• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Got My Video Games Taken Away

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Well the reason I ask is because it's a common issue in the schools. Teachers that don't know what they're doing are frequently hired, and students slip through the cracks if they are too well behaved for the teachers to care if they're learning in their class or not.

Parents don't just do that to an only child. They do it because they love you. But parents frequently don't understand what is really going on in a child's school. And it's often because the school systems are getting progressively worse.

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
Oh really? i really only dislike one of my teachers, she is very disorganized. She has lost my homerwork multiple times in her huge folder she carries around and has given me big fat ZEROS on all of them.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Oh really? i really only dislike one of my teachers, she is very disorganized. She has lost my homerwork multiple times in her huge folder she carries around and has given me big fat ZEROS on all of them.
I had the same dilemma with a teacher once. I ended up making him grade them as soon as I gave them to him. If your problems are with just the teachers being stupid, discuss it with them after school or something. They have no right to give you a bad grade because of their faults.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Photocopy all your work so that they cant do that. When you have copies your teacher cant pull a fast one on you, they'll try though.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Infact I bet if I do that, they might let me play a little bit over Christmas break. I'll tell them to think of it as a present from them to me.
They better let you play over Christmas break. If not, I will write a signed letter for you saying that you have become depressed lately, and that the school thinks that excessive restrictions at home are hindering your learning and development.

I'm totally serious. They will comply.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Get over it.

They are your parents. They know what's best for you. No idea how old you even are, but I am guessing young. So deal with it until you can move out.
Not sure if anyone else has pointed out yet (I haven't finished reading the topic) but this way of thinking is incredibly old fashioned. Your parents do not necessarily know what's best for you. They're just human.

But this isn't the time or place for this sort of discussion.

On topic: Just get your grades up, getting all Bs and some As shouldn't be that difficult if you just focus a *tiny* bit. Highschool/middleschool isn't as difficult as you think; once you hit post-secondary education, you'll realize this.

Edit: Typos

Jammer

Smash Lord
Your parents do not necessarialy know what's best for you. They're just human.
Totally agreed. But I would say in this case, there is a 95% chance the parents are doing the right thing, as long as they aren't going overboard with their restrictions.

For example, sometimes my parents say I can't do anything until I finish a paper. I will sit at the computer all day long, unable to write a single sentence because I always get a brain block when that happens, with them coming in every five minutes to check on me. But not being able to finish the paper just makes them angrier.

And my parents make me go to bed at 11:30 every night no matter how awake I am. I never fall asleep until after 4:00am, but do they care? No. It doesn't bother them that I spend 4 hours lying awake in bed every night, trying to calm down my thoughts and being incredibly bored. They're sound asleep, so they couldn't care less.

And they do this because they "care" about me. As if controlling my life and yelling at me was the only way to be a good parent. It would be nice if they showed a little love and understanding once in a while, you know?

Heh. I said a lot more than I thought I was going to. Hopefully this way I can say some stuff out loud without anyone noticing...

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
@Jammer:
I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's human to stay up that late. O_O You might just be indicating a time when you were nervous, had lots of sugar, or something. Whatever it is, I suggest that for one night, try to go to sleep earlier than your parents want you to and see when you fall asleep. Experiment with time, you've got lots of it. :)

Jammer

Smash Lord
Kio, I shall direct you to this thread.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm at the point where I have all the advice I can get, and none of it helps.

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's hard for you to fall asleep because your under a lot of stress, I know this is true for me when I'm trying to fall asleep the night before i have a tennis tournament or a final exam, Worst case scenario I just end up taking some nyquil (no idea if i spelled that right) to make me fall alseep.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Just last week my parents decided to take away my video games. They didn't tell me if I can get them back. This included my wii, gamecube, DS, GBA, and my retro Game-Boy Original. They claim it's "distracting me from my school work". OK ya, maybe I play a little to much, but i don't think this is going to motivate me to get better grades (That's what they are hoping it will do) I used to play smash bros. for about 2 hours a day and Counter Strike on my comp. for about half an hour. I was getting 3 A's 2 B's and a C. I don't think that's that bad....well for me it kinda is. But i really want my smash bros. back! How can i convince them to give me just my Wii back? I'm not sure if I can pull my grades up that much, but I think I can get rid of the C. I thought maybe some fellow smashers could help a poor chap out, got any advice?
They are using a behaviorist approach to attempt to get you to do better in school. You even admit in this post that you are playing too many video games and not doing as well as you could in school.

I'm a behavioral assistant for a major healthcare provider and I just went over this with a parent today who's kid has a hard time going to school. I told her to take away his video games as they are a privledge and not a right.

I'm sure your parents did not take them away for good and I am sure that if you get better grades and learn how to manage your time better you will get them back. As much as it sucks, your parents are making the right decision for you.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I think you should bring up your grades first. School is the most important thing you will ever have in your life. Don't ever forget that.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think you should bring up your grades first. School is the most important thing you will ever have in your life. Don't ever forget that.
Not technically. Every day the average student forgets 40% of what they learned in school every day.

Also wouldn't you get your games back on christmas? I mean, it is christmas.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
Just last week my parents decided to take away my video games. They didn't tell me if I can get them back. This included my wii, gamecube, DS, GBA, and my retro Game-Boy Original. They claim it's "distracting me from my school work". OK ya, maybe I play a little to much, but i don't think this is going to motivate me to get better grades (That's what they are hoping it will do) I used to play smash bros. for about 2 hours a day and Counter Strike on my comp. for about half an hour. I was getting 3 A's 2 B's and a C. I don't think that's that bad....well for me it kinda is. But i really want my smash bros. back! How can i convince them to give me just my Wii back? I'm not sure if I can pull my grades up that much, but I think I can get rid of the C. I thought maybe some fellow smashers could help a poor chap out, got any advice?
this is soooo the same situation im in,yet i nearly fail'ed school last year,my mom started doing this since 6th grade

just do your school FOR your games back

now im doing nearly perfect now,my gpa is 3.66, really your parents are trying to help,just accept it,do your school work, and focus on it,never get behind,"stay with the flow of the water,never get ahead, or behind,"

just focus on your work,games arent that important than your life,just ask your mom if you can play game ONLY on weekends,thats what i do,i understand the situation

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
I wish my parents were like yours =\

I'm spoiled big time. All my parents want is for me to pass and go to college. I've never had honor roll and I'm failing for the first time this year(Junior year, APUSH) but that's just one course. My parents never grounded me before either XD

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
Also wouldn't you get your games back on christmas? I mean, it is christmas.
That's exactly what I'm crossing my fingers for, but they are REALLY mad. It's been a few days since i started this thread, and things have not improved that much. My grades haven't dropped or risen, even though I am trying my hardest right now. they are continuing to not allow me to play video games OR see friends outside of school now. Eh, im not even allowed to have friends over for homework help. i guess they took away friends too because they thought they were distracting me from school work too, but I like hanging out with my friends T_T

I want my friends back more than video games though, so I'll try to ask for that back first when i pull my grades up. Friends are uber-important to me....Thanks again for help guys.

AzureKiteSky

Smash Cadet
Well I guess I am pretty young, only 16. But video games used to be like...my 2nd favorite hobby (behind tennis). And i just don't like the fact that they can take away something that is so important to me. Thanks for all the advice though everyone. I'm sure things will turn around eventually. i'm sure I can bring up my Math grade (best subject), from a B to an A. Infact I bet if I do that, they might let me play a little bit over Christmas break. I'll tell them to think of it as a present from them to me.
Well, to start, you are NOT sixteen, you are in my year (freshmen year) but yes, keep up the homework thing. lol. also, I'm glad to see I'm apparantly "uber-important"

P.S. Did I tell you? I'm trying out Mewtwo for fun now.

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
Well, to start, you are NOT sixteen, you are in my year (freshmen year) but yes, keep up the homework thing. lol. also, I'm glad to see I'm apparantly "uber-important"

P.S. Did I tell you? I'm trying out Mewtwo for fun now.
OH mate...you know I'm having a hard time. But truly I would expect maybe a little more respect from you at school k? There's a reason I didn't go to school today....

It's also uber-awkward saying those things on a public board, I just realized that...I'll PM you.

Top Bottom