• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I guess x-play didn't do their research

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Just a funny video of x-play reviewing brawl

"...is it just us, or is Nintendo starting to dig a bit too deep into their back catalog of obscure characters. I mean Metaknight from the Kirby series?!?! Why not just throw in Don Flamanco from Punch-Out..."

failing to mention that Sakurai (nearly?) invented the Kirby series and that Metaknight has been in almost more games than De De De

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64no4XR1Lcs&feature=related

1. this video is a preview not a review (of course)
2. It is also pretty old
3. Its just to show more people messing up with brawl info
4. metaknight should not be considered old if there are so many characters just or more obscure than him (only counting the ones known back then because it will shut more people up)

: pit, marth, roy, mewtwo, pichu, wario, dr. mario, zamus, falco, G&W, shiek, ice climber, captian falcon, ness, gannondorf(cause he was in only like 3 games out of the entire franchise)...

5. X-PLAY, not the hosts. The writers are more responsible for their mistakes.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
X-Play reviewed Brawl already?

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman

"...is it just us, or is Nintendo starting to dig a bit too deep into their back catalog of obscure characters. I mean Metaknight from the Kirby series?!?! Why not just throw in Don Flamanco from Punch-Out..."

failing to mention that Sakurai (nearly?) invented the Kirby series and that Metaknight has been in almost more games than De De De
They're just morons. Everyone is a moron sometimes, but some people are more than others.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Have you forgotten:

"Olimar can reach down and pluck some pokemon."
"You have the option of switching between 3 different pikmin."

They don't know games, they just couldn't get on a real tv station, so they show up to G4, wear "gamer" clothes, and read the prompter.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How is Meta Knight obscure?
Thats the point. Remember kids, never trust X-Play, as they are idiots.

I dunno, do they KNOW who's ship that is that the game focuses on so much? I'd bet not.

Idiots on X-play..

And yeah, I remember that G4 commercial. Idiots.

The woman talked about "Aw man, these are my Pikmin! My Pikmin! dont mess with my Pikmin."

Later on in their match "Ok, that was my Pokemon chain." wtf???

Zodiac

Smash Master

That was from the premire of brawl, and sessler was trying to find a way to make fun of brawl.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
Honestly, Metaknight is rather obscure. We don't find him to be in the Nintendo universe but compared to everything else there's only a few major characters in Smash known outside of longtime Nintendo fans.

X-Play knows their stuff. More so than IGN or Gamespot think they do.

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
That's pretty stupid. X-play's pretty lame most of the time, I wouldn't pay attention to their crap.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
X-Play isn't as bad as people try to make them seem. Their mistakes with the Pikmin and Pokemon are pretty easy to make considering they sound very similar and the fact that they were juggling playing and showing off the game while trying to host a tv show and making sure they stay on track with time and subject for the show.

As far as the MK thing goes, I don't know. MK isn't exactly "obscure", true. Either way, X-Play tends to give good reviews a lot of the time and their 5/5 rating scale works very well. Whenever they've recommended a game, I've never found myself disappointed in it so that's something. My own opinion, of course.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, unless your a hardcore Kirby fan or you have a knowledge of Nintendo franchises that is beyond most public recognition...

you wouldn't know who Metaknight is.

Keep in mind that Smash fans are fanatics. But MK isn't one of those characters that everyone knows. You can't flame someone for calling him obscure, because he is - even if he is awesome. At least after Brawl most players will know who he is, much like Ness and other characters who were casual no-names until Smash made them famous.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
(Space_bar_is_broken)

I_didn't_know_who_the_hell_Pit_was_until_Brawl.

Additionaly,_anyone_who_has_played_a_Kirby_game_with_Meta_Knight_in_it_should_know_who_he_is.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
As bad as G4 is in general, X-Play doesn't deserve the flak it gets. Adam and Morgan are the two people on the station who are actually pretty funny and likable. The rest of the shows definitely suffer from ultra-forced edginess and overacting hosts but X-Play ain't bad at all, and hey, their reviews are usually spot on and their 5-star rating system is as good as it gets.

But yeah, Meta Knight super obscure? No, not really. Who knows what they were thinking with that.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
First of all this is not a review. Second of all from their language this was before any1 knew the official release date. Its not them not doing their research its u guys not looking at when the vid was posted.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Really, do you think that obscure characters from punch-out, and other games,are more well known than one of the only 3 possible Kirby reps. Kirby does only have Kirby MK and DDD. Besides, metaknight is in almost every new kirby game, much more well known than pit or G&W

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
You're an idiot.
This isn't a review.
This came out nearly TWO YEARS AGO AFTER E3 06.

spindash

Smash Ace

Good god. They = ********. -_-;

If you want obscure? Look at R.O.B.

Obscure but iconic. But Meta Knight is one of the most recognizable Kirby characters OUT there. I still wonder why I bother with X-Play sometimes.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace

Good god. They = ********. -_-;

If you want obscure? Look at R.O.B.

Obscure but iconic. But Meta Knight is one of the most recognizable Kirby characters OUT there. I still wonder why I bother with X-Play sometimes.
This might help you:

"THIS VIDEO IS TWO FREAKING YEARS OLD."

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Like I said, this game would hardly be called a review but i guess thats what xplay thought they did.
also i guess its pretty old, still it shows how dumb xplay can be sometimes, like mixing pikmen and pokemon.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
The video isnt a review..they are just showing brawl off from e3..just look when the video was added on youtube. Also they obviously dont know what they are talking about =\

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
That Vid Is 2 Years Old It Is Not A Review It Is More Of A Really Old Preview

Caps Is Necessary

lol crap I got beat to the punch :(

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Really, do you think that obscure characters from punch-out, and other games,are more well known than one of the only 3 possible Kirby reps. Kirby does only have Kirby MK and DDD. Besides, metaknight is in almost every new kirby game, much more well known than pit or G&W
As someone who has never played a Kirby game, I never heard of Metaknight or Dedede before coming to Smash Boards. I do know who Don Flamenco, Piston Honda, Soda Popinski, and other random Punch Out characters are. It really depends on the audience. They're all obscure in their own way.

Yes. Metaknight is somewhat obscure. Why are you getting worked up about it?

And, as someone else has posted, Pikmin and Pokemon sound similar. It's a simple mistake that can be made while multitasking on a live program.

spindash

Smash Ace
This might help you:

"THIS VIDEO IS TWO FREAKING YEARS OLD."
I know it was two years old. :p It still doesn't help that they should know what the heck they are talking about. Meta Knight is far from an obscure character in the Kirby series.

I don't blame them for the latest one with the "Pokémon Chain" or "My three Pikmin", because of the circumstances with explaining a video game and playing it at the same time, since they are trying to offer information for the public via television.

However, it's still kinda...just...good lord. ^^;;; Meta Knight being obscure? Anyone who knows Kirby, knows Meta Knight & King Dedede at the least; at least that's what I've found. Once again, sometimes I wonder, but it's because of the ignorant things like that Meta Knight thing.

Meh; regardless, I'll check out their review on the game to pass the time when it comes out.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
However, it's still kinda...just...good lord. ^^;;; Meta Knight being obscure? Anyone who knows Kirby, knows Meta Knight & King Dedede at the least; at least that's what I've found. Once again, sometimes I wonder, but it's because of the ignorant things like that Meta Knight thing.
You have to realize that you are posting on a message board dedicated to a video game. There are less casual gamers here than you will find in most places. To be obscure to a casual gamer and to be obscure to the average smashboarder are completely different things.

Most casual gamers know who Kirby is, whether or not they've played any Kirby games. He is an iconic, recognizable character. However, unless one has played a Kirby game or has been following Brawl's development, it's unlikely that they have heard of Metaknight. It is not at all ignorant to call him an obscure character.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
i remember seeing this back in 06....it's cool to see it again, i saw that before i saw the first trailer

Arteen

Smash Lord
Meta Knight is obscure. Not everyone who knows Kirby knows Meta Knight, either. I played Dream Land, Dream Land 3, 64, and Canvas Curse, and Meta Knight isn't in any of those. I didn't know who Meta Knight was until seeing his trophy in Melee.

Top Bottom