• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I always get nervous in matches and end up choking

bboylawson

Smash Cadet
happens to me all the time in tourneys.. but once i take them down a few stock i get more relaxed

jmic

Smash Ace
This happened to me for my first like 4 tournaments. My problem was not warming up enough in friendlies. If you're into music, bring your iPod and listen to it at a comfortable volume level. My last tournament that I attended, I significantly did better, even while being pummeled by my idol Falcon player (SilentSpectre). The music calmed me, and I was able to isolate the game, myself, and my opponent.

Everyone is different though. Just my two cents.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
kinda loosen up. like dont start attacking right away. just run around the stage for a little bit. this especially helps if u havnt warmed up adequately or at all

Anther

Smash Champion
Psh, I just convince myself that I pwn right while the countdown is on the screen. Then I accidentally suicide 5 seconds into the match.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i stay calm by not breathing at high points and not blinking at all. then after the match, i actually have to put these ,osturizers in my eye

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Don't think about the pressure. Just think about whatever it takes to beat the other person. That will keep your mind occupied.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
just focus on the match, and pay absolute attention to what your opponent is doing, and play to win. Ignore your emotion, rely on instinct

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^and by practice she means "go to tournies". Practicing at home doesn't help teh nerves. Which is why I bound to keep sucking, as I have almost no opportunity to go to tournies.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
this is pretty normal to get excited and nervous
the more tournaments you attend, the better it becomes

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I have the same problem... Both my nerves and my lack of confidence are terrible. Unless I face someone that I've been able to beat before, I go into the match expecting to lose. Then, I get all nervous, and lose all hope halfway through the match :( . Every time I face someone good (unless I play them often), I get all nervous and kill myself 1-2 times per match :( .

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Read your opponent. As previously stated, don't start the match flying towards your foe with arms flailing. Sit back (hypothetically, unless your problem is eye strain), and spend the first bit of the match keeping it cool and avoiding attacks. This way, you will start learning about your opponent. Test them. See what they do when you use certain attacks/approaches/recoveries. Once you've somewhat established your opponent, then you have a much better chance of succedding, and it will at least calm you down a lot more, as most of the stress is not knowing jack about who you're fighting.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Think about something other than winning and losing, for example I play against my friend, I'm down a stock, I think ,"I wonder what's for dinner? I hope its chicken." and bam! I win via 1-stock.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Yes, Leeroy has a point. If you focus too much on winning, it will only stress you out more. But don't take it to the extreme and get absent-minded.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Just wavedash like crazy when he's far away, try to loosen up a little bit. Try listening to music too, that helps some people.

PeachyPeach

Smash Rookie
I would have to agree with the comment about music.

For me it calms me down and i can concentrate more. I can focus on other things besides being nervous and stressed.

xXGrieverXx (Hayate)

Smash Cadet
Hmm... basically at tournies. I don't know why but if your nervous, you probably wanna win badly, right? Maybe not. When I'm nervous, I lose the concept of having fun and gain the feeling of winning.

lol that probably was useless so... For matches...

READ IF YOU EXPERIENCE UNCOMFORT BeFoRe THE MATCH!!!

Try and imagine that no one is there. look straight into the screen and block out any noises that distract you. Take some breaths and make them count. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Maybe talk with the person you're facing before the match to warm up a bit so you can get comfortable with them. Socializing with others is a good way to ease the nervousness =)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I found out through people telling me that I'm much better as a defensive fighter than an aggro person. So I sit back, wait for them to come to me, and then punish them. Which is odd considering the whole samus thing. Now when I play, I can be much more relaxed and comfortable knowing what my play style is and how to use it. Plus, it gives me a chance to read how they play while they wonder why I am just standing there.

Top Bottom