• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well do you place in tournaments with the dark lord?

Candlejack

Smash Rookie
NNID
RestoringLife
I was just curious on how everyone else places with him in tournaments.
I've only been to 3 local tournaments, and I'm going to my 3rd this Tuesday. Still working on that tourney shyness.

1 ranking 2nd place, and 2 ranking 3rd place.

This is more or less for me to get knowledge on how everyone else is doing, how competitive other states are, maybe even get to view some tournament play from other Ganondorf's, and just a small thread for fun.

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone know how well Gungnir places in tournaments as well?
Thanks in advance, it's been something I've been curious about for a while.

Illusions4

Smash Rookie
I play at Versus in South Florida. A lot of "pros" play there every Thursday for the locals. (8bitman, Seibrik, Xaltis, MVD, Nickriddle just to name a few)

They're always at the top of the bracket.

As far as my placing goes, I make it out into about the 3rd or 4th round in winners, but then I'd have to play said good players and continue to get stomped lol.

I'm really pleased with the progress Ganondorf is making. Slowly but surely he's becoming a problem to deal with.

P.S.
I play a pocket Pit for the really bad match-ups. i.e. Robin, Sheik, Sonic and ROB

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Here is a 2 VS. 2 tournament I won with my teammate Haru Akenaga: http://challonge.com/gho3htm5

I used Ganondorf in all three matches of round 2, as well as the first two matches of the finals, while my partner used Shulk in every match.

Here is one of the matches against Lord Tentacruel & ZinogreVolt:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I haven't been to a tournament in over a month (family crisis turned tragedy), but at the last tournament I went to, I placed 9th. Both the players I lost to were on the same doubles team, and took 2nd place in doubles. One of them was even game 3 last-hit-last-stock.

I've improved a lot since then, and I plan on attending Fire and Dice #8 this Sunday. I'll let you know how that goes.

Candlejack

Smash Rookie
NNID
RestoringLife
I haven't been to a tournament in over a month (family crisis turned tragedy), but at the last tournament I went to, I placed 9th. Both the players I lost to were on the same doubles team, and took 2nd place in doubles. One of them was even game 3 last-hit-last-stock.

I've improved a lot since then, and I plan on attending Fire and Dice #8 this Sunday. I'll let you know how that goes.
I'm sorry to hear about your crisis. I'll be rooting for you. Will this tournament be streamed anywhere?

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I'm sorry to hear about your crisis. I'll be rooting for you. Will this tournament be streamed anywhere?
This venue literally just got streaming equipment, so if I end up on stream, it'll be at http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames

I've never been on stream before, so if I make it, it'll be an experience!

It's a customs-legal tournament, too, so I'll finally get a chance to practice using these moves in tournament.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Update: 16th place. Close games, but it was my first tournament using customs, so muscle memory worked against me. I did get a sword kill! Crowd loved that. The shield pressure also helped net another kill. Unfortunately, I SD'd twice, so the rust is showing.

Not sure if I like drop kick that much. It's much less useful at close range, which I could definitely feel. The recovery boost kinda helped, but I might go back to 2121.

Last edited:

Illusions4

Smash Rookie
I think I'm going to start posting my placing of weekly/monthly local standings on this thread. Last week I placed 11th. Progress is showing! ^-^

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
I've been placing 5th or 7th in most of our weekly locals here in Vegas. Lower if I'm having an off day though, lol

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
First tourney came in third, lost badly to Boss.

Second, was a round robin and iirc I was tied for second or third again.

Saturday I'm going to KTAR and will let you know how it goes.

TheArabSamurai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheArabSamurai
3DS FC
5172-1967-5562
I've attended 2 tourneys so far this year, placed relatively well both times and showed a strong performance. First tournament I tied for 9th, second tournament tied for 13th. Both tourneys had 50~60 people.

If it counts for anything, I've beaten the top player in my region in a friendlies set earlier this month.

Last edited:

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Placed 1st in Fort Smash I on Dec 2014

4th place in Fort Smash II Jan 2015(taken down by a R.O.B)

2nd place in another Smash 4 singles last month(taken down by lucario Grand finals)

Now I'm gonna try an online tourney since I got spring break and there's no Smash 4 tourney happening this month in Arkansas

Zigludo

Smash Journeyman
I play at Versus in South Florida. A lot of "pros" play there every Thursday for the locals. (8bitman, Seibrik, Xaltis, MVD, Nickriddle just to name a few)

They're always at the top of the bracket.

As far as my placing goes, I make it out into about the 3rd or 4th round in winners, but then I'd have to play said good players and continue to get stomped lol.

I'm really pleased with the progress Ganondorf is making. Slowly but surely he's becoming a problem to deal with.

P.S.
I play a pocket Pit for the really bad match-ups. i.e. Robin, Sheik, Sonic and ROB

Yoo! I thought I was the only Ganon at Versus, how come I've never seen you there? You should hit me up for friendlies at the next weekly, I'm the tall white dude with glasses who plays Ganon in every game. We can talk Ganon stuff, should be fun. I don't think it can be this week though, because the Melee/PM monthly is on Saturday and they usually don't run the weekly on the same week as the monthly.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
My recent IRL tournament experience made me realize that I've never had to face actually good opponents before. That, and news of Ganon custom combos I hadn't thought existed, have inspired me to go back to the lab and show up early to the next tournament for all the friendlies.

My recent IRL tournament experience has also made me realize everyone loves Ganon mains, and for all the right reasons.

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
First online tourney I entered today as Ganon got curbstomped by diddy.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
My recent IRL tournament experience made me realize that I've never had to face actually good opponents before. That, and news of Ganon custom combos I hadn't thought existed, have inspired me to go back to the lab and show up early to the next tournament for all the friendlies.

My recent IRL tournament experience has also made me realize everyone loves Ganon mains, and for all the right reasons.
This is why I feel it's always important to put one's placings into context. It's more meaningful in terms of skill assessment to place 33rd in a national and have beaten good players than place high in a local where no strong players showed.

Not to say any win isn't an earned, proud win, but in a competitive setting, it's not always fair to everyone else if one person is placing top 5 consistently, while the others get top 10, but the top 5 placer fails to mention the details of the tournament, i.e. their competition isn't comparable.

More onto your intended point though, the difference in player quality between online and tournaments can be astounding. Not to mention, the atmosphere's dramatically different, too: you have two rounds to figure your opponent out, and have to deal with the pressure.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
This is why I feel it's always important to put one's placings into context. It's more meaningful in terms of skill assessment to place 33rd in a national and have beaten good players than place high in a local where no strong players showed.

More onto your intended point though, the difference in player quality between online and tournaments can be astounding. Not to mention, the atmosphere's dramatically different, too: you have two rounds to figure your opponent out, and have to deal with the pressure.
Two rounds with only two stocks is a really short time indeed, but I do really well with people watching. I'm a former stage actor, so having a crowd watching me and making noise is very relaxing to me. Midgame chatter helps me focus.

Even so, irl tournaments aren't even comparable to online, and very different even compared to irl at one's own house. Even a change of venue can have a subtle, yet drastic effect on how you play. All that said, though? I like it. The Smash community really is very welcoming and friendly.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Two rounds with only two stocks is a really short time indeed, but I do really well with people watching. I'm a former stage actor, so having a crowd watching me and making noise is very relaxing to me. Midgame chatter helps me focus.

Even so, irl tournaments aren't even comparable to online, and very different even compared to irl at one's own house. Even a change of venue can have a subtle, yet drastic effect on how you play. All that said, though? I like it. The Smash community really is very welcoming and friendly.
Very nice. A good buddy of mine's a stage actor himself, and he says similar things about tourneys! He's used to performing under pressure. But yeah, glad you had a good experience, dude. The Smash community truly can be awesome. Like any other gathering of people, politics and drama will emerge in some form, but it's pretty easy to avoid in Smash, and it's rare compared to other fighting game communities.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Very nice. A good buddy of mine's a stage actor himself, and he says similar things about tourneys! He's used to performing under pressure. But yeah, glad you had a good experience, dude. The Smash community truly can be awesome. Like any other gathering of people, politics and drama will emerge in some form, but it's pretty easy to avoid in Smash, and it's rare compared to other fighting game communities.
In Smash, I feel like politics is generally confined to forums and reddit. In person, people whip out Melee or PM after the tournament is over and we'll take turns playing all the games because goddamn it, they're all fun, and everyone knows it. The only concern anyone ever seems to have is that we might not have the hardware to make a setup.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In Smash, I feel like politics is generally confined to forums and reddit. In person, people whip out Melee or PM after the tournament is over and we'll take turns playing all the games because goddamn it, they're all fun, and everyone knows it. The only concern anyone ever seems to have is that we might not have the hardware to make a setup.
Last tournament I went to, (about a month ago, I placed 2nd in an 8 man Round Robin, only losing to a Sheik player), one of the people I beat was a guy who was calling the game "Trash 4". He played Ness, and for a moment thought he had a chance of winning against Ganondorf.

You can imagine how I felt after I made it extremely clear to him that Ganondorf tolerates no disrespect. People around me said things like "Ganondorf is good?!"

Frankly, I still suffer from tournament nerves given I rarely get out of my home. That particular tournament also I knew I was primarily able to do well because most of the competition minus the Sheik player was not particularly skilled.

Even so, I know that I was capable of more. First place was not out of my grasp. I did lack matchup experience against Sheik, and I still legitimately felt I could hold my own and make the games relatively close.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Last tournament I went to, (about a month ago, I placed 2nd in an 8 man Round Robin, only losing to a Sheik player), one of the people I beat was a guy who was calling the game "Trash 4". He played Ness, and for a moment thought he had a chance of winning against Ganondorf.

You can imagine how I felt after I made it extremely clear to him that Ganondorf tolerates no disrespect. People around me said things like "Ganondorf is good?!"

Frankly, I still suffer from tournament nerves given I rarely get out of my home. That particular tournament also I knew I was primarily able to do well because most of the competition minus the Sheik player was not particularly skilled.

Even so, I know that I was capable of more. First place was not out of my grasp. I did lack matchup experience against Sheik, and I still legitimately felt I could hold my own and make the games relatively close.
I get the strangest feeling he wouldn't have done any better at a Melee/PM tournament and damn well knows it.

I'm fortunate enough to say everyone I've met at all my tournaments to date have been bros. We even give each other rides home if it's not our of our way.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I get the strangest feeling he wouldn't have done any better at a Melee/PM tournament and damn well knows it.

I'm fortunate enough to say everyone I've met at all my tournaments to date have been bros. We even give each other rides home if it's not our of our way.
Yeah, I think most people I've met at tournament are generally pretty great people overall. I usually also have a good time trying to help people learn how to get better as well in person. Just that one cocky dude amused me. He wasn't necessarily awful at the game, but I was proud of maintaining my cool under pressure and sealing his stock with U-air gimps and ledge trump B-airs.

Illusions4

Smash Rookie
Yoo! I thought I was the only Ganon at Versus, how come I've never seen you there? You should hit me up for friendlies at the next weekly, I'm the tall white dude with glasses who plays Ganon in every game. We can talk Ganon stuff, should be fun. I don't think it can be this week though, because the Melee/PM monthly is on Saturday and they usually don't run the weekly on the same week as the monthly.
I've seen your tag on the weeklies. I'm there every week. I'll keep my eyes peeled. My tag is Bruh.

Candlejack

Smash Rookie
NNID
RestoringLife
Thanks for all the sharing so far, everyone. I would love to get a chance to play all of you sometime. I went to a tournament recently and got taken out by two of the best players in my state. Doombot, a Greninja player. and Fatality, a Captain Falcon.

I got 6th place, which isn't bad considering there were so many people there. I definitely choked against Doombot. He's a great player but I have beaten him before, I was focused too much on winning due to the big names at the tourney.

Fatality, on the other hand.. It wasn't even a competition. Straight up destroyed me.

Top Bottom