• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

huh? the pokemon franchise shouldnt have much representation you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
BAM!
ehhh... i dunno if this is important enough to make a thread over, but pokemon is the 2nd best selling franchise (following Mario, but catching up)... ever

in other words... Pokemon is a very important franchise to nintendo. in other words, it deserves alot of representation in SSB. got any comments? i think this is pretty obvious, but yeah...

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Ok, I'll bite. Yeah, you're right. The franchise's that keep Nintendo afloat should be the one's to have the most character representation, but the developers shouldn't go crazy & add too many characters from one franchise. That's pokemon's problem, they have 400 to 450 hence the developers have a tough time of who to add to Brawl & who not to add.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
yeah, they shouldnt add too many characters, but they shouldnt try making their amount of characters equal with more minor franchises. if pokemon gets like 8 characters and FE gets 4, noone should complain.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
i dunno if this is important enough to make a thread over
I don't think it is, because anyone who has been paying attention to Nintendo (or videogames in general) know what a big franchise Pokemon is. The bigger the franchise, the more it gets in fighting crossovers. In other words, this is one of the blatantly obvious things to be happening in Brawl.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
I don't think it is, because anyone who has been paying attention to Nintendo (or videogames in general) know what a big franchise Pokemon is. The bigger the franchise, the more it gets in fighting crossovers. In other words, this is one of the blatantly obvious things to be happening in Brawl.
yeah, i know... well, at least there is a link for the noobs that go "nooo! pokemon is 4 babys! they should only have 2 characters"

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
Well, last game, 4 out of 25 characters were Pokemon. (And with all the other franchises that's actually a lot.)
So why should Brawl be any different? I mean, Pokemon's a big-seller and not to mention a great franchise to include a lot of characters because of all the types and stuff.
Pokemon deserves recognition.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't forget the Pokéball is also a huge rep! You know how many Pokémon characters come flying out of those things? I'm fine with 4 characters, maybe 5 but I want equality between franchises above all...

Pokémon is an excelent franchise for all ages I agree. Still it already gets huge representation in SSB. In the original, only Mario and Pokémon got 2 characters where Mario only got a clone, and Pokémon got an unique one not to mentoin you get Jigglypuff alot earlier than Luigi.

5 characters for one franchise is ALOT. We Donkey Kong Country, Metroid and F Zero fans are all screaming for atleast one more character, yet I as a DKC fan still am fine with 4/5 Pokémon characters... Mario also didn't had alot of characters, only 5. Sure Yoshi and DK also appear on Mario games but DK atleast deserves to NOT be called a Mario character, and Dr.Mario is likely to leave. Wario may be added, but he represents his own franchise WarioWare.

I think that just as in Melee, Pokémon will have around 4 characters. Which is an amount you shouldn't complain about.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
New series deserve more representation than already overrepresented ones that are declining in popularity (like pokemon). I want to see at least Advance Wars get a character before new pokemon. Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Advance Wars, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Legend of Stafy, Tomato Adventure and to a lesser extent Chibi Robo and Drill Dozer all deserve representation.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
bah, lets see... SSB had 12 chars. melee had 26 chars. if they are going with a pattern, chances are that they are going to just about double the amount of characters they had in melee to brawl, and have around 50 characters.

im not saying that any franchise should hog up the roster, but if the roster is going to be just about doubled, why shouldnt they add any more characters from nintendo's second most important franchise? not adding any more pokemon characters would literally halve the percentage of space that the that the franchise takes up. pokemon has so many unique characters to offer, so why shouldnt they get any more characters?

of course other franchises should get characters, but pokemon should at least maintain some sort of priority over lesser franchises.
SSBM's roster has 16% pokemon characters. if pokemon has 6 characters, their percentage of characters in brawl would be dropped to 12%. 12% isnt that much.

chances are that non represented franchises are only going to get 1 character, so they wouldnt take up much space anyway. they're nothing to make a big deal over.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
of course other franchises should get characters, but pokemon should at least maintain some sort of priority over lesser franchises.
SSBM's roster has 16% pokemon characters. if pokemon has 6 characters, their percentage of characters in brawl would be dropped to 12%. 12% isnt that much.
12% is MORE then enough. Let's asume that F Zero will only have C.Falcon in Brawl, and let's asume there are 40 characters. Then F Zero would only have 2.5%. Pokémon will then have 4.8 as much representation in characters... If you count the Pokéballs I'm sure it will be far more.

6 Pokémon characters is far too much. I doubt even Mario will get as much! And as xianfeng (btw welcome back ;) ) said, there are alot of newer franchises which also deserve representation.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
bah, lets see... SSB had 12 chars. melee had 26 chars. if they are going with a pattern, chances are that they are going to just about double the amount of characters they had in melee to brawl, and have around 50 characters.

im not saying that any franchise should hog up the roster, but if the roster is going to be just about doubled, why shouldnt they add any more characters from nintendo's second most important franchise? not adding any more pokemon characters would literally halve the percentage of space that the that the franchise takes up. pokemon has so many unique characters to offer, so why shouldnt they get any more characters?

chances are that non represented franchises are only going to get 1 character, so they wouldnt take up much space anyway. they're nothing to make a big deal over.
I'd be satisfied with 50 characters on Brawl.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Assuming a 40 character roster, and at least 1-2 new characters for each series, adding in most of the Melee roster and the announced characters, there isn't a whole lot more space for extra characters from new series'. And I want as many new characters as they can fit in.

4-5 pokemon is enough. Any more would be over saturation, and could take spots away from unrepresented series'.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
New series deserve more representation than already overrepresented ones that are declining in popularity (like pokemon)
I agree with most of your statement, but declining in popularity? Not at all. To quote Wikipedia:

"The games became the fastest selling Nintendo DS titles in Japan for the first week of sales since its release, a record previously held by New Super Mario Bros.. Within forty-six days, the games sold three million units, becoming the fastest DS game to do so, and by the end of the year, the number increased to five million units in just under three months, marking itself as the fastest- and best-selling Pokémon game in Japan alone."

You may mean to say that the generation that played Red and Blue are no longer playing it, but Pokemon has only picked up speed and is more legendary and popular than ever before.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You may mean to say that the generation that played Red and Blue are no longer playing it, but Pokemon has only picked up speed and is more legendary and popular than ever before.
This is so true, I was around 8 when I played Yellow, then I got Red, then Silver, then Crystal, then Ruby and finally Fire Red. I don't plan to buy into Pokemon until I see changes in the battle system, it's as old as the series and it's only limiting how good Pokemon could be.

@ The author

They shouldn't get too much representation otherwise people will complain when their favorite pokemon is left out completely. After all, they have like 400 to choose from.

Black/Light

Smash Master
As F-O said, this is nintendo's 2nd highest series EVER (as most of you should have known ). And Pokemon DP seems to be bringing new life into the series seeing as it has sold faster than it's highest selling games in Japan alone (RB).
http://gonintendo.com/?p=12574#comments

It's here, it's still VERY popular and VERY strong, its bringing in the big bucks (right behind the Nintendo mascot). . .chances are that they are going to do just as they did before and make it one of the most repped series as we all should know. In fact, I think they will put in as many pokemon as Mario characters (or like one behind).

I think that there will be 6-7 pokemon (one replacing Pichu) and 7-8 Mario characters (one replacing Doc).

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
Hmm... What should those Pokemon be then?

My ideas.
Blaziken, Lucario, maybe Deoxys.

Another interesting idea would be to put in tyrogue. Depending on your battle style he'll evolve after a certain period of time(or damage) into a different "Hitmon" Pokemon. I doubt it, but...

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
The crux of the issue is basically, which pokemon are more important than all other pokemon AND would make good characters? I think Mewtwo is the only Pokemon that felt like a final boss battle, don't you? After that, I don't know. I'm all for adding Red and getting all the starter pokemon in. And I think Deoxys would be too hard to implement in a way that doesn't make him too complicated, overpower him, or do an injustice to what makes him unique.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Does this really need its own thread? Talk about it in Pokemon topics where people are already talking about it. This has nothing to do with a specific character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom