• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i dont no if you guys are going to be happy about this but....

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
here is something that mew2king thinks from playing brawl he ways a pro marth player in melee....

marth - really good, but gets camped easily, but otherwise super good

toon link - long bair combos, potentially dair OHKO (unlikely to be used), fast grapple, back throw sends at dumb angle, all his moves have good damage, range, and power, and he combos well and can camp super well with all 3 projectiles, and his recovery is amazing.

olimar - chain grab (dunno how escapable it is), super campy, super long shield grab, good range/power/speed combination overall, weakness is recovery (just edge hog him)

pit - super campy, strong bair kills around 100% or very low 100s usually, good overall at damage/speed and has good priority too.

any order

i could be way off, but this is my guess for what top tiers might evolve into

this thread isn't important, i just wanna see how accurate i am in a year from now

also i main marth and DeDeDe so far, I like them the most.

Olimar is extremely broken in like everything cept that his recovery is garbage and easily gets edge hogged, otherwise he's super good when he's not gimped off the stage.

Also guys, Ike is good, if you think otherwise you need to play Azen online. I'm not telling his FC cuz I don't think he wants to give it out, but if you can find another way to play him online and get destoryed then please try it.

THIS REALLY SUCKS PEOPLE MIGHT ONLY USE OLI B/C HE IS TOP TEIR.

Discuss.

topic proof
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=146119

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Its upsetting and awesome at the same time. Its like when our favorite bands turns mainstream and everyone starts to like them. Its a little idiotic to feel this way though. =/

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Its a little idiotic to feel this way though. =/
Basically, it's not cool to have a top tier character as a favorite because then it looks like you're selling out to top tiers when really you just wanted to play as your favorite character.

Ooh, and something that I can't help but saying...face to anyone who yelled at me in the "Issues with Olimar's Pikmin Recovery" thread for saying that "easily gimpable recovery is Olimar's weakness" and he'd be overpowered if it wasn't so. Of course, I'm mostly speaking to one un-named individual and not everyone here, but the significance of the above statement is all the same.

FreeLance_FoX

Smash Rookie
Oh man, I feel EXACTLY the same way. Considering that my past main was always Fox, I always felt like a jerk using him since he's so mainstream. I honestly hope that, while I want Olimar to succeed, that he somehow stays below top tier. I love Olimar WAY too much to see him bandwagoned into oblivion.

[ With all the other new characters I'm really surprised that Olimar is getting this much hype... some of them are just THAT good. ]

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I am prettu sire that Olimar will be top tier. But those are only Mew2King's impressions and opinions. I live only an hour away from Mew2King, I talk to him over AIM. He said thats only his opinion and he likes melee more. But im still looking forward for Olimar.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Haha it may be unfortunate as far as "not selling out" goes, but honestly thats a pretty dumb argument, especially since anyone reading this right now obviously has liked Oli since before he was guessed top teir by the first "reputable" source. M2K was unreal as SSBM, who knows if he'll have the same status in SSBB though, we are just more inclined to believe him because of past performance, honestly his list could be as good as any of the other random ones put up every day. Anyway, I'd much rather Oli be good anyhow, this way not only is he our favorite but also a very solid competitor, someone you can play/enjoy for more than just having fun. I mean in SSBM would you rather love mewtwo but compete with fox? Or have peach as your favorite and compete with her?

On a side note, what chain grab is M2K talking about? I don't think its the textbook combo, as M2K wouldn't mention an escapable combo as Oli's first selling point...

-True

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh lawd. Please dont be top tier Oli. We loved you anyway. BEFORE you were cool to everyone.

but of course, like it's been said many times in this thread and others, we, the Pikmen, will just be looked upon as bandwagoners to Oli's sucess. Please dont be top tier.

Be high tier please. Be good to those who love you for the awesome spaceman-who-throws-sentient-vegetables you are!!

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I mean in SSBM would you rather love mewtwo but compete with fox? Or have peach as your favorite and compete with her?
I'd rather love who I play.

You may not recall, but I've got tournament going friends from Melee who would see they were up against a Samus and literally say "Alright, free pass to the next round". I mained and competed with Samus in Melee because Samus was my favorite character. Sure the disadvantage lost me several matches but it wins you a lot more respect.

So while it really doesn't matter to me what tier Olimar is, I'm kinda hoping he's upper-middle tier. Almost good enough to be tournament worthy.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
One thing I'd like to add is that gimpability has never before been criteria for lowering someone on the tier list - Falco and Falcon are both pretty darn far up there. A few characters are only as high up as they are because of their recovery (Jiggs, Samus...) but even they have something else which makes them deserving.

Cinder

Smash Master
It's a shame Oli's gonna be used for his skill, but I've been through it before...you don't think I chose to main Falco in Melee because he was top tier, do you? I'd been using him since before I knew there WAS a tier list XD...so I don't care why other people main Olimar...all I know is that I'm maining him because he's unique, and I like him as a character...and besides, the Pikmin games were teh R0x0RZ XD...

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Its upsetting and awesome at the same time. Its like when our favorite bands turns mainstream and everyone starts to like them. Its a little idiotic to feel this way though. =/
True that. I'm tempted to put "I was an Olimar main before being an Olimar main was cool" in my sig.

Oh well. After years of having my Mario and Donkey Kong trounced by my Marth, Sheik and Peach maining friends I can now look forward to being at the top of the food chain.

Faolmor

Smash Rookie
I don't mind when people use the same character as you but I really hate the tiers being used as excuses etc... Olimar was one of the first I started to use and now play almost exclusively with him due to the enjoyment I get out of his playstyle and also still being able to perform and when people start assuming the only reason I use him or saying the only reason they lost was because of his position on the "tiers" it really annoys me...

Hammydude

Smash Rookie
The fact that omilar is a top tier doesn't bother me at all. Tons of people are going to play with him, and that means that tons of people are going to play poorly with him. That encourages new players to give up on him and move to another character. So sure! go for omilar! lets see how far you get :)

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I don't mind when people use the same character as you but I really hate the tiers being used as excuses etc...
-sigh-

Tiers exist and high tiers win matches. Players of much lower skill can compete with better players if the worser player uses a high-tiered character. Consider all the no-names who could best Taj with Shiek; I've seen many a sub-par Marth give Pacman more trouble then they could ever be worth; how about that Fox player who ran around and Usmashed you the ENTIRE match, or that Peach who CCDsmashed absolutely every attack you threw out? I don't mind when people want to play a high tier character who is their favorite, or a high tier in general - I like the challange of figuring out how to fight a losing - but don't dare go saying that tiers don't have an impact because they most certainly do.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Another general consensus from a general brawl thread however is that the the overall difference in advantage from the top of the tier list to the bottom will not be as large in Brawl as it was before. It makes sense that this is certainly true for these early stages of almost any game, nobody knows any techniques or fighting styles well enough to really separate characters much. I realize trying to predict this is even more of a guess than tier lists right now, but its at least hopeful. A more balanced game overall would make for far more competative worthy characters, and even then the high tier ones wouldn't have too big an advantage that can be used over the others. Just wishful thinking perhaps...

-True

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I would imagine that the characters (all of them) are more balanced. Sakurai and whatever else dev team should have learned from SSBM and what became of it in tournaments. And I'd also like to note that in the recent interview with Sakurai at the GDC '08 at IGN, he stated that any character can beat any character. I'd get the quote but I'm on my Wii right now. I believe the question was if he had a favorite character. It's pretty vague right now but I believe it was in the last part of the interview. I don't exactly remember what he said but I got the lasting impression that all the characters seemed balanced and despite who you pick you can still be a good player. I don't have Brawl yet but I'd love for these tiers to go away.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Tiers will never go away, there will always be more popular characters at tournies resulting in tiers. We may have a shallower tier list that doesn't mean as much, but there will always be a tier list. I was so interested in oli when the dojo announced him because he is such a unique character. After hearing how good he is though, more people will be using him, making him less unique. I think I'll concentrate on someone else for the time being.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Tiers will never go away, there will always be more popular characters at tournies resulting in tiers. We may have a shallower tier list that doesn't mean as much, but there will always be a tier list. I was so interested in oli when the dojo announced him because he is such a unique character. After hearing how good he is though, more people will be using him, making him less unique. I think I'll concentrate on someone else for the time being.
It's an odd situation. When one says that they won't play a certain character because they're popular, what exactly is that individual saying about how they live their life? Do they live their life by being a non-conformist, and/or are they so self-conscious that they don't want to be mixed in with a certain group of people? In the end, as someone has most likely already mentioned, people should just play whoever they're gravitated to, despite tier rankings. Because it's really silly if you think about it. If you're a good player, that's all that matters. Actually, it matters alot if you're a good player, because unlike most people, you're not picking that character because of tier ranking, you're picking that character because you mastered that character. It would be different if you sucked ofcourse, but if you're really good, then I don't think there's a category for you other than "top players of SSB."

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
There are alot of smashnoobs at my school, you know, the people who know nothing about competitive play but still play every day and think they know what they are talking about. (one argued with me to the death that mewtwo and ness had more potential than fox did,LOL)

Everyone in my school absolutely hates olimar and pikmin, and were pretty pissed off when Nintendo announced it. So when i told them that I was going to be the best olimar EVER, they were like "WTF, Are you seriously that gay!?"

So for me, I honestly don't care if olimar is the most-overused, overpowered character in the game, because my friends still wont use him! :D

I'm going hardcore into olimar ANYWAY,whether he's low-tier or not, so he might as well be good. The only difference it's going to make for me is how well i do in tourneys and how quickly I destroy my noob friends.

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
BTW, if olimar becomes top tier and have trained months before a good tier system is created, then by the time people realize that olimar's one of the best, we'll have half a year of training on all the people who play what's popular!

Cinder

Smash Master
There are alot of smashnoobs at my school, you know, the people who know nothing about competitive play but still play every day and think they know what they are talking about. (one argued with me to the death that mewtwo and ness had more potential than fox did,LOL)

Everyone in my school absolutely hates olimar and pikmin, and were pretty pissed off when Nintendo announced it. So when i told them that I was going to be the best olimar EVER, they were like "WTF, Are you seriously that gay!?"

So for me, I honestly don't care if olimar is the most-overused, overpowered character in the game, because my friends still wont use him! :D

I'm going hardcore into olimar ANYWAY,whether he's low-tier or not, so he might as well be good. The only difference it's going to make for me is how well i do in tourneys and how quickly I destroy my noob friends.
Same here...Olimar FTW, no matter what tier he is...

And btw, Imma gonna keel yer friends XD...

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you go to the character discussion board you'll see that Pikmin & Olimar has the most topics (200 compared to 50-100 for everyone else) so he's already the most popular character. At least here on smashboards that is

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
he has the most topis on GF to:(
I think P&O has the most topics because he's the most intruiging. There are alot of people curious about the character and wants to find out more about him/them. I'm not surprised there more posts about P&O than the others. But I wouldn't use post/topic count to base a decision on who's the most popular. Anyway, I still think most players (which are most likely around the amateur area) will first be intruiged by P&O but when trying to compete, will lose their interest due to his complexities. I don't think most players will be able to play P&O effectively, and I'm sure alot of the players out there will choose someone that's, well, you know, "click and win", like Fox in Melee.. or something. You all get the jist, lol.

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
I hope he doesnt be top tier, when new people first look at the tier list, there gonna use
him. and if you ask them,"So do you own any of his games?" they are gonna reply,"what games?" *sigh* its like saying falco is the badguy in the starfox games. But if he is top tier, i hope he's one of those character that when you play him, you get killed and they're like
saying," what just happened?" and the opponent says," uh duh, you have to be REALLY good with him" i hope. i just hope.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
It's an odd situation. When one says that they won't play a certain character because they're popular, what exactly is that individual saying about how they live their life? Do they live their life by being a non-conformist, and/or are they so self-conscious that they don't want to be mixed in with a certain group of people? In the end, as someone has most likely already mentioned, people should just play whoever they're gravitated to, despite tier rankings. Because it's really silly if you think about it. If you're a good player, that's all that matters. Actually, it matters alot if you're a good player, because unlike most people, you're not picking that character because of tier ranking, you're picking that character because you mastered that character. It would be different if you sucked ofcourse, but if you're really good, then I don't think there's a category for you other than "top players of SSB."
Well put. I find that it's much easier to get noticed when you're playing an unpopular character. You really stand out of you're beating fox after fox with a mewtwo. I have a lot of respect for low tier mains. Ultimately it does come down to characters' play styles for me to decide who I want to play. For the past few months I've been really into captain falcon, and apparently he sucks in brawl which is a good thing for me.

Faolmor

Smash Rookie
Pikmin and Olimar is ridiculously powerful, has awesome range and awesome priority, his gimped recovery doesn't offset these strengths at all.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Well... whatever tier they end up, how overused (wh0r3d) or not used at all.

I will take pride in knowing I was with him since the start (before revealed).

Pik & Oli for life!

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
I hope he doesnt be top tier, when new people first look at the tier list, there gonna use
him. and if you ask them,"So do you own any of his games?" they are gonna reply,"what games?" *sigh* its like saying falco is the badguy in the starfox games. But if he is top tier, i hope he's one of those character that when you play him, you get killed and they're like
saying," what just happened?" and the opponent says," uh duh, you have to be REALLY good with him" i hope. i just hope.
i have not played a single second of the pikmin games but i want to main olimar since his announce

Well put. I find that it's much easier to get noticed when you're playing an unpopular character. You really stand out of you're beating fox after fox with a mewtwo. I have a lot of respect for low tier mains. Ultimately it does come down to characters' play styles for me to decide who I want to play. For the past few months I've been really into captain falcon, and apparently he sucks in brawl which is a good thing for me.
exactly why i wanted to main olimar. i really thought people would of thought he sucked so when people played my olimar they would of thought he is a really good character. to tell you the truth i wanted to be like a gimpy like how he put bowser on the map, i wanted to put olimar on the map.

the main reason why i mained pikachu b/c he was a really good charcter and people thought he sucked

legendganon

Smash Cadet
Good think that a well-thought out tier list wont be out for a while. But i still think not many people will main him becasue of his recovery.

-_Ven_-

Smash Rookie
Doesn't really matter in the end, someone will find some exploit or char that completely trumps Oli in competitive play, the people who still use him after thats found are the real followers.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Thank you, as a melee Kirby main I hate being looked down upon because I'm a low-tier main. Guess what i can literally 3-stock my Marth main brother and Falco main best friend on teams against me in tournament rules match (FD no items 4 stocks 7 minutes etc.) and they both play daily but I'm just a good player plus I entered a tounament I battled a Capt. Falcon main and a fox main i came in 2nd in that tournament.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Honestly its silly to even talk tiers or how much oli will be played until the 9th. So much will be discovered at that time by so many different people the so called "tier list" (which I think is BS in the first place) is going to change so much it will be laughable. All of these are just hopeful predictions thus far.

Faolmor

Smash Rookie
If you have played Olimar then it is not unreasonable to say he is top tier...

Top Bottom