• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am sure that this game will be fun anyway!

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
I think I will take a positive look on brawl.

Fox clones: I will not sugar coat it, Fox clones are here. But, try to view them as being a bonus, rather than a block for other characters.

Ganondorf: Well, this is annoying, but C-falcon's set works for him alright. It is a brutal power type set, and having ganon going ARRAGH! and punching suits him. In game, he lacks a distinct sword-play style. Just one hit things. Block, block, get hit by parry/rolling attack, block, single strike. It would be rather hard to make a B-move for him anyway. The Up attack was changed, and that was the only strange thing.

R.O.B.: Sure he does not have a kick *** game, or a fan base, but he was the thing that allowed the NES to be sold. He is deserving of the spot, history wise. Krystal, or someone else has no right to replace him. The only character who could replace R.O.B. is Game and Watch. Also it seems as if he could have an interesting roll in SSE. His brethren have been forced into slavery perhaps? Maybe he disagrees with helping the SSE.

Lack of Krystal: A hard knock, sure. She had a good chance of getting in. I realize that she is better than Wolf, or Falco. The fact is she didn't. Maybe they wanted Starfox to be limited to Starfox 64. Whatever reason, yes it was a bad decision. Give her a nice coffin, or memorial, instead of an Army of angry players.

Lack of Mewtwo/inclusion of Lucario: They wanted another pokemon for Melee. Not many others fit the bill, especially as they wanted a "bad guy" (see event 51) Lucario is not a bad guy, but it represents the 4th generation. One of the first pokemon released, Other than munchlax, it is a good representative. Also, if it does have some moves of mewtwo's, consider it a tip of the hat to the previous cool guy pokemon.

Lack of Geno: He was a nice Character, so I am told, but one game on the sidelines is not quite enough to warrant putting him in Brawl. A fanbase gives a bit, but when licensing issues come up too, it is too much trouble, spent on time for other characters.

Lack of another third Party (megaman): Megaman is nice, sure. The thing is, it would probably be the battle network one, and he does not really fit in with the crowd for some reason. Another third party would be good, but perhaps it might taint the game too much. Snake is okay, I suppose. Sonic is a no brainer.

Doctor Mario and such not getting in: A small kick in the balls. We knew some were going. Besides, Pichu was Baby pokemon Rep, and Doc was a glorified costume change. (Different play my ***, when a character is another character dressed up differently, I draw the line)

WW link: Okay, I know. We wanted a nice moveset. But from what I have heard, the Sword play is different, and the main moves are almost the same. Besides, he actually represents a place in Nintendo current affairs. Keep him. He has a different build to Link too. Sort of like a mix between Luigi and Pichu. (but not as sucky)

Lack of voice acting in SSE: No biggie. Nintendo is very good at making games with no speech. Grunts can go a long way. It is not a silent movie. Besides, talking can lead to big ethics discussion.

The game will probably rock anyway, and this is directed towards the Subspace game. We got a good versus mode last time. I think this time will be just as good. The Subspace looks to be very fun. People still go back to play Sonic 1 and Super mario. This game improves on melee.

We all disliked adventure right, wanting something more? Well now we have it. I am going to enjoy it tons. Remember, it is two player.

Do not be unhappy, this game has a lot of features. Far more than Melee. Look at how long melee lasted! Eleven newcomers, not including clones is pretty good, on top of all the cool new features...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yes, the game is going to be awesome but, unfortunately, I see this game having the same amount of replay value as Melee, which is a lot, granted, but after a year or two have passed you are starved for a sequel like most people were for Brawl. To me, online play is usually fun for only a few months before I want to try something new and I haven't decided if I should even bother unlocking all the trophies and stickers in Brawl. The sheer number of them may make the task tedious so I'm holding out on their being a lot of variety in that respect. Still, I feel the same way that I did when Melee's roster was revealed, Brawl's roster has some cool elements but it feels extremelly lacking in some regards (unique and interesting unlockable characters) and overbearing in others (clones). Calling Brawl, Melee 2.0 doesn't seem fair but it does seem to suit the bill and I guess that's fine. Like everyone else, I'll have to wait 6-7 years for them to try to get the roster right again.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
I agree with ya bud! Welcome to the boards! Additional generic complement on your positivity!

You can be angry today, but take confort that you will be fine with the roaster within a week. When the game comes out, the majority no doubt are going to forget about all this speclation in the first place.

People forget...that people forget.... :ohwell:

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
No seriously it's alot of fun. I dont' know why people get upset because their favorite character isn't in the game. It's refreshing to play as new characters. Pit was alot of fun to play with - he's a bit imba I think though. Wings, sword, Bow, Fast, Plus a relfecting shield.

Regardless - the game is so fun just you guys wait. I wish I could send copies from here to you guys but I don't have the kind of money to just hand out copies of brawl. Plus I doubt many of you could read the Japanese >.<

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
No ****.

Just because people are criticizing the roster, doesn't mean they dislike the game as a whole. Its sad how many members here are failing to realize that simple little fact.

People here seem to be deluding themselves about the roster... If I had told you that ROB and a bunch of clones should be in the game a few weeks ago, instead of Krystal, Claus, K.Rool, Dark Samus, etc... Then you would have punched me in the face in disgust. There is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, and admitting the roster is a disappointment, Brawl as a whole is still a great game. I'm sick of 12 year old emotionally influenced "logic", that attempts to apologize for obvious mistakes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@ the above:

There's no doubt that this game is going to be fun but this definately isn't the end all of Smash Bros games like we expected it to be and it definately seems like a long shot for this game to become Game of Year because, although it added more content, it didn't address the same problems that Melee had and even added some new ones to the mix (like how the break the target stages are the same for every character). Like I said, most people will probably be ready for a sequel with a year or two after buying it, just like with Melee which is natural, I suppose.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Melee 2.0.

Sounds good. This has a few clones, but not as much as melee, and it got more collections. Not to mention it has a fully fledged Story mode.

This game achieved all melee strived to be. So yes, 2.0 is good for me. I love melee, and I will love brawl. 2.0 works great.

So we got some disappointment. No game has everything we want in it. If you cannot think of faults, then you start to think "Why didn't we get more?" This is a mentality stance that is worse than "Faults!" because it never gets satisfied.

Just be happy. Some new characters are good. Besides, Pit, Wario, Olimar and the rest will be enough to play with. Also, old characters are in too. 35 characters, with a wide attack range, with a detailed Storyline is pretty good. The graphics are not bad either.

Just enjoy the game for what it is, instead of what it could be.

Also, Solid Sonic, I acknowledge that those characters might be cool, but to be honest, I find that most characters that belong here are in. The main characters that belonged were in melee, and a few more were added in brawl. Star Fox may have benefited from Krystal, but we got Wolf instead. Character-wise, both were worthy of getting in. Wolf was considered more worthy. Perhaps to be a bad guy.

Anyway, King K. Rool has not appeared for a fair bit, I do not know what he looks like!

This game is for everyone, not just oldies. I like the current Roster. 35 nintendo Starts suits me fine. Sure they could have better movesets, I do not deny it. But they are still fun to play as. Ganondorf was played as in Melee.

Just get some sense of what has been added, rather than not added. We got Pit! In Melee we got Ice climbers! Also, being a SSE boss or an assist trophy is not a bad thing, in the game is good anyway. Many unique characters are difficult to make, as has been shown. This many has taken a good amount of time, and we have clones. I doubt it was for a bad reason. A lot must have been squashed in.

00Elf

Smash Journeyman
We need more topics like this.

+1 internets to the TC. You're on the right track. This game is unprecedented in it's size, and it's roster is something that we should be ecstatic about.

I'm so tired of complaints, you all had unrealistic expectations, better luck next time.

In any event, my preorder of Brawl touched down at the airport two hours ago, and I'll be playing the full game in a few hours.

Later suckers.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Meh, the roster is the only dissapointing deal.

I will be over it in time, but the game looks good... AND THE FINAL DESTINATION MUSIC IS AWESOME!! ._.

...Sorry, I had to say that.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Exactly.

Now, I think this can be locked, or closed. I think the "OMG, TEH CHaRaCT3rZ R05tA S00k5!111!!1!" Phase is over, and this thread has served its purpose.

Small note: Duplex, I joined around 2 years earlier than you, then left this account to die. Then I tried to join again and got directed to this account.

TheEternalGamer

Smash Rookie
I also think that this game will be fun, and maybe I am one of the few, but I think that the roster looks awesome. :)

Sliq

Smash Master
I disagree, and only because they have seemingly destroyed everything that made competitive smash great in the first place.

CQue tHe Sunn

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm going to really miss wavedashing and other members of its family (wavelanding, waveshining and such). The game is much slower paced, which brings it down a lot in my opinion. I may very well end up hating this game... oh well... there's always Melee still (AKA The Most Accidentally Perfect Game In Existence).

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm going to really miss wavedashing and other members of its family (wavelanding, waveshining and such). The game is much slower paced, which brings it down a lot in my opinion. I may very well end up hating this game... oh well... there's always Melee still (AKA The Most Accidentally Perfect Game In Existence).
I imagine there will be new exploits. Even if there are not, when you first got smash, it was not because of the Competitive side of it, right? It was because it looked fun. Sure the Metagame will be reworked. Perhaps a really cheap tactic will come out. A counter will be found.

Wavedashing may be gone, but I feel that there will be a different ability.

Melee was a fun game, even without advanced Techs. I still never use anything but L-Cancel, mainly due to my inability to execute them. (although I appreciate the Techs, and do not scream "Cheap!" Whenever I see them)

You will enjoy this game, I am sure. The AI may have improved, you never know. The level nines may use some great skill.

There is good and bad, like any other game. The thing is, the good outweighs the bad.

I am not trying to be violent when speaking, I just like to think that it is better to think about what we do have, instead of dwelling on what we don't. Sure. We got Demos instead of Krystal. The thing is, each department has their own forte. The demands put on the emulation department should not affect the Character department.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
It sad how people don't like this game,is 35 characters not alot.
Sorry, I do not quite understand you.

Thirty five is a fair bit. I have seen more, and I have seen less. I think it is a good amount. Nothing wrong with brawl ATM, right?

Sliq

Smash Master
I imagine there will be new exploits. Even if there are not, when you first got smash, it was not because of the Competitive side of it, right? It was because it looked fun. Sure the Metagame will be reworked. Perhaps a really cheap tactic will come out. A counter will be found.

Wavedashing may be gone, but I feel that there will be a different ability.

Melee was a fun game, even without advanced Techs. I still never use anything but L-Cancel, mainly due to my inability to execute them. (although I appreciate the Techs, and do not scream "Cheap!" Whenever I see them)

You will enjoy this game, I am sure. The AI may have improved, you never know. The level nines may use some great skill.

There is good and bad, like any other game. The thing is, the good outweighs the bad.

I am not trying to be violent when speaking, I just like to think that it is better to think about what we do have, instead of dwelling on what we don't. Sure. We got Demos instead of Krystal. The thing is, each department has their own forte. The demands put on the emulation department should not affect the Character department.
L-Canceling is gone, and dash dancing is messed up apparently.

And now that I ave been a competitive, going back to roll and down smas spamming seems like a ******** thing to do (i.e. playing like a nub). Once you got competitive, you never go back, because it is much more fun than playing as a noob.

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
L-Canceling is gone, and dash dancing is messed up apparently.

And now that I ave been a competitive, going back to roll and down smas spamming seems like a ******** thing to do (i.e. playing like a nub). Once you got competitive, you never go back, because it is much more fun than playing as a noob.
Find new techniques then? Perhaps the game will be slower paced, but there definitely seems to be a lot of potential for new tactics. Although I agree that I will miss L-canceling sorely (and will probably be trying to futilely hit L while playing Brawl), I doubt that the lack of this technique will steer me away from trying to enjoy the best looking Wii game to date. (Sorry, I don't think Mario Galaxy can compare :b)

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Lack of Geno: He was a nice Character, so I am told, but one game on the sidelines is not quite enough to warrant putting him in Brawl.
However a robot who isn't really requested or a video game character at all, is.

No, I don't count an NPC driver in Mario Kart as a character.

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
However a robot who isn't really requested or a video game character at all, is.

No, I don't count an NPC driver in Mario Kart as a character.
Actually he was playable in Mario Kart...

Anyway, obviously this will be a great game. Though I am very disappointed because if they are only going to make 35 characters, then they should have at least had time to create original movesets/choose more popular characters than ones like Toon Link. To the people who can't seem to get it through their heads: No, I am not complaining that Brawl will suck or that Sakurai is a lazyass, because neither is true. Just saying, the roster could be improved.

Top Bottom