• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How?

bogsnes

Smash Rookie
how does you get marths spike to work?
i sweetspot it but the lvl 9 opponents just jump out of it?
the reason i am playing lvl 9s is that i not have got any other to play against

IrArby

Smash Ace
If your hitting with the tip it works best especially the back of it (behind you) which has more range. With lvl 9s you'll have alot of trouble pulling off most combos because they have perfect DI and get out of hitstun from your attacks as fast as the game will allow which is why they Up B out of you spike.
That being said, if your looking to play marth competitively with advanced techs you'll want to practice your combos on lvl 1s. No more than lvl 3 probably.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Also, at lower percentages the stun from the spike isn't long enough to kill them. It'll definitely kill everyone at about forty or sixty percent though, depending on their falling speed.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Are you playing the PAL-edition?

cuz then he meteor cancels
I don't believe spikes can be meteor-cancelled. That's why they're not meteor smashes, they're spikes.

Anyway, as it's been rightfully said before, don't practice on level 9's. They breed bad habits. Levels 1-3 are fine, though. Also, I heard that level 8 Game and Watches seem to play like humans. Not sure why but apparently it really throws people for a loop.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Yeahno if ur spike is sweetspotted properly it should work against level nines. Just don't try to spike someone at low percents! It's not going to work, whether it's a human or a CP opponent. I play against l9s too, maybe that's why I don't do soo well in tourneys X-\

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe spikes can be meteor-cancelled. That's why they're not meteor smashes, they're spikes.

Anyway, as it's been rightfully said before, don't practice on level 9's. They breed bad habits. Levels 1-3 are fine, though. Also, I heard that level 8 Game and Watches seem to play like humans. Not sure why but apparently it really throws people for a loop.
the pal version of smash changed marths d air into a meteor smash, thats why it can be meteor canceled. So if this dude is from europe then thats the problem, if not then he needs more tech practice.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman

lvl 8 game and watches play more like humans than any other CPU, but they're still pretty far off

Proverbs

Smash Lord
the pal version of smash changed marths d air into a meteor smash, thats why it can be meteor canceled. So if this dude is from europe then thats the problem, if not then he needs more tech practice.
Ah, I didn't know that. That's prettty lame. Marth's spike is amazing. If they're going to change Marth's spike into a meteor they should make it so Fox's shine doesn't spike at all. Good thing I live in the US.

Yeahno if ur spike is sweetspotted properly it should work against level nines. Just don't try to spike someone at low percents! It's not going to work, whether it's a human or a CP opponent. I play against l9s too, maybe that's why I don't do soo well in tourneys X-\
Spiking at early percents is fine. At 50% a Samus can't recover from being spiked by Marth, and Samus has the most broken recovery in the game (she can just grapple the bottom of the stage to make it back). But for everyone else, early percents should be fine. Even if they can recover, they might not be able to react quick enough. And if they are going to try to recover, edgehog and if they're just barely going to grab the edge, roll. If they're going to go a bit above, refresh your invincibility, drop off, DJ and d-air slightly above the stage so they get spiked again. The second time they're probably not going to make it back.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Depends on what stage you're on. I know Sheik, Y. Link and Samus can recover from the bottom of FoD -- the latter two without a second jump.

IrArby

Smash Ace
In the PAL version Marth doesn't slide to Fox's shine so you can't waveshine combo him. Sounds like a fair trade to me between those two. Actually, the lack of waveshines on PAL Marth would ruin that matchup for Fox.

I think Shieks CG is non-existent in PAL aswell though. Still, Marth has many other less situational edgeguards. I'd worry more about getting those down first.

On a personal note, I hate edited versions of stuff. I have a really late copy of Melee that won't let you Super Bomb Jump with Link/Y.Link or use your bombs to do bomb jumps.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah, I have a later version of Melee too, so no flame cancels with Bowser. That always throws me off a lot.

Ledgehop flame cancels are amazing! For Bowser, anyway. But I digress.

PAL, I think Marth falls over to Fox's shine, but in the normal version (the acronym escapes my memory) Marth slides too far anyway, providing you DI away from Fox.

IrArby

Smash Ace
If Fox performs a perfect wavedash and follows immediately with a dash to grab it is unescapable. DIing correctly makes it very difficult and theres minimal room for error but the Fox can still pull it off.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Top Bottom