• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How will we organize online smashing on SWF?

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was wondering if any of you "higher ups" had plans to run an online tournament or something when Brawl comes out. I imagine that everyone that wants to enter will post their Wii friend code, then a bracket will be drawn up. A set time will be compromised so that everyone will be able to participate. After the match, the replays could be sent to the person who's in charge to confirm the win. What do you think? Too much trouble? I think it would work, and it would help out those (like myself) who can't attend official tournaments.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Id would be a little complicated, and might take a little time but I think it would work

Kentalish

Smash Lord
well im sorry that some of us cant afford to go to those tournys... plus this way we can see stats so we dont play against really hard people or if u wanted to play agains somone who will pwn u its up to u lol.

but yea

iMichael

Smash Lord
well im sorry that some of us cant afford to go to those tournys... plus this way we can see stats so we dont play against really hard people or if u wanted to play agains somone who will pwn u its up to u lol.

but yea
I'm not the type of person who keeps posting back like that ....so I understand where your coming from .....

SWORDMASTER X7

Smash Cadet
OR you guys could go to some real tournaments....
A lot of people can't go to tournaments for various reasons. And some people will want to do both real tournies and online ones. So if SWF could find an effective way to do online tournaments, I think it would be a very good idea. Sure it isn't as cool as being in a real tourney, but it still will probably be pretty fun.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
An easy online tourney model is this:

Two official judges, two players. Since there's no ranking, the judges can self-destruct without penalty. When the judges are out of the match, specing the whole thing is when the real match would begin. Judges report the result, move onto the next heat, etc etc. It'd be a little more relaxed, I imagine, while at the same time having some tenseness what with the whole unseen fights aspect.

It'd be helpful considering that you can't always say for sure a match will last within 3 minutes, at start or finish.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Yes. I'm 14 years old and only a mere freshman in High School, so I'm sure my parents will have nothing against me going across the country to play a video game.

Did I mention I have school, meaning a VERY limited schedule?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
An easy online tourney model is this:

Two official judges, two players. Since there's no ranking, the judges can self-destruct without penalty. When the judges are out of the match, specing the whole thing is when the real match would begin. Judges report the result, move onto the next heat, etc etc. It'd be a little more relaxed, I imagine, while at the same time having some tenseness what with the whole unseen fights aspect.

It'd be helpful considering that you can't always say for sure a match will last within 3 minutes, at start or finish.
That is a really good idea since i am beginning to doubt a spectator mode ever being implemented

Zeela12

Smash Ace
when the time comes, I think it would be nice if we have a section just so we all add each other and that way we all have a more variety of people we can smash with online.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
I wonder if Sakurai thought of online tourney

It would be like
Play with friends
Play aganst anyone
Tourney with Friends
Start Tourney
Tourney with anyone

You could start your own tourney shoosing the stuff, the number of players, the number of combatints, then you start. Other people looking for a tourney will come up and they will all be in. If someone quits, then that person who was supposed to fight them would get an auto victory.

Mordraug

Smash Cadet
Some people are from small towns where no one around will host one, and even if they did you are still the best around, which isn't saying much...

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Some people are from small towns where no one around will host one, and even if they did you are still the best around, which isn't saying much...
I refuse to believe anyone lives in a small town. I refuse to believe people don't all have the same privileges. *covers ears* LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALA

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Gamebattle and MLG picked up a Brawl ladder already., so that is probably the best place to compete at. Rather than the gametbattles forums, we can still create teams, and discuss the ladder here on SWF.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Its true, there will never be a substitute for playing face to face with your opponent. But even for people who can go to tournaments, this is a decent option.

Yes. I'm 14 years old and only a mere freshman in High School, so I'm sure my parents will have nothing against me going across the country to play a video game.

Did I mention I have school, meaning a VERY limited schedule?
I'm in college, yet I still find time to go to tournaments.

Can't find a tournament? Check the regional boards for local tournaments or tournaments that you want to travel to.

Limited Schedual? Tournaments don't often happen on weekdays, so you can easily go on weekends.

Want to find local players? Use GSC.

Seriously, online was never intended to replace mainstream gameplay due to specific requierments that can easily be broken while playing online. Going to/ being successful at tournaments isn't an option that can adapt to your schedual or convenience. You want to play big? be more dedicated.

No Johns.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I can't wait to play the users here in Brawl. I wish I could play all of you in Melee but that can't happen. Online play is going to be great. Of course going to a tournament and meeting real people will always be the best but there is no way online play is going to overrule real life tournaments.

Mama

Smash Ace
I don't think there'll be tournaments in here but I do think that people will do match making on the forums now and again.

Poster 1: Man you're sych a noob. I bet you don't know squat

Poster 2: See me in some Brawl online bich

Poster 1: Okay (exchange codes *ugh*)

Or

Poster 1: Hey I see you on the forums a lot want to play Brawl?

Poster 2: Sure

Off topic, OP I love your sig. (Although I still use lol seeing as typing hahaha to show laughter is silly imo.) I tend to watch my grammar and spelling everywhere I type.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
i think mlg will make something like they have for pokemon diamond and pearl.

its called game battles, its like a ladder kinda,

exchange freind codes over aim or something then make a game battle, connect, then report

not that hard except for the quitters and non reporters.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
One other reason I haven't traveled to any "real" tournaments is because I never wanted to get into the competitive scene. Perhaps I was a bit intimidated. I think the informality of online play would counteract my shyness. If that makes sense. :D If I liked it enough, I might decide to travel to an official tourney.

slayert3ch

Smash Apprentice
One other reason I haven't traveled to any "real" tournaments is because I never wanted to get into the competitive scene. Perhaps I was a bit intimidated. I think the informality of online play would counteract my shyness. If that makes sense. :D If I liked it enough, I might decide to travel to an official tourney.
That Seems to be my prob also.:( ....... and I am not a noob ,to these forums yes, but to smash heck no!

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
the biggest problem with online tournaments would simply be the amount of time it would take to implement, not to mention that, unlike REAL tournaments, there'd be no payout. As much as you may dislike it, all regular tournaments ARE usually held for a pot (especially MLG sanctioned ones like Super Champ Combo) and it'd be literally impossible for that to work.

In terms of smaller, 'just for fun' tournaments, that'd be down on the respective members trying to hold it to get it to work. But remember what you're saying:

--First, you need to make brackets.
--Then, you need to make sure everyone has each other's friend codes.
--Then you have to have some way to officiate EACH and EVERY match- that means at least one judge per match (as someone earlier suggested, possibly two, but that would be even more tedious, since you'd need twice as many judges)

This may not sound like a lot, but I've held wifi tournaments for DS games myself, and I can tell you that even a simpler tournament format like round robin (running under the honor system, mind you, meaning NO judges) can take in excess of 6 hours. Co-ordinating many people over the internet to play each other, and making sure each of their matches gets a judge in it, would be very time consuming, and most people would have neither the time nor the patience to put up with something like that.

Is it impossible? No. But impractical? Very much so, especially considering it'd just be for fun.

Now, if you did round robin under the honor system (I would hope that, with no pot on the line, smashers would have a bit of integrity) then a tournament could probably go a lot more smoothly. Actually, under the honor system, even brackets would be possible if the turnout was too big for round robin.

Regardless, if you wish to undertake that difficult process when Brawl finally releases, I wish you good luck and hope that things go as smoothly as possible.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I daresay a 14 year old is in a far different situation than a college student. If I don't want to go to class I don't have too. When your 14 the school will usually call your parents to see if you are sick. No, I'm suggesting that he needs to skip school to go to a tourney what I am trying to explain is that your life as a college student =/= his life as a HS freshman.

edit: Oh, I guess I should say something about online smash. Uh, no comment. ;)

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
i think mlg will make something like they have for pokemon diamond and pearl.

its called game battles, its like a ladder kinda,

exchange freind codes over aim or something then make a game battle, connect, then report

not that hard except for the quitters and non reporters.

Yea, exactly what I suggested. People will use GB, and all is well for a Winter 08 ladder.

Tagxy

Smash Lord

Can't find a tournament? Check the regional boards for local tournaments or tournaments that you want to travel to.

Limited Schedual? Tournaments don't often happen on weekdays, so you can easily go on weekends.

Want to find local players? Use GSC.

Seriously, online was never intended to replace mainstream gameplay due to specific requierments that can easily be broken while playing online. Going to/ being successful at tournaments isn't an option that can adapt to your schedual or convenience. You want to play big? be more dedicated.

No Johns.
Terrible post. Just because you don't have a life doesnt mean others don't. You're from long beach, how do you know what it's like to live in the middle of nowhere?

Top Bottom