• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am VERY excited to try out this new Bowser!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
He looks so awesome and we got a TON of footage and images of him! I was blown away by how much Bowser information they gave us! His color pallet and stance and general overhaul of style - I'm loving it.

It looks like Bowser is metaphorically taking off the training weights this time - he isn't afraid to throw his weight around and use some serious moves - almost like a wrestler style moves! He's standing upright and can RUN this time and I'm VERY pleased to see it. He looks a lot faster on the ground - but hey, super early builds don't really tell us anything... But it's cool to speculate and have fun, right?!

We've seen all the same b moves as before through screenshots and gameplay, and while I DEFINITELY prefer the melee side b, it also looks like the brawl side b fits his new aesthetic and style a little bit better. It didn't necessarily look like he could aim his firebreath from the videos that I saw, but we'll see.

We also saw ftilt being the same, dash attack being new and fresh, and what I assume is his new fsmash being the drop kick! That drop kick looked AWESOME! The only sad thing is that I think that means that they took out the Gimpyfish combo T-T

I'm sure I'll have some more tricks this time around, so look forward to that I guess <3

As unsure as I am about this game in general, and as long as it's been since I've been uber competitive at smash (I haven't really played seriously in like 5 years other than like two month long spats last year) I can't wait to get a hold of this new Koopa King. It looks like it will be very refreshing to play as him after so many years with an old moveset!

So I guess I'll be seeing you guys in 2014 ;P

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
back when brawl was legitimately a different game and everyone was trying to play it like melee? yeah i was excited. How could I not be excited? It was a new smash bros. Then we got brawl, and Brawl not fun at all, and that Bowser was not the real Koopa King.

That's why I said in this post "As unsure as I am about this game in general" - it is looking... less than promising... for certain things.

But hey, we'll see.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
The very first thing I thought when they showed Bowser in the developer video:
"Oh crap, nobody tell Gimpyfish!"

Too late, I guess. ;P

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I suppose this the official Bowser hype thread. :p

I like the changes made to Bowser. Truer to his appearances in Mario games, and he looks like he has been pulled straight from Bowser's Inside Story.

geno

Smash Apprentice
Me 3 minutes ago: "Man, I really hate the new Bowser... The way he stands upright, that new drop kick, how he looks all smooth... *clicks on thread* Oh, Gimpyfish is excited about him? THIS BOWSER IS GOING TO BE AWESOOOOME!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Welcome back, fellow Bowser fan! <3

It's all bout dat Boozer dropkick! And that airborne move he did in the developer direct vid after the dropkick, epic Boozer flips! Bowser's gonna get more love this time around. I can feel it.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/bowser.html
And that last Wii pic of the 2nd row with WFT in it... Could it be that Bowser retains his famous foot-dancing D-taunt?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Me 3 minutes ago: "Man, I really hate the new Bowser... The way he stands upright, that new drop kick, how he looks all smooth... *clicks on thread* Oh, Gimpyfish is excited about him? THIS BOWSER IS GOING TO BE AWESOOOOME!

I felt like this, minus the sudden reverse of opinion because Gimpy. Love the guys work with Bowser. But the new Bowser looks dumb. The run is goofy, the upright standing is as far away from menacing as you can get, and the Brawl side B is not Koopa Klaw (which I think speaks for itself). I'm excited for this game, just not the overly acrobatic, weirdly cartoony, new Bowser. Doesn't even look cute :T

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lol. I like goofy characters so I immediately fell in love with the new Bowser. I disliked his dash at first, but I got over soon.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I definitely don't want Bowser (Well Koopa over here in Japan.) to suck. I look forward to using the heave weight.
Of course. Though each region has their own likes of characters though I know most will be on the higher tier bandwagon whoever those characters may be. I just hope Bowser will get a lot of love this time around.
(I remember you, JP Basic Brawl Peachy!)

Phantom287

Smash Rookie
I really like what I've seen with Bowser, so far. I hope he plays as well as he looks.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I felt like this, minus the sudden reverse of opinion because Gimpy. Love the guys work with Bowser. But the new Bowser looks dumb. The run is goofy, the upright standing is as far away from menacing as you can get, and the Brawl side B is not Koopa Klaw (which I think speaks for itself). I'm excited for this game, just not the overly acrobatic, weirdly cartoony, new Bowser. Doesn't even look cute :T
if you are concerned with him being "overly acrobatic" i'm sure you hated brawl bowser anyway, who was a random hulking monster who's design didn't make any sense and he looked like a big ugly stuffed animal.

This look is actually based off of a look that he has in almost every game he's in nowadays - the brawl side b (which i hated in brawl) looks like it fits in more now, as do all of his wrestler like moves, with his new smash appearance.

Melee bowser had a great feel, and I think everyone knows that I really loved it, but given the overall design choices of this GAME (the focus on primary colors and the characters really just in general standing out) i feel like if he was based off the same look as before he would be even uglier than brawl bowser - and that sounds like something truly awful.

Bowser hasn't been that hulked over bowser form for a long long long time, this is how bowser looks now. See Bowser's Inside Story or Mario 3D Land or Mario Galaxy or M & L: Dream Team or pretty much every Mario game after Mario 64 for that matter lol

I think the run looks great, a big clunky powerful run like Bowser actually does in his games - instead of a floating hovercar that was only in the game in the first place i'm sure because they couldn't figure out how to animate him running with the limitations of the gamecube combined with how they made his stance in that game.

you're allowed to not like it though, i'm just expressing here ;P

GeZ

Smash Lord
if you are concerned with him being "overly acrobatic" i'm sure you hated brawl bowser anyway, who was a random hulking monster who's design didn't make any sense and he looked like a big ugly stuffed animal.

This look is actually based off of a look that he has in almost every game he's in nowadays - the brawl side b (which i hated in brawl) looks like it fits in more now, as do all of his wrestler like moves, with his new smash appearance.

Melee bowser had a great feel, and I think everyone knows that I really loved it, but given the overall design choices of this GAME (the focus on primary colors and the characters really just in general standing out) i feel like if he was based off the same look as before he would be even uglier than brawl bowser - and that sounds like something truly awful.

Bowser hasn't been that hulked over bowser form for a long long long time, this is how bowser looks now. See Bowser's Inside Story or Mario 3D Land or Mario Galaxy or M & L: Dream Team or pretty much every Mario game after Mario 64 for that matter lol

I think the run looks great, a big clunky powerful run like Bowser actually does in his games - instead of a floating hovercar that was only in the game in the first place i'm sure because they couldn't figure out how to animate him running with the limitations of the gamecube combined with how they made his stance in that game.

Damnit Gimpyfish, how can you be so informative yet so wonderfully moderate. Everything you said makes sense so I suppose I'm content for now. I'm going to dub the seeing something you don't like, then liking it because you explain it, the Gimpy effect.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Hey, Gimpy's back! I'm definitely gonna try to have a pocket Bowser in SSB4 also. He looks way too cool to not try.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

I couldn't help but laugh at the "floating hovercar" part. >_<
But maybe this time, they'll actually give Bowser a great voice. Melee's often sounds like a generic monster dragon that's been used many times in TV shows/anime (mostly looking at his taunt), no comment bout the Brawl one though. Galaxy Bowser would fit this Bowser best, or even make it like BiS's Bowser and make him say cool things, like "SHOWTIME!"

NatP

Smash Ace
You know, I think his Dropkick is actually his down smash, since he seems to hit low with it. So don't rule out the Gimpyfish combo just yet. :p

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Most D-smashes are known to hit both sides of the character in one shape or form. The Dropkick was shown briefly to charge, and since it's a frontal attack, it has to be F-smash, while Bowser likely maintains his old D-smash.

GeZ

Smash Lord
"SHOWTIME" needs to be added to his intro. There's no reason why it shouldn't be, its too perfect.

It's already snakes. So if he's in there it can't be. Also, not to offend anyone, but am I really the only one who thinks the new direction they're taking Bowser is too stark of a difference from melee and brawl Bowser. I mean, menace, both in his pressure game and appearance, was his defining feature.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
but i loved bowser's voice in melee, in mario kart 64, and in mario galaxy to name a few. ESPECIALLY Mario Galaxy. I hated how he sounded in brawl. He was like a robot dog or something it was ridiculous.

His voice in inside story was AWESOME, but I dunno that i'd want that in the smash game. Especially given that he looks like he's really "trying" now - i mean, he stood up straight for this fight, before he was fighting lazy. He should sound like an aggressive monster.

The SHOWWWTIMMMEEE was one of my true favorites from bowser's inside story... i just dont think it fits this guy.

But we shall SEE!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My vote goes for Galaxy Bowser voices to go with all the new tricks and flips he can do.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Bowser does indeed receive Kenny James' voice, I'd be in favor of his old roaring taunt getting replaced by some good, deep and menacing evil laughter.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
This Bowser looks like he'll make it out of the Low tier :laugh:

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Why didn't you want them to tell me? T-T

I love me some Bowser hahaha
I'm mostly kidding, but I saw how much faster and agile he is (plus the dropkick) and I thought they all look like changes you'd like, and therefore be exceedingly dangerous with. :laugh:

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
there is nothing we have seen at all that indicates in any way that he will/won't be low tier so let's leave that kind of speculation out of this thread ;P

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Am I the only pessimist in the thread?
Hey, that's my thing. I'm the only pessimistic pessimist on this block.

My initial impression was "Damn, I'll miss the Bowser Car run/Gimpyfish Combo" along with finding his new color palette a bit weird (green is no longer the "primary color" and I think his mouth being the same shade as his skin is...off).

That said, I absolutely loved Bowser's Inside Story and am glad to see they updated him to match that version, just taking some time getting used to it. His run/overall speed increase, posture and kicking attacks are actually long overdue godsends. I like both versions of the Klaw special, but I honestly would've preferred something completely new (BiS Sliding Punch, complete with him flying/floating in whatever direction he's facing and the ability to double as a recovery move, off the top of my head). I'll still love playing as him in the end, because it's ****ing Bowser/Koopa.

The only sad thing is that I think that means that they took out the Gimpyfish combo T-T
Also sigging this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I liked how brutish Bowser was in Brawl, heck I even liked his "voice", this is how Bowser truly is. Smash Bros made its own Bowser, which is cool, but since the game is supposed to represent each character as best as possible, and as faithfully to the original as possible, this is so much better. Bowser isn't a hulk, with his newer stance he looks much more like the Koopa King that he's supposed to be. His newfound speed is also great, kind of reminds me of his constant jumping and such in Galaxy, despite the fact that he's based on a turtle he really isn't as slow as Smash Bros has made him over the years.

He looks like a new character, and I guess it's because it finally feels like the real Bowser is in the game now. As I said, I liked the old Bowser, but I more than welcome this new one, and I'm super hyped to try him out.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
God, Bowser's new design is the sickest **** and actually feels like real Bowser.

Watch him be top tier :troll:

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
While I liked how brutish Bowser was in Brawl, heck I even liked his "voice", this is how Bowser truly is. Smash Bros made its own Bowser, which is cool, but since the game is supposed to represent each character as best as possible, and as faithfully to the original as possible, this is so much better. Bowser isn't a hulk, with his newer stance he looks much more like the Koopa King that he's supposed to be. His newfound speed is also great, kind of reminds me of his constant jumping and such in Galaxy, despite the fact that he's based on a turtle he really isn't as slow as Smash Bros has made him over the years.

He looks like a new character, and I guess it's because it finally feels like the real Bowser is in the game now. As I said, I liked the old Bowser, but I more than welcome this new one, and I'm super hyped to try him out.
Project: M's Bowser buffs are the only reason I felt any sort of attachment to Brawl Bowser. If this movement overhaul comes with increased speed and maybe some better moves, I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to play with the new version.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
I like Bowser's stance in this game. It makes him look more menacing, not like a grumpy turtle with health issues. He also look more intelligent, not just a mindless monster. Wish he was bigger though, like he was in brawl. I don't really like the sizing of the characters this time around but I'll get over it I guess

As for the dropkick, we can't rule out the fact that it could be a new type of move altogether, not a smash attack or any other type of existing move. It's not likely but possible. It could also be his Fsmash tilted down and his normal Fsmash could be the headbutt.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
The more I rewatch the trailers and gameplay videos, the more this Bowser with his animations and model remind me of BiS Bowser. This, I absolutely love!

Maybe it's just me though.

B!squick

Smash Master
After recently watching Nostalgia Critic and being reminded of Master of Disguise, I just got the most awful idea for an alternate terrifying character model for Bowser...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser can run!

This makes sense, because this is how Bowser moves in his games.

He does seem more like a "professional" wrestler now and looked very at home leaping into the ring during the Animal Crossing video.

While I loved landing Bowser's forward Smash, the dropkick is amazing. Seems like it has range, power, and fast startup, only having lag after he finishes.

The dash kick is alright, still think he should have used his horns.

Not crazy about the neutral air flips, but still I like this upright Bowser as a whole. Seems like he might have more personality in his animations as well.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
I personally can't wait to try out this new faster Bowser. The speed improvements are great. Seems like a formidable character. The drop kick is pretty cool as well.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
This was really the most unexpected direction for Bowser to go in for me. I thought he'd get more of a focus on his tank aspects, with super armor and such. I like this a lot anyways, though. It seems to me that Sakurai is really trying to make characters less polarized by fixing their weaknesses rather then buffing their strengths, which is a great move on his part. I can't wait to see how Bowser plays.

Top Bottom