• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am a newb and...

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
do not understand the

Position [Basic Offensive Options] [Additional Options] [Leads Into...]

can someone please explain this to me, because i want to get better with kirby

thanks

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I dont exactly understand what you're asking for, but im gunna take a stab in the dark and see if this works.

-----

There will be some obvious variation to this, from player to player, so dont take these as "the law" of kirby. But it's a generalization that I use when I play "i guess"

1) Basic attack options
This is the stuff that you can start with, approach with, etc.

- f.tilt
- d.tilt
- f.air
- d.air
- d.smash

If you approach blind (with your back to your opponent), you can add
- u.tilt
- b.air

2) Additional options
This is the kind of stuff that you use after you have momentum, to break momentum, or in special situations.

- jab ( or jab-jab. I'm not a fan of the vulcan jab combo)
- swallow
- grab
- u.smash
- u.air

3) Leads Into . . .
These are things that can lead into other things (not specifically combos, but more of setups)

- grab
1) d. throw
- to tech chase
- to d.smash
- to u.tilt (on some characters, or on missed tech)
2) u. throw
- to u.tilt

- u.tilt
- to u.tilt
- to b.air
- to d.smash (low %)

- air f/b.B (depending on how you want to land)

1) landed front
- to d.smash
- to grab

2) landed blind
- to u.tilt
- to b.air

Those are some of the general things i use (I guess, i just had to stop and analyze my own game in my head, lol).

Like i said, they're not "the laws" of kirby or anything. Hell, im not a real kirby player IMO, although I have some hint of a clue as to what to do.

Sooooooo I hope this helps.

If it's completely wack, somebody'll be around to slap me down.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You should have posted this inquery in The Competitive Kirby thread, since it's related to that topic. But I'll answer your question here for convenience.

"Position" - refers to what state of posture your character is in. These include: standing, walking, dashing, crouching, jumping, sliding, prone, and ledge.

"Basic Offensive Options" - lists some common attacks you can perform while in a specific Position. For instance, while standing you can: Jab, U-tilt, and Grab

"Additional Options" - expand into some alternate moves. For instance, while Standing, you can: D-Smash, F-Smash, and U-Smash, depending on circumstance and intentions.

"Leads Into..." - refers to which Positions you can move into. Example: while standing you can lead into a Crouch, Walk, Dash, and Jump.

It may take a bit of thinking to see how this all strings together, but it all works. For instance, while Dashing, you can move into a "Jump" Position, which allows you to "Jump-Cancel" your Dash and perform a Jump-Canceled Grab.

Hope this helps. I'll probably include this description into the next update of the guide.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
^thanks timmy that does help a lot...right now im trying to get all the advanced moves down, also i printed our ur guide and will be usin that

Top Bottom