• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't get Captain Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I seriously don't get Captain Falcon and why Sakurai wasted another precious slot for such an insanely ridiculous character. He is annoying and weak, also falcoon puunch is not funny anymore. He got even WEAKER since we have characters like Little Mac, Palutena, Robin, shortly ubers. I don't understand how can people be okay with this? Some people are not okay with Rosalina, but this? Okay look, maybe his moveset is awesome(not that i think this way), then there is GANONDORF, which is at least from a main franchise. I think the latest F-Zero game was made in 2004 or something and (of course) nobody gave a damn about it. Okay i know, Ganondorf is slower, and then make him a little faster!? Hit 2 birds with 1 stone, get rid of a clone and eliminate the silliest character in Smash Bros. history?
It is that glorious HD bulge that compels us.

Captain Falcon... more like Captain Smash Brothers... amiright?:falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm not attacking you, I'm just replying to your OP @ EgeDal EgeDal , it's all in the reply:
I seriously don't get Captain Falcon and why Sakurai wasted another precious slot for such an insanely ridiculous character. Because he's one of thee if not the most popular character(s) in Super Smash Bros.
He is annoying and weak, also falcoon puunch is not funny anymore. Because you might be thinking of :falcon: from Brawl who still had some options & is still a badass.
He got even WEAKER since we have characters like Little Mac, Palutena, Robin, shortly ubers. I don't understand how can people be okay with this? Some people are not okay with Rosalina, but this? We haven't even seen his moves in action in real-time game-play & you wanna automatically say he's become weaker?
then there is GANONDORF, which is at least from a main franchise. Oh that one character that has a complete clone-like move-set of :falconmelee: from Melee & still has clone-like moves of :falcon: in Brawl? Yeah I'm shocked too & they're from completely different Franchise Universes.:troll: Kind of makes LoZ Ganondorf look bad in SSB doesn't it?
I think the latest F-Zero game was made in 2004 or something and (of course) nobody gave a damn about it. I give a damndify about that game. F-Zero GX being one of the hardest racing games out there & I love it for the challenge & struggle I was put through to complete that game, your sentence sir is quite ignorant, the last game was made in 2005 but that's not worth mentioning it's still been a decade.
Okay i know, Ganondorf is slower, and then make him a little faster!? Hit 2 birds with 1 stone, get rid of a clone and eliminate the silliest character in Smash Bros. history?
Oh that one character that has a complete clone-like move-set of :falconmelee: from Melee & still has clone-like moves of :falcon: in Brawl? Yeah I'm shocked too & they're from completely different Franchise Universes.:troll: Kind of makes LoZ Ganondorf look bad in SSB doesn't it?

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
Oh, hey is this the Captain Falcon subforum? God guys, why is he even here? He was only the most creative character Sakurai made for smash (literally turning a future equivalent of racecar driver into a fighter). Know what? We should TOTES gets rid of him, and make his clone, Ganondorf, play just like him. That way a character I don't like is gone, a character I DO like isn't a clone anymore, AAAAAAND Sakurai doesn't have to put effort into designing things anymore. It's a win-win for everyone I think matters. What? Don't agree? Man, why are you even TALKING TO ME if you have different opinions. I just want to discuss whether or not (clearly not, amiright?) Crapton Failcan't should have a roster spot. Don't get all uppity and DISAGREE WITH ME. This is a discussion, not a debate.

So, yeah. Troll troll troll troll. I disagree with you.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Some of us like F-Zero you know
This. A major reason I play Captain Falcon is that F-Zero is one of my favorite video game franchises, not because I think Captain Falcon is oh so funny (although I do think his moveset is delightfully over the top).

I think one of the chief goals of Smash should be to include a great cast of playable characters from as many of Nintendo's major franchises as possible, regardless of how great they've done saleswise. Each and every franchise represented in Smash meant a lot to somebody, so it's great that they all have reps. Yes, F-Zero is usually a sales disaster, but I have picked up every game in the series and loved them. So yes, millions more people love Zelda and will play as those characters, but that doesn't mean we should just cut characters from other series.

I don't know. I've just never wanted to cut any characters. Frankly, for example, I like Zelda and Fire Emblem way, way less than F-Zero, Mario, Pokemon, Pikmin, etc, but never has the thought crossed my mind, "Gee, I wish they'd cut these characters I don't care about." I realize Fire Emblem and Zelda characters mean a lot to some people, so that's enough for me. What's more, they bring characters with new movesets into the mix, which makes things more interesting.

Also, just for what it's worth , I don't understand why Ganondorf is a clone of Falcon. He's been a boss enough times that Sak could just pull moves from actual Zelda games to make his moveset rather than cloning him from Falcon. Falcon's moveset is cool and unique, and because he doesn't have a moveset from his own games, changing him would be more of a task. If anyone's moveset should change, it's Ganondorf. Having said that, I don't really care if Ganondorf doesn't change either. He's still different enough to be interesting.

Edit: I'd also mention that Pikmin 3 came out about 9 years after Pikmin 2. You could argue that if Pikmin 3 had never come out, Pikmin would be slipping into irrelevancy, but that wouldn't mean Olimar wouldn't have a place in Smash. He was a character from 2 games that a lot of people loved, and he had a unique moveset. That's all that matters.

Last edited:

Pvt. Falcon

Smash Apprentice
my boy falcon has history. he may have been an obscure choice at first back in smash 64, but if we judge characters based on where they came from instead of their history and popularity, where would smash be today?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon is one of the most definitive Smash Bros icons and has a huge fanbase. If he was cut, it'd create boycotts and widespread rage would be directed at both Sakurai and the game. I pretty much never play as Falcon and would still be very upset if he was removed. :ohwell: He's just a very crucial and iconic part of the roster.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yet F-Zero still sells like boxed cancer unfortunately.
Actually, the only F-Zero game that didn't sell well was on the one on the GC and that's because it was monstrously difficult.

If we're going by sales numbers (and considering it's the only non-subjective criteria, we SHOULD go by sales numbers), then both F-Zero and the Yoshi franchise should've seen a 2nd character before Earthbound/Mother saw a FIRST. F-Zero's games have sold over 5 mil worldwide whereas EB's have less than 1 mil, last i checked.

If we should be removing anyone, it should be Ness and Lucas.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Actually, the only F-Zero game that didn't sell well was on the one on the GC and that's because it was monstrously difficult.

If we're going by sales numbers (and considering it's the only non-subjective criteria, we SHOULD go by sales numbers), then both F-Zero and the Yoshi franchise should've seen a 2nd character before Earthbound/Mother saw a FIRST. F-Zero's games have sold over 5 mil worldwide whereas EB's have less than 1 mil, last i checked.

GX was my favorite in the series :confused:

Ragna22

Smash Ace

You sure none of the GBA games did well? I remember some, if not all of those came after GX, I haven't looked at the sales but the fact that we haven't seen an F-Zero since the GBA tells me they didn't do well, then again Metroid missed the entire N64 life span so we'll see.

Also I'm not going off of sales numbers in terms of what characters should be in I'm just talking in general about the F-Zero series, Captain Falcon was made super popular in Smash yet it seems like a bunch of people don't know anything else about the F-Zero series, or at least a lot of the people I've ran into.

D

Deleted member

Too important due to his legendary popularity.

He's arguably the face of Smash Bros and one of the original 12 characters.

Discussion involves contrasting opinions, so starting one without being prepared to take a counter-argument is not the best move.

I'm a part of the broken record.

These were the facts of the day presented to you by a random internet guy. Carry on.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Also I'm not going off of sales numbers in terms of what characters should be in I'm just talking in general about the F-Zero series, Captain Falcon was made super popular in Smash yet it seems like a bunch of people don't know anything else about the F-Zero series, or at least a lot of the people I've ran into.
While I agree, you could say the exact same thing about Ness and Lucas. Ness' game came out at the very end of the SNES' life and sold horribly and Lucas' game never even made it to the US (last I checked, anyway).

Has Falcon developed more of a presence in SSB than he did in his own games? Sure, but he's far from the only character to turn out that way and he's not even the most obscure, either.

GX was my favorite in the series :confused:
Mine, too.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
While I agree, you could say the exact same thing about Ness and Lucas. Ness' game came out at the very end of the SNES' life and sold horribly and Lucas' game never even made it to the US (last I checked, anyway).

Has Falcon developed more of a presence in SSB than he did in his own games? Sure, but he's far from the only character to turn out that way and he's not even the most obscure, either.

Mine, too.
Yeah of course, I understand that but Falcon is the subject matter so I'm just sticking with that. But if you really want to branch off to the other franchises, you COULD argue that Smash Bros at least made the Mother series more public and it's just unfortunate that Smash 64 came out one console generation after Earthbound because while it is probably true that it never sold well on the SNES, there's probably a whole bunch of people today who played it on an emulator, as for Mother 3, enough fans were interested that they made an English translation patch for the GBA rom of the game so Smash Bros definitely helped the Mother series but only as far as publicity, the actual sales numbers probably can't match the amount of roms that were downloaded for it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah of course, I understand that but Falcon is the subject matter so I'm just sticking with that
Fair enough, but the OP's reasons for removing Falcon (which is just silly) revolved around reasons that one could easily apply to any number of characters in the SSB, starting with Ness, whose game sold like boxed ebola.

We're beyond overdue for a new F-Zero game at this point, though it isn't the first franchise Nintendo has ignored and it won't be the last...

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Fair enough, but the OP's reasons for removing Falcon (which is just silly) revolved around reasons that one could easily apply to any number of characters in the SSB, starting with Ness, whose game sold like boxed ebola.

We're beyond overdue for a new F-Zero game at this point, though it isn't the first franchise Nintendo has ignored and it won't be the last...
Oh I'm completely ignoring the OP for this thread lol. But yeah I'm still waiting for a new F-Zero myself, I think the Wii-U is the perfect console to bring it back on too because I think it'd be neat if they made the max speed vs. max acceleration system real time so while you're racing you can use the game pad to switch between the two. Obviously it could just be an optional feature that would mainly be used by pros so there could still be a screen for it before the race cause I understand that only making it real time will over complicate things for people.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon's spirit is simply the the essence of Smash. If you don't understand that, I seriously doubt you really understand Super Smash Brothers. It's not about being strong or weak, it's about playing with style and confidence. That's who Captain Falcon is.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Captain Falcon's spirit is simply the the essence of Smash. If you don't understand that, I seriously doubt you really understand Super Smash Brothers. It's not about being strong or weak, it's about playing with style and confidence. That's who Captain Falcon is.
The Captain is watching you.:shades:
:falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon:Thanks for Posting:4falcon::falcon::falconmelee::falcon64:

Last edited:

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Captain Falcon has become less of a F-Zero character and more of a Super Smash Bros. character… and I'm okay with that.

D

Deleted member

Well, uh, if you don't like Falcon, then don't play as him. He's part of the original 12, and he's one of the most iconic characters of the roster, like SA-Y said, so he won't be cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Owners or moderators, please, close / lock this thread. Thank you.
No why would they? This is for discussion and if you think this is pointless, you shouldn't be on this website at all

Hong

The Strongest
Can we just close this pointless thread?
Yeah. Owners or moderators, please, close / lock this thread. Thank you.
For the record, posts that attempt back-seat moderation are considered spam, and I would advise against it.

If you don't like the thread, just let it sink. The thread creator genuinely inquired into the appeal of Captain Falcon. While he has not always responded constructively, it's not any better than the sleuth of posts that are not adding anything substantive at all.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
For the record, posts that attempt back-seat moderation are considered spam, and I would advise against it.

If you don't like the thread, just let it sink. The thread creator genuinely inquired into the appeal of Captain Falcon. While he has not always responded constructively, it's not any better than the sleuth of posts that are not adding anything substantive at all.
Oh my god thanks Hong, i was thinking you were against me for like 3 days :D

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
...well, F-Zero was a popular franchise for Nintendo back in the day. Sadly it hasn't received a lot of Nintendo love, but it's one of Nintendo's only racing games, and a popular one if I might add. There is still outcry for more F-Zero representation in Nintendo. More games, that is.

He's an extremely iconic and popular character. Captain Falcon deserves to be here. Point blank.

Morbi

Scavenger
Who could Hong be against vice versa anyone be against Hong with dat avi face.
Who could Captain Falcon be against vice versa anyone be against Captain Falcon with those beautiful muscles and nipple clamps? I thought it was impossible until I saw this thread. To be perfectly honest though, I used to feel similar about Captain Falcon... until I jumped on the bandwagon of course!

Show ya moves!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Who could Captain Falcon be against vice versa anyone be against Captain Falcon with those beautiful muscles and nipple clamps? I thought it was impossible until I saw this thread. To be perfectly honest though, I used to feel similar about Captain Falcon... until I jumped on the bandwagon of course!

Show ya moves!
Back in Smash 64, it was love at first sight. I remember playing Samus & her below average game-play until locking eyes with that handsome looking man in the top right corner. He told me congratulations for unlocking him & said hi to me winking from afar. Teaching me how to live in Missouri the right way, Show-me state goes deeper toward Show me ya moves!

Hong

The Strongest
yeah right
There is no user on this forum that I particularly detest, and none of my administrative decisions are influenced by my personal feelings. If they will, I won't be the one handling it. That would be irresponsible.

Keep in mind that a lot of the reason why a post was seen by a moderator is because a user reported it, deemed that it violated the SmashBoards Terms of Service. Most of the time there is no subjectivity involved and there is a very clear example of those very rules being ignored. You would be all the more justified to blame a user who has reported you, but both cases are nonsensical since the only one to blame is yourself.

If you had people spamming your thread, you should have reported it instead of suffering in silence.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Why would you put this thread in the Captain Falcon Smash 4 Character Discussion, wouldn't that most of the people here ~might have a strong inclination towards him?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Why would you put this thread in the Captain Falcon Smash 4 Character Discussion, wouldn't that most of the people here ~might have a strong inclination towards him?
There's nothing wrong with it, my falcon nipples were turned off seeing this thread & it's meaning but Falcon's Meaning of Truth to us are still strong. Falcon approves of any thread in his domain. :4falcon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom