscure. Not everyone who knows Kirby knows Meta Knight, either. I played Dream Land, Dream Land 3, 64, and Canvas Curse, and Meta Knight isn't in any of those. I didn't know who Meta Knight was until seeing his trophy in Melee.
Meta Knight was a hidden character in Canvas Curse

Corin

Smash Lord
You have to realize that you are posting on a message board dedicated to a video game. There are less casual gamers here than you will find in most places. To be obscure to a casual gamer and to be obscure to the average smashboarder are completely different things.

Most casual gamers know who Kirby is, whether or not they've played any Kirby games. He is an iconic, recognizable character. However, unless one has played a Kirby game or has been following Brawl's development, it's unlikely that they have heard of Metaknight. It is not at all ignorant to call him an obscure character.
Though it wasn't incredibly popular, MetaKnight was also in the Kirby cartoon. He really isn't that obscure. Aside from that, metaKnight was one of the most-wanted characters to be put in the game, if I remember correctly. people were rooting for him for Melee.

This thing isn't as bad as when I was watching Video and Arcade Top 10, and they said you could get Captain Olimar as a playable in Melee by putting a memory card with Pikmin data on it into the GC (the way to get the Olimar trophy)

I still remember shouting at the t.v.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Though it wasn't incredibly popular, MetaKnight was also in the Kirby cartoon. He really isn't that obscure. Aside from that, metaKnight was one of the most-wanted characters to be put in the game, if I remember correctly. people were rooting for him for Melee.
Unless you are 10 years old or already a fan of the Kirby series, you will not know that MK was in the Kirby cartoon.

What I said about Smashboarders knowledge of characters holds the same truth for the character polls. The majority of the people voting in those polls were hardcore gamers who know the Kirby series and have heard of characters that most casual gamers haven't. Geno was on that list as well and I would have never heard of him if it weren't for Smashboards. If I were to poll my friends about Geno (which range from casual gamers to hardcore gamers), maybe one or two would know who Geno is. Metaknight being on that list doesn't refute the argument that he is still an obscure character to the casual gamer.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Wow theses guys should never review a game ever again. (or preview) MetaKnight obscure??? ummmmm

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
i love the kid who posted it is calling it a review not a preveiw and getting mad about it lol. how can it be a review if they sont even have the game or any gameplay to review? lol

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Okay, first of all, anyone who thinks it's an insult to a TV show host to say that they read from a teleprompter has no ****ing idea what how TV works.

Second of all, Adam and Morgan DO play games. And relative to Smash Bros. mainstays like DK, Link, and Samus, you've gotta admit that Meta Knight IS fairly obscure.

Third, ****, playable Don Flamenco would be ****ing awesome.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I try to Ignore X-play to the best of my ability as the writers on the show are for the most part brain dead Morgan Web and Adam Sesler outside of X-play seem like very level headed intelligent people while hosting the show they just open their mouths and the **** comes flying out in the form of bad writing. Hell Adam said himself that he was looking forward to play as Metaknight on AOTS so it's my impression that they are just doing that show for the pay check any not because it matches their opinions.

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Meta-Knight is kind of obscure...but not any more than Ness, Captain Falcon, Roy, Marth, G&W, etc. So the stupid part is that Adam is implying that the previous Smash games didn't have obscure characters... And that he compares MK to a random Punch-Out fighter...he's definetely more famous than that...

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
As someone who has never played a Kirby game, I never heard of Metaknight or Dedede before coming to Smash Boards. I do know who Don Flamenco, Piston Honda, Soda Popinski, and other random Punch Out characters are. It really depends on the audience. They're all obscure in their own way.

Yes. Metaknight is somewhat obscure. Why are you getting worked up about it?

And, as someone else has posted, Pikmin and Pokemon sound similar. It's a simple mistake that can be made while multitasking on a live program.
yeah but the same goes for any game, most people have never heard of pit before, I thought he was called kid icarus, and most people don't know any starfox people, there are too many pokemon to number, and wario is just as obscure. so saying metaknight is obscure is the same as saying that to most characters that are not the main characters in their games.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
To clear things up in this thread,
1. this video is more of a preview than a review (of course)
2. It is also pretty old
3. Its just to show more people messing up with brawl info
4. metaknight should not be considered old if there are so many characters just or more obscure than him (only counting the ones known back then because it will shut more people up)

: pit, marth, roy, mewtwo, pichu, wario, dr. mario, zamus, falco, G&W, shiek, ice climber, captian falcon, ness, gannondorf(cause he was in only like 3 games out of the entire franchise)...

5. X-PLAY not the hosts, the writers are more responsible for their mistakes.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
yeah but the same goes for any game, most people have never heard of pit before, I thought he was called kid icarus, and most people don't know any starfox people, there are too many pokemon to number, and wario is just as obscure. so saying metaknight is obscure is the same as saying that to most characters that are not the main characters in their games.
G4 is not for hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers have magicbox pop up on their tabbed homepages, they check dojo daily, and they've played every Kirby game down to the incompletely working emulation of "Kirby bakubaku densetsu bakuhatsu shimasu 64DD."

G4 is a TV station, aimed at collegiate aged casual gamers. At my old university it was a pretty heavy staple on one of the two big screen TVs in the student lounge. The other staple was BET. Hip hop, and news on games people would play in groups, to goof off. That's all they were looking for: Soulja Boy and news about the new Gears of War. Maybe Olivia Munn's ****.

Madden, Halo, (Insert Fighter of the week, be it Def Jam, Naruto, Tekken or KoF), and Smash fit into this category of games.

Kirby did not. Get over it. They also don't know who Katt Monroe, Pico, Drybones, Vaati, Sylux or Lloyd are, either. They're just not into the games that much, and that's ok.

I'm sure if any of us were to watch HGTV, we wouldn't notice the glaring errors in their scrapbooking features. But we're not 40-something housewives, so it's copacetic.

I hate to say this gamer to gamer, but... get a ****ing life, guys.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
What does the video being old have to do with anything? Did Metaknight get more recognition in the 90s/early 00s in their eyes in between now and that comment? Metaknight is as obscure to the Kirby franchise as Wario is to the Mario franchise.

CFalcon1219

Smash Rookie
I was nearly fuming out of my head when they were actually playing a match together and the smash ball showed up and they made no effort to get it. I'm pretty sure they had no idea what it did. They showed no reaction to it either. =\

just shows who actually plays games

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Yes but G4 is a TV station dedicated to tech and games, i doubt a very casual person would be watching that much, and really metaknight is in most kirby games, especially the new ones which noobs start first playing.

And once again, I know this video is old, get over it, its not like it is brand new footage or something.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Oh ho, you guys seriously believe that before Brawl, Meta Knight was a common name outside Nintendo fanboys? Though of course he isnt THAT obscure, he appears in most recent Kirby games...

But he really wasnt as recognizable as most here think he is.

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
X-Play has been known to be a unreliable source. They are bias, they rate games they favor higher without practically playing more than 2 hours of it, and all games that are practically Asian of origin, they have a problem with or have something ridicoulous to say about it. You're simply ignorant to watch the show, let alone believe in their ratings. If you do, you're being mislead... ALOT.

Qlink

Smash Apprentice
Soon smash will have 100's of characters like dragon ball Z games that are playable...soon you could be master hand...Or even be a pencil pokeing everyone

Or soon...smash bros will have all 400 pokemon or whatever as playabe...

Still brawl will be awsome. Just dont include 100;s of characters

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
X-Play has been known to be a unreliable source. They are bias, they rate games they favor higher without practically playing more than 2 hours of it, and all games that are practically Asian of origin, they have a problem with or have something ridicoulous to say about it. You're simply ignorant to watch the show, let alone believe in their ratings. If you do, you're being mislead... ALOT.
Wrong. They actually tend to like a lot of video games with asian origins. I'm not exactly sure what show you're watching but you must have missed all the episodes where they've expressed how much they're getting tired of world war games and how much they like okami.

Okay, first of all, anyone who thinks it's an insult to a TV show host to say that they read from a teleprompter has no ****ing idea what how TV works.

Second of all, Adam and Morgan DO play games. And relative to Smash Bros. mainstays like DK, Link, and Samus, you've gotta admit that Meta Knight IS fairly obscure.

Third, ****, playable Don Flamenco would be ****ing awesome.
Not sure if this was directed at me, considering I mentioned teleprompters, but if so, I never said anything was wrong with teleprompters. Pretty much every talk show uses it so it's not like it's uncommon among tv shows. I was correcting the other guys comment about "cue cards."

I was nearly fuming out of my head when they were actually playing a match together and the smash ball showed up and they made no effort to get it. I'm pretty sure they had no idea what it did. They showed no reaction to it either. =\

just shows who actually plays games
Why would you assume they don't know what it did? The smash ball is the whole center point of Brawl. I assure you they know what it does. They're not stupid. It's more likely that they chose to ignore it so that they could continue with what they were discussing and showing off the actual fighting part rather than be interrupted by the final smash animation.

And lol there's 400 now? I lost count at 200 something... and yet I somehow still find enjoyment from the games....

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
Wrong. They actually tend to like a lot of video games with asian origins. I'm not exactly sure what show you're watching but you must have missed all the episodes where they've expressed how much they're getting tired of world war games and how much they like okami.

Not sure if this was directed at me, considering I mentioned teleprompters, but if so, I never said anything was wrong with teleprompters. Pretty much every talk show uses it so it's not like it's uncommon among tv shows. I was correcting the other guys comment about "cue cards."

Why would you assume they don't know what it did? The smash ball is the whole center point of Brawl. I assure you they know what it does. They're not stupid. It's more likely that they chose to ignore it so that they could continue with what they were discussing and showing off the actual fighting part rather than be interrupted by the final smash animation.
So basically you think X-Play is a good source of information for games? Lol'd.

lengeta

Smash Ace
(only read the first post)
MetaKnight has a HUGE fanbase. I'd dare say more people like him than Dedede and even Kirby himself.

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
gannondorf(cause he was in only like 3 games out of the entire franchise)...

had to correct this in the OP.

He's been in the following games as an actual character in the central plot.

Zelda(NES)
Zelda II (NES)-the whole game is about trying to keep him dead.
Zelda LTTP
Zelda Links Awakening (you fight his shadow at the end as a dream. Too complicated to explain now for me.)
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Oracles of Ages/Seasons
Zelda WInd Waker
Zelda Four Swords Adventure
Zelda Twilight Princess

that's 10/14 zelda games. The philips games also incorporated him, but those were just rediculous.

Refering to Ganondorf as an obscure Video Game Villain is the equivalent of saying there aren't enough 20's in Bill Gates' Shredder.

Kinsei_Kensei

Smash Apprentice
I feel X-Play is a reliable source for the common gamer. I mean, hardcore gamers will pretty much know the truth about the game or genre the like but a noob or even a long time player who isn't all that well versed on gaming knowledge really benefits form the show. I personally love watching X-Play! I take most of the reviews seriously but if there's a game I really want to play, and they give it like a 2/5, I'll still play the game to see for myself.

But about the PREVIEW (not review) of Brawl they gave, you have to understand they were going on the little info they had at the time. Meta Knight is a bit obscure to those who aren't familiar with the Kirby franchise. Everyone pretty much knows about Wario because alot of people know about Wario but Kirby is less popular.

And about the semi-review they gave (the one with the "Pokemon Chain")...well, we all make mistakes. I mean, it sounded like they we're too preoccupied with playing the game rather than reviewing it so they probably got their words mixed up. pikmin does sound alot like Pokemon if you aren't think of what you're saying. Let's just hope they're more informed for the REAL review.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Quick question did anyone know
Ice climbers
Pit
Game and watch(bad example)
Captain Falcon
or Lucas
Before smash

maybe 1 or 2 but smash has generated their status

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
had to correct this in the OP.

He's been in the following games as an actual character in the central plot.

Zelda(NES)
Zelda II (NES)-the whole game is about trying to keep him dead.
Zelda LTTP
Zelda Links Awakening (you fight his shadow at the end as a dream. Too complicated to explain now for me.)
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Oracles of Ages/Seasons
Zelda WInd Waker
Zelda Four Swords Adventure
Zelda Twilight Princess

that's 10/14 zelda games. The philips games also incorporated him, but those were just rediculous.

Refering to Ganondorf as an obscure Video Game Villain is the equivalent of saying there aren't enough 20's in Bill Gates' Shredder.
you mean GANON, not ganondorf, you never play as ganon in melee

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
As bad as G4 is in general, X-Play doesn't deserve the flak it gets. Adam and Morgan are the two people on the station who are actually pretty funny and likable. The rest of the shows definitely suffer from ultra-forced edginess and overacting hosts but X-Play ain't bad at all, and hey, their reviews are usually spot on and their 5-star rating system is as good as it gets.

But yeah, Meta Knight super obscure? No, not really. Who knows what they were thinking with that.
Funny and likable? That made me lol.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
So basically you think X-Play is a good source of information for games? Lol'd.
lol so basically you don't know how to read what you're quoting?

actually I don't think X-Play deserves all the hate it gets because it is in no way a bad gaming source and they do have many accurate reviews. No, they are in no way the best either but they aren't bad. So sue me. *shrug*

Mama

Smash Ace
Quick question did anyone know
Ice climbers
Pit
Game and watch(bad example)
Captain Falcon
or Lucas
Before smash

maybe 1 or 2 but smash has generated their status
I didn't know G&W or Lucas. (out of that list) but I had this cartridge with a ton of old NES and SNES games on it (and a disc for Dreamcast) and I used to play Ice Climbers a lot lol.

I didn't know Marth or Roy either.

But on topic, its reasons like that that I stopped watching G4 all together. They were starting to become the Mtv of the video game scene. (in other words having nothing to do with what they were intended )

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I knew why MetaKnight was, but never knew his name. When i see the trailer I was like "OH! That dude!"

I also seen Pit and was like "I heard that name before, can't remember from where"

I am happy with G4 besides some of their lame skits, I trust them with reviews with my own opinion of course.

-Onyx

orintemple

Smash Lord
Television fails most of the time as a whole anyway. Plus I don't trust reviews, they don't know me or my preferences. Also, read off teleprompter moar plox.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I didn't know half the characters before smash, like Samus, i never played metroid before smash and when the first one came, i was always, "I'm going to play as Same-us" and when someone paused the game once while samus was being electrocuted, i was all like "OMG wtf Same-us is a girl?!?!" or Yoshi. I guess that some characters can really get famous to certain people once they played them in smash, despite their franchise.

Top Bottom