• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you "fix" the rumored 35 roster?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been a member here since 2006 and this is strangely enough the first thread I've ever made. :laugh:

Anyways, unless you've been living in a cave, you've either seen or heard about the crappy (and that's putting it mildly) roster that Brawl is going to have according to some of the "prophets." In case you are one of these cave dwellers, here it is:

Starting roster:

1. Mario
2. Peach
3. Bowser
4. Pikachu
5. Pokemon Trainer with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard
6. Link
7. Zelda/Shiek
8. Fox
9. Kirby
10. Metaknight
11. King Dedede
12. Donkey Kong
13. Diddy Kong
14. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
15. Lucas
16. Ike
17. Pit
18. Wario
19. Ice Climbers
20. Yoshi
21. Captain Olimar

Unlockable roster:

22. Captain Falcon
23. Luigi
24. Ness
25. Jigglypuff
26. Lucario
27. Ganondorf
28. Cell Shaded Young Link
29. Falco
30. Wolf
31. Marth
32. Mr. Game and Watch
33. Sonic
34. Snake
35. ROB (Yes, the little Robot toy from the NES era)

(While typing this, I think I actually heard some people throwing themselves off a cliff. :chuckle:)

If you are like most people here, you probably don't like this roster. (Once again, in mild terms.) If you're like most people here, you're problem with this roster is not the number of characters but rather the uniqueness and creativity of them. Now for the point of this thread...

Pretend you are Sakurai and you present this roster to the fans back in the summer of 2007. Needless to say, most of the fans are royally disgruntled and they demand it to be changed. You go back to the developers and you decide that you want to keep same number of characters but want to change some of them to meet most of the fans demands for a unique and intersting roster. In this thread, create a 35 character roster that you think would appeal to most fans and be creatively sound.

This is what I'd do:

Remove-

1. Ness
2. Wolf
3. ROB
4. Cell Shaded Young Link

Explanation why-

Ness and Lucas are very similar as it is even to the point where their character designs almost overlap. In the end, the game doesn't need two Ness's. I also put Mother's small size as a franchise into consideration.

Having Wolf in instead of Krystal is just a big mistake. Krystal easily has the larger fanbase, offers many more possibilites when it comes to movesets, adds a very deserving female to the roster, and she has definately played a much larger role in the most recent Star Fox games then Wolf. With that added, the decision was easy to make.

ROB doesn't really warrant a spot in Brawl. To say he's important to Nintendo's history is laughable, he's far from being completely forgotten like Mr. Game and Watch was (keep in mind that he was unlockable in Mario Kart DS two years ago), and the people that do want him are hardly as vocal as people were for the likes of Pit or even Marth. In the end, you basically have a character that carries a slight amount of noglastia and a little bit of a WTF factor and little more.

In reality, I have nothing against Cell Shaded Young Link and would definately have him in a roster of 40 or more characters but cuts had to be made. I gave him the boot simply because his character design is so radically different from his fellow Zelda reps and fear that the developers would make him into a "Luigified" version of Adult Link despite his many unique qualities. (IE; giving him the grappling hook instead of the hook shot, making his spin attack harder to control, etc; little changes that wouldn't truly do the character justice.)

Add-

1. Krystal
2. Ridley
3. Megaman OR Bomberman
4. Isaac OR Geno

Explanation why-

I've already explained the almost countless benefits of adding Krystal to the roster. As far as characters go, she's definately a home run when it comes to not only pleasing the fans but bringing creative ideas to the table.

Ridley is another character that really needs no explanation as to his benefits. For starters, he's a genuine villian, which gives Brawl something it is currently shorthanded in, has been with his respective franchise since it's beginning and very important to it, offers many unique moveset possibilities not only because of his character design but the many ways in which he has been represented through out his history, gives representation to a franchise that many feel has been given the short of the stick despite its significance to Nintendo, and, of course, he's definately a fan favorite.

Once again, two characters that just seem obvious. Like the last two characters, these two definately have decent fanbases and offer many unique moveset possibilities. In case you didn't know, both of these characters are third party but, unlike Sonic and Snake, they have very long histories with Nintendo (1987 and 1986, respectively), both Capcom and Hudson Soft have helped Nintendo through out the years, and both of them have more then 10 Nintendo exclusives under their belts. While they have appeared on other platforms, neither of these characters has really ever strayed too far from Nintendo and some people even like to consider them Nintendo characters. Both franchises have also contributed a decent amount to gaming (Bomberman with the 6+ multiplayer function of his early games and Megaman in terms of allowing the player to choice their own path, his games' music, level design, etc) and thus are very worthy canidiates. Needless to say, most people would be happy with the addition of either character.

It's an understatement to say that Geno and Isaac are unique characters. Both have decent cult followings and are not immediately identifiable to casual Nintendo fans. Both offer very unique movesets. Isaac fights with a sword AND uses magic while Geno is essentially a wooden doll with the artillary of a small army. While these are important, there is an underlying to these characters that many people wouldn't see right away; both represent third parties that have made a decent amount of joint projects with Nintendo. Isaac belongs to Camelot, the people who created the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games and Geno belongs to Square Enix, the people who obviously created Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and the recent Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Hidaki Street. Wouldn't it be fair to pay tribute to either one of these companies? Both characters also come from games that many people consider to be overlooked or even forgotten by the sands of time like Kid Icarus was. Also, unlike ROB, both of these characters would carry a decent amount of the WTF factor in the same way that Mr. Game and Watch did the world and Marth did to those who lived outside of Japan. Still, outside of the fact that they are technically third party (but still part of what are essentially first/second party franchises), they have very little drawbacks.

Well, that's about it. Also, keep in mind that this thread is intended to express your own ideas instead (because I'm sure at least one person will do it) storm in here and claim that I'm a "ungrateful brat" for not liking the subpar roster we might recieve. Just to reinterate:

Like most people, it's the quality, not the quantity that severelly bugs me about Brawl's potential final roster.

As always, try to have fun with this.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Isaac is actually first-party (GS characters are owned by Nintendo).

Anyway, I'd simply add everyone from Melee and add on.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
i agree with the topic creator 100%... i would remove those characters too, and replace them with his suggestions (although i would go with both isaac and geno over the 3rd parties)

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
The roster doesnt need 'fixing'. People who crack it if they dont get their way need fixing. The supposed 35 roster, fake or not, is fine. So it doesnt cater to EVERYONE, its unrealistic to think that brawl would have the ideal roster anyway.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't really think that there's anything wrong with it. If that really is the roster though, I'm surprised that the only new female character is Zero Suit Samus.

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
i say just add krystal, lucario, jigg, ness(lucario jigg and ness are confirmed go to www.brawlcentral.com try to find the sticer power-up video pause on 4:20-4:22
ganon, marth, geno, and alot more requested characters it will make brawl more interesting, but we do need more characters!

plus i don't think that's a bad roster just take out falco, cel-link, and rob and add 3 good characters

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
I agree with the OP, but I think Isaac is a little more likely than Geno, and both of them are much more likely than either of the Third Parties, because they're at least partially Nintendo-owned(or in Isaac's case, fully Nintendowned).

But yeah, I find it hard to believe that Sakurai would just give us this half-baked roster, and make 75% of the new characters starters. It makes more sense to make 75% of them unlockables, and have the starting roster be mostly vets with a few essentials like Pit and Wario, instead of making most of the unlockables veterans.

For that alone, I don't believe that bogus roster.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
The roster doesnt need 'fixing'. People who crack it if they dont get their way need fixing. The supposed 35 roster, fake or not, is fine. So it doesnt cater to EVERYONE, its unrealistic to think that brawl would have the ideal roster anyway.
Fine? FINE? FINE!!!????!!!!
Sorry, but this crappy, half-arsed roster is FAR from fine.
For one, just 35 characters is completely unacceptable. They had almost 3 years to work on this game, and had a gigantic development team of 100-700. If they have anything less than 40 characters, especially since Smash is a game built on fanservice, and large amounts of content.

Secondly, why on earth would sakurai just flat-out ignore the much more popular choices like Krystal, geno, megaman, takamaru, and isaac, and add characters like.....wolf and ROB? I don't think so.

Smash is a game FOCUSED on characters. Why else would have sakurai made the character poll? Because smash is about exactly that: characters. Especially with the millions of smash fans breathing down sakurai's neck. To just let them all down with this horrible roster from hell is quite ********.

Frankly, having a roster this pathetic in such an important game is as unrealistic as a 200 character roster.
Remember, pessimism=/=realism.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Add-

1. Krystal
2. Ridley
3. Megaman OR Bomberman
4. Isaac OR Geno

You ought to really make more threads, you got just what this board needs... Logic!

Not senseless fandom and wants. I agree that that is the most pluasable new playable characters who be in this game (However I feel Isaac and Bomberman deserves the spot more than the other halfs you stated, but that may just be my wishful thinkin').

:bee: Have a cookie sir!

Giga Pichu

Smash Apprentice
THIS ROSTER IS SO BAD, I CANNOT STAND FOR WORDS!!!! I cant beleive a person would even NOT THINK ABOUT putting in characters like K. Rool, Ridley, and Krystal! 3 of the most popular choices! I mean, thats just lame brained. (rant over)

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
1. Get rid of ROB, Wolf, and Falco. Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff were already confirmed through the Japanese Wii site video.
2. Replace the above characters with Ridley, Micaiah, and Krystal.
3. If needed, add Mewtwo, Isaac, Megaman, and King K. Rool.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's hilarious how this post falls exactly into the stereotypical "intellectual elite" posts I made earlier that describe how OBVIOUSLY there's "wrong with you" if you a dissatisfied with what could end up being Brawl's final roster. Also, you blow a hole the size of tennis ball in your foot when you said "so it doesn't cater to everyone." Yes, you're right but at the same time it barely caters to most people's basic wants. Here you have a game that probably has 300 Assist Trophies, 100 pokeball pokemon, a rumored 41 stages, a rumored 400 music tracks, probably 500-600 trophies, four different controller options, Wifi modes for modes that, quite frankly, really didn't need them, full blown cutscenes, demos for probably 20+ different games, a spectator mode, God knows how many stickers with power ups (because we all know that was a nessecity), and here you try to tell me that it was beyond the developers power to make a creative and decent roster that wasn't mostly characters they "forgot" to add in Melee? 700 people spanning Nintendo's history with outstanding talent and 27 months of development can only produce a roster that makes most people want to stick their tongue in an electrical socket? Is that what you're trying to convince me of because, if so, you're doing a terrible job...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
See how not everybody can agree on exactly which characters should be added to "fix" the roster? Not everybody can even agree on which ones should be taken out. A lot of people wanted Wolf, Ness, and WW Link to be in the game. So there's nothing wrong with that roster the way it is. They can't possibly make one roster that includes everyone that everybody wants.

If the roster was A, and one person thought it should be B, one person thought it should be C, and one person thought it should be D, then all 3 of them would agree that it shouldn't be A. But that doesn't mean that they all agree on what it should be. If they changed it to B, the people who wanted it to be C and D would still be unhappy, and so would the people who liked it when it was A. So just as many people would complain no matter what they changed it to.

The game isn't being made for YOU specifically. It's ridiculous and unreasonable to think that any character roster they could come up with will include everyone YOU think should be in the game, and no one that YOU think shouldn't be in the game.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
Fair and Balanced--Like FoxNews? lol

All it needs is a little love, Charlie Brown.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this roster, really. Its origins are unique, and it does have input from several people. From what I understand, though, there wasn't a lot of overlap between the people that came up with this list. It was like three to five characters that they contributed.

I guess my thoughts are that if these people are true, then maybe other people are true as well. (That goes for falsehoods, as well.) I'm sure the individuals who put this list together are decent enough people. The nature of the list seems a bit patch-worked, and there could be opportunities for holes.

I don't think I would necessarily boot anyone out. (Although, ROB may be my new punching bag.) I think it wouldn't be too far-fetched to add a few people in. Personally, I'd throw in Takamaru and Krystal, but maybe not everyone would like that.

At this point, I choose to remain optimistic and open-minded.

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
Switch ROB for Ridley I'll be fine with this.

Geno, Megaman and Sukapon would be nice too, but whatever.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I really won't bother trying to fix it because 35 characters isn't enough period. But if thats all the characters I get I'll be a little sad but will adjust.

No Krystal, Ridley, Geno, Bomberman, Isac or Black Shadow would suck.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'd fix the 35 character roster by getting rid of it. Brawl will have at least 40 characters.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
It's a fact, this 35 roster is a joke to SSBB and a joke to the fans. There would be a lot that would have to be done to fix this. For starters getting rid of R.O.B. would be the first priority and replacing him with anyone who is deserving of the spot like Krystal, Ridley or Geno. Second would be adding more characters, 35 is decent, but 40 would be a better number, at least in my opinion anyways.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
This is what my 35 character roster would look like:

Returning Vets:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Samus
Ice Climbers
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Ness

Newcomers:

Diddy Kong
Wario
Pit
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Captain Olimar
Krystal
Wolf
Ridley
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Geno
Ike
Lucas
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
King K. Rool
Midna

S2

Smash Lord
Your additions aren't really a fix.

Removing popular characters for your choices is TC hardly "fixing" it.

In my opinion the only thing it can do to improve is not have M2 cut. 35 characters is a lot, people are greedy.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Remove
----------
ROB
Wolf
Ness

Add
----------
Krystal
Geno
K. Rool

then, it would be perfect.
Geno

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'd replace ROB with K. Rool, and add Geno and Ridley in there replacing SOMEONE, but I havent seen the rumored roster lately, so Ill need to check again.

Nitesever

Smash Cadet

In my opinion the only thing it can do to improve is not have M2 cut. 35 characters is a lot, people are greedy.
You can't be greedy about a game you feel like buying. Greediness implies that you're being given something and want more. The better the product, the more people will buy it. And for the record, this thread was meant to be an expression of what you as a consumer would like in the game, and was clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Reading comprehension for the win.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman

How is it not a "fix". He is suggesting characters and a roster that is pleaseful to almost literally every fan, particularly Star Fox, Metroid and Mario fans. The roster we have now is a complete mess and a joke. Also 35 characters in a fighting game like Smash is not a lot. Considering a game like Marvel VS Capcom 2 has 55 characters with only 2 of them being clones.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Kick out Cell Link, R.O.B, Falco and add Ridley, Issac, Krystal and Mewtwo.

But still, the 35 roster doesn't need to be fixed. All you screaming and crying are just doing it because your favorite character isn't in it.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Kick out Cell Link, R.O.B, Falco and add Ridley, Issac, Krystal and Mewtwo.

But still, the 35 roster doesn't need to be fixed. All you screaming and crying are just doing it because your favorite character isn't in it.
Sorry if this counts as a double post but:

This line tells me most of you aren't even reading his first post. He's not "screaming and crying" about roster because his favorite character is not there. He is arguing why the roster is so messed up and how it lacks creativity and uniqueness when it comes to pleasing the fans. He also proceeds to talk about how taking out some characters and adding others would help fix the roster while at the same time make it unique enough for each Smash fan to enjoy.

Wolf2280

Smash Rookie
My perfect Roster

Returning:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Gannondorf
Captain Falcon
Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Falco
Marth
Roy

Total Vets: 17

Newcomers:
Pit
Wario
Zero Suit Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Sonic
Krystal
Mega Man X
Zero
Wolf
Midna
Ridley
Leon S Kennedy (:D)
Pikmin & Olimar
Kin K Rool
NO GENO!! (Out come the flamers)

Prolly Too many 3rd Parties

Total Newcomers: 21
Total Chars: 38

Shuma

Smash Hero
This line tells me most of you aren't even reading his first post.
I did read the first post. However i assume half the thread is people crying why one of their favorite chars is not in.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
It's fake but I'd replace ROB with Heracross and I'd actually replace a bunch of characters I don't like with cool Pokemon.

Top Bottom