• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hugging with Wolf

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Ok, so if there is one problem in the world I have with Wolf, it's hugging.

I can do it, but not well and only under certain conditions such as I'm already next to the edge or I dodge roll into it first. It seems nigh impossible for me to hug the edge from a full on sprint. If I could get some help with this that would be great.

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
my tech that i utilize when hug sprinting is to hold the dstick in a 'swooping' motion. for example if youre on fd and youre running to the left edge:

1) running: dstick will be hugged leftside (*note by 'hug' i mean the dstick should be firmly against the plastic edge of the controller)
2) on ledge: swoop the dstick (hugging the outter plastic) from
left --> bottom left diagonal --> bottom --> bottom right diagonal --> right. it should look like the letter U from left to right

by doing a swooping U motion instead of a left/right motion you will ff to a hug as well as get a rhythm down, instead of just left tap right tap

i suggest practicing with koopa/Ds first.. for some reason (im assuming their size) its MUCH easier to hug out of sprints. once you have their timing down just speed it up to adjust for wolf.

hope this helps
-tok

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
To tell you the truth Kash, I believe that I've never tried hugging with wolf, simply because I share the same problem. If anything, what TOk said above is pretty much how I do it when I do hug with wolf. It's alto faster and easier, but the timings just weird, but we wolf players can adjust.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I've had ridiculous trouble with this, I finally decided on running off the ledge and doing a quick wolf flash back to the ledge, it seems to be working so far, and it seems to be a lot more reliable than the method tokerella mentioned (or at least for me).

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i haven't been able to sprint and turn around and hug the edge, so i do another thing. What i do is roll towards the edge, which will cause me to face the other way, and then tap the joystick towards the edge lightly. Wolf should just fall and automatically grab the edge. This isn't as effective as hugging, but it's something.

Lada

Smash Apprentice
well maybe you shouldnt hug..
and all u have to do is instant edge hog just like Tokerella said..

=]

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
The instant edgehog Tokerella mentioned is hugging, and yes, you should.

I've lost TOURNAMENTS simply because I could not grab the edge quickly. That's just stupid. I shouldn't be losing matches because of this.

I'll practice more. Thanks. It seems like a lot of Wolf players can't or don't force themselves to learn to hug and they are embarassed to admit it. It really is a vital core technique.

Thanks again.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Wolf's not very huggable. All those claws and spikes and leather. He could possibly have fleas etc. Oh wait, somebody already made a joke about the topic title...

Seriously though, I usually just do a shorthop to edgehog. Wolf moves fast in the air. It's not mach slower than the wolf flash method.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I don't have much trouble performing hugging. I find it much more difficult to time it so that it's actually effective.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Ohh I see what you mean. I dont see how this technique can be very useful, the only characters I would want to use this on would be ZSS, Peach and Zelda.
Are you kidding me?

Try more characters like Mario, Wolf, Ike, Marth, ZSS, Olimar, Sheik, Zelda, and just about any freaking character in the game.

Wolf is the hardest character in the game to instant edge hog with.
I'm not sure about that, but he is unnecessarily difficult.

JCav

Smash Lord
wolf is very hard to get down but once you get the timing, you should be able to hug with any character because it is difficult with wolf

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Oh ****... now I get Sesshomuronay's first post... I feel like a dumb ***, lol. Yeah, I'd really only like to hug ZSS or Zelda... perhaps more than a hug.

Peach is a hoe, though.

Yeah, I practiced it some more along with some Zero Lag Cancel Fairs and Boost Smashing. I got it down more, but I still can't do it on command. I'd say.... sixty percent of the time I can do it now. Perhaps I'll practice some more today.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Boost Smashing is a technique executed by dashing then dash attacking, followed by immediately hitting Up and Z. This will result in Wolf to slide a little more than half the distance of Battlefield (at maximum distance) while doing and/or charging an Up Smash. Very useful but hard to get down.

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
oh nice learn something everyday, i used to main snake with mortar sliding.. so this should be cake to pick up :D

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
oh nice learn something everyday, i used to main snake with mortar sliding.. so this should be cake to pick up :D
Yes. However, Mortar Sliding is very easy with Snake. Boost Smashing is much harder. I believe Snake is the easiest character in the game to Boost Smash with (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and Wolf is one of the hardest (though I don't know about the hardest).

Wolf doesn't seem like the kind of guy who gives hugs. It's a shame, he must have soft fur.

Ta ha, the scrub made a funney! No I am not a furry, just a dog person.

Well, I guess I should start practicing that...it's used for edgehogging, amirite?
Yes. I'd rather give him a high five, though.

Top Bottom