• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't get it...

R.O.B.TheROCKbot

Smash Rookie
Why is Metaknight rated so high on the tier listing? Why is there even any debate as to whether he's broken or not? The way I see it, he's simply not very good. He should be low tier, if anything.

I'll admit, a lot of his moves have really awesome potential. The downb seems like it could rock people if used correctly. His little tornado-y moves are obnoxious and have ridiculous priority and he hits so fast it's ALMOST unfair. ALMOST unfair in that he does like 1% a hit. He's a poke-machine. It seems to be able to kill with him, you have to be incredibly good with his upb or time a fsmash.

I mean, my thought is if he's a top-tier character, any bozo should be able to pick him up and kick at least moderate *** with him. That's the case with falco an ROB. Metaknight is just tough to do anything but poke with.

What makes him good?

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Insanely fast, almost no lag with his attacks, amazing combo potential, great air fighter, awesome recovery.. using him as my secondary thats what I have noticed about him.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
And the fact that he's high tier doesn't mean that anyone can pick him up and destroy with him. It takes time and practice to master his moves. The fact that he has huge potential is what makes him good.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
If you watch ppls vids you''ll see how fast you can rack up enough dmg to KO someone. Good players can also edgeguard with incredible effectiveness

boss8

Smash Hero
metaknight is simply an excuse for people who can't play good with there main character...so they will counter pick metaknight to try and beat there opponent...but it doesn't matter...in about 2 months metaknight will be overcome by snake/marth users...and possibly luigi...enjoy metaknight now..

R.O.B.TheROCKbot

Smash Rookie
But if he can't just be picked up and used as a weapon of ****, then how is he high tier? ANY character in the hands of a player who has practiced and is just generally good will be obscene. Tiers should be based on how good a character is when picked up by smasher who is generally good with small, mid-sized and large characters. I'd like to think I'm pretty good, but Metaknight just seems to blow. Hard.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meta Knight is quick with his attacks, and has great recovery skills. He does combo and the d-smash packs a punch. He's basically my third main (the others being Mario and Sonic).

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
metaknight is simply an excuse for people who can't play good with there main character...so they will counter pick metaknight to try and beat there opponent...but it doesn't matter...in about 2 months metaknight will be overcome by snake/marth users...and possibly luigi...enjoy metaknight now..

I think you are mistaken. Meta Knight can't simply be counter picked to beat an opponent. MK has his advantages but if you don't know what your doing your still going to lose. I dont' think MK will be pushed aside in 2 months, new techniques are being discovered almost every week and these will be applied by good metaknights. The amount of ppl playing meta knight will drop hopefully b/c frankly alot of ppl do it badly. Last week i was at a trny, there were 4 other meta knights, and they were all terrible, most of them only spammed b moves and played a very repetetive and predictable style. MK is full of fail. But in the right hands can be incredibly hard to beat. There is nothing wrong with maining MK but i think some players would do better with other characters.
As far as snake/marth/luigi
Snake is a tough match for MK, marth is not, luigi is not, unless i am missing something HUGE i don't see MK disappearing completely.

phe-gnome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-4792-6061
These people are just mad because they can't even beat a predictable noob MK let alone a skilled one.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
But if he can't just be picked up and used as a weapon of ****, then how is he high tier? ANY character in the hands of a player who has practiced and is just generally good will be obscene. Tiers should be based on how good a character is when picked up by smasher who is generally good with small, mid-sized and large characters. I'd like to think I'm pretty good, but Metaknight just seems to blow. Hard.
i think your thinking of the "who is the easiest character to pick up" or the "who is the noob character" discussion. just because YOU can't pick up the character easy doesn't mean he blows, it means you suck with that character.

chaotic002

Smash Apprentice
dude this is a mk character discussion and i go here because sometimes i can learn new mk tips and strategies i dont come here to see people post negative unhelpful criticism toward mk.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Learn the game before you start spewing of crap.

First of all MK is the new Shiek, he's easy to pick up and see results with. He's going to stay top tier for a LONG time.

Second Marth users aren't going to overcome ANYTHING. Marth is getting worse and worse by the day. The only reason people thought he was good to begin with was because he can be played similar to his melee counter-part. But since people are getting better at brawl Marths game is starting to become increasing less effective.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
It took me roughly two fights to figure out Metaknight's moveset and how to eliminate people with it.

It took me roughly two weeks to figure out ROB's moveset and how to eliminate people with it.

phe-gnome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-4792-6061
I don't see MK ever leaving top tier. Even when people know his whole move set he's ridiculously fast. I play a pretty unpredictable MK so I'm sure no matter how good everyone else gets I will still be effective.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
birghtside: You should visit the Marth forums and read some of the stuff I write. It would re-instill your faith in Marth's metagame.

Also wtf@this thread.

MK is good. End of discussion.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Low lag attacks, good recovery, gliding, DOUBLE gliding, Mach Tornado, fast, can almost only be KOed when either POWNED, by mistake, or spiked.

Meta-Knight owns, you fail.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
His little tornado-y moves are obnoxious and have ridiculous priority and he hits so fast it's ALMOST unfair. ALMOST unfair in that he does like 1% a hit. He's a poke-machine. It seems to be able to kill with him, you have to be incredibly good with his upb or time a fsmash.
Meta Knight still racks up enough damage with those moves for a kill. You don't have to KO off the screen with Meta Knight to get a kill; he's got ridiculous edgeguarding capabilities with his awesome aerials and great mid-air maneuverability, so you just have to knock enemies far enough off of the ledge and they're goners. Anyway, when you _do_ want to KO off the screen (against lighter characters or others with good maneuverability -- or both, like Pit), those aren't his only two kill moves. His Dsmash fills the role as well, his Utilt is surprisingly powerful, and his glide attack is great too. I'm sure I'm missing more as well, since I don't play him all that often these days.

I mean, my thought is if he's a top-tier character, any bozo should be able to pick him up and kick at least moderate *** with him. That's the case with falco an ROB.
Just because that's the case with those two does not mean that's the case with any good character. That's a logical fallacy. Meta Knight is good when you're good with him, but that doesn't mean he's easy to use properly. His playstyle is _quite_ different from Falco and R.O.B., so your being good with either of those two does not guarantee you'll be skilled with Meta Knight at all.

I think the easiest solution to this is for you to watch some good Meta Knight videos. ^_^ Also, what character are you using against him or fighting with him? Everyone has weaknesses and counterpicks, Meta Knight included.

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Some good KO moves are...

Shuttle Loop, Glide attack

Air Juggle, Shuttle Loop

U-smash, Fair

Top Bottom