• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am so frustrated with this guy. Please help!

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
OK, so I go to this group called "Fuse" at a church across from the high school I go to every Thursday, and there are always people playing Brawl. It's almost like a small smashfest. There are about 10 people there that come regularly, about 6 or 7 of which I know.

The story goes that my friend told me about Fuse, so I decided to go. Now, I told them that I was going to go to Fuse Thursday the weekend before. One of my acquaintances, David, is apparently an "Uber good player" at SSBB. I heard all kinds of crap about "You can't beat David. Nobody can beat him." and "You have no chance" and "I bet David can beat you without losing any lives. You better be ready."

Well, I kept saying that they do not know how good I am, so they can't say that I can't beat him. My friend Mike kept insisting that "David is the best within 100 miles." I knew that that wasn't true, so I just told him that "David better be ready to die on Thursday." But they kind of smirked like I was a joke. I had fought one of David's close friends Zack maybe 5 or so months ago, so Zack tells me that "No spammer can beat David. Spammers suck.". Because I had used to just spam Pikachu's thunder and tjolt a lot. That's not the case anymore.

So the story goes that I go to Fuse, fight David three times in a row, beating him all three times. So at this moment, I have never lost to David. Now I don't get that crap about "Nobody can beat David."

However, as I was fighting David at Fuse, I noticed that he didn't really have any skill at all. His entire strategy was composed of his wolf/fox rolling a lot, then immediately Fsmashing me. It was very frustrating, and it still frustrates me fighting him to this day, even though I beat him. I have tried mindgaming him, baiting him, QACing into combos, QACing for mindgames, I've even tried being just plain aggressive, in an attempt to overpower him. I've read the Wolf matchup thread, and I've also tried camping him. And when he tries to get me and I shield successfully, I CG him to about 30%, then go from there. I've tried capitalizing on Pika's fastest moves and also dodging around like he does in an attempts to be faster than him and minimize ending lag so he can't Fsmash me. I've tried to use ridiculously overpowered moves like Skull Bash and T2 out of QAC, thinking that the change in style would catch him offguard. I've tried coming in from above but he just spams Usmash. If I airdodge through it, he just starts spamming Fsmash again. When he plays as Fox, I also implement Pika's CG. But every strategy I try ends with the same result: I beat him, but I always am frustrated because of his ANNOYING SPAMMING.

I'm here to ask what i should do to counter is "Roll and smash" strategy. He's a defensive player that likes to switch between camping and aggressive styles in mid-game depending on where I am. When I've attempted to camp him, he just spams his lazer, when I get aggressive, he "Rolls and Smashes".

Being a very aggressive player myself, I am starting to feel good about my mindgames and being random during matches to mess with my opponents, but I just can't seem to not get pissed when I fight him. I always am the one getting hit a lot, but I am always the one that wins because I have skill and practice. Even when I dodge, he just pulls out his Fsmash on me.

What I have found to work is that when he is near me, he Fsmashes immediately when I am in range. I have gotten used to seeing this, and spot dodging into Dsmash; he doesn't know how to DI. Bus sometimes, he waits a bit before the Fsmash, so he gets me anyway. I don't know if he knows the term "Mindgames", but I know he is trying to mindgame me whether he knows it or not.

So guys, could I please have some advice on how to make David the one frustrated instead of me? What is an effective approach when he is camping and spamming his lazer, and what's a good strategy when he's approaching me? I've looked at the Wolf matchup thread already, but I just can't seem to use any knowledge from there to use against this guy.

Points (Following the outdated Wolf matchup thread at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182000):

- David apparently mains Wolf, and seconds Fox. He uses almost identical strategies for both characters. He said he also plays Martha, but I have yet to get frustrated slaughtering his Marth, because he just spams Dancing Blade. Not too tough. What I'm worried about is Wolf and Fox. Wolf more so.

- David uses his lazer to spam me from afar, and I prefer to jump or QAC around it, depending on how much I want to mindgame him. I have tried powershielding them, but it's just not comfortable for me, and I don't like spotdodging them. I can usually punish him out of this.

- Wolf and Fox's reflector is not a huge problem, since fighting my cousin (Who mained fox for a while) for so long made me get used to thundering so that T1 did not hit me when he was above me, and got me used to mindgaming with a combination of Thunder and my aerials. I also landed a fully charged Skull Bash on him at once point. =D David has never used his reflector in close combat with me, I don't think he knows it can cause damage when used close. I always SH or FH my Tjolts, so he doesn't get me back.

- I've successfully bated David into using his Dsmash early by rolling around him, and punished him for it. This is rare though, I have to get him pissed for that to work. I have never felt so much satisfaction as the time when I started to CG him, and because he doesn't know how to DI, he couldn't escape even when I got up to the 70% range. I hear him grunt, then yell, so he had to physically push me off of my seat to get me to end the CG. I just kept my eyes on the screen and chuckled as I proceeded to roll around him, and he Dsmashed right as I jumped. I QACed into a Nair, throwing him off the edge, then I QACed all the way across FD and QACed into an edgehog just at the right moment, dooming David to his death. I got a chorus of "Holy ***t's" and "Oh my god!'s". I think I also heard a "FALCOOON HAWG!" somewhere in there.

- I have trouble beating David's ground game. I've tried to keep it mostly a grounded game, since Wolf's aerials are better than Pika's. I still have trouble though.

Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry if my speech was a little too long, but this is the first time I have fought someone who I get frustrated with. I'm getting better every day thanks to all the helpful people here at SWF. If only I could find a good tournament or smashfest close to where I live...

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
oh i love people that roll around.
'm here to ask what i should do to counter is "Roll and smash" strategy.
For pika this should be easy. If you see anyone rolling behind you try Nair[i prefer nair],well spaced Dair, Fair[c-sticked] if you wanna go for aerial punish. But personally, i prefer utilt. Pivot grab is another option, dsmash too.

I mean the SECOND i see white frames and someone roll dodging behind me i start up utilt. Dont forget your buddy pika has a smaller shield. So try not to hold it for soo long that something like wolfs fsmash can poke through it.
- David uses his lazer to spam me from afar, and I prefer to jump or QAC around it, depending on how much I want to mindgame him. I have tried powershielding them, but it's just not comfortable for me, and I don't like spotdodging them. I can usually punish him out of this.
Powershielding is what i have to do to get by Falco's lasers. But if your really not comfortable with powershielding on pikachu, jump over his slow projectile. Just make sure you have a plan for what wolf will do next after you jump to him.
I've tried coming in from above but he just spams Usmash. If I airdodge through it, he just starts spamming Fsmash again. When he plays as Fox, I also implement Pika's CG. But every strategy I try ends with the same result: I beat him, but I always am frustrated because of his ANNOYING SPAMMING.
I think what you really need to learn OP is that you MUST BE PATIENT. Wait for him to make mistakes. Avoid the spam with well timed dodges, pshields. Its ok let him spam usmash on fox all he wants, when hes in animation delay move in and do the infinite on him. If you mess up no big deal, jump out of his range and tjolt him. Wait for the spam, move in patiently and confidently. Your on pikachu remember? Hes your favorite character. He can handle himself very well in a fight provided you keep a calm and collective head on your shoulders. There really isnt anything pikachu cannot do for you, provided your not holding him back with your emotions. Keep this in mind.

This idea of being patient applies to grabs too. Pikas got an excellent grab game..yet a horrible grab range. Wait for openings to grab and let the fun begin. Never force a grab on the opponent, you'll always be asking for punishment.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
oh i love people that roll around.

For pika this should be easy. If you see anyone rolling behind you try Nair[i prefer nair],well spaced Dair, Fair[c-sticked] if you wanna go for aerial punish. But personally, i prefer utilt. Pivot grab is another option, dsmash too.

I mean the SECOND i see white frames and someone roll dodging behind me i start up utilt. Dont forget your buddy pika has a smaller shield. So try not to hold it for soo long that something like wolfs fsmash can poke through it.

Powershielding is what i have to do to get by Falco's lasers. But if your really not comfortable with powershielding on pikachu, jump over his slow projectile. Just make sure you have a plan for what wolf will do next after you jump to him.

I think what you really need to learn OP is that you MUST BE PATIENT. Wait for him to make mistakes. Avoid the spam with well timed dodges, pshields. Its ok let him spam usmash on fox all he wants, when hes in animation delay move in and do the infinite on him. If you mess up no big deal, jump out of his range and tjolt him. Wait for the spam, move in patiently and confidently. Your on pikachu remember? Hes your favorite character. He can handle himself very well in a fight provided you keep a calm and collective head on your shoulders. There really isnt anything pikachu cannot do for you, provided your not holding him back with your emotions. Keep this in mind.

This idea of being patient applies to grabs too. Pikas got an excellent grab game..yet a horrible grab range. Wait for openings to grab and let the fun begin. Never force a grab on the opponent, you'll always be asking for punishment.
I guess you have a good point about being patient. I hadn't thought about that before. David really has a set strategy for the most part, he should be easy to predict if i just don't try to rush it too fast. He has to screw up sometime, so I can punish him easier. I think I'm getting pissed because I try to rush in because I've always been an aggressive player, and I just need to slow down and stop trying to overpower him all the time.

Utilt looks like the best option for a rolling person for my tastes. I'll have my brother roll around me and try to Fsmash be as wolf to get the feel for the reaction.

Thank you so much man. You made my day. :)

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Patience always wins except when the other dude is patient and playing really gay at the same time.

Try to identify his patterns and punish him for being predictable. Dsmash ***** rolls/spotdodges but don't spam it because it can get predictable plus they can DI out of it easily.

Spacies are TERRIBAD! off stage. putting them offstage and hitting them w/ Nair or Dair shoud put them in a bad situation, especially most especially wolf.

Usmash and Nair are great out of shield. Tilts get in fast damage and you can't actually be punished for it by most chars. Use Tjolts and tilts to create a zone where they can't be comfortable being in. He'll eventually roll into something or you'll get his Fsmash w/ some jolts as the match goes on.

Pika can play defense as well so try that and alternate defense and being passive aggressive. Get the chain grab in! that will make a huge difference.

altairian

Smash Lord
Here are some key things to remember when playing people like this:

DO NOT MINDGAME PEOPLE THAT DO NOT HAVE MINDGAMES OF THEIR OWN. If he's just doing the same stuff over and over, figure out the counters and do it over and over. If he doesn't adjust, you don't have to change anything.

Don't assume things won't work on him because they're not supposed to work on players that know the game well. I even know people who frequent smashboards that don't know how to SDI pika's dsmash.

Lunatik

Smash Rookie
this is where you pick up snake then rush him and ftilt him everytime he tries to roll behind you :chuckle:

gallax

Smash Hero
on a more serious note you shouldnt have any problems if you know his strategy like the back of your hand. actually this is quite good for you so that now you can learn to predict AND punish rolls.

also, when he does get behind you basically ally you need to do is shield when he fsmash's or dsmash's. since he doesnt grab you you should come out victorious!!

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Thank you all. I'll remember this when I fight everyone. It's knowledge like this that makes me adjust my playstyle for the better! Thanks so much!

i can't wait to try this out on him on Thursday. =D

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
People are still looking at this? 0.o

Well, he just immediately goes into Fsmash, so the best I can so is sh out of it to dodge the Fsmash, then I like to SKULL BASH TO DA FACE.

Just for the record, I've owned him twice with Skull Bash. Two stock of awesomeness.

Top Bottom