• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am in love with bombs.

Milln

Smash Champion
That's it. All I had to say. Bombs are too good. So fun to use, especially since I feel I have superb bomb control. Translated over from my Young Link days. =O I'm a little sad that I can't throw a bomb in the air, grab my opponent, then wait for it to come down and do an upthrow, using the opponent as an umbrella, anymore. Toon Link, can.. but.. he doesn't have the beastly reach that Adult Link does. ;.;

Anyway

Bombs.

<3

Control that match with EXPLOWZIONS

Milln

Smash Champion
I know you can. I just killed someone with it, earlier. I meant that Link's explosion is too big so that you have to throw them up into it instead of waiting till the bomb comes down a bit and it exploding while you're still in the middle of the upthrow.

Legan

Smash Lord
I do ******** bomb tricks all the time. They are alot more effective this time around and they cover a larger radius.

Milln

Smash Champion
I do ******** bomb tricks all the time. They are alot more effective this time around and they cover a larger radius.
Bomb Jumps are hot. No one expects them, not even yourself sometimes, but almost always puts you in a perfect position to plan your next attack or execute it.

Legan

Smash Lord
Yep, and it's good that you can still DI the direction you want when it explodes. It's nice that someone else appreciates bombs as much as i do. Nice

Skler

Smash Master
I wouldn't say bombs are more effective in brawl. They could actually set up for things before, now bombs are just another projectile (although almost lagless when thrown in the air).

Milln

Smash Champion
Bombs don't set up for anything?

Throw bomb up, grab opponent, throw them up into the bomb.
Throw bomb up, move back a bit and pull another, throw bomb forward right when other bomb hits for twice the hits on an unfocusedo pponent.
Peg someone with a bomb at low percentage = run up and free grab or dash attack
Peg someone with a bomb at higher percentage = free uair or UpBAir

To name a few.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Pahaha, throw one way up, cross over and pull out a bomb as your opponent tries to rush you from the first bomb and then hit them with the second bomb just as the other blows up on them. DOUBLE BOMB mmmm

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Anyone tested setting up Bomb combos with a Footstool jump?

Apparently the FSJ is the new awesome technique. Anyhow, the important thing is FSJing someone forces them to drop their shield, so let's think for a moment.

What if you could FSJ someone, throw a Bomb on them while they were stunned, then D-air them? Either way if you can at least throw the Bomb at them, that's progress for Link.

Milln

Smash Champion
Anyone tested setting up Bomb combos with a Footstool jump?

Apparently the FSJ is the new awesome technique. Anyhow, the important thing is FSJing someone forces them to drop their shield, so let's think for a moment.

What if you could FSJ someone, throw a Bomb on them while they were stunned, then D-air them? Either way if you can at least throw the Bomb at them, that's progress for Link.
Unfortunately... We've already done research on Footstool jumps over at the Lucario boards and it does not cancel their shield if it's already up. =\ You can still do the jump and rocket high in the sky, but they receive no negative frames.

Of course, this led to finding two ways to make the attack we wanted to do (dair) hit past the shield, anyway, so this IS INDEED a step in the right direction.

My hypothesis is if you footstool jump someone's shield with a bomb in hand, throw the bomb down and then fastfall a dair onto their shield, the bomb MIGHT have drained their shield enough to where your dair will go through it.

Skler

Smash Master
Bombs don't set up for anything?

Throw bomb up, grab opponent, throw them up into the bomb.
Because my opponent approaches on the ground when the bomb is above me, right?

Throw bomb up, move back a bit and pull another, throw bomb forward right when other bomb hits for twice the hits on an unfocusedo pponent.
Even bad players shouldn't fall for this.

Peg someone with a bomb at low percentage = run up and free grab or dash attack
This is the closest thing to a setup the bomb has, and it only works if your opponent has no idea what's going on and lets the bomb connect while they're on the ground. Even when it hits the lack of hitstun allows your opponent to avoid whatever attack you try to follow up with.

Peg someone with a bomb at higher percentage = free uair or UpBAir
Sometimes, unless your opponent airdodges or simply avoids Link's uair by moving to the side. Link has bad aerial mobility.

I don't mean to flame, but please don't just go around putting silly ideas into people's heads. Bombs are not for setting up anymore unless your opponent forgets where the L and R buttons are and/or DIs towards you at all times.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Bombs are better for the worst. The new properties of the bombs makes it less effective.

• Larger explosion radius gives limits how close you can get when you approach.
  • It does the same damage to you and your opponent. Before you take slightly less damage if you get hit by your own explosion.
  • Stronger knock back does not help you string together attacks. Don't give me "it kills now" because it doesn't until around 200 % and if your opponent lives that long you're doing something wrong.
  • Add in the easy to grab item engine or rather accidentally grab engine.

No offense, Infl-tan. What up with these bomb set ups you are coming up with? Why would your opponent come at you when you throw your bomb up. Why would you wait to see if your opponent comes at you when you throw your bomb up? Why do you think this would work? It seems like you're just making it up and not testing it.

Bombs are strictly for spamming from a distance now. You need to mix it up with your arrow, boomerang, and even at times the Zair for it to be effective.

As much as I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Skler. Melee Link is better than Brawl Link. Brawl Link just has better ground reach and running speed. If I had a voice I'd tell Nintendo to just put Melee Link design in Brawl even if they don't even update his visuals.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Skler is right....bombs aren't nearly as good as they were in melee...sad but true.

There's one VERY interesting trick I've learned, though...I came up with this when I saw a snake user (pozer wolf to be exact) grab a dropped 'nade and shield against an upclose attack, then BAYUM the attacker goes flying while snake blocked the blast!

While Link is doin' his projectile spam, pull out a bomb. I advise to do right after u hit a guy in midair from a distance with ur 'rang, considering you're bound to have to catch ur rang anyhow. Or u lose it for like 5 secs. Which pretty much sucks.

Then, keep spamming. Once the guy is all up in ur face, start blocking/dodging. Then, one of three things would happen (if ur bomb is about to 'splode, at least. <--This is crucial)...

a.) He attacks you, you block, then BOOM he goes flying from the 'splosion. Best case scenario, cuz then u can get away from him and projectile spam a lil more.

b.) He grabs you, then either he is smart and thows you before your bomb goes BOOM or the bomb goes BOOM while he's holding you. Worst case scenario, cuz u take a chunk of damage from both the grab and the bomb.

c.) He chickens out, and doesn't come close enough to you. Then you simply chunk the bomb at him, and it can possibly go off in his face, even if he dodges it. Or if he's above you, just keep blocking, he might still fall for it...no pun intended. :p Also effective.

The only thing that would make this better is if Link could hookshot in midair while ur still holding the bomb. That would actually enable him to chunk the bomb after he shanks the enemy with his hookshot, and thusly continue his projectile game. I don't think u can hookshot in midair if ur still holdin a bomb...but maybe u can still hookshot out of an airdodge? I dunno, I guess I'll try when I get back to my Wii. I'll post/edit when I get more det's.

Oh, and ImpactAR, Link isn't worse in Brawl...he's just different. He relies a lot more on defensive tactics than the one in melee already did. Also, he has one of the best projectile games in the...well, game. And have you ever seen Link's new dair in action? It's pure pwnage. Trust me, don't take him lightly in the hands of someone who understands his strengths.

...but take him VERY lightly in the hands of a n00b. :p

Edit: Oh, just a tip...you can spam like crazy with the gale boomerang, you can spam arrows against most opponents (be cautious about arrows against reflect noobs, however)...but DO NOT simply spam pulling out and chunking bomb after bomb at your opponent. That is the worst mistake you could make, because it is SO much slower and SO much more risky than your arrows and 'rang. It's not that it's worse than standing there, but it is MUCH worse than link's alternatives. Ignorance in this game is not bliss.

Oh, also, if you get the timing of link's bomb's explosions down, you can dodge or airdodge the blast from the bomb. Then i'd have to make another essay of a post to explain what could work out in that situation....cuz i'm that bored, lol.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Whether Link is better or worst is an opinion. It's mine that he's a bit worst.

Aerials are worst except for Bair IMO. Down Air and Up Air now with the game's gravity and physics makes it's a big risked to do either. Down Air has slight longer execution time and VERY easy to avoid. Sex kick lost so much hit box. Forward air is "better" in terms of how it swings, first fairly strong then second really strong. But I'd rather have a very strong first swing and a weak one because it would of been more useful IMO.

On the ground, Link's moves has been improved because he's a bit faster on execution and has wider range now.

However, Smash is still about aerials. Snake is the exception. That's my opinion, at least.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The U-air and D-air are worse in terms of lag, but the D-air is stronger in Brawl. I think it kills like 20% earlier than it did in Melee.

The F-air is like way better. It's easier to hit with and it has like NO LAG.

The only real change I noticed to the N-air was shortened duration. That is all really.

Brawl is more about ground game than you are giving it credit for. There is less air game because of the air dodge system and lack of L-cancel. In Brawl there are now truly characters that rule the ground. Snake isn't the only one. Bowser and Ganondorf are both a lot more ground oriented in Brawl, and the former is very good.

I'm pretty sure Link is overall slightly better than he was in Melee. Characters overall got hit pretty hard by the lack of combos in Brawl, so crying about the lack of setups from Bombs isn't really anything to write home about. The increased knockback IMO is a good thing. Yeah, on the ground it'll take like 200% to kill, but what about up in the air? It's situational as there is air dodging and item catching, but it is one extra way to keep your opponent off guard. Link's increased speed in attacks is very nice, particularly in his F-tilt and I think his F-smash which are still killers. His U-smash is REALLY good in Brawl because now the three hits are very easy to land + it has more horizontal range. Link's Clawshot is an amazing aerial attack. Also ledgeguarding with the Gale Boomerang is fun if you can aim the return.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I main Link and I've found that droping bombs is a useful tactic instead of throwing them down. It happens casually, so your opponent doesn't quite realize that a bomb just dropped.

Top Bottom