• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't get good at smash.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
I'm not getting better and I'm not sure why. I do practice and I was getting good and then I hit a wall. Its really frustrating and it makes me want to quit. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Who do you main? What have you been doing to practice? What wall do you feel you are coming up against specific match ups etc. More details will make giving better advice easier.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
I main browser and wolf, for practice I play quick play. I can't think of any match up problems, just the lack of progress.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I main browser and wolf, for practice I play quick play. I can't think of any match up problems, just the lack of progress.
It's good that you have a main already-that's a big first step.
Something I did to get better was watch Smash tutorial YouTube videos. Here are a few I personally recommend.
Don't binge the entire series of Art of SU vids, watch the first and practice what it tells you before moving on to part two, rinse and repeat. Highly reccomend these.
Banana Boy is an amazing teacher. You should definitely watch a lot of his stuff including this, and it's actually really entertaining as well.
Pretty awesome video on how to DI and SDI.
Another great Banana Boy vid.
Finally, two great videos on the characters you're playing. (I've solo mained Bowser for a long time now, if there's anything else you want to know just hmu).
Branch out from these and find out which content creators you like the most.

In terms of training, I'd say get comfortable with your movement in training mode. Practice walking, running, crawling, buffered short hops, normal short hops, short hop fast falls, short hop fast falls with an aerial, etc. Move on to the next after getting one a certain number of times in a row, let's say seven or eight. If you can't get something immediately, take a break before you try again, however long it may be. Other things to practice would be RAR's, pivot grabs, combos like Bowser up throw forward air or Wolf down throw dash attack. Being comfortable with your character(s) is the single most important thing to learn in Smash, imo.
As Bowser D.X Bowser D.X said, practice against CPU's, they aren't the toughest training partners in the world but they help you apply the things you practiced in an actual match on a moving, fighting target. Selecting the "move" CPU behavior in Training mode also helps, as this just makes the CPU move and dodge unpredictably.
Knowing frame data a bit also helps. Not saying you should know all of your character's startup, active frames, and endlag on every move-in fact, I highly doubt anyone does that. For now, just use https://ultimateframedata.com/ to see what moves are the quickest, which can really help. For example, Bowser has a frame 6 out of shield option, which is extremely useful against attacks that are -7, -8, etc on shield.
After beating the crap out of level 9 CPU's, try and test your skills with https://www.smashladder.com/. It's like Quickplay but way better. Just make sure you know how to set up an arena and find its ID and passcode before starting.
Last thing, you will most likely have to narrow it down to one character at some point. Bowser and Wolf are both very strong characters so you can't go wrong really. It doesn't have to be now, but if you find yourself at a road block further in the future, you may have to decide which is most fun, most beneficial, etc. and keep them. Trust me, this helps a lot in the long run. For now, though, you can play both.
Finally, go to tournaments. Not the easiest thing right now, and I personally wouldn't want you too. People are just dumb, especially when it comes to Smash players towards hygiene. Online tournaments are not a great supplement but you can still learn a lot. Always remember to ask questions after losing, like "How do I deal with that move as my character?" or something like that. Don't make it too vague, like "How do I git gud?" You won't git a gud response. Make sure to get an Ethernet connection and LAN adapter if you can.
Over time you can do other things, like studying your replays and practicing more complex tech and combos. But that's it for now, this wall's big enough. Hopefully you become a better player because of this.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guy's. I'll definitely do all the things you guys said, and check out the resources too. This helps a ton.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I'll probably get flak for this, but one method I used to use back in the day was literally just versing 3 level 9's at once. It's not good for reads or combos; but it does help build reflexes.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I also highly recommend playing people outside of Quick Play. Either people here or on a Discord that way you can not only chat with the people you play with but get actual feedback about strengths, weaknesses, habits and so on. It's one thing to grind online all day against 'nobodies' and it's an entirely new beast to actually TRAIN with people and learn.

UltimateShulk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1732 1109 1619
I believe in you! We all hit brick walls in our journey. I'm a new Shulk main and while I do make mistakes (such as back slashing off an edge and falling off lol), I have faith that I will get better as time passes, and I think you have potential! I do hope we fight one day whether by Online or by making arenas.

Top Bottom