• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hungrybox wins Battle of the Five Gods -- Full Results and Payouts

Over last three days, twenty of Melee's best gathered in Austin, Texas, to compete in the Battle of the Five Gods at the world famous South by Southwest (SXSW) festival. Gods fell and upsets occurred, but one god stood above them all: Hungrybox. Although Mango put up an incredible fight by reseting the bracket 3-0 after an incredible loser's run, Hungrybox adapted to win his first major tournament with all 5 gods in attendance. Here are the full results of Battle of the Five Gods:

Place | Player | Eliminated In | Set Count | Game Count | Winnings
1st | Liquid`Hungrybox :jigglypuffmelee: | N/A | 7-1 | 18-5 | $13,000
2nd | C9 Mango :foxmelee: | Grand Finals | 8-2 | 23-13 | $5,000
3rd | [A]rmada :peachmelee::foxmelee: | Loser's Finals | 5-2 | 17-19 | $3,000
4th | PG Wobbles :icsmelee: | Loser's Semis | 7-4 | 23-19 | $1,500
5th | PG Plup :sheikmelee::samusmelee: | Winner's Quarters | 6-4 | 22-18 | $750
5th | Tempo Westballz :falcomelee::foxmelee: | Winner's Quarters | 4-2 | 14-11 | $750
7th | COG MVG Mew2King :sheikmelee::marthmelee::peachmelee::foxmelee: | Top 8 LR1 | 3-2 | 11-8 | $500
7th | GC Silent Wolf :foxmelee::falcomelee: | Top 8 LR1 | 3-6 | 17-20 | $500
9th | SPY MacD :peachmelee: | Playoffs Group | 3-4 | 12-13 | $0
10th | EG PPMD :falcomelee::marthmelee: | Playoffs Group | 2-5 | 9-16 | $0
11th | CLG SFAT :foxmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 6-8 | $0
12th | WFX Shroomed :sheikmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-7 | $0
12th | CLG PewPewU :marthmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-7 | $0
14th | DruggedFox :foxmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-8 | $0
14th | Tempo Axe :pikachumelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-8 | $0
16th | MIOM S2J :falconmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 4-7 | $0
17th | HugS :samusmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 4-8 | $0
18th | mYi Ice :foxmelee::falconmelee: | Group Stage | 0-3 | 3-9 | $0
18th | Lucky :foxmelee: | Group Stage | 0-3 | 3-9 | $0
20th | SPY Nintendude :icsmelee: | Group Stage | 0-3 | 1-9 | $0
All the brackets can be found on smashgg. Did you enjoy Battle of the Five Gods? What were your favorite moments? Share your thoughts in the comments below and tweet with the hashtag #FiveGods. A special thank you goes out to SXSW and the Battle of the Five Gods team for running this very special event.

Last edited:

Comments

I wonder, why a few people call themselves Liquid (Their name here)?
Liquid's a well known gaming organization i.e a team. In SSBM it's more of a sponsor but I know Liquid by their Dota 2 and CSGO teams, so it's actually quite universal. Like (C9) Mango (Cloud 9's one of the best CSGO teams in the world, and they expanded into SSBM and hired Mango). Hope this helps.

Liquid's a well known gaming organization i.e a team. In SSBM it's more of a sponsor but I know Liquid by their Dota 2 and CSGO teams, so it's actually quite universal. Like (C9) Mango (Cloud 9's one of the best CSGO teams in the world, and they expanded into SSBM and hired Mango). Hope this helps.
Oh, so they are clans?

What a tournament. Good stuff to Hungrybox for clutching it out, but props to Mang0 for putting up a good show. This is going to be Mang0's year, for sure.

The level of play HBox has shown in the last half year has been extraordinary, and it is about time the Smash community respect and appreciate the fantastic Melee he has been playing and about time HBox gets a huge reward for it.

HBox absolutely 100% without a doubt deserves all the accolades and awards he has won in Melee, and he has definitively placed himself as a legend of Melee worthy of the Melee Mt. Rushmore of all-time great players.

Truly he is a rare generation talent in not just Melee, but any fighting game, and I hope the Smash community embraces his talent, his mindset, his work ethic, and his unwavering ability and desire to win.
Wobbles was crazy this tournament. Wobbles vs. Westballz was one of the best sets I have ever watched.
Totally. Westballz and Wobbles for some reason have been a part of a ridiculous amount of great sets in Melee history, and their set at Five Gods was no exception.

I really hope Wobbles attends and plays well at more tournaments so we can see them not just face each other more often, but see more high level and epic sets out of Wobbles. He really showed that when he's good, he's great.
It's a sponsorship. Hungrybox is sponsored by Team Liquid to carry their brand when he goes to tournaments. They help fly him out and find him housing
And Team Liquid is also one of the biggest esports sponsors/teams out there. They've put a lot into Smash, sponsoring 5 Smashers (Ken, Korean DJ, Hungrybox, Chillindude and Nairo) and they definitely have helped the North American competitive Smash scene out big time by sponsoring those players.

Last edited:
Yay. Way to go HBox! Ah, M2K got 7th..not bad! I hope he and his hands are doing okay, because he's one of my favorite Smashers to watch

Too bad to see that PPMD didn't get higher, as well as M2K. I guess it is what would happen since PPMD hasn't been to very many tournaments in a while compared to the others.

With Plup's win over Mew2king, he has now beaten 5 out of the Big 6 in a serious set. If he ever takes a set off of Armada, he will be the first person to have beaten every member of the Big 6.
Leffen will be the first if he can beat himself. If only he could fight himself, lol.

Watching the replays on twitch soon - I was at the convention playing in the tabletop room with friends during top 8 and the whole center was going NUTS. The convention was literally shaking with all the yelling that was going on.

And long coming, since 2010, Hungrybox now beats out Gnes with the claim to the largest sum of money earned from one Smash tournament.

Congrats!
Not really, when you account for inflation Gnes got around $13,500.

And you really do have to account for it, since that's what has gotten smash prize pools so massive lately.

Last edited:
Not really, when you account for inflation Gnes got around $13,500.

And you really do have to account for it, since that's what has gotten smash prize pools so massive lately.
Doesn't really matter. Money is money and hungrybox got the most from any one tournament. Screw value and inflation.

M2K wasn't playing that great towards the end, really wanted to see the return of the robot! Still a fantastic tournament nonetheless. Congrats, HBox. :jigglypuffmelee:

Last edited:
Top Bottom