• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hub House III - San Francisco: 5/1/10

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
One time I was wrong about the nature of auto-cancelling in Brawl and Miles corrected me. Other than that I'm right about everything.

Hey Kevin, can you explain your reasoning behind character select taking place after the stage striking as opposed to before?

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
brian is definitely right that draft crews in a larger tournament and randoms is dumb.

pockyD

Smash Legend
also the audio wasn't originally desynced, but due to the way we recorded (only used 1 sound cable instead of 2 :( ), there was only sound on one side, which honestly bothers me more

in the future i'll make sure to use all 3 (i was tricked because the tv only had 2 inputs and i wasn't thinking)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I would like to try out a ruleset which uses the following stage rules (slightly modified from an idea by Dastrn):

An odd number of stages are in the set list. Each person takes turns striking until there are 3 stages remaining. These are the 3 stages that may be played in the set. Each player then strikes one more stage to determine what the first stage is. Whoever struck first in the initial round of striking strikes second for this part. Advanced slob picks then apply as does DSR. Replace 3 with 5 in the case of finals/semis. The stage list can in principle include every stage in the game since each player can decide for themselves what is "neutral" or not.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I would like to try out a ruleset which uses the following stage rules (slightly modified from an idea by Dastrn):

An odd number of stages are in the set list. Each person takes turns striking until there are 3 stages remaining. These are the 3 stages that may be played in the set. Each player then strikes one more stage to determine what the first stage is. Whoever struck first in the initial round of striking strikes second for this part. Advanced slob picks then apply as does DSR. Replace 3 with 5 in the case of finals/semis. The stage list can in principle include every stage in the game since each player can decide for themselves what is "neutral" or not.
what's the goal of this system?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
what's the goal of this system?
Some question that counterpicking should exist at all, and I want to examine that idea. This system mostly mitigates the effect stage counterpicks but leaves room for changing stages based on player style. By that I mean, in the no-CP context, optimally a set would be played on the "true neutral" of the matchup - we would just strike down to one stage for the set. But player style is a factor in this, and is generally unknown beforehand, so we leave a couple extra stages open to compensate for that - you're not locked into a stage you couldn't have known was sub-optimal for the whole set.

This of course comes at the expense of stage variety, which is more than just an aesthetic concern - we might decide that it makes for a better game if players are forced to have a more diverse skill-set stage-wise, and this might outweigh concerns about whether CPs should exist or not.

pockyD

Smash Legend
given that with the new fudd's thing announced, there's going to be tournaments scheduled 3 weeks straight after this weekend

i'd like to get a gauge of how much interest there would actually be for this

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
She opened your door. That doesnt work with my race, cops would've been there in seconds.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah but.. ics blows harder on cruise.
that's not really true imo... the left part favors jiggly (IC are probably among the worst characters in the game on this part), but the top and the ship both favor ice climbers (ESPECIALLY the top)

and anyway i think ICs blow harder on brinstar

those stages are dumb to begin with.
agreed

that's why I quit playing ice climbers

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
I can't go to any tournaments after May 14th so I'll be missing all that goodness. I'd like to go to one before I leave for NY, so I'd love to come to this.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
I'd like to come if there is space. Maybe bring one other (MAYBE)

im like 80% on being able to go if I could

so. . . . posssibly?

Top Bottom