• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you fix a series you feel is misrepresented?

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I think that the Ultimate roster is fantastic, but could definitely use some work. I feel that a lot of series are sorely misrepresented. So I propose we fix them. How would you guys approach this?

My ideas
Misrepresented series 1: Mario
1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Bowser
6) Dr. Mario
7) Rosalina
8) Bowser Jr.
9) Piranha Plant

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Yoshi (I think Yoshi is more widely recognized as a Mario character than a Yoshi character)
4) Peach
5) Bowser
6) Rosalina
7) Bowser Jr.
8) Geno (Widely requested and lots of moveset potential)
9) Wild Card (Toad, Captain Toad, Waluigi, Pauline)

Misrepresented series 2: Legend of Zelda
1) Link
2) Sheik
3) Zelda
4) Young Link
5) Ganondorf
6) Toon Link

1) Link
2) Either Sheik or Impa
3) Zelda
4) Ganondorf
5) Toon Link
6) Skull Kid
7) Wild Card (Ghirahim, Vaati, any Champion)

Misrepresented series 3: Pokemon
1) Pikachu
2) Jigglypuff
3) Mewtwo
4) Pichu
5) Pokemon Trainer
6) Lucario
7) Greninja
8) Incineroar

1) Pikachu
2) Mewtwo
3) Pokemon Trainer
4) Sceptile
5) Lucario
6) Genesect
7) Greninja
8) Incineroar

Misrepresented series 4: Fire Emblem
1) Marth
2) Lucina
3) Ike
4) Roy
5) Chrom
6) Robin
7) Corrin

1) Marth
2) Ike
3) Roy
4) Chrom
5) Robin
6) Edelgard

(Edelgard added to add an axe user to the fray, Corrin cut because Fates sucked anyway the dragon swordfighter niche can be filled with Euden from Dragalia Lost)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Star Fox is fine in terms of characters, stages, and items.

But music...I know the composers picked the remixes so what can you do, but the lack of Star Fox 2, Zero, and Starlink tracks is disappointing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not particularly fussy about series needing fixing, but just a few:

:ultdk:: Needs more Kongs, and one other non-jungle stage. Ultimate did pretty well in fixing the previous glaring issues, though it has a long way to go.

:ultwario:: Besides the obvious issue of no Ware characters, have Wario Land anything, please. Spirits are a start, but it could at least use a stage. I would even take one from the Virtual Boy game. Also, more than just the one song.

:ultrob:: A stage, that's it. I mean, other one-off NES characters have theirs, so I don't see why he doesn't have that. :ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I wouldn’t mind so many Fire Emblem characters if there were different types of them other than sword characters. At least Corrin was different.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Maybe I wouldn’t mind so many Fire Emblem characters if there were different types of them other than sword characters. At least Corrin was different.
Don't forget the mage. I was upset too. I think hector or kent/sain would have been so much better than ike or roy.

For the zelda series I'd get rid of zelda, sheik, and ganondorf. Instead I'd add wolf link + midna, CD-i link, and the link from a link between worlds. Just to be clear link is the main character in game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Star Fox is fine in terms of characters, stages, and items.

But music...I know the composers picked the remixes so what can you do, but the lack of Star Fox 2, Zero, and Starlink tracks is disappointing.
Well, at least we got the best track from Zero.

Sector Omega is baller. :4fox:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Star fox... ohhh yeah, nothing from Star Fox 2, but there are reverent references to Star Fox Zero.

Quillion

Smash Hero
There is no such goddamn thing as "misrepresentation".

Just "I want this series/characters to be portrayed this way".

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Add unique fighters instead of clones even if they aren't as popular *coughcoughFireEmblemcoughcough*

Refrain from stupid rules that bar some fighters from being in or bar some series from having certain amounts of fighters.

Actually follow the criteria set for newcomers, barely any exceptions.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

That's why the title states "you feel".

Because it's ****ing subjective, obviously.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well, at least we got the best track from Zero.

Sector Omega is baller. :4fox:
True, but man some of the Star Fox 2 tracks would have been nuts. Oh well...

I used to believe that.

Then I saw Smash 4's Donkey Kong content.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681

Au contraire, misrepresentation is just a subjective term. You even defined it in the latter half of your post: "I want this series/characters to be portrayed this way". Reworded, this is “this is how i feel the series should be represented”.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
For the legend of zelda, I think a few things would need to happen.

1. Ganondorf needs to be reworked entirely to feel like, well, ganondorf.

2. Echo fighters for redundant characters would be added to represent more characters from the zelda lore.
  • Impa as a sheik echo.
  • Toon Zelda with Ganondorf's current moveset
  • Tetra as a toon link echo
  • Midna as a zelda echo

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
For Zelda, this stupid rule that only triforce wielders should be in needs to be removed. It makes zero sense.

This idea that Kirby is well represented with only 3 fighters is bull****. It's far from well represented with that little.

For Fire Emblem, instead of proliferating clones, they should just add unique fighters in the future even if they're not the most popular.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
In retrospect, I feel they definitely could have done FE far better. Marth would have fit fine as a sole rep in Melee. Ike was perfect for Brawl. And Robin was the best choice from Awakening. However, I kind of feel that Azura would have been a more interesting addition than Corrin. Not necessarily moveset-wise, but in what she represents. Being a singer, and lance user. And not must another lord/avatar character. Which is covered well by Marth and Robin.

At that point I do feel that Marth, Ike, Robin, Azura would be a solid lineup while only taking up 4 slots. And if they wanted to go beyond that, they could always add Anna as a unique, recurring character and a potential bow user. Or maybe Tiki - a unique, recurring character and shape shifting dragon.

And then I’ve always felt that Pokémon was wrong. The biggest thing being that Meowth should have been added my now. Jigglypuff, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar all seem like extra picks that should have been added after the anime’s second most iconic Poke.

Also Toad. Toad should have beaten out Pirhanha Plant, Bowser Jr., and Rosalina for sure.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
For Zelda, this stupid rule that only triforce wielders should be in needs to be removed. It makes zero sense.

This idea that Kirby is well represented with only 3 fighters is bull****. It's far from well represented with that little.

For Fire Emblem, instead of proliferating clones, they should just add unique fighters in the future even if they're not the most popular.
You can't just replace clones with unique fighters...

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The Kirby series is not misrepresented, it has all the basic main characters in the roster and all; but so far, it's like if Mario only had Mario, Luigi and Bowser.
The series has evolved and went through many different cycles.
I think a big part of the Kirby series is still not represented and that's unfair.

What I would add/change?
I would add 2 characters, for a total of 5.
-1 character from the games directed by Shinichi Shimomura (Dream Land 2, 3 and 64)
-1 character from the modern series (All what comes from after the soft reboot of Nightmare in Dreamland, especially since the Wii game).

Also, I would like to represent some recurring categories of characters that are still missing from representation:
-Friendly character (not a villain turned good), Humanoid/fairy-like, magical artist
-Final boss with creepy final form, betrayer, mage/wizard

The two characters are obviously Adeleine & Ribbon, and Magolor.
I'm not a big fan of Magolor, but I think that he would be the best character to represent the modern Kirby games, as he's the most iconic of the bunch.

Some bonus stuff that could be added to improve representation are the Animal Friends (Rick, Kine and Coo) as assist trophies and Galacta Knight as a Metaknight echo.

final roster:
-Kirby
-King Dedede
-Metaknight
-Adeleine & Ribbon
-Magolor

echoes:
-Galacta Knight

The Zelda series instead needs some more work.

Lets start with the characters who I think should be kept as they are:
-Link
-Zelda
-Ganondorf

Let's say, forget about everything else for now.

About Link:
We have many different versions of Link, but I think that all what we need is just 1 Link. Not even Toon Link... What's the point of having another version of the same character if all what it represent is just a different art style? Then we should have Classic Sonic, Classic Pit, 8-bit Mario, etc.
I think they should get enough self confidence and scrap the Link clones, they are unneeded.
If anything, you can keep Young Link, as long as you give him an original moveset based on the ocarina and the masks... but even that is a bit too much fanservice and not really needed. But you know what? Young Link with masks can represent three of the most iconic races from the Zelda series, Deku, Goron and Zoras, so, I'm not sure.

Zelda:
Zelda is fine... yeah. If they want to keep this regular/toon distinction, then I think they should also add Tetra to represent the "toon" version of her, but as I said, I think that separating regular and toon as different characters is as much unneeded as having Doctor Mario along with Mario as a separate character.
Well, at least Tetra would get an original moveset... but it's a low priority IMO.

Ganondorf:
Aside of changing his moveser a bit to match his source material more, Ganondorf is fine as he is.
But Ganondorf is not enough. I think he is ok, but limiting Ganon to just a final smash is a waste of potential.
Ganon has a specific classic design that's very iconic and has been recurring in a lot of games.
So, I would keep Ganondorf and add Ganon too as a separate character.

now let's add some characters:

Impa:
It's Sheik. Sheik is not relevant anymore, Impa it's a better character to represent the sheikah. Aside of the name and appearance change, she can keep the same gameplay as Sheik for what I care.

Ganon:
The blue pig with a golden trident. Based on his classic design, this character would represent the classic games in the series, from the very first game to A Link to the Past, including all those remakes/sequels made in more recent times that are still based on ALttP design-wise (4 sword adventure, A Link Between Worlds).

Tingle:
Come on.
You know, he's ugly, he's a joke character, and all, but all things considered... he has been an important character in the series for many years, he has got some spin-offs where he was the protagonist (most of them were Japan exclusives though), and uhm... well... yeah, he's that type of character that Smash needs, those characters who you shouldn't take seriously, those character who are there for the WTF factor and for being funny.
Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant to name a few.

That's it

final roster:
-Link
-Zelda
-Ganondorf
-Impa
-Ganon
-Tingle

Mario (not counting the Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario sub-series):

1: Toad.

For many years I agreed with Sakurai's choice of not including Toad, because, while he's an important recurring character, he never had anything special to add; he most of the times just jumps and runs, or does exactly what Mario does (probably the same reason why Slippy and Peppy are not in after all those years despite being main characters).
Not even Captain Toad in Super Mario Galaxy changed my mind...
But then, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker happend.
Now Toad is not much different than Yoshi: he has a spin-off series, with a specific gameplay associated to him. I think that because of this, he now has no reason to be absent from the roster.
He should definitely be in, but not as Captain Toad... I think he should be in as Toad, just Toad (the captain can be a costume).
Not just that, but Toadette has got some spotight as well and she can work very well as a Toad alt.
Toad can even stay in Peach's moveset, and at the same time be his own character in a separate slot; there is no problem with that as there are multiple toads in Mario's universe, and there are cases of the same character appearing multiple times in separate character slots (Samus/Zero Suit Samus).

2: Doctor Mario can be a costume, there is absolutely NO need to have him in the roster.

3: For some reason I think that Bowser Jr is a weak choice as a character... I think that he is a bit too much "secondary" as a character, kinda the same as what I think of Sheik. Well, Bowser Jr appeared in many more games and there is also Baby Bowser who's technically a different character, but they are very similar and it works well to represent him as well. Also, he adds some original gameplay involving the Clown Car... and he includes the Koopalings.
Though, I think that Bowser already represents the Koopa species well enough, and IMO Bowser Jr is not really needed. His gameplay, while original, is also a bit generic: it doesn't represent iconic game mechanics/game elements nor the character is iconic himself (unlike Rosalina). The two good things it does (representing the clown car and hammers) could simply be added to Bowser himself by updating his moveset. So, I'm all for combining the two movesets into one and improving Bowser instead, while removing Bowser Jr. But this is not much important, I'm also fine with just having more characters.

4: I would change Luigi to be even more different from Mario, and to be based even more on Luigi's Mansion. Well, to be honest, I would even remove him from the Mario series and consider him as part of his own series, along with E. Gadd as a newcomer sometime in the future.

5: I would remove the F.L.U.D.D. from Mario, and eventually transform it into an item that everyone can use... that and make it so that it cleans Inkling's ink.
Or, even better, give it to E. Gadd along with Bowser Jr's paintbrush and other gimmicks, and build a moveset around that.

final roster:
-Mario
-Peach
-Toad
-Bowser
-Rosalina & Luma
-Piranha Plant

echoes:
-Daisy

new sub-series - Luigi's Mansion:
-Luigi
-E. Gadd

In total, that's 6 newcomers, 1 new echo, and some veteran movesets revamped... it's quite a lot of work for just 3 series (even though they are important series) but I'd rather have this than more unnecessary gimmicks such as the custom moves in Smash 4.

There is more about other series, but I think the post is already long enough.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Eh, I'll just do the whole roster from scratch seperated into individual series:

roster redo.png

In depth:

My rule: No multiples of the same character. So no Zelda and Sheik, no trio of Links, or duo of Samuses, or multiple Marios. None of that thank you very much.

Mario: Breaking Mario down to it's core cast(plus Wario). You could technically just have Mario, Peach, Bowser and Jr rep Super Mario and have Luigi, Captain Toad, Yoshi and Wario rep their own franchises instead as Luigi's Mansion is bigger than most of the niche series here and Captain Toad's spirit is listed under his own name rather than "Super Mario Series". Dr. Mario can be an alt outfit for Mario, fireballs be damned.

DK: I was umming and erring about Funky, but decided to add him in the end. Funky Mode after all is a thing. DK, Diddy, K. Rool and Dixie should be self explanatory.

Zelda: Triforce trio is standard, but honestly I don't buy into the whole 'we need a young Link' mantra Sakurai has. One Link is fine. One Zelda is fine too, Impa replaces Sheik, and we get some note worthy characters instead. Tingle was in a hell of a lot of Zelda games, like it or lump it so he's in. Midna is a fan favourite ally, Vaati represents the toon series and is the second most reoccurring antagonist and Ghirahim is...well he's both a fan favourite like Midna, a noteworty weirdo like Tingle and a pretty significant antagonist like Vaati.

Kirby: Obviously adding Dee to the trio as he's become the forth member and Waddle Dees are a big part of the Kirby franchise, but also adding Gooey, aka the original player 2 character in Kirby and Dark Matter for a memorable antagonist.

Pokemon: Jigglypuff gets scrapped for Meowth, because dammit if we have to have an anime based pick, let's at least get the reoccurring antagonist. Trainer's Pokemon get shaken up to rep more gens, but Charizard sticks around since he's so popular. Maybe Rowlet and Dewott? Who knows, take your picks to replace Squirtle and Ivysaur. Eevee, like Meowth, is a very popular Pokemon and one who has never really lost it's popularity. Blaziken, as similar as he is to Captain Falcon also makes the cut for Gen 3 and for having lasting popularity. Rest of the Pokemon are the same, although on the fence about Incineroar. He could remain, I'm not really sure. I cut him only to give the same number of characters as Mario and Zelda.

Metroid:
Remains the same, but due to my rule Zero Suit is cut. Yeah I know she plays differently, but I don't care.

Starfox:
Remains the same but adds Krystal and Slippy who can offer some unique playstyles thanks to Krystal's staff and Starfox Guard being a thing.

Fire Emblem:
Marth's sort of the mascot character so he remains.
Roy gets cut in favour of the more popular GBA lord(and his potential mother) Lyndis,
Ike as THE most popular character stays,
As does Robin who offers a mage moveset.
Chrom sticks around as a middle ground for Marth and Ike and Awakening was a big enough deal I feel it can have two characters dedicated to it.
Lucina is cut, but Marth has a 'masked Marth' costume to reference her.
Corrin as the only transformation character from FE on the roster remains and Anna picks up the slack for variety by being a jack of all trades using a moveset consisting of axes, lances, bows, magic and yes, a bit of swordplay too.

Animal Crossing:
Villager and Isabelle return, get joined by Tom Nook. Animal Crossing is large enough to warrant three characters and Nook can offer a new twist with the way he can deliver furniture to unsuspecting Smashers.

Every other series: One character a piece. These other series are relatively niche, apart from Splatoon and Pikmin, so they remain at one a piece.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
All I'm asking is that they stop including nothing but SF2 tracks in Suzaku Castle. The Street Fighter series has had great music throughout its history, and I think it's extremely underwhelming to include only a fourth of it in Ultimate.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All I'm asking is that they stop including nothing but SF2 tracks in Suzaku Castle. The Street Fighter series has had great music throughout its history, and I think it's extremely underwhelming to include only a fourth of it in Ultimate.
This, I was looking forward to the fact that we were getting more Street fighter content in Smash when they showed "Everyone is here!" But only having SF2 songs kinda ruined that excitement a bit. Some third strike and V music would have been awesome, can you imagine rashid' s theme being in the game? Hype going up to 11.

We should have gotten Sakura's theme at least, I consider that song the best one in the franchise.

And speaking of Capcom, put a Battle Network and legends songs in Wily castle, those two series deserve the recognition.

Top Bottom